Sign in to follow this  
PapaGheny

Topical Infection stories, remedies, or advice

Well Caps, I can back you up on the all-heal. I'm figuring I learned that one in your parts, because up this far north folk try to correct me to “self-heal” all the time. Any more I don't use it a whole lot topically. It always works great, its just that it has so many other wonderful uses. I tend keep my store for those and go to one of the other abundant topicals. That said I'm strait to it if a soars throat shows risk of infection.

And I can say that more than once as a kid a dog has taken care of cuts and scraps and they stayed infection free. Although I'd say there is a lot of factors in that one I think keeps it from being a goto.

I figure I've been under using yarrow. This summer it was most of my study and experimentation with herbs. I have been quite happy with it, particularly for wound closing.

IslandBruja, I did read your post on garlic. I'm not sure we will ever be inventive enough to run out of uses for garlic. Your post reminded me of absorbing strong herbs for targeting local effects. Like garlic in your shoe for a deep infection in the leg.

You also mentioned apple cider vinegar. I wonder if anyone here has read any of D. C. Jarvis M.D.'s books. I found him to be a bit of an one trick pony when it comes to oxymels, but he dose a very good job of outlining his research and showing a range of possible uses.

Yarrow is one of my go-to's as well. Its prolific where I live, so its really convenient, and it works. I also happen to love how it smells. I've used it as a compress with comfrey and I've infused it with oils and made balms from that for cuts/scrapes. Its helpful in tea also, has a very medicinal taste though.  ACV is good for everything so I spring for the good stuff (braggs) and typically dilute it if its not going into food or something else.. I've only ever used garlic topically once and havent since, only because the smell seeps in and stays strong, ahahha. I like garlic a lot but not smelling like it. I eat it when im sick and it speeds up the healing process, but i will smell like it still. Powerful stuff haha.

For you that are using honey, where do you source your honey? I have a really hard time finding any that isnt clover honey or processed in some way.

For you that are using honey, where do you source your honey? I have a really hard time finding any that isnt clover honey or processed in some way.

Do you have any health food stores in your area? They will typically carry various types of honey that are raw and hopefully local as well... Can't tell from your profile where you're located so can't make any specific recommendations otherwise, but I noticed you liked my beeswax candle post and they actually sell honey too in their "accessories" section, so if you're planning on ordering sugar skull candles you can try some:

https://www.bigdipperwaxworks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=322&ParentCat=34

Edited by IslandBruja

Awesome, thanks. I have that store open in a tab for my next impulse purchase, haha. I rarely go into health food stores, but it makes sense they would have it there. Last time I went in was ages ago to buy a "specialty" item i didnt want to order online and have shipped. Now that I'm thinking of it, Im sure one store near me has bees and should have raw honey. I used to use a lot of honey in tea and havent for a long time now just because my taste buds prefer less sweetness these days (thank gods for that too). Never bothered with the raw vs processed or clover vs bee, but it didnt matter for my purposes.

Dunno if anyone has posted this.  Vetiver oil is antibacterial, antifungal, and mildly anti-inflammatory.  It's good stuff and also helps to prevent scarring.  Highly recommended.

I just saw the honey question now... Calin Rua, have you looked into whether there is a local apiarist guild? Small scale beekeepers produce honey that has an extra sort of oomph, and there seems to be something special about getting it from near your home. I don't know, maybe it's worth checking whether your local guild has a website?

Another good place to find beekeepers is a farmers market. If none of them sell there someone may know where to find them. That's where I get my good honey then I keep a jar of passable but cheep stuff for day to day use. That said I definitely agree that local honey has yielded the best results for me.

On the essential oils front. I've only been studying and experimenting with a couple of years now. The more I learn the less I find them a good substation for other methods. As it stands I have only found them remarkable for mood altering aromatherapy. I have found some affective for pain management and rash. However, not effective enough to replace salutations that are cheaper, easier to get, easier to work with, and comparable in effect. Not only that but there is an absurd amount of misinformation about them in mass media and in published works. So, my question is. Dose anyone know any good works on the topic to for someone putting together a useful course of study?

I would greatly appreciate it. I can't help but think that this could be a useful tool if properly understood.

Papa, my go-to essential oil author is Valerie Worwood. There's another good one, too, but I'm not in the office (where my reference books are) to look. Will look tomorrow.

Dunno if anyone has posted this.  Vetiver oil is antibacterial, antifungal, and mildly anti-inflammatory.  It's good stuff and also helps to prevent scarring.  Highly recommended.

Not very familiar with this- so excuse stupid question.  Do you use a vetiver essential oil or is it a different form?

Yes, the essential oil.  The documentation of it's properties are extensively researched.

Essential oils are always my go-to for first aid, Lavender and Lemongrass oils are a must have in my first aid kit for any kind of infection.

