Sign in to follow this  
birdiejoy83

the evil eye

What are your thoughts about the evil eye?

Do you believe in it?

Have you experienced it?

All thoughts are welcome please dont refrain from commenting ????

Ummm...Yes I have it.  Evidence suggests that this is so. When I get mad at someone then unfortunate events occur, usually immediately...

And I have scary eyes. Now, I don't know what is so scary about them but I have been told that my mad look is very scary. I have children and I never punished them but they were afraid of the look. I would say "Why? I am not scary, I do not beat you or send you to solitary confinement or call you names." 

When they were little I would just say "If you don't behave, I will get mad at you".. and that was all it took. 

My guides purposely provoke my anger at times, when they want to get something done.  Emotion is a very powerful tool. 

Lol wow!I feel bad for the person foolish enough to get on your bad side!! It wouldnt surprise me if many people unknowingly posessed the evil eye

I know. I don't do it on purpose. It was kind of like a standing joke because who really believes in that stuff but there were too many coincidences.

Now I know a bit more about it and I understand that if I am crossed, I will be defended. 

Usually nothing really bad, just nuisance type bad luck. But there is one person who really did me dirty and I hope he is getting the treatment. 

I have talked to another person who claimed to have it. 

It is just a superstition, but where there is smoke there is usually fire.  Emotion generates energy and energy has to go somewhere. 

I believe in the evil eye, in as much as the intention behind it.

I agree with Belle wholeheartedly, emotion creates energy and the energy has to go somewhere.  The art is in directing it.  I also believe that this works for both negative and positive energy.  It's easier to control and direct positive energy, as opposed to negative energy, which can sometimes feel like it is taking you over.

Hell hath no fury, like a woman/witch scorned!

@Belle,  I wouldn't want to cross you... Maybe you should start wearing sunglasses B)

I know. I don't do it on purpose. It was kind of like a standing joke because who really believes in that stuff but there were too many coincidences.

Most of the members here and many, many people across cultures and continents.

Now I know a bit more about it and I understand that if I am crossed, I will be defended. 

The evil eye is based in envy, jealousy, so-called 'negative' base emotions. 

You'll be defended by what?  It's not generally considered a defensive mechanism. 

I believe in the evil eye, in as much as the intention behind it.

I agree with Belle wholeheartedly, emotion creates energy and the energy has to go somewhere.  The art is in directing it.  I also believe that this works for both negative and positive energy.  It's easier to control and direct positive energy, as opposed to negative energy, which can sometimes feel like it is taking you over.

Hell hath no fury, like a woman/witch scorned!

@Belle,  I wouldn't want to cross you... Maybe you should start wearing sunglasses B)

Energy is energy.  Directing it, regardless of the flavor, is the pretty much the same.  Any hang-ups between positive and negative come from the practitioner - not the energy itself.

Sunglasses don't stop the evil eye.  :D   But it's said that eyeliner can :P

I believe in it. I believe people can cause it without even knowing it, as emotion and intent rises inside.

Energy is energy.  Directing it, regardless of the flavor, is the pretty much the same.  Any hang-ups between positive and negative come from the practitioner - not the energy itself.

Sunglasses don't stop the evil eye.  :D   But it's said that eyeliner can :P

F**k the sunglasses and the eyeliner, when I'm angry I'm angry :angry:

But I find when I channel positive energy, I'm calm and collected (and there isn't an ICON for that) LOL.

In Italian folklore, the evil-eye (malocchio) is usually un-intentional, although there are different schools of thought and the thing is really ambiguous. 

The main source of it is jealousy. The eye is the vehicle through which this charm (it is a charm, even though unintentional) reaches the victim, but the real roots are in jealousy and envy. 

One of the classics examples of evil eye, pretty much everywhere in Italy, is baby envy. A woman would be jealous of another woman's baby, and the envy would cause the mother to lose her milk or the baby to grow slow, to be sick, or not to eat. 

Animals can also be victim of the evil-eye, which can also cause physical troubles to the victim and general bad luck. 

Symptoms usually are: 

- trouble sleeping, nightmares 

- frequent migraines 

- feeling sick, without a specific cause 

- loss of energy

- loss of weight 

- bad luck in any productive activity 

- animals, pets or farm animals, are depressed, sick. Cows stop producing milk, hens lay less eggs, pregnant animals have complications

None of the items in this list is alone a sign of evil-eye, but if more are present, the possibility of evil-eye is taken into account. 

In the practices I know, there are two ways to find out who's doing the evil-eye. One is through dreams, where the dreams of the person are taken into account. If the evil-eye has been cast, there is a possibility that the some clues to the person who's cast it will be present in the dreams. Scrying is used to, normally in water, together with fasting and prayer. 

The evil-eye is normally lift with a small ceremony that is very common throughout Italy, with some differences (there are many videos of it on youtube, just google 'rito malocchio olio' or something similar). It generally includes a white plate, water, olive oil, scissors and/or nails, and/or matches, and/or salt. The way the drops of olive oil expands or retreat tell if the evil-eye is there. Some conjurations are made (normally in christian terms, these times), the water is crossed and other operations can be performed. Once done, the water is normally thrown out of the house of the victim, or at a crossroad. 

From what I understand, these practice and beliefs are very common throughout the Mediterranean, and I believe they originate in Greece/ Turkey / Crete . 

