• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

That's a good note about the rose vinegar RoseRed. We'll have lots of kid running between playing in the water and helping in the garden soon. Dose it still have a good sting to it, or are the little ones pretty okay with it?

Kalinia I'm sorry to hear that. That would make for a rough night for you and your daughter. However, thank you for sharing the account. Hearing about what was learned from first hand experience is of great value.

#22 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

It's quite soothing actually. I've never it on broken skin so I dont know about that.

My roses are about to burst into bloom!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#23 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

Thank you, that may just come in handy this summer.

Glad to hear your roses are coming around too. We had a week or two of spring weather then a week of snow. These mild winters just seem to want to hang around.

#24 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:28 PM

I'm a little too far south for snow but it's been down to freezing all week.  I think they would've bloomed had the weather stayed warmer at night.  It's ok though, there's nothing like dragging out the excitement and watching my gardens come back to life and bloom. <3

I'll be putting my rose vinegar up as soon as I have enough blooms to mix with the leaves.  And it doesn't take much.  The last pint lasted me 2 summers.

#25 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

Has anyone here ever used cold black tea on diaper rash? With a lower ph it should work a lot like vinegar but with less sting. When it hit me and I tested the ph and put some in a cut to remember what it felt like. Both looked pretty good for it. When I looked it up. I found it has been used and some say it works well on this. But, I couldn't find any trusted opinions on it for this specific type of rash. Any thought or insight?

I also thought of coffee or green tea, but both had a ph closer to 6. Good for their own properties, but too high to balance ph.

Note; this was looking at urine rash from high ph, rather than low ph rash from high acid.

I'm with you there RoseRed. I try to enjoy the weather as it comes. This spring that's meant spurts of work getting ready for planting then rest. There is a lot riding on this year around here after a few bad harvests in a row. I'm going to be trying to do more flowers this year to boot. There was always so many doing them I only ever kept a few, but every one seems to be looking at food only this year. Maybe you should start a topic for the growing season this year. I would surely take part.

Also, thank you again on the thoughts and information on your rose vinegar. I will definitely put some of my roses to work on that when they come back in.

#26 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

It's quite soothing actually. I've never it on broken skin so I dont know about that.

My roses are about to burst into bloom!

-------------------------------

Lucky you! I will have to wait another couple of months for mine. What roses do you grow? Would you post a picture when they're out? Perhaps we could have a rose pictures thread ;)

I adore roses. Just the scent does something immediate to my brain.

Rose vinegar for sunburn is a nice tip. Although there is not much sunburn around these parts! 

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#27 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:21 AM

A little late, but thought I'd add my two cents:

Yogurt, yogurt, more yogurt.  Especially if its the type of diaper rash that flares after a loose stool or if acid, bacteria, or yeast are suspect.

If the baby is 6months or older and neither mom nor dad are allergic to milk feed plain (so sugar added) yogurt.  Most babies will lap it up as is (yes its bitter to us.)  However, if there is no interest a tiny bit of black strap molasses is a great sweetener for baby's food and healthy.  Even if there is a milk allergy in parents, the baby reacting to yogurt is less likely, but I would wait until the doc says okay to try.  Probably 9 months.

If baby is too young to feed yogurt then the mother should eat as much as she can stand:).  All the goodies will pas through to breast milk.  AGAIN a good yogurt.  High in acidophilus.

Also, last but not least.  Yogurt works TOPICALLY as a diaper rash treatment for many types of diaper rash.  Remember, antibacterial, anti-fungal, good for skin, soothing...  Because sugar feeds bacteria it is absolutely crucial that yogurt used topically be unsweetened plain yogurt- NO SUGAR.

My babies only got it bad when they got a bout of diarrhea.  Then one yucky poop and it was instant horrid blistery rash.  This approach worked well.

For "usual" mild diaper rash I'm a fan of good old Destin.

(This is nearly totally off topic, but in case anyone has reason to care. I don't know exactly which ingredient does this miracle, but Burt's Bees diaper rash ointment heals and is curative for Molluscum rash virus.  I have now used this on 2 kids when no other treatment worked it worked beautifully.  Like anything I'm sure it won't work for everyone- but I sure wish I had found it sooner.)  I have been reluctant to use this on actual diaper rash because it has some menthol property- that seems like it could be painful on some diaper rash situations.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#28 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:39 PM

I had been thinking about yogurt, but haven't heard from anyone using it. I'm glad you spoke up. As far as being a little late, somehow diaper rash is an issue that never seems to go out of style.

#29 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

Not till people quit making babies.  I don't see that happening any time soon lol

#30 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

Camomile tea clears up diaper rash. Fast. Permanently.

Fantastic for skin in general; it's also great for any digestive issues the infant may have... it's also very relaxing... so, what's not to love ? 

The fussiest little bugger will become a much happier, healthier baby.

Boil camomile tea, add sugar for sweetness (optional) let cool, pour into baby bottles, refrigerate.

Reheat the tea before serving should the infant be too young for cool or cold liquids.

Can be drunk cold by older babies and toddlers that don't show digestive distress from cold foods/liquids.

I used to boil a large pot of tea and fill 6-8 bottles at once... Much easier to grab and go.

A sweetening agent even in small amounts will ensure the baby will happily enjoy and gulp down his/her bottle.

I used a pinch of sugar.

One bottle per day.

A late afternoon Camomile tea bottle worked great for my little buggers... relaxed them and prevented any digestive discomfort from dinner and /or overnight diapers. They slept better, too.  Much happier babies. Night and day.

You should see real results within 2-3 days.... even if you're trying to cure the worse case of diaper rash known to humankind.

