Photo
- - - - -

What can I do to further follow a traditional path?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:43 AM

I feel you. Every word you said.

Since I'm also on a similar stage I probably don't have any worthwhile things to say. Lately, however, I started researching  folklore, especially those with witchy elements in them, like shapelifting, plant spirit, and, of course, witches.

They may not provide any practical advice, but the aesthetics alone reminded me why I chose this path, instead of others.

Just my 2 cents.

#22 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

Just beautiful, Evergreen.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#23 artemis13

artemis13

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:00 AM

When I first started, I didn't have any books to read so I went with what felt right. At some point, I decided to search for books. The first ones were Wicca, but like everyone else I did not agree with them. My advice is do what excites you. For me, it's herbs. Read whatever looks interesting. Listen to what is around. Relax and have fun.

#24 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:43 AM

I agree with every comment on this thread. We are guided to the areas we need to explore. It's where your enthusiasm lies. Sometimes you have to explore areas that aren't right for you so that you know what is not your cup of tea. When you are reading about another path, you can compare and contrast, see the similarities and differences from the path you ultimately choose.  I never really studied Wicca or wanted to be a witch but I did read a bit, for entertainment purposes only. There are some concepts that I use. I didn't learn it from the books but I was able to look back and see the common principals.

I was guided to learn astrology and it was an obsession for a couple of years. This was before I was aware of my 'guardians'. They were there prodding me along but I did not know it at the time. I always wanted to learn the cards, but just never worked for me. Sure I can give myself a simple reading but I don't deeply understand the meanings of the cards. It just wasn't how I was meant to approach the symbolism. 

The funny thing about learning astrology was that my goal was to be an expert astrologer and become certified and be legit, but that wasn't the plan.  I had to know how to work with that energy. I use it for magic, and as a map of the psyche. I took classes for a while, until it was time to quit because I had learned all I needed to know. It's a tool, not my 'job'...

I think your dream was very significant.  That's really your guides showing you that you are right there. Opening the door is a big step. Do you want to open it? Maybe just look through the keyhole for now. 

My 'Guardians' taught me everything I know, or they showed me where to look. They taught me a system that is complicated and not typical, but it's just a unique way of working with the same stuff.   

Everybody is different, but the spirit world likes to provide clues. So that is mainly through intuition, but also pay attention to synchronicity. Everything is synchronized, and the words of others and your own words can bring you guidance. Also, the songs you hear on the radio, or the snatches of overheard conversation can be meant for your ears. Just like the indians would listen to the wind, we have our clues. 

That's why writing is important. scribbling thoughts, doodling, whatever...Sometimes you'll find meaning, and when you look back then what you wrote before, might bring you more understanding. It's also handy to be able to know what you were doing last month, or last year....

Meditative activity, like coloring in a coloring book, or playing a casual online game, doing a puzzle...anything that engages half your mind while allowing the other half to wander.  

I think that everybody has a different purpose for going down this path. There is a job you are supposed to do and maybe that is being a great card reader and helping people understand their life circumstances.  Maybe it is something else. I hope that your 'job' is fulfilling and rewarding and that it brings you joy. 

#25 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

Excellent thoughts, Belle. If I may add my two cents, it took me a very long time to find my path. I grew up thinking I was meant to be Lutheran, and then I tried Wicca and Neopagan Christianity in my early college years. Nothing fit, but being raised the way I was and those years of transition and questioning taught me how to feel out the answers. Going entirely by intuition, without much guidance from others, can be terrifying; it certainly was for me. But no matter how daunting it may seem, keep searching. The energy you put into finding your path will come back and help bring things together; all you have to do is keep your mind open and keep thinking on what you know. However, the important thing is to not let it consume you. The neat thing about the human brain is that you can start thinking about something consciously, but your subconscious will still be mulling it over when your conscious mind switches topics. Your brain will help you along when you need to focus on something else; keep doing what makes you happiest and feeling most fulfilled, without really spending too much time on questions. One day (hopefully soon), everything will start making sense, bit by bit.

#26 Lauvitra

Lauvitra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

I was never interested in Wicca and Neo-Paganism either, but the abundance of such topics everywhere wasn't much of a problem for me.

My path is traditional Finnish witchcraft, and it started as a family tradition to me; I learned from my grandfather. Among many other things, he taught me some spells, folklore and stories, and how to pay respect to the local spirits.

Later on, as I wanted to expand from those pieces and practices I'd learned as a child, my path was already clear and I knew exactly what to look for. There hasn't been too much information available and what there is out there, is sometimes hard to find. Thankfully, knowing what you're looking for has always helped a lot. Narrowing down the subject as much as possible makes the search for information much easier.

Of course, in order to do that, one already needs to have at least a rough understanding of what they want to find, so I don't know if that would help someone at the very beginning.

"We pledge ourselves to you, the Frame-Maker, the Scarab:

a world for us to love you in, a cloak of dirt to cherish."

#27 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:48 PM

I am finding that when I really need to learn or explore something, it is presented to me in one way or another. The term open a can of worms comes to mind.

#28 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:51 PM

I am finding that when I really need to learn or explore something, it is presented to me in one way or another. The term open a can of worms comes to mind.

-------------------------------

I agree with this, Kalinia.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#29 jojo

jojo

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:20 PM

I know this initial post is over a month old now, but, I have to add my 2cents worth.  I, too, have wondered about these neo-pagans.  I've always kinda put myself into that category, cuz I didn't have any other "title" to give myself or explain to others.

I have been bangin' around this esoteric, magick world for almost 30 yrs now.  The biggest reason, and blessing, that I came here to TW is because I really don't understand these neo-wiccans and all this stuff they keep talking about! In return, they don't understand me. And there is so much literature out there now that I find very little that interests or challenges me.

Finding your way, in anything, you gotta take it one step at a time. Teachers and information will come to you  at a point that you are ready to recieve it. Just keep working on what you got and where you are.  

It is still astounding to me, at my age, that new things keep showing up; my mother used to say,"when I get to the point where I say I know it all and theres nothing more to learn, put me in the ground!"

I am just entering my Crone-hood, and am realizing there is stuff I need to revisit, cuz I'm sure I will have a different perspective, and new lessons, than what I did even 5 yrs ago.

#30 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

I think there comes a time when witchcraft stops being something you do between problematic life events and starts being the way you manage those life events. I see a lot of beginner witches (not here) talk about finding the time to practise and make time in their lives for their craft. To me living a craft path is when you start naturally reacting to the world around you with the tools of a witch. You don't put off casting because you've had a hard day at work, you take active steps to get rid of the problem that made you tired and cranky in the first place.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#31 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:21 PM

I think there comes a time when witchcraft stops being something you do between problematic life events and starts being the way you manage those life events. I see a lot of beginner witches (not here) talk about finding the time to practise and make time in their lives for their craft. To me living a craft path is when you start naturally reacting to the world around you with the tools of a witch. You don't put off casting because you've had a hard day at work, you take active steps to get rid of the problem that made you tired and cranky in the first place.

Yep!  It can really be a way of life - sometimes the hardest part is learning how to integrate your practice into your lifestyle so that the two are no longer separate....  Gets a little easier once you are in the groove.

#32 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

My path opened wide when I found TW.

I treated TW like a full time job, reading and learning from those Witches on the Traditional Path longer than myself. 

More than any book... or collection of books... it was other Trad Witches generously sharing their individual experiences, insights and wisdom that I found invaluable.

What they 'gave' me was and is and will remain Priceless.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#33 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

I honestly feel the same. This forum has been an opener for me more than anything else.

#34 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:45 AM

I did the whole wicca is all there is, but it's not what I want and that's pissing me off' thing when I was a teen as well :)  My personality has been a huge part in how I approach what I do.  I'm one of those people who has to know things.  Not just the surface, but I have to get in there and find out the core of the core of the core truth of the matter.  I won't let something rest until I feel I have a deep grasp of it.  

When I was in my 20s I read somewhere that witches of reeeeeally old did not have fancy-smancy tools.  Living 1,000 years ago, most would not have been able to read so not written anything down.  Most would not have been able to afford a special knife just for magical work, but would have one good knife and it would be used for everything. This really rang true to me and is what informs a lot of what I do now.  That 10th generation grandmother ancestor, what would she have done?  I imagine she would have got to know her environment really well.  Learnt to read the weather, to understand the animals where she lived and what was normal behaviour for them.  Learnt to read omens in anything unusual for that environment.  Learnt what plants could heal and what could harm.  Some of it through handed down knowledge, some of it through trial and error.

I don't start from scratch with everything now, life's too short lol.  But I keep this as my measuring stick.  When I come across someone saying 'oh you need to have this and must go buy that', I imagine this ancient grandmother and what she would have done.  If it doesn't fly with her, then I know it's not essential to my path.  Also, getting really good at substitutes helps :)  I imagine doing a spell for memory that calls me to toss some things in a bag to carry with me and one ingredient is rosemary but I don't have that, then just using a small elephant symbol I have because both represent good memory.  That sort of thing.  I know some spells call for really specific things, but as I said, I'm more about the essence of the thing.  More what would be called low magic than high ceremonial magic.

I've never really been interested in herbs but have become really fascinated with making my own flying ointments and such.  I read that to start mucking about with toxic plants, it's a good idea to get some really sound foundational knowledge first, so I'm studying herbalism in order to do that.  I'm also exploring chaos magic.  Not because I want to be a chaote but because I want a better understanding of how magic works and different ways to work with it.  The best advice I could offer is to ask yourself what makes you curious?  What are your passions and interests?  It doesn't have to be specifically witchy, it could be anything.  Look into that as somewhere to start, learn a bit about it and then explore witchy ways of doing it.  Cooking and sewing are two very mundane activities that can be super witchy if you want :)

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#35 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

I started seeking at 17 as a trance medium, and witchcraft was the furthest thing from my mind. I branched out through psychism, or parapsychology. Then got the religion bug and went in a contemplative convent. It was after exiting (in my mid-30s) & wondering what was next, that I was directly shown by visions. It took me another 5 years to figure that out and land in Wicca. But I want to get to the root and core. So I am new to TW.

What I am gleaning from this forum is treasure beyond knowing. And what I hear everyone saying in this particular post is that to further your path, live intuitively. That's delightful YES! Live intuitively.

Edit: And a new subject for my study, although i've been interested many years, is bird language. I finally found a basic book about it - "What the Robin Knows" - and it includes backyard behaviors as well as in the wilds. It's great for me living in the city. I want to know what they're saying!

Edited by Zombee, 05 January 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#36 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

The best advice I could offer is to ask yourself what makes you curious?  What are your passions and interests?  It doesn't have to be specifically witchy, it could be anything.  Look into that as somewhere to start, learn a bit about it and then explore witchy ways of doing it.  Cooking and sewing are two very mundane activities that can be super witchy if you want :)

-------------------------------

I agree! +1 from me. I like all of your post even though I've just quoted the end part. 

Regarding the elephant, here it would be the