Sign in to follow this  
Kalinia

What can I do to further follow a traditional path?

Bumping :)

One thing I’d like to add, trad craft is a good template, but it’s largely just a template. One of the reasons we shouldn’t read too much is because the witches of old only had so much knowledge and resources. It is true that trad craft was a certain way back in the day when it was practiced more widely, but as with physical human crafts, spiritual crafts can be advanced by the modern age. It’s nice to have old and authentic recipes for incenses and such, but it’s like cooking. Today we have access to so many herbs and resins and innovational thought, we should take advantage.

That old authentic recipe is likely good, just like the old trad recipe for cake. But with advances in baking we made cake much better, and we too should be trying to advance with these spiritual recipes. I was browsing The Encyclopedia of Magickal Herbs the other day and noticed that in the beginning Scott gave an example of a love incense recipe.

The recipe given included “Lemon balm, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla” to simply include herbs associated with love is basic, and lacks passion. We no longer live in times when simply knowing which herbs are associated with love, or obtaining them is the challenge on its own. I suspect our ancestors would probably get a little annoyed watching us scower the web for days, to find one of their multiple traditional healing incenses when we could probably be making an even better one.

We have the resources to put a little more thought/creativity and effort into any aspect of the craft.

If I was making this incense/oil for a man, id like to include an herb or two for courage like masterwort, because inducing feelings of affection will do no good if he’s too shy to act on them. I might add lavender as well, because it’s associated with love- and peace, and I suspect the peaceful energy will help get us on a smoother start with less potential ‘bumps’ in the road. If this were an oil, I’d add a little sugar as well to sweeten our interactions so that he’s encouraged to talk to me. There are a lot of angles to tackle each problem we deal with (and we didn’t even get to considering planetary correspondences of the herbs yet).

Gordon Ramsey isn’t Gordon Ramsey because he settled for basic “it’s scrambled eggs so I put eggs on a pan and waited for them to get solid”. He cycles taking the eggs off the pan, and back on so that they get cooked while maintaining a softer creamier texture by not overheating. If he can put that much effort into scrambled eggs when everyone else though there was pretty much just one way to do it, there is plenty of room for advancement in the craft as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Guest Gabriel999

To give an example, I was always drawn to electricity and started to learn by my own and study 4 or 5 hours per night as well as going to university.

I built sound systems and amplifiers which use vacuum and they became an essential part of my spiritual cleansing as well as practicing instrument tuning, playing music, drawing. That was all part of mastering my instincts and achieve something later. 

Perfection like Gordon Ramsey, well said FancyShadowCat, collect wine, collect art, make art, study hard everyday, self-criticize, be humble, try never boast because we live in a continuity, there is only one stationary point in the universe.

Do not seek. Let it come to you. When everything is silent, everything is being prepared by the elders.   

The fact that there's no instruction manual for TW is perhaps its most attractive quality. It can also be the most frustrating thing, especially for us newbs.

I'm gonna quote RoseRed above and say "Look deeper". And while I think she was probably referring to the forums specifically, I'm going to advise to expand that to all areas of your life. Read deeper, search deeper, experience deeper, feel deeper, believe deeper. Go deeper in your connection to nature, into introspection, in exploring levels of consciousness, in reading history and folklore and religious texts. Go deeper into your family history, with your practice and rituals. Go deeper into your connection with spirits.

It can be so frustrating when you are a solitary witch and people tell you "it's not about what's in the books". It can make me want to throw my hands up and say "then where am I supposed to find it?" But yet, I do end up finding the wisdom I need and precisely when I need it. Ask your ancestors or any spirits that you have a good relationship with to help you. They will show you exactly what how they want to be worked with and can lead you to new resources and teachers and experiences. Focus in on a couple of practices and become an expert on them rather then feeling like you have to become an expert at all aspects of traditional witchcraft in all traditions at once. You've got plenty of time to explore.

