Do you think video game / movie style magic could be real and not just fiction?

An example would be throwing fireballs out your hand or freezing entire areas of land including the people within that area in an instant.

I know it sounds like a silly question but a friend of mine theories that every time you die you are reborn in another dimension or on another planet and perhaps all the fairytale stuff we come up with like elves, dragons, and yes even video game type magic. Actually does exist on one of those worlds we lived on in a past life. Which is why those folk tales and myths are so wide spread. Because the memories of that place is still berried away somewhere within our global conciseness.

Edited by ExaltedSerpent

I think that dimensions in which we dwell have laws.  Some can be bent and some can be broken.  For example it is common for spirits in our realm to be obliged to obey commands of the living and other similar unseen constructs...it is some law they must follow that we may never truly understand, just like laws that bind us from being able to shoot physically shoot fireballs.  However, with weapons like Staff of Holy Bolt, there could be some potential for real magic but you'd have to bring science into it...most scientists won't touch paranormal research with a ten foot pole until they have military funding ;)

Unlocking the potentials of the human mind and spirit are an interesting topic, but I'd like to point out that you're talking about weaponizing it "like in video games" ...the real question is how it would surface that we would need to do these things.  Telekinesis, pyrokinesis, etc. are still being studied by institutions such as IONS but lack support because of the lack of seriousness involved...equating it to Harry Potter type magic does more harm than good.  If I only have what games and Hollywood throw at me as a reference as witchcraft I may as well pack up and go home.

The overuse of fantasy on the topic of magic works as a wonderful smokescreen for the way it really works, how many people actually take the time to study and research it, and learn to practice it?  Few because they have society and religion telling them why it's a "silly fantasy"

• Upvote 1

The world is a much, MUCH safer place due to the simple fact that I can't shoot fireballs out of my hands.

I've had witch friends incorporate very specific video game visuals into their Travels when they pop by for a visit- but it's just an illusion, not anything tangible that can cause any changes to my physical surroundings.

To answer the question: no, I don't think that a witch has the capacity to instantly freeze an entire area of land or perform other magical acts that produce such sensational, immediate results.

• Upvote 2

Conjecture:

If video game style magic were possible, I doubt humanity would still exist.  I feel that a person (or people) possessing such powers would be scooped up by the megalomaniacs running this world, and that those talents would be weaponized or otherwise used to control the masses.  Alternately, if an individual with formidable powers is an imperious little shit bent on world domination, I feel that they would have to demonstrate their metaphysical capabilities regularly enough to incite the fear/respect necessary to maintain their position of control.  I don't perceive any evidence of that happening in this realm, although purported technological advances would make an awfully tidy smokescreen for uber-magic, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

In a nutshell, no.  A witch can throw energy balls and send out energy to effect a large area and even things/people in that area, but it's not like what you see in the movies (is anything like what you see in the movies?)  It's far more subtle than that.  The only reason you see fireballs on movies and TV shows is because it would be really boring watching someone throw air at someone.  The image is simply to make a visual representation of the energy, which isn't necessarily seen.  At least, not in a physical way.

A day before yesterday something strange happened while I was evoking the spirits of Darkness and Chaos. The light in my room went out. I'm used to these things, I didn't even pay attention. But, than I noticed that nobody has the lights on in my street. It turned out that my village and 3 other nearby villages and towns were in complete darkness because there was something wrong with the electricity. Around 3 a.m. the lights went back on. Is it a coincidence? Could be, but something tells me it wasn't a coincidence. It was kind of "Hollywood magick" if you will. This is the only time something like that happened. I'm used to strange sounds, lights going out, objects moving (not a lot, but sometimes during a ritual). but, this was the first time on a larger scale. Although I can never prove it was because of my evocation, of course.

Edited by Nera

@Nera....I believe it.  3 towns in darkness, is the same principal as a single lightbulb malfunction.  Big things happen.

Of course you can never prove it but that something that's telling you it wasn't a coincidence is probably not kidding. 

• 2 weeks later...

On this plane of existence, no. There are many realms, however, where practically anything is possible. The astral, for one. So if you're very intent on throwing fireballs and freezing the land with your breath, I suggest astral traveling. Just know it may open up doors you didn't know would open.

• Upvote 1

Caps said: "I think that dimensions in which we dwell have laws. Some can be bent and some can be broken. For example it is common for spirits in our realm to be obliged to obey commands of the living and other similar unseen constructs...it is some law they must follow that we may never truly understand, just like laws that bind us from being able to shoot physically shoot fireballs. "

------

So, a wander off topic if I may: speaking of laws and rules spirits have to obey...

The lore about spirits being forced to count things before they pass. I hope y'all know what I mean because I'm not sure I can explain it right, but here it goes :

I've heard this applied to straws on a broom, a pile of just about anything from pins to grains of salt. The idea is something along the lines that these items can be used as a ward to slow down spirits from entering your domain because they have to count each individual item before they can pass.

I would like to know what everyone thinks as far as this being real/correct.

The lore about spirits being forced to count things before they pass. I hope y'all know what I mean because I'm not sure I can explain it right, but here it goes :

I've heard this applied to straws on a broom, a pile of just about anything from pins to grains of salt. The idea is something along the lines that these items can be used as a ward to slow down spirits from entering your domain because they have to count each individual item before they can pass.

I would like to know what everyone thinks as far as this being real/correct.

---

It's my experience that a spirit's objective- or lack thereof- is what determines the feasibility of distracting it.  A land wight casually wandering onto a property is going to be more curious about baubles than an entity "sent" to a home by someone with malicious intentions.