• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

I did not find much on this topc searching the site so I though it would be a good place to start.

First things first. I do my best not to suggest things for the little folk. Doctors often throw around that, "in healing some times you do more harm than good". For them this means feeling bad, getting yelled at, or maybe getting sued. I find these days folk just say “go figure.” and complain a lot. For a known Witch in a rough or secluded area this can mean bodily harm, being shunned, death, or being run out of town. This is at least twice as likely if a child or baby is involved. Besides, 80% of the time they take care of it and I'm happy to let them.

However, some times things come up and I don't want to walk away. This is often because there is no doctor, the issue is simple enough, or the doc already made it worse then they walked away. Myself I like “The doc gave me this cream, but it gave them blisters. I went back and they said to just keep using it.”. In the end it takes a lot of nerve to walk up to a Witch and hand them your kid, and when they do I find their at their wits end.

So, here we go a few things that help me out then after, one that I could use some suggestions on.

I have seen a few common causes for diaper rash sensitive skin, not cleaning well enough while changing, left too long between changing, over growth of bacteria, and over sensitivity or over abundance of acid. I have found "most of the time" it quite easily dealt with when a parent is will to do the work.

Some over the counter products are getting better. I try to listen to parents to see what has worked and failed for them. Depending on whats available in the area I see a trend that when one fails there is another that helps.

First I suggest, fresh air and clean water dabbed dry and to look at the ingredients of their baby wipes. Going diaperless when possible and washing them with clean water a few times a day seem to do the trick for me most of the time. But, I suggest wrapping them loosely in a receiving blanket to aid in clean up and minimize rang, that gos doubly for boys. Then wipes or other products with perfumes, alcohol, or menthol, can cause the rash or stop them from healing it.

At this point most of my encounters are done and all are happy. If it doesn’t do it I have to start work.

I try to find whats going on to cause the rash. If I'm lucky by this point I can look at the docs lab results and what they tried and can get clue there. Then the parent just needs to find the right thing. If not I have to use what I've got. I won't go into that here as it varies so much by what is available and the little one.

After that it comes to the best suggestions I can give:

*Chang the kids diet.

*If breastfeeding look at the mother's diet. Also if the rash is from yeast the mother can be the source. I had one that was a yeast rash, and the mother never mentioned to me or her doc that the babe also had mouth thrush and she had yeast build up, till I asked. So, I suggested she tell her doc then they could handle it.

*I've had good luck with olive oil. Just a dab smeared on the rash twice a day.

*Aloe Vera Sap is great I've had good luck there. I just put it on thin 2 or 3 times a day.

There are a hand full of teas I use but only topically I go as light as I can on kids:

self-heal

dandelion

basil

I've used mint and it worked when it was all that was handy. But I cut it with water because it can irritate.

If something really works I find the rash is gone in 3 days to 2 week, and is better over a day or so.

I don't use essential oils on babes if I can help it, as they are so sensitive.

This got long so I will make the issue I could use some suggestions on a post below. I hope some folk find this helpful and have some good thoughts to add.

Maybe I should also add that I'm no a doctor, and I don't try and do their job for fun or profit. I just give my opinion when I have something to say.

my edit just fixed a typo.

Edited by PapaGheny, 11 April 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#2 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

Okay so, here is where I'm looking for suggestions. I know a 7 week old that has a bad diaper rash. Their doctor has determined that it is from acid in the stool and sensitive skin. Then they gave up after making it worse and with zinc and menthol cream. They suggested the mother try and find a home remedy and left it at that. Now we have blister and open sores to deal with.

The mother has tried many over the counters the best help was mostly aloe.

Fresh air and clean water helped, but not enough. Same with olive oil.

Today we started fresh aloe vera sap. But, I'm trying to be ready if that doesn’t do it. I've got a few directions to go, and already started longer potions and preparations in case needed.

That said, if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I would be glad to hear them. Please bear in mind we are talking about about 10lb/4.5kg and not holding his head up yet.

#3 ButterflyMe

ButterflyMe

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:50 PM

This is going to sound odd... but if the mother is breastfeeding, have her wash the baby's bum with clean water, pat dry and then put breast milk on it.  Breast milk will also clear up eye infections.  

#4 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:49 AM

Great suggestion B. Breast milk does work wonders! 

If she is not breast feeding, another suggestion is raw unpasteurized honey applied to a clean, dried bottom. It is a natural antibiotic. The baby will not be eating it so it will do the child no harm. It sounds messy, but it absorbs into the skin. I have also used honey (mixed with distilled water) to clear eye infections.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#5 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:08 AM

Coconut oil has been amazing for my daughter! 

#6 ButterflyMe

ButterflyMe

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:28 AM

Great suggestion B. Breast milk does work wonders! 