It's not so much about what you read but how you read it. You're already learning how to think like witches of old...that's why Wicca didn't sit right with you. Your perspective is changing, as though you were able to step back a few feet and see a bigger picture than before. Dive into religious texts, historical documents and folklore with these new eyes. Study the culture of your ancestors, or whatever tradition speaks to you. Plus a couple of other trads for perspective. Find the common threads in beliefs and practices. Look to the shamans, or the healers, or the diviners and spirit workers and storytellers. They are present in almost every culture. Learn to be comfortable with metaphor and parables.

It's good to study the history of the occult as well, even Gardner and Crowley and all that, even when it doesn't speak to you. You're not reading their works as a how-to guide, but learning about where they got their resources and why they set up their orders the way they did. Understanding the how's and whys will help you to know what parts of their teachings you can ditch, and which parts may have some wisdom for you. It's okay to take a deeper look at Wicca, as long you do it with your new eyes. Don't blindly follow anything someone tells you is fact...get to the bottom of things and see the big picture.

The heart of Traditional Witchcraft is a connection to the ancient practices of witchcraft. You can come at it from many angles and cultural perspectives. But for the most part, there is no clear view of exactly what those ancient practices looked like, so we can gather evidence and piece it together (which is how most of our understanding of history is put together anyways). But we have the added bonus of being able to directly ask ancient spirits and teachers to help guide us on that hunt for wisdom, to help us navigate the sea of crap that is out there in modern occult teachings.

It is a tedious process to dive deeper, but trust that the process is as valuable as the end of the journey.

Just wanted to bump this post, it's really well said.

• Upvote 1

When I began, it was a long time ago & I understood very little about how the universes worked... I say universes because there is guaranteed more than one. I read a lot of books & studied every topic. That is why my nickname is Hunter online, it should be Huntress, however some topics abroad are more difficult to be a part of when others learn you are female.

Anyway, now I have learnt to take everything with a pinch of salt because you are not the same as anyone else & what works or appears to be true to their lives may not be true to your own. That is why, as others have stated, it is so important that you do your own research & follow your own intuition.

Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed. People complain when their witchcraft results are not occuring, well, you could take a painkiller & it may not work to. Nothing is guaranteed because it is not only us here, we are surrounded by interfering energies & properties. Our DNA is each unique, we only share basic similarities due to our evolution in this biological world where we must survive to pass on our DNA. Otherwise we would have nothing to host in this physical dimension. All of the dimensions require each other to exist at all as far as I am aware & of course they require specific environments for life to survive like we do here. Otherwise there is only energy waiting. Most people cannot contemplate eternity & doing so is a good way to learn why & how everything exists as it does. Science tries to take on all of the data, but it never will. The amount of data & knowledge is infinite. Micro-factors interfere with results, sometimes blowing a common result completely off course. When we die we exist as just consciousness, we are just there. I remember before I was born, but I cannot really seem to find anyone else who does. I just existed, moving through the dark of space with no name & no concept of time or anything else. Next thing I knew, I was basically trapped in a babies body, unable to communicate properly or move. I forgot & I grew up like a normal child, learning about this world & learning how to thrive here. I do not speak of this in life because it is so bizarre. However, my memory did not completely go & I experience these memories as you would dejavu. I am therefore, not afraid of dying because when death occurs, it will be my time.

Once you understand who & what you are & begin to achieve what you really want, then your power over your environment, the people around you & yourself will come into it`s own. All magic used by the magical occults & religions all stems from the same source & it`s who they have chosen to be. You must choose who you are & that might mean digging deeper into yourself more than you have ever imagined. Do not follow books or videos which do not resonate. Take on valuable knowledge, but discard opinions. Study everything, not just magic, but all the topics because then you will find the interlinking patterns which show the true from the false. Keep yourself healthy too, eat well, sleep well & do what`s best for yourself.