A true cure-all, lavender essential oil is antibacterial, antiviral and antiinflammatory
properties which soothe skin rashes and many other skin infections. Furthermore, lavender essential oil
speeds up the healing process of scrapes, bruises and insect bites or stings.
Lavender oil is mild enough that it doesn't need a carrier oil; it can be used directly on the skin to do its magic.

If you are suffering from Athlete's foot or other fungal skin infections lemongrass essential oil should be your go-to
remedy, since it is considered the best essential oil to treat fungal infections. Furthermore, it can be used to sterilize
pores, serves as a natural toner and strengthens skin tissue, making it an effective cleanser for all skin types.
However, if you have sensitive skin, lemongrass oil may create a rash, discomfort or even a burning sensation. Also,
pregnant women should not use lemongrass essential oil because it stimulates menstrual flow which on very rare
occasions may lead to a miscarriage.

That said it's always good practice to use a carrier oil, as essential oils are volatile and will evaporate before completing their task, with the one exception noted above.

Here's a couple from my book of cures;

Plantain Ointment

Apply a lump of the ointment to the entry point of any infection, puncture wound, bee sting, snake bite,
or other venomous bite. Place a band-aid over the area and leave on until melted and dissipating, then
replace with a new lump. Do not clean off, just add more if and as needed.

Plantain Ointment (2 oz)
This ointment is always made with the fresh plantain leaves. I am non-plussed with what is being made
commercially, so I usually make my own. Ointments are all made as described below, but with plantain
we always use the fresh, undried leaves as the dried leaves do not work for this purpose. They are very
good for lots of things, but not for drawing out venom and poison. These must be fresh, undried.
Ointments at my house are made by filling a container (usually a glass bread pan) with the herbs as
tightly packed as I can get them. I always use cut herbs for an ointment. Over this I pour extra virgin
olive oil or Bertolli extra light olive oil. The herbs should be covered by an inch of oil in the breadpan
model. Next to it I put a glass container (usually a pint jar) with enough beeswax so that when it is
melted it equals 1/8 the total volume of oil that you used (so you should measure how much oil you add
to the herbs). These are placed in the oven at 180-200 Degrees F. This is kept here for 4 hours. Note: we
have had a little more control over heat using a toaster oven and many companies use lower
temperatures in a chaffing dish for 24-72 hours to avoid damaging with heat many of the delicate
constituents of the herbs. I personally have never seen the benefit except in a handful of cases (arnica
and calendula, for example, both flowers), so I use the oven and I believe this makes the strongest
ointment. Strict raw foodists may feel better about the chaffing dish plan. I repeat, however, that the
goal here is potency to save lives. We will worry about perfection when the emergency is past!
The herbs in the ointment should turn brown and crisp as the value is drawn into the ointment. In the
case of plantain, the ointment will dry green!
When we are done, we take the herbs and oil and strain it through a wire strainer into a container with a
wide mouth that can be used to dispense the ointment. Then the wax is added and stirred in while it
cools. Often, I put it into a pan of cold water to help cool it faster. I will also often make up more wax
than I think I need since consistency varies and more wax may be needed to make it solid enough to not
leak out of the container easily. The ointment can be tested by dipping a finger or a wooden spoon into
it and then into cold/ice water. The ointment sets up and can be tested for firmness, telling whether
more wax is desirable or not. When you are content with the mixture, leave to set up fully and put a
tight lid on to keep it good indefinitely.

YDC (pwd)
Used for hemorrhoids, prolapsed, candida, low iron, low back pain. Kills candida and heals weak tissue in
the lower pelvic region. Tea is used as douch and as tea to drink. Powder is stirred into water and used
as an anal implant or stirred into juice and given to children with thrush top or bottom. For low back
pain, may be taken in capsules or drunk as tea.

YDC (pwd 4 oz)
This product cannot any longer be purchased made according to the original recipe. For the majority of
its usefulness to us, the original recipe is the only thing that works. The other formulas do not work for
fungal infections well at all. The recipe is as follows:
6 parts oak bar
3 parts mullein herb
4 parts yellow dock root
3 parts walnut bark or leaves
6 parts comfrey root
1 part lobelia
3 parts marshmallow root

This is always made as powder for our purposes. It is important to purchase these herbs already
powdered as powdering roots is tough business once they are dried.

:) 

• Upvote 2

Thank you for sharing your recipes Wyrd. Particularly the plantain ointment. I have been planing out a new ointment for insect bites and stings I want to have ready by next summer. Buckhorn and basil are the main contributors. Taking the methods you used with the plantain into account may be a great help.

By the way I've been running in to the dried vs. fresh issue with plantain used for drawing as well. For storage I have found freezing it spread out on a plate keeps the better part of the potency.