If she is not breast feeding, another suggestion is raw unpasteurized honey applied to a clean, dried bottom. It is a natural antibiotic. The baby will not be eating it so it will do the child no harm. It sounds messy, but it absorbs into the skin. I have also used honey (mixed with distilled water) to clear eye infections.

___

I never thought of honey!  

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:26 AM

I've heard honey  is excellent for wound healing but I haven't tried it personally.  Vitamin E oil out of the capsules and/or aloe are well known as wonderfully healing.  I use Vitamin E on small bedsores as well.  Are you keeping the open sores covered so they don't get infected by fecal matter?

Mountain Rose Herbs has a pretty amazing diaper rash cream (and the list of ingredients for it) on their website.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#8 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

Hey PG, as a mother who's undergone the problem of diaper/nappy rash, the best thing I ever used was Kamillosan.  It is made up of chamomile and lanolin, and absolutely destroys nappy rash.  The effects are almost instant.

I'm a herb freak, but, I also realise that a lot of drug companies are relying on old and tested cures for certain disorders.   

Whatever you do, don't let a baby suffer, because you want to find a 'natural' remedy.  The big guys have already exploited it and done it for you.

Chamomile and lanolin are the way forward.

It's also brilliant for nipple rash (if you're still breastfeeding) :)

Be nice or go away!

#9 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

Oh, I think I'm gonna like it here.

When we started this I was working on formula for a wash to bench test. It incorporated chamomile, dandelion root, fresh aloe, and heavy whipping cream. As well as small doses of some other herbs as slight boosters. I would really like to think that I would have remembered “The Mother's Milk”. My grandmother swore by that, but it seems to have been stuck floating in lost years somewhere.

The thought with the heavy cream as a carrier was to sooth and back off some of the acid (use it up reacting to the milk). Has anyone tried this or do you have any thoughts. I'm two days from the first test tube. I'm afraid this time of year gets dodgy on the herb supply after a bad cold/flue season.

Great thought with the honey. I've used it for years in back country for scrapes and cuts, even for the little knee scrapers in the back yard. Because of the infant botulism scare it always seems to get tossed from the list without thinking about using it topically.

I had never heard about cutting it with distilled water for eye infection. Makes good sense.

I've never worked with coconut oil. It's just not what I would call easy to get here, but I'd like to look into it more.

Covering the sores has been an issue, young mom, not so bright dad. It just lead to trapping it in. So, I went with open air and frequent cleaning. My ulterior motive for diaperless is insensitive for less capable parents to keep things clean. Not that these ones don't try, they're just a bit oblivious.

I will definitely look into Mountain Rose Herbs diaper rash cream and Kamillosan. These days I find I take the country doc approach. That is that I look for the most appropriate thing I can get my hands on, no matter who worked it out.

I should probably share that she had the most luck with Pinxav. Several mothers in the area are liking it lately. It has a lot of what we've talked about aloe, vitamin E, and I just noticed lanolin. It helped but not much. I wander if the clove oil, menthol, and stearic acid, aren't to much for him and counter balancing. Also, if its the zinc oxide he's having trouble with its in most them.

By the way Aefre that good to know about the chamomile and lanolin for nipple rash. I used a chamomile and self-heal wash on a young lady about a year ago. That did the trick, but its always good to have more places to go.

#10 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

Careful with the lanolin. If there's a wool allergy, it'll just make it worse!

If there's no infection present, just the rash, add a little calendula to your mix. It's a wonderful wound healer. It heals so well it'll heal skin over an infection, driving the infection deeper. (I made a calendula salve for both daughter & daughter-in-law to use for diaper rash. They love it.)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#11 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:15 AM

Its definitely good that you mention the allergy as a reaction can be a fast and difficult thing to deal with in a baby. I poses all the same problems as a older child or adult but the reactions can be more severe and limited care can be given. I this case I'm not concerned about the lanolin. This if first because of no wool allergy in the family. Not a sure thing but that lowers the risk. Second, is do to the doctor and mother's try anything approach before they came to me. One cream tried contained lanolin and got the best results.

All said that was a great concern to bring up.

I'm also interested in looking more at calendula I have only used it a few times on road rash, rope burn and the like, but its easy enough to get here.

Just a update on the babe I've been helping out with. Three days of fresh air, clean water, and aloe sap, have cleared up most of the “extra” troubles. The blisters are gone and the sores hardly noticeable. The aloe is also making the boy feel a bit better about things. The rash is still very red but its much smaller.

The mother will be trying breast milk now, and continuing through tomorrow with the aloe and fresh air. That will finish day four and I can see where she may want to go from there.

#12 ButterflyMe

ButterflyMe

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:29 AM

Its definitely good that you mention the allergy as a reaction can be a fast and difficult thing to deal with in a baby. I poses all the same problems as a older child or adult but the reactions can be more severe and limited care can be given. I this case I'm not concerned about the lanolin. This if first because of no wool allergy in the family. Not a sure thing but that lowers the risk. Second, is do to the doctor and mother's try anything approach before they came to me. One cream tried contained lanolin and got the best results.