In regards to people, it is better to operate in secrecy unless they are your trusted partner in life, close relative or friend. The reason I say this is so that their energy cannot directly impact any of your workings by thinking about them, nor will you provoke jealousy with success. Other people, muggles or whatever you wish to call them are not non-magickal & they can impact you. Be very careful of the people you choose to emphasize with. In this world most feel powerless & they can only change their lives by feeding from others energy. They deliberately seek out able folk to assist them because they do not comprehend any other way.

I must go now, caffeine calls me. Good luck & take care.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Oh thank you to everyone who posted recently and brought this thread forward. This is what I needed.

I posted when I joined I was very unsure but i knew wiccan wasn't the "IT". There are too many excellent posts to quote so i am just going to thank everyone.

I have been searching for years and questioning without any real questions but apparently I have had the answer to what I have been seeking all along.

So I have been practicing the craft alone (until I had children)and all my life (I am 40). I don't use any "tools " except myself and the stuff I have on hand. I have been studying aromatherapy and herbalism for almost 20 years. I feel at home in nature while searching for plants. I have always thanked the plants for allowing me to harvest from them and their contribution to whatever I am using them for. The same with animals, when my uncle taught me to hunt, my first instinct was to thank the animal for it's sacrifice and providing us food. To this day I thank my chickens and ducks for their eggs and i taught my children to do the same when they help me.

When I cook or make an herbal remedy I ask the herbs or plants to help with certain things I know they have properties to help with. My husband and children may giggle at me but I find comfort talking to what I am cooking or brewing or when I attend to my garden and animals. I maybe a shy person and I don't connect to other people. I do however connect with all things earth and in cannot quit talking to animals and plants. I also have always been drawn to the skies. I have always found myself star gazing. Thinking back, I have noticed this is when I question everything. I stare for hours at the moon or stars when the moon isn't available and blurt out 1000s of questions. I believe this is when I " meditate". for divination, I have always seen and heard spirits and oddly enough as a child and growing up I have just talked to them. I see someone or hear someone (or something) without a thought my instincts have told me ask them- why are you here or what do you want from me.

I have noticed I almost always get what I want. If you "will it" you "will get it". It may not always be when you want it but it will be when you need it. It took me a long time to learn that I brought on the bad and good in my life. Thoughts and attitudes effect all aspects of life. I live the life that makes sense, makes me happy and gives me what I need.

I guess I just needed someone to confirm my craft. Idk, maybe this is what I was seeking. Validation.

Again thank you all.

• Upvote 1

My apologies for the 2nd reply as I couldn't figure out how to edit my first post.

More recently in the past few years I started studying rocks and gems. I was walking through my creek one day with the twin toddlers and I heard the rocks calling me. I felt the need to pick them up and ask them what they wanted.

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2016 at 1:13 AM, Kalinia said:

I feel like there is so much out there in regards to Wicca and neopaganism. Sometimes I don't even know for sure which is which. I've been on a path of my own for several years but have always kind of been in "searching" mode.

Don't bother with that, boxes are not helpful.

I know I do not resonate with Wicca. I know the online community is mostly full of neopaganism info and chaos Magick/occultism. I never felt anything when going through the motions of casting a circle, calling corners, asking deity to join etc (years ago when I discovered wicca)

That's because not all of us need that.

When I see others ask about this people say to practice. Practice what exactly?

Practise is what you make it, your way. Others mean it more traditionally, after the book type of stuff.

I feel such a calling, like right now I'm going through some sort of shift, but my own mental state holds me back. I am working on breaking through this.

Working to being in touch with your inner voice is good enough.

I feel something so deeply but am not sure exactly what that is. Sometimes it scares me. Sometimes it feels amazing.

Well,  there you go, you are already aware of a different side to life, also very good.

I feel so free when I am out in nature away from the day to day. I talk to trees and plants and love to work with them.

Sounds like the flora and fauna might be you guide and inspiration. Maybe get in touch further by learning more about traditional plant craft and basically just any practise connected to the forest and even by the sea.

I listen to my dreams more and am trying to trust my intuition further instead of questioning it all the time.