I've read a lot of the lore throughout the Mediterranean, but  one area of study that really caught my interest was Egypt. I remember coming across talks of the effects of evil eye while reading about Kemetism and lore in Egypt. Many of the posts talked about how one of the greatest uses for it was envy of another. This always made me curious as how prevalent that is in our every day as well, and how important/beneficial protection really is. 

I was actually just coming back to fix that.  :)

The thing with the evil eye is that the majority of the time - it's not intentional.   There are people out there that have honed it into an artform but they're not very common.

Technically, it's an unintentional casting that comes from 'negative' base emotions.  AKA flinging.  AKA lack of self control. 

Envy isn't it's greatest use.  That's the emotion it's most commonly based in.   Think about this for a sec 'you have a prettier baby than mine' FLING!  horrible things can happen in that childs or parents life based on petty jealousy.  If one reads the lore - many, many of the protections are for protecting the innocent from petty, damaged and shallow people.  The lore is not kind.  I'm really not being an asshole here - I'm suggesting that those who are interested do their own research on it.

And the black eyeliners were used to protect one from receiving AND sending the evil eye.

• Upvote 2

Oh my i came back to so many wonderful responses! ???? And i hope my post wasnt bothersome..i believe in the evil eye.. my great grandmother was born in the old country, i remember her telling us about how to protect ourselves . She often speculated our family was cursed lol .

Can't hurt to do some Road Opening rituals if that's the case. You never know what kind of blockages there are hanging around through the generations and you might find an extra dose of prosperity or fulfillment come along unexpectedly if you can open the door. Ask Great-Granny to help out..she's got a lot better view from the other side now.

As a barren woman in a bad relationship with significant psychic projection abilities, the evil eye is legitimately something I have to be careful about accidentally casting out there. It's one of the many reasons I avoid babies and child care, just too much emotion wrapped up in all that. Sometimes people get wiggy about it "Why don't you want to hold my baby? Everybody loves babies!" But they don't understand the pain they are causing. Especially with the probing, inappropriate questions.... "So when are you gonna have one of your own??" I know they mean well, but I try to just avoid these sorts of conversations altogether.

I've used the "I'm coming down with a cold and I don't want to spread my germs" excuse on many occasions.

It's not just babies though, any time you feel an emotionally charged anger or pain, best to remove yourself from the situation...or harness that energy into a legitimately useful hex.

Edited by RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome absolutely! I think tonight would be a good time to do a road opening ritual . You are such a lovely member ????

I was actually just coming back to fix that.  :)

The thing with the evil eye is that the majority of the time - it's not intentional.   There are people out there that have honed it into an artform but they're not very common.

Technically, it's an unintentional casting that comes from 'negative' base emotions.  AKA flinging.  AKA lack of self control. 

Envy isn't it's greatest use.  That's the emotion it's most commonly based in.   Think about this for a sec 'you have a prettier baby than mine' FLING!  horrible things can happen in that childs or parents life based on petty jealousy.  If one reads the lore - many, many of the protections are for protecting the innocent from petty, damaged and shallow people.  The lore is not kind.  I'm really not being an asshole here - I'm suggesting that those who are interested do their own research on it.

And the black eyeliners were used to protect one from receiving AND sending the evil eye.

Plus one from me RR! I wear eyeliner for that reason, big belief in the Roma culture. Men wear it a lot too on big occasions because parties get wild, and it is said to bridle the passions/protect from and prevent casting an evil eye. Cool to see another mention that, my male friends tell me I am crazy for doing it, but they can get over it, everyone looks good in eyeliner, haha!

I had originally read of it as an envy issue, along with the type of lore Aria mentioned.

Then a few years ago when one too many coincidences had piled up, I started realizing that my getting full on furious with someone tended to go hand in hand with bad things for them soon thereafter.  It was not a talent- as I surely not only did not intend harm (okay, you know saying I wish you'd f-ing die isn't the same thing as firing a gun on purpose).  I, at that time, had no IDEA this was possible.  But, then I started to freak out when something nearly fatal happened to someone that had no business happening in the natural course of things.  So, I talked to another witch about it and was dutifully informed that this was an aspect of the evil eye, yes it was real, yes I was causing it, and now that I know better, I should control myself a bit.  So, yes, firm believer in this.

I agree WP, everyone does look good in black eyeliner, male and female. Great example, Johnny Depp. 

I second that notion oroboros ????

Wear that eyeliner with pride! Hehe. Im pretty sure my mom and sister have the evil eye, they have that same effect on people that you speak about, but theyre totally unaware of it half the time . I have to protect myself around them lol!!!! One year i got my brother and i some matching figa charms ???????????? oooh we're a mess, my family and i ????????

Birdiejoy hmm, Im picturing childhood...

No! Mom, I SWEAR we did not break the vase.

Well, SOMEBODY did!   BIRDIE!, is that a dirty gesture you're making at me?!..What are you doing with your hand... and WHY is your brother wearing my MAKE-UP!!! Just, wait until your father gets home!

Very interesting (I had to go utube it, lol)- here's an English version from You Tube (I can't speak Italian, lol)....

Edited by Michele

Oh,yes. I believe in the evil eye! I've been the receiver and projector of malocchio. In both cases, it seemed that it was not only envy but that the weilder of said evil eye felt the target was bragging or rubbing something in their face. I've never been a braggert but I'm a little more aware of how I present things to people. I didn't know about the eyeliner. That's great!

Sign in to follow this