Once the diaper rash is gone... and I mean GONE... as in it NEVER HAPPENED....you can continue its daily use....this will not harm the baby at all... it's great for all of us....but, if it gets too pricey / too time consuming, give the baby a camomile tea bottle once every few days to maintain and prevent further rashes from developing.

SIDE NOTE: If you're by the ocean, saltwater helps heal what's on the outside. YES -- This will sting the baby's bare bottom and the baby will cry.... but the ocean works wonderfully to get the healing process started and will help support the Camomile tea as it works from the inside out.

After the baby's bottom is completely exposed to seawater, pat dry and refrain from applying any creams or powers for a few hours... skip the diaper for a bit, too.... allow the ocean and sea air to work its magic.

After a day at the beach, this would be a smart time to begin the daily Camomile tea bottle 'treatment'.

Talk about EASY and effective. You will be amazed.

Edited by Nikki, 30 June 2016 - 06:51 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#31 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:08 AM

I was sure pleasantly surprised at how quickly chamomile helped topically. However I'm not sure I've encountered an occasion I've considered giving it to a bottle age little one by mouth. I think it will be interesting to research further.

#32 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

I was sure pleasantly surprised at how quickly chamomile helped topically. However I'm not sure I've encountered an occasion I've considered giving it to a bottle age little one by mouth. I think it will be interesting to research further.

Yes, by all means  !!! Due-Diligence, please. 

I'm glad the topical use of Chamomile is helping.

Side NOTE:

The babies I have given Chamomile tea to were all 5-6 months or older.

I was introduced to this herbal remedy by a Pediatrician (and good-samatrian) while I was a young Nanny overseas trying to desperately comfort a baby girl who had the worst rash I'd ever seen. All conventional rash treatments had failed her mother miserably. 

Before taking the Pediatrician's advice, I checked with several the local Pharmacists (more like Doctors over there than here in the States) who all agreed that drinking Chamomile tea posed no danger to the baby...and would actually be good for her. I purchased high quality Chamomile and tried the recipe. 

I recall being very reluctant to add some sugar, however, the baby drank the entire 'sweet'  bottle - instead of rejecting most of the non-sweetened version.

The results were fantastic and the baby's overall health and demeanor improved dramatically.

She finally slept through the night, stopped spitting-up her dinner and being fussy, and..... the rash disappeared. 

Using this recipe has proved helpful over the many years since - with many different babies. I've given this 'tip' to  many a new-mother who all report back that Chamomile tea is a 'miracle' -- they bemoan the fact that this natural remedy isn't common knowledge.

Just like Clove Oil for teething...

Another well-kept secret that only serves to fatten Big Pharma who peddle sub-standard, chemically based, over-priced products when the natural cures are actually healthier and more effective (and sometimes less expensive).

In the meanwhile, the baby suffers needlessly, for longer than necessary; often until the condition is 'outgrown' instead of being treated effectively at onset. Rant over. 

I hope you find what works best for your child... and I wish you and your baby well. 

Edited by Nikki, 06 July 2016 - 03:00 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#33 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

Thank you for the thought and the accounts of your experience here Nikki.

I do know of some stories that go to this. On my mothers side both grand parents and their parents were born in logging camps. When a baby was born in a camp they would often plant a patch of chamomile. It grows like wild fire here. Through the first year they dried it. Then when they couldn't get whiskey do to spotty supply shipments, chamomile tea was used for weening.

That said I double check everything as whiskey was considered the safer go to there.

By the way if anyone else starts looking this up, it looks like chamomile was most commonly used in pediatrics in the UK. So, that's where in finding the most research was published.

#34 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:15 AM

I used balm of gilead (cottonwood bud salve) for diaper rash when my kids were little. I also used calendula salve. I'm a big fan of simples (one plant). Calendula is also great!

In retrospect, the balm of gilead may not have been the best idea, because sometimes if you have rash it will produce a very "cold" sensation. But it's a wonder for things like muscle and nerve pain, so ymmv. It was what I had at the time, so I used it, and their diaper rash always cleared up nicely! It's also worked for contact dermatitis with us.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#35 Elspeth

Elspeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:50 AM

When my daughter was about 10 months old, she developed this really strange looking, very painful diaper rash. The doctor recommended a couple over-the-counter type things to us, which we tried over 2 or so weeks, but nothing was showing any signs of helping and we were becoming really impatient, really fast. During soiling my daughter would cry pretty desperately and during diaper changes she would scream and literally writhe in pain, no matter how gentle we were. It was the worst diaper rash she'd ever experienced. I gave up on our pediatrician and went to buy some herbs. I made a highly concentrated decoction of calendula and yarrow (with some words said over it) and set it aside to cool. During each changing, I would remove her messed diaper, wipe her off and allow her to air dry, blowing on her to help speed things along. Once she was dry to the touch, I took some dry wipes, draped them over her sore spots, and then droppered the refrigerated decoction onto the dry wipes, let them become saturated and sort of suction to her skin. This caused her no pain or discomfort and I allowed the wipes to sit there for a bit so her skin could take in the medicine. After some time had passed, I removed the wipes, VERY gently patted her dry and put a clean diaper on. I did this multiple times a day (as often as she needed a change). The rash was totally cleared up within a manner of days. It was a bit of a process with the countless applications, but it was more effective than anything else we'd tried and WELL worth it.  

#36 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:41 AM

Elspeth - That sound dose like a rough one I'm glad you got it figured out.

Westofthemoon – Thank you for mentioned the cottonwood I've been meaning to do more research there. And, I hear you that it what you had at the time. I'm always looking for alternatives for my go tos, just in case.

Edited by PapaGheny, 24 July 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#37 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

Off topic a bit, but it also helps with carpal tunnel.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#38 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

Thank you. That was definitely worth mentioning Westofthemoon.

Edited by PapaGheny, 24 July 2016 - 06:40 PM.