• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

So what do you do when your tarot goes wrong, wrong, wrong? Not like, "oops I interpreted this badly wrong" or "the answers are sorta hazy" wrong but "the exact opposite of what the cards said is true" wrong.

I've been using tarot cards for a while with a great deal of success. I usually go with the traditional interpretations plus a little of my own instincts but everyonce in a while I branch out when working with specific spirits and guides and use very specific code with the cards. If I need "yes or no" answers, I have a key for that, if I need a name spelled out, I've got an alphabetical key. And a key specifically for divining what sort of magical workings to do. These methods have always been pretty accurate as well, at least on par with the traditional tarot meanings as long as I am specific with my guides and my intent.

But yesterday, it was very, very wrong. I asked a series of three yes or no questions and got a very disturbing answer. It sent me into a bit of tailspin of anxiety. So badly that I asked the same three question later that day for confirmation and received the exact answers as before. This really sent me into a panic which lasted throughout the day. The tarot answers, along with the circumstances of the day, and an omen filled dream that I had were the perfect storm for my anxious mind.

This morning I found out that the answers the Tarot gave me were wrong and there was no need for anxiety at all. The exact opposite of the answers it gave me were true. So now I'm kinda flummoxed...tarot never failed me this hard before...and it did it twice in a row with the same answers (which would be a rare probability using the yes/no method I employed). So what's the deal?

Do I have a nasty spirit manipulating me thru the cards? I have had incidents of spirits feeding off of my panic before so I gave myself a good smudging this morning and will take other measures as well. Should I avoid the cards for a while or is there something I need to do to clear up the communication with my helpful spirits? Anyone ever had something like that happen before?

Should I maybe not ask y/n questions that leave me vulnerable to manipulation? To be honest, this has sorta shattered my trust in tarot a bit, but I've had such good success with it in prior to this...

#2 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

I think you may have had something interfering with the results. I would be cautious about figuring out what it is, but see if you can get rid of it as soon as you can, especially if you think it might be feeding off you. I would set up protection for your cards and readings at least for the next while, just to make sure it doesn't come back and neither do any of its friends.

#3 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:29 AM

I agree that a cleansing and protection would be a great step. I know all too well that anxiety can lure in a lot of nasty things.

#4 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:16 AM

Just keep from misrepresenting myself I should say I don't use tarot. The things I use work in much the same way, but not the traditional decks and such.

That out of the way, I could get the impression from your words that you may have invested a lot of worry in the matter around the question. Its not my business for you to say, and if I'm wrong please excuse my assumption. But, if that's the case folk can get to feeling like your too shaky or wrapped up in what your ask'n. They can get spiteful or start testing what may be a weak spot. If that is the case I'd take a breath, set my nerve, and have a long hard talk with my deck and/or tools. Remind them just who their dealing with.

And, if you think you need it “Say if the deck talks back twice as hard" you can always clear things back from around your deck.

Edited by PapaGheny, 01 April 2016 - 05:20 AM.

#5 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:20 AM

It was very much a weak spot, yes. I think you may very well be on to something.

#6 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

Does your method allow for a "no answer" or even better "I ain't going to answer that question". The tarot isn't some all seeing, all knowing device. There are questions it can't answer and things it has no business knowing. If you don't give it the chance to express this and your going to draw cards anyway your going to see answers it wasn't giving. Kinda like cutting it's hand off ;-)

Ask the deck if it CAN answer a question before asking it. Ask the deck if it WILL answer a question. If it says no you can ask it why but if it says no do not do the reading. If it's a question you really need help with move on to other methods.

#7 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

Sometimes it's my own head that is messing with the cards. If that starts happening, I put them down and cleanse them for a while

Edited by Ravenshaw, 01 April 2016 - 01:28 PM.

RSKHFMY

#8 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

Ravenshaw, that is something I have also considered. Whether my own anxious energies were controlling the cards or whether that energy was attracting the wrong kind of spirit hell, one way or any other, I messed up the reading with my own "stuff". Perhaps next time I have something I am so overly emotional about that I want to consult the cards about, I'll have a neutral party do a reading for me.

Grey leaf, my method does leave room for maybe's and "I can't say" but this particular reading was giving me definitely yeses and nos, andgabr me the same answers from the same suits when I redrew later in the day. I didn't ask the cards if they were willing or able to answer my questions, but I get the feeling that it would have said yes. Perhaps a better question would have been "Are my usual helpful spirits willing to answer?"

#9 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

Ravenshaw's response would normally be my first thought as well.

But there's this:

[...] I asked the same three question later that day for confirmation and received the exact answers as before. 

Here are my theories:

- Your energies were indeed messing with the results.

- Something is telling you to put the cards away and either listen to yourself, take a complete break from divination for a while, or thoroughly experiment with other forms of divination.  Personal anecdote: tarot had always been a consistently dependable source of information for me...until I began formally practicing witchcraft.  I was convinced that the garbled gibberish and ominous themes that randomly popped up between "normal" readings were my own wonky energies, or metaphysical influences from the immediate vicinity "jamming the signal".  Looking back, it was a lesson.  A lesson that forced me out of my comfort zone and away from dependency on tangible tools.

- No judgement with this idea: I have a love for logistics, coordination, and systems that is probably borderline unhealthy.  I'm wondering if your guides are telling you to loosen up a bit with your codes and keys in order to strengthen your intuition and open yourself to processing things "outside the box"?

- My last theory is quite the ego booster! ;)  I feel that it's generally accepted that tarot results are a snapshot of the situation you're querying about in that exact moment in time.  If you practice witchcraft and have a very strong emotional response to a reading (or, in your case: two sessions with the same results), it could be that your anxiety prompted you to inadvertently/subconsciously perform some good old-fashioned magic that took care of the problem in your favor.

