14 replies to this topic

#1 ButterflyMe

ButterflyMe

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

Damn back button.

I live in Guatemala, and books on the craft here are very hard to find, especially in English.  So my mother has agreed to bring me two books that I can buy off of her card on amazon.  (I don't own a credit card, but I pay her in cash for what I buy).  I can really only afford like $30 or $40 because here that's 225 or 300 bucks here!  I just found out as well that my sister just bought me this book! and a new pack of tarot cards.  :)  

I could use some advice or reviews if you've read the books:

I really thought that The Way of the Hedge Witch looked interesting and like something for me.  

But now, I cannot decide out of these books and maybe you could give me your two cents?

Shamanism as Spiritual Practice for Daily Life

Awakening to the Spirit World

or perhaps offer your own ideas.  I really don't know anyone else who has read anything like this.    

#2 LostInTheMatrix

LostInTheMatrix

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

The "Book and Music Review" thread has a lot of reviews on occult readings, if you want to check it out. There's also a thread on here that has a link to Cornell University's witchcraft literature collection on this site somewhere (not quite sure where lol), but that has some interesting stuff on it, too.

I've only read a couple of books dealing with traditionalism. The Witching Way of the Hollow Hill and Letters from the Devil's Forest are both by Robin Artisson. They were the only books recommended to me by a family member, and although I don't follow this specific tradition now, it was a good starting point for me. Witching Way of the Hollow Hill actually goes into pretty good detail about hedgecraft, like how to get started and all. These are the only books I own for now, so I don't really have anything to compare, but my experience with these two hasn't been bad. Like I said, for me they were good starting points. They are also both on Amazon.

#3 ButterflyMe

ButterflyMe

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:40 PM

The "Book and Music Review" thread has a lot of reviews on occult readings, if you want to check it out. There's also a thread on here that has a link to Cornell University's witchcraft literature collection on this site somewhere (not quite sure where lol), but that has some interesting stuff on it, too.

I've only read a couple of books dealing with traditionalism. The Witching Way of the Hollow Hill and Letters from the Devil's Forest are both by Robin Artisson. They were the only books recommended to me by a family member, and although I don't follow this specific tradition now, it was a good starting point for me. Witching Way of the Hollow Hill actually goes into pretty good detail about hedgecraft, like how to get started and all. These are the only books I own for now, so I don't really have anything to compare, but my experience with these two hasn't been bad. Like I said, for me they were good starting points. They are also both on Amazon.

Thank you!  I saw that there was a book and music review section after I posted; I am usually multitasking when online.

I'll look those books up.  

#4 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

I havent read the books you posted but I have read some similar style books....  You may want to also look into these two books which are kinda similar to what you are looking at (these just happen to be ones I read and enjoyed though).

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1508637326/

The Plant Remedy - This is a book I wrote based on Amazonian and Andean curanderismo which might be similar to some local healing practices in Guatamala.  It especially focuses on how to work with plant medicines like magic mushrooms, Ayahuasca, San Pedro, Peyote, datura, Salvia Divinorum, tobacco ect.....  Basically the shamanic tradition of working with plant spirits.  (BTW - I have a couple sample chapters for this book here: http://www.soulremed...ieta/4591702819 and http://www.soulremed...ling/4588027985)  I also sell pdf's for only $5!

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1780994192/

Medicine for the Soul by Ross Heaven.  This book teaches the core shamanic drumming method, and I notice the other shamanic books you were looking at teach a similar method.  Basically westernized/simplified shamanism.  While this style of work is simplified I think it can still be a good starting place because you can grow the practice on your own once you get the basics down, and if you practice enough eventually your practice wont look like what is in the book anymore, but it will take on a life of its own.  I havent read the books you posted but I have read multiple books on this method of work and this was my favorite so far.  

The good thing about either of these two books is that both focus on helping you create a strong connection to your spirit guides, and once you know how to communicate with your guides they can really teach you just about everything else you need to know.  So either or both of these books could create a foundation that you could build the rest of your practice from.  

#5 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

I'd recommend finding digital copies of books too.  Amazon alone has tons of free ebooks related to the history of witchcraft.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#6 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:03 AM

I swear I'm not trying to kiss ass (Hey, MW!! <3 ), but these books are VERY good, and I highly recommend them. If you're looking for a specific tradition/path, I don't really know, but I DO know you can't go wrong with great herbals. (IMO)

http://www.amazon.co...tch's formulary

http://www.amazon.co...8P0P3HKQ8SR20HN

Edited by Evergreen47, 19 March 2016 - 12:04 AM.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#7 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:58 AM

I liked Treading the Mill by Nigel Pearson when I first started. Still do, but it's very English-centric (though easy enough to adapt for a New World witch--although I just had to edit this realizing you're in Guatemala! Oops! Well, whichever continent, it's worth buying IMO, but it's cheaper on amazon uk). It just depends on which path calls to you! Lots of great books recommended on this thread already.

