32 replies to this topic

#21 Perchtin

Perchtin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

Tarot is also used for self exploration.  Some people have that 'vibe' with their cards.  It happens.  Sometimes, the cards have something to say that has nothing to do with the questions being asked of them.

------------------

^This, this, a hundred times this! 
It happened many times, I asked questions and drew cards that represented exactly what I was fearing at the moment. 

I found out that runes give me far more accurate answers - and no nightmares afterwards,which is a plus.

Perhaps I don't  "get along" well with this particular tarot deck, who knows.

Hexen stehen immer zwischen Birken.

#22 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:01 PM

Everyone's answers have really brought out some questions in me about the true nature of the Tarot. Is it primarily a tool for communicating with your helpful spirits and ancestors with insights? Is it an open door for any spirit or entity to influence? A connection with a higher power of fate, or maybe an entity all itself? Or Is it a tool for connecting with your own intuition and psychic energies? Or as many suggest, a connection to a collective human consciousness through the power of archetypes? Something else or all of the above?

I guess that's all part of the beautiful mystery of it.

#23 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

Yes

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#24 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:50 PM

First, Rosered said it all. If anyone can say anything more accurately or with more power than that one word, my hat's off to them.

I will however, try to follow that with some things to think about. I don't know if this will apply to you or anyone else reading this. But, they are things I have found handy to think about from time to time.

Right off I don't think anyone can answer those questions for you, but you. That should not be unsatisfying. It should be in powering.

You are not walking into someones house and placing the responsibility of your actions in their hands. This is your craft. You are the Witch here. Your Witchcraft is your dominion. It must be under your control. You must take responsibility for it, even when it didn't go the way you intended.

I was taught “You control the cards. They don't control you.” And, you sure don't let anything else take that from you. When you contact a spirit for a reading you are inviting “them” into the safety and comfort of your power. When you are looking into yourself you are taking control of yourself. Your not throwing random cards on a table and deciding to go with the results. If you ask a spirit a question and it answers you with your cards, it should be because you let it.

I'm going to stop before I get to rambling too far, but these are things I was told about divining. Years of contemplating them has help in honing my craft a bit. I just thought bits might help some of you.

#25 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

Usually when I do a reading, it's either a part of my regular ancestral veneration practice or in some sort of ritual format. I get myself comfortable and centered. I don't cast a circle or anything but I will light the candles and incense and call upon my familiar spirits and entities that I know well. It's a respectful, sacred time and space and I feel in control. But there have been times where I have been lax about that.....this was one of those moments...I grabbed the deck in anxious desperation and expected my helpers to just show up.

I certainly wasn't in control of the reading at that moment. I can see how I could have been leaving myself open for all sorts of bad problems with that...

#26 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

Yeah, I can say I've been there in my craft more times than I would like to say out loud. It happens. I tend to want to smack my self up side the head, then it happens. But, it happens. I find the trick for me not crashing on the roadside when I'm out of control, is to put it somewhere else. I head for the wood or the workshop. Maybe I write in my book on anything, or go hang out with a dog. Then when I come back I make sure I'm in complete control.

I find the hard parts are to not be gun shy and not to let the pattern run. Yeah, not something I'd like to make a habit of but its something that can make you richer. If you can use it that way.

#27 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:55 AM

I don't rely on any divination for concrete 'this world' answers.  Whether you believe ancestors, spirits or psychic energy is working through the cards, that essence has a much wider view of what is really going on behind situations then we do.   I use divination as a way to gather more information, offer enlightenment and a head's up on what might lay ahead.

I am reminded of Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, where the superior race asked the question of the big computer 'what is the meaning to life, the universe and everything?' and the big computer took a very long time to come up with the answer 42.  It took into account every possible permutation of that question.  So maybe, the answer was based on aspects to the question you hadn't considered, or questions which spun off of questions related to the original question.  

Perhaps you were being given the answer you feared most as a way to get your attention and snap you out of some funk you'd been in without realising?  Or you were becoming too dependent?  You said you usually do it as part of ancestor veneration.  Perhaps you ancestors wanted you to give them a break for a bit or they wanted to just spend time with you for its own sake without feeling they have to deliver the goods every time?

What was the phase of the moon when you did the reading?  I've heard new or dark moon energy can really throw energies into chaos.

To answer your question, when the cards aren't speaking to me I take it as my cue to put them away and get on with other things.  The break can go from a couple of days to months, just depends when I feel the energy pull me back.  It does always come back though.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#28 ErinnAinsley

ErinnAinsley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

Not that I will add anything enlightening to this convo after everything everyone said... But was chuckling to myself about my own experiences it brought up.
I find when I'm getting all stuck inside my own head, emotional about something, and start asking anxious or rapid fire, petty questions for a quick fix of satisfaction, I get absolute shit rubbish from the cards for answers lol..it's like the cards are straight up mocking me. But then once I chill out or clear my head for a bit... I realized I was mocking me... I knew it wasn't healthy and wasn't time to use the deck in most cases, just was in denial, realized it later, or was too agitated to care/listen. I don't often waste my time like this anymore but it used to be pretty bad, resulting in more agitation.
The deck typically mirrors me often. If I'm extremely afraid of a particular possible answer that will almost invariably be the one that comes up until I calm me-self and get my head into a neutral but energized space, withoug expectations.
Nothing wildly new/interesting I guess but yah.. The cards, they mock me.. Lol
I get my absolutely best readings done when I am very strongly hoping to help someone and have a good sense of their energy. Sometimes there are situations that I want to help but can't summon that connective energy. I don't really know why yet.

#29 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

My cards recently went backwards!

Every morning I do a quick reading for the day ahead.  Then it became 'confusing'.  Then I realised that I was getting a very accurate reading on exactly what had happened the day before.  What that meant, I have no idea.  Probably something along the lines of "examine the past to gain insight into the future".  So I did.  I also gave them a slap and didn't use them for a couple of days.  Everything back to normal.  Strange. 

Be nice or go away!

#30 ErinnAinsley

ErinnAinsley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

Hahaha... Gave them a slap! BAD CARDS! YOU GO IN THIS DRAWER AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

I'm too easily entertained. Stepping back into the shadows now.

#31 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

The deck typically mirrors me often. If I'm extremely afraid of a particular possible answer that will almost invariably be the one that comes up until I calm me-self and get my head into a neutral but energized space, withoug expectations.

Same.  I find even if asking for me, the best way to approach the cards is with interest, but emotionally distant.  As though I'm curious to see what they have to say, but not really that much.  I think too much emotional interest by me can throw the energies out.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#32 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

My deck is just really...sassy. And seems to be back to normal.

I did a reading at the last full moon for a friend and the message was quite clear to me. But my friend was reluctant to listen to the message being given and has avoided action.

So this full moon, they asked me to do another reading for them. Boom...exact same cards, same reversals, same order. Identical reading. I've done multiple readings for folks and multiple good shuffles since their last spread, so this was hopefully the eye-opener that my friend needs to break out of their current cycle.

#33 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

I've done a similar reading with the same two spreads each time for a friend of mine. The overall message was change is coming and resistance won't help; the less resistance you put up the better off you'll be afterwards. She was not happy with either reading. When I repeated the reading, I got the same cards and reversals except for a few, which had become more urgent in getting her to accept the change. Some people just don't like what the cards have to say.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tarot, cards, divination, errors