Edited by PapaGheny

I have quite a few piercings. Admittedly, I have neglected a few (not cleaned them as much as I should have) or played with them too much (I'm skin/scab picker..it's an anxiety disorder I've had all my life and I end up doing it without realizing it). When my piercings get angry or inflamed with a possible mild infection, I've found that following a saline soak/rinse, putting a dab of lavender/tea tree oil (diluted in a carrier oil) directly on the piercing really helps. Both oils are known for their antibacterial properties, promoting healing, and soothing/pain relief. It works quite well! I'd imagine it would also help with mild infections in cuts & scrapes.

Edited by Kallisto

Thank you for sharing your recipes Wyrd. Particularly the plantain ointment. I have been planing out a new ointment for insect bites and stings I want to have ready by next summer. Buckhorn and basil are the main contributors. Taking the methods you used with the plantain into account may be a great help.

By the way I've been running in to the dried vs. fresh issue with plantain used for drawing as well. For storage I have found freezing it spread out on a plate keeps the better part of the potency.

Hi PapaGheny,

I wish that they were mine, alas they are part of my collection from various trusted herbalists.

:)

Edited by Wyrd

Wyrd, Thank you all the same for unearthing it bring it to light. It dose look like it may be quite helpful.

Caps mentioned alcohol. I've been suggesting a foot soak for damaged feet. Mostly for cracked feet, but I seldom find damaged feet with out slight infection or some athlete's foot. The soak was mostly white onion, plantain, and green tea. Over the past two years or so I started adding strong(19.69% ABV) dry wine made from pumpkin and a little apple. The alcohol level should be too diluted for any real antiseptic use. It did add a marked improvement to the effect. It may be aiding in absorption(my thoughts when adding it), or possible a factor of the fermented pumpkin I'm not seeing yet. Other wine also seems to improve the soak, but less effectively. Even with higher ABV.

I was wondering if any one else was using anything along these lines or had any thoughts.

I was also halfway thinking of running some off to vinegar to see how it dose in place of apple cider vinegar for some uses, if anyone has thoughts or suggestions there.

P.G. - I've urged family members to soak their athletes' foot afflicted feet in hydrogen peroxide nightly to great effect. It works as long as they're diligent and eradicate the fungus before stopping the treatment. Once the skin is new and no longer peeling I have them put extra virgin coconut oil on their (clean) feet at night (again, it's a great anti-fungal).

That said, I don't have anything to contribute for an actual foot wound/infection, but maybe this will spark some ideas for you?

Pumpkin contains enzymes and nutrients that are really wonderful for skin.  I have no idea about fermented pumpkin, however.  Alcohol and other solvents do greatly enhance skin permeability, though.

Island Bruja – I remember years back folk using hydrogen peroxide for foot fungus. It was affective if kept up, just as you said. That's a good one to keep in mind.

Aurelian – I think that's where I'm at. It definitely appears more than just the alcohol. Looks like time to hit the book and setup some experiments, to try to work it out.

My youngest is tube-fed (she was a micro-preemie, almost 5 years old now and still not eating) and she has what is known as a Mic-key, which is essentially a functional body piercing that allows a feeding tube extension to be clicked in so her special prescription formula/medications can go straight into her stomach.  Recently she was ill, seeming to have conjunctivitis.  Well, that infection quickly spread to her Mic-key site.  It was very sensitive and oozy, and she struggle to keep me from touching it which made it hard to feed her.  Her father made an appointment with her pediatric GI, but until she could get to the doctor, I used lavender oil.  (I told her it was "Princess Flower Oil".) It helped keep the infection from getting worse, as well as calming her enough that I could feed her.

I've used both heal-all and plantain in salves and poultices.  If you are wildcrafting, just check the leaves and blossoms to be sure you have a positive identification.  Purple dead nettle (Lamium purpureum) is easily mistaken for heal-all (Prunella vulgaris).  It's not harmful, in fact has its own, similar, beneficial properties.  (It's great for stopping bleeding.) It's just not heal-all.  If the leaves are kind of heart-shaped with a velvet-purple tinge towards the stem, you have dead nettle (called "dead" nettle because its leaves resemble a nettle's and it doesn't sting.)  The flowers are a little different, too, heal-all flowering in more of a spike but these plants are still mistaken for each other all the time.  (I've done it!) 

Another wild healer that is often mistaken for the other two is ground ivy, or cat's paw (Glechoma hederacea) which is good for cuts but even better for bruises.  It has similar tiny purple flowers, but creeps along the ground or up fenceposts and so on (not a true ivy!) and has characteristic round, scalloped leaves reminiscent of a cat's paw.  Any or all of these three purple-flowered healers can be made into a wonderful, effective salve, plaster or poultice with either or both of the plantains (Plantago major or P. lanceolata) for the treatment of wounds.

Sign in to follow this