All said that was a great concern to bring up.

I'm also interested in looking more at calendula I have only used it a few times on road rash, rope burn and the like, but its easy enough to get here.

Just a update on the babe I've been helping out with. Three days of fresh air, clean water, and aloe sap, have cleared up most of the “extra” troubles. The blisters are gone and the sores hardly noticeable. The aloe is also making the boy feel a bit better about things. The rash is still very red but its much smaller.

The mother will be trying breast milk now, and continuing through tomorrow with the aloe and fresh air. That will finish day four and I can see where she may want to go from there.

_____

That's great that the baby is doing better.   :)

#13 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

An oinment with calendula, plantain, lavender essential oil and vitamin E oil works great.

#14 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:10 PM

ButterflyMe thank you for saying. It is appreciated.

Gyreleaf as of a few months ago I was pondering the use plantain for similar rashes. I use it a lot, as it is everywhere here. I find its great to aid in drawing poisons/infections, for chest congestion, and soar tired feet, the list gos on.

However, I have never used it on anything like a rash. Thanks for bringing it up, I will have learn some more about that application.

In this most recent conversation with the mother something has come to mind.

I thought of this when the breast milk had no effect. That is not an issue, I would point out that this is a stubborn rash. Many things that often work have not. If this wasn't the case the doctor would not have given up, they get paid for this after all.

My concern is thinking about suggesting it in later days. Its something I would do tactfully. I am if not know as a Witch then rumored to be a Witch. I am also a man. This suggestion I think would be an easy one for say a midwife or mother to give. From a Witch that is a man you are asking them to rub their body fluids on their new born. This can be seen as rather witchy or odd to some folk. No problem there, if it works. If not things could go awkward or bad. Like I said no issue here I have a history with the family. Just thoughts for later days I thought I would share.

Also, the mother moved to a lanolin based ointment as well as fresh aloe. this seems to be helping a new as the rash had started to return.

#15 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

You could always suggest goat or cow's milk but mother's milk is probably best.

Many, many moons ago my grandmother had an horrific heat rash.  She was a big girl who had lost a lot of weight towards the end.  And it was a hot and humid summer.  We tried everything from the pharmacy, otc, prescriptions, the doctor gave up - he had no idea what else to prescribe.  That was my first foray into natural healing.  What finally ended up working (and it also worked wonders for horrid diaper rash and for milk rash under a huge double baby chin was mixing ground cinnamon with talc  (not cornstarch - the yeast infections eat it and thrive). 

I ended up making my first herbal powder that way and she was rash free until the end of her days.  Her home health aid started using it on her patients that suffered with heat rash/prickly heat as well.

Cinnamon is strong - I always cut it by at least half for sensitive skin. 

#16 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

RoseRed talc sounds like a good dry base to use when yest is a concern. I will need to keep that in mind.

It looks like this one is licked. The mother continued with the lanolin based ointment and the rash was fading then coming back. I made a chamomile, self-heal, and aloe, salve to go with it. Together they did the trick.

So, this time chamomile and lanolin where indeed the way forward. Thank you all very much for your suggestions.

I have had a lot of folk in the past month or so also say:

Vinegar

or

Baking soda dissolved in water

They might work, but I'd think they would sting like mad. Google seems to agree with them as top remedies. I was wandering if anyone had any experience here, or if it is just a cruel internet prank?

Edited by PapaGheny, 09 April 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#17 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:01 PM

That just sounds so wrong.

I'll put salt in my own wounds to stop the bleeding but ...

I don't think the baking soda would burn.

I'm so glad to hear that something so gentle worked so well.  :D

#18 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

Yeah. I mean I get it. The vinegar helps balance ph. We would put it on sun burn a while back for about the same effect, and it worked. But, we didn't want to put it on, and surly wouldn't if there was an aloe plant around. It was not earth shattering but it made you twinge pretty good.

Baking soda in water I've got into cuts. I wouldn't say it was painful but I'd rather not. It also dried out the area around the cut more than I would want. They may also want to warn those new or a little bit nervous parents that it tends to remove dead skin. So, after it gets on there, you likely have a fussy babe with skin rubbing off. Nothing really wrong, but I'd think worth mentioning.

Like with the sun burn I'm just kinda figuring, why when there are thing that work as well and wont get them fussed up.

#19 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:39 PM

That's really good to know about the baking soda.  Thanx :)

I use rose vinegar for sun burns.  It works wonders.

#20 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

My daughters pediatrist recommended baking soda in the bath for diaper rash. I never heard my baby scream so much! Will not be trying that again! A lot of people online recommend it too, but it did not work for us.