Edited by westofthemoon, 20 March 2016 - 06:02 AM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#8 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Sorry, no, that is too much to pay for a paperback. Everything you need is available at Sacred Texts. I love books too, but none of those are worth hundreds of dollars. That exchange rate is a monster.

Edited by Christine, 20 March 2016 - 10:31 AM.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#9 ButterflyMe

ButterflyMe

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:29 PM

Sorry, no, that is too much to pay for a paperback. Everything you need is available at Sacred Texts. I love books too, but none of those are worth hundreds of dollars. That exchange rate is a monster.

I totally forgot I made this post!   :wacko:

It's not a hundred US dollars, and even books in Spanish are hundreds of quetzals here.   I bought my daughter a lovely book full of fairy stories for about Q150.  Things that are local is super cheap.  I get a liter of raw cow milk, fresh and still warm, delivered at my door for Q4 (50 cents USD), and can buy a dozen carrots for the same price.      

I just checked out sacred texts and I am grateful for you!  Thank you!  

#10 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

It's a great resource. You're welcome.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#11 Coyote

Coyote

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:23 AM

Wow that exchange rate sounds pretty bad! I thought the current rate between the Canada and US dollar was bad.

If I had any recommendations, I'd say anything by Jason Miller, Robin Artisson or Gemma Gary are worth having a look at.

#12 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

Also not kissing ass...:) but

Ill just say this, since you seem to be interested in Shamanism- from what I have seen Travsha really seems to know his stuff:).

Also Sacred Texts IS awesome!

As far as "The Way of the Hedge Witch"- I am unfamiliar with that particular book. However, it looks like it may be one of many "hedge witchery" books that are not at all about hedge witchery.  For SOME reason, for years now publishers/authors (idk who is responsible for this) have been referring to kitchen witchery as hedge witchery.   So, just be mindful of that when you are looking.  

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#13 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

Most of the books I read are "real" books not "witch" books. At this link are lots of free book broken up by subject. Check out "Botany" and "Astronomy" and "Beekeeping" and "Forestry" and "Mushrooms" and "Herbalism" and "Papermaking" and pretty much every category there.

http://www.survivorl...m/?page_id=1014

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#14 ErinnAinsley

ErinnAinsley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:05 AM

It's not a book recommendation but a suggestion (if someone said it I apologize and missed it)

If you have a device that can have an ebook reading app or have an ebook reader... Do it! If access is an issue.

There are lots of books I used to try to get that were out of print or had the price jacked way up absurdly. Once I started using ebook apps (I use 4 of them now basically which might be a bit nuts) I had far more options among the things I couldn't previously get, and for far cheaper than paper books. (Like 98%of the time anyway)
Not as enjoyable as the smell and feel of book in the hand for many, but if it means getting the material at all, then it's worth it.

I have kindle, kobo, iBooks, and then a generic e-book and pdf reading app. Whatever bookstores of the greatest selection that you can purchase from, check if there is a way you can work with that, I would say. They might have a device or app or PC app for their ebook selection.
I guess this might be an issue if you don't have a credit card or other payment options though...
There are also a LOT of free and super cheap ebooks and PDFs on various websites and you can find fantastic material that way. That's something worth searching the web and certain types of websites for, regardless but especially if you can't buy online, don't have the money or a credit card or Paypal etc
Sacred Texts was already mentioned - I think I did most of my reading there just on the webpages, and can't recall if it allows downloads, but it's great either way...and that's the only one I could remember off hand because I have reading to catch up on and haven't bothered looking for much new in a long time, go figure lol, but similar sites aren't hard to find. I will post others if I can dig them up or recall them again.

Anyway. Maybe you've been down this route or maybe the availability of ebooks is just as poor for what you are able to access from Gautemala, I don't know the situation.
But if you haven't and are at all able...the ebook route has been totally worth it and allowed me to get stuff I wouldn't have otherwise.

#15 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:43 AM

Personally, I stay away from anything published by Llewelln.   The hedgewitch book you mentioned had some interesting reviews.  Namely that the book isn't about hedgewitches at all.  I think the title might be misleading and lead to many disappointed people.

I can't point to a specific craft book that I've read.  Mostly I like to explore topics that interest me, from an anthropological, philosophical or history view point.  I try to tease out what might be relevant.  

Just the other day I ordered 'The herbal medicine maker's handbook: a home manual' by James Green to give me a really solid foundation in herbs.

'The master book of herbalism' by Paul Beyerl, which is supposed to be a bit sketchy on medicinal herbs but an excellent resource on magical uses.

and 'Cunning folk and familiar spirits: shamanic visionary traditions in early modern British witchcraft and magic' by Emma Wilby  this one is a bit pricey though.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998