Yes ! That is the voice you are seeking for 🙂

I feel like this forum is where I need to be but I worry all of my posting is getting annoying! Hope that's not the case.

Do NOT worry about what others might think, I hope and trust our monitors can see when a witchling us in need of guidance and let the questions come forth without judgement. It is better to ask a question too much rather than one less that needed - that is one of the things that can get you into big trouble.

Everyone started somewhere, and it's so interesting to me to know how people evolved in their craft and where the path has taken them.

As a said above about asking questions  - I had none to explain to me what was happening, I just thought it awesome that my "wishes" came true.."without consequence". Nope, dearie. You "take" one thing and always lose something else - pretty much equal to what you got. I still underestimate how strong my "gift" is at times and get burned. I think I had something latch on to me when I was very young but to this day I have no idea what. But I think I know how. I called for it, and I got it. I was probably about 9. But all in all, I am happy about being my own creation and walking on the dark side.

If you are willing to share, how did you progress in your craft in a world that is seemingly more populated and informative with neopaganism?

By following that inner voice that tells you what is you and what is not you. That voice is pretty darn strong if you listen. I can tell you have it too. Don't buy into the commercial bullshit, it is not necessary a tool you need. There are many great books but now as "being a witch" is trendy the bullshit is all around us misleading many. That isn't a new thing, you can trace it back decades, heck even centuries if you think about it. You can find a lot of free content online, if your voice or interest comes alive, follow that lead.

Edited by NorwegianWitch
  • Like 1

Some great posts on this thread! I thought I'd replied to this, but can't see it so I must not have done (scatterbrain). When I talk about 'practising', I'd have regular things I do (ancestor work, chatting to spirits etc.) and irregular things - a specific spell. I think our personal practice usually has some overarching beliefs and themes that weave into our everyday life. Elements of my practice will probably pass on to my son, for example (if he decides to go that path), because he's grown up with things like giving offerings to ancestors and spirits or talking to plants and learning about their medicines. 

I made the most progression my Craft when I pared back for a bit and relooked at what I truly wanted and felt interested in. For me, a large element of my practice relates to my Ancestors. It's been a long evolution, but initially I did a lot of reading from publishing houses that focus more on Traditional Witchcraft, listened to what other witches had to say (sometimes agreeing and other times not) and also into other spiritual belief systems alongside the historic practices we know about in the cultural history of my country and Ancestry. After that, I put the books down and just had a go. I listened to my intuition and tried things out. Certain things felt right and called to me, then the path sort of became even clearer and I moved from London (where I was born and where have a deep connection to) to Wales to live a life I felt the path was calling me to live, with land I could cherish and build a relationship with. That all happened over years and I didn't rush decisions. I also loved being a Witch in London and used all sorts of urban ingredients, so I would never change that time at all. 

I think taking the parts of the path you enjoy can be really important. Often, when you're working on those, you end up dipping into lots and lots of different things naturally. Don't be afraid of asking questions on the forum, share your own experiences (up to whichever point you feel comfortable) and read lots of old posts. Don't worry about pulling up old threads. Some of them are fascinating. Take things slowly, if you feel you're on the brink of something, don't rush it, let it happen organically. Ask yourself if there are areas you particularly want to explore and what you might want to get. For example, part of my ancestor work is because I want to heal certain aspects of my family tree. You're obviously drawn to plants and trees, so perhaps looking into practices around them would be the best place to start. There are lots of good threads on that here. You could choose a single tree or plant to work with and focus on that for a while and see where it takes you. I often think a small step like that can be a strong foundation and create big change. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

After reading through all these great replies and having struggled myself I just had a thought... why not do a kind of book report or journaling of what you’re reading (I’m really typing to myself)? If you get stuck and all you’re doing is reading, maybe start analyzing and breaking down what you’re reading in a notebook of some kind and find out what your own thoughts and feelings are. Just an idea. 

Edited by ravengraey

Sign in to follow this