#10 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

Wise words. And that last bit about changing the outcome is quite an interesting possibility, as well.

I usually think of divination in terms of both what is true now and what will happen if things continue on their current path. But those outcomes are never set in stone. It's definitely *possible* that I could have influenced the way things went down.

Last night I was reading in my journal a reflection that I had made about how I tend to ignore the inherent energy in intense emotion or pain or struggle. By acting like a victim of those things, I cut myself off to the possibility of turning that energy to my will.

#11 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:51 PM

Last night I was reading in my journal a reflection that I had made about how I tend to ignore the inherent energy in intense emotion or pain or struggle. By acting like a victim of those things, I cut myself off to the possibility of turning that energy to my will.

Yup: been there, thought that.  I used to feel that using strong emotion or physical pain as an energy source would somehow "taint" my Workings with volatility and incosistency.  And perhaps it does that have capacity.  But- to use an analogy- I have since found that all wood has the potential to burn, regardless of what kind of tree it comes from, or if the wood is in pristine condition or half-rotten.

Edited by ImamSua, 01 April 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#12 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

Take a break from the cards.  Get back to your own intuition.

Don't rely on 'outside' influences to give you an answer to your everyday questions.  Trust your gut more.  Develop your own abilities, and USE the Tarot, rather than it dictating to you!

Be nice or go away!

#13 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:58 PM

I agree.

sometimes, the cards can get tired of being turned to too often.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#14 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

Although I know it has been mentioned before, I will put my two cents in about being too close to the situation.

My favorite story is when I convinced myself that my boyfriend's other girlfriend (yeah... long story...) had laid a hex on me and was some sort of powerful evil magician. I laid out so many tarot cards and each one simply confirmed the story.

Of course this was all nonsense. I was reading my worst fears in to the cards. 

But it wasn't simply a case of misinterpretation - the actual cards I drew did confirm the story. It was my power, or energy, or whatever you want to call it, that got the cards to draw how they did.

Since then I always try to be careful about letting my worldly concerns influence the cards. I think it is definitely quite easy to do.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#15 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

When you look at this next you may want to take breath and count your self lucky. I'm seeing a lot of good advice up there. I think its safe to say it can't all be deadblow right, but I should hope at least some of it gives confidence to your intuition.

I would point out Aefre and Rosered's advice about taking a break is not bad. Maybe a few days to come in fresh. Or, even take some time to learn something new. A new divination or a new direction to come back with.

On thinking you may be manipulating the out come of the cards, I can say there are methods out there of answering the deck. Even if its not your deck. I've seen some long and tedious methods, but I prefer spirit and energy work for that its cleaner and faster. If you think you went there because of run away emotions, maybe put some time there calmly. I suggest you learn with an old deck. Or, get close with some playing cards to practice. You don't want to insulting your hand deck. Also, any spirit can tell you its dangerous putting your self in the dominion of others. With others decks “Protection is an understatement!” even trying it with a friend. And, like anything there are also other traps and pit falls.

I would not presume to suggest craft to you, I just thought I'd throw it out there. A lot of nostalgia there.

#16 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:29 AM

What everybody else said...There was a lot of good suggestions.

I don't read cards, but I do other things.

I have had that happen before, where I am asking for an answer and I get a very specific reply, with circles drawn and arrows pointing exactly to the place I was being told to look.

This example was from a time that a psychic friend was pressuring me for answers and testing me.  So I got the very wrong answer because my gifts are not to be used in such a way, in that case, abused.  I always know what I need to know but I do not demand to be served. Sometimes the spirits are telling you they don't want to play that game and this is something for you to work out for yourself. 

I know you have a way of 'maybe'..or 'not at this time'...but there is also a 'figure it out on your own'...and that's maybe what you were getting. It is possible that you are depending too much on the cards and not enough on your own resources. Sometimes we have to stand on our own 2 feet and go it on our own.

Sometimes my guides will lead me straight into trouble, and then abandon me. I have to deal with the problem on my own.  They are still there helping in the background but I don't feel them, I feel alone. Some things, like the situation you described, require that we do the work.

To me, your message sounded like abandonment..."You're on your own with this one Baby"...... 

Edited by Belle, 03 April 2016 - 02:40 AM.

#17 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:19 AM

Belle that sounds eerily accurate.

I've been feeling all day like I was abandoned by my spirits when I really needed them. But as the day has worn on, I think that again, this too has an intrinsic lesson in it. Mostly that the issue I was so worked up about has far too much power over me. If I had asked the tarot and gotten a simple "maybe" or "yes" then I wouldn't have experienced the terror and panic that set in after the answers. And I would never have seen just how much this issue is controlling me behind the guise of something harmless.

I've got a lot to think about. This isn't the first time that my spirit-instructors have used painful or terrifying experiences to teach me hard lessons or to toughen me up. It usually comes right before a major step forward on my path.

#18 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

That's how they are. We have to learn our lessons and the 'tough love' method is very effective. 

Plus our emotions are powerful tools, sometimes for self transformation, or sometimes for magic. 

It's not bad, it's just how things are sometimes. My guidance says "Life is not a bowl of cherries"...That's the kind of advice I get. 

#19 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:40 AM

"Of course this was all nonsense. I was reading my worst fears in to the cards." amazingly important to note this! I think those prone to anxiety have all done this before. It's great to recognize it and approach the layout with a fresh perspective.

#20 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

Tarot is also used for self exploration.  Some people have that 'vibe' with their cards.  It happens.  Sometimes, the cards have something to say that has nothing to do with the questions being asked of them.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tarot, cards, divination, errors