Photo
- - - - -

What can I do to further follow a traditional path?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Jacno

Jacno

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

I feel exactly the same , I've tried to find so many traditional witchcraft groups only to find that they turn out to be Wicca . And would like some guidance in the right direction to practicing true traditional witchcraft.
Please help !

#42 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:24 AM

There is much advise and research suggestions on this site about this topic.

Here is a good place to start.

Traditional Witch Home Page Articles

This is not a teaching site and you are unlikely to find a mentor to walk you through your path here,

but as stated there is lots of information available for you to do your own research and learning.

Enjoy the journey!

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#43 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

I've been looking into urban shamanism, and these don't seem much different from psychic, OOB trance travel in meditation. How you get there can be culturally theme-based if that's helpful. Vocabulary varies. Practice should be adapted to be relevant to your life. What im saying is that we don't have to imitate our ancestors lifestyle. To me, relevancy is what makes a practice authentic, and realistic to daily practice. To experience the Earth's telluric energies, reasonably I do have to get out of the house and touch the sod. My back yard or a park are accessible whereas a back pack journey into the forest is not. Like all witches I use what's available. That's very traditional :D

There are instructional books if you just search Traditional Witchcraft on Amazon books. The reviews help you decide which one's are worth buying for your situation. There just is no one, true, authentic, traditional witchcraft methodology. There are some shared practices but every geographic region has it's own style.

Check out podcasts by Peter Paddon and Trad Witch YouTube videos. Sara Anne Lawless has a good web site.

There are differences from Wicca, but the underlaying core is the same Earth, Moon and Sun. Small folk-magic differences like compass instead of circle; the tools are more "rustic" and natural,; contact with spirits, ancestors and deity without pantheons unless you are guided to them. Wicca incorporates some "high magic" methods, and in some regions, so does TW because no path stagnates and survives.

Edited by Zombee, 07 November 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#44 Moly

Moly

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

Like others have said I'm not really into the objects. Or rather I am, but imaginary objects, not physical ones. I do not actually need to go outside although I respect that others do. For me I need to get my mind to a certain state. I tend to think that it's about what happens deep in the darkness of the mind and the tools you use to cause those happenings, which could be physical tools but don't have to be, just whatever works for the practitioner. A symbol that you use within the alchemy of the mind. The mind is a natural place, as natural as sticks and rocks, it's a manifestation of some organic configuration. I can use moly wood effectively in my mind, I have grown and built a useful fairy boat of moly wood, for traveling between fairy isles, although speaking in terms that most people on Earth would agree with, moly does not really "exist".

I'm not sure though, I may be wrong, or I may just completely differ from others in a way that is totally OK, not completely sure.

Edited by Moly, 03 December 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#45 Jacno

Jacno

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

Thank you for your help and advice , very much appreciated and has given me a guide as to where to start

#46 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:46 PM

Back in the days as I was learning to cast a circle, I wasn't satisfied just to follow the how-to instruction books. I questioned everything. Why a circle instead of a square? Why not a spiral? What does a maze do? I wanted to know the reason why for each part of the rite, and observe or feel it. So I experimented with everything, adding in and taking out pieces and observing the effects on the whole. Using crystals vs using water vs candles vs herbs vs sticks of incense to mark a circular path, & using a garden hose (full & empty) to lay a circle. Water increases psi senses. Flowing water increases it more. I worked indoors & outdoors; using a Stang as altar vs Western Occult style altar. I compared raising energy from Earth or calling it down from the Moon or Stars at night and Sun by day. Any variation I could think of is employed. I experienced how the energy varies & which is best for me. The colors i see surrounding me vary and tell me my status. Even the ozone smell varies. Visualized circles vs shuffle-paced circles, vs cast energies that waffle off my pointing finger or pulse by wand or beam sharply by blade. Each tool does the job but does it differently. A wand is 2-way, like a companionship, with the live-wood connecting to the massive, living pulse of the Earth. It's quite different from the forged blade that knows my imprinted Will like the steel manufacturer's stamp. I've found pacing spirals is a game changer. I've face planted in the lawn a few times, brought down just by the energies swirling around. Ive used charging the circle itself as the spell (per Gardner) and compared it to charging a chi energy-ball and letting it go, balloon-like. I wouldn't know any of this if I hadn't dug deeper into why this and not that, and then 'sperimented like a big kid.

I'm not saying everybody should go & cast circles. I just wanted to know more about them. It's what interested me. Some people dont find them useful so have other interests. Each of us goes with our talent & what peaks our curiosity and as far as our nerve will take us.

Edited by Zombee, 09 December 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#47 Moly

Moly

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

Back in the days as I was learning to cast a circle, I wasn't satisfied just to follow the how-to instruction books. I questioned everything. Why a circle instead of a square? Why not a spiral? What does a maze do? I wanted to know the reason why for each part of the rite, and observe or feel it. So I experimented with everything, adding in and taking out pieces and observing the effects on the whole. Using crystals vs using water vs candles vs herbs vs sticks of incense to mark a circular path, & using a garden hose (full & empty) to lay a circle. Water increases psi senses. Flowing water increases it more. I worked indoors & outdoors; using a Stang as altar vs Western Occult style altar. I compared raising energy from Earth or calling it down from the Moon or Stars at night and Sun by day. Any variation I could think of is employed. I experienced how the energy varies & which is best for me. The colors i see surrounding me vary and tell me my status. Even the ozone smell varies. Visualized circles vs shuffle-paced circles, vs cast energies that waffle off my pointing finger or pulse by wand or stream sharply by blade. Each tool does the job but does it differently. A wand is 2-way, like a companionship, with the live-wood connecting to the massive, living pulse of the Earth. It's quite different from the forged blade that knows my imprinted Will like the steel manufacturer's stamp. I've found pacing spirals is a game changer. I've face planted in the lawn a few times, brought down just by the energies swirling around. Ive used charging the circle itself as the spell (per Gardner) and compared it to charging a chi energy-ball and letting it go, balloon-like. I wouldn't know any of this if I hadn't dug deeper into why this and not that, and then 'sperimented like a big kid.
I'm not saying everybody should go & cast circles. I just wanted to know more about them. It's what interested me. Some people dont find them useful so have other interests. Each of us goes with our talent & what peaks our curiosity and as far as our nerve will take us.

Awesome story and knowledge of circles. I was really interested by what you wrote about casting energy with finger vs wand vs knife and also particularly your thoughts on wands as a 2-way.

In certain situations I also get these powerful sensory feedback like you describe with colours and ozone. Colours and music. A non-magical person would describe these experiences of mine as hallucinations. Which seems like such a limited and silly way to describe it.

#48 Jacno

Jacno

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

Awesome story and knowledge of circles. I was really interested by what you wrote about casting energy with finger vs wand vs knife and also particularly your thoughts on wands as a 2-way.
In certain situations I also get these powerful sensory feedback like you describe with colours and ozone. Colours and music. A non-magical person would describe these experiences of mine as hallucinations. Which seems like such a limited and silly way to describe it.

#49 Jacno

Jacno

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

Thank you zombee for you post , like you I'm not satisfied with books because I like to now the why's of things .i found what you said very interesting and it has inspired to experiment a bit with how I do things . This has been very helpful

#50 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:47 AM

@Jacno - glad it helps. It's good to know others see these things too. :)

@Moly - I physically see the energy like a blueish cloud around my hands. Im fairly sure im not imagining it. Ive always seen auras. Sometimes its like a cloud of breath on a cold day, rising up around my face. When i point my finger the cloud around my hands sluggishly ambles towards the ground and lazily spreads out to a circle. When I point my wand (a maple stick), I see flat ribbons that pulse like a wave from the other end, and with the blade it's a narrow beam.

When I've drawn down moonlight to use to cast with (vs raising earth energy) I pointed one end of my wand at the moon to draw the energy through it, and the other at my chest (in one end & out the other) letting light surround me like an aura; then still using the wand, pointed at the ground and used the aura to cast the circle. Just experimenting. The wand is like a conduit and energy can flow either direction.

I've also held up my open left hand towards the moon and drawn energy thru me and out my right hand holding the athame. It makes a direct line. Raven Grimassi often mentions in his books drawing down the moon onto the earth, so I took it literally and tried it. Another way would be catching the reflection in a dish pan of water sitting on the ground. It works to gaze at to get a trance effect. Sometimes gazing directly at the moon makes me dizzy, so it's reflection stands in.

I certainly don't always have the mental focus to do this, and only experiment when the mood is on me and the smokey lights are visible. These circle "play dates" were over a couple of years, weather permitting, in my back yard. Full moon lasts a couple days so why not use them all?

Another thing I noticed is incense smoke either clings to me like spider webs or, when I'm radiating, so to speak, won't touch me. If I move towards it, it slides away and no breeze involved. Just observe all you can and eventually it's useful.

Edit - oh, and when I've used my staff (pine) I find it's willing to draw earth energy up, pull it right out of the ground, to make a circle. it doesn't have to go through me, but when it does & I hold the staff, then the Earth and I are pulsing with the same beat. Sometimes there's been a crawling, tickle feeling under my bare feet that pulses in short waves.

The first time I'd ever felt anything like that was when I was out walking my dog up a grassy hill, minding my own business (Nov 1988) & a big wave shot up from below my feet and out my head like a dose of salts, and pitched me right out of body. It felt like a back flip. I looked down from waaay up high and saw radiant light lines crossing the ground. a flock of south bound Canada geese was just passing through, then I was back in my body, geese honking overhead, and a magnetic pulse rippling under foot. I stood there crying because it was one of the major experiences ive ever had. In a flash, I knew for sure the Earth is conscious, and all Nature is part of one organism. Call it my awakening. Earth was aware of me. It's what made me eventually look into witchcraft (in which, until then, I'd had no interest). I wanted to know what the heck had happened. I was familiar with OOBEs. No problem there, but that pulse! Woowhee. So, that's why I've been so intrigued by experimenting with the energy of a circle. It's all one.

Edited by Zombee, 09 December 2017 - 06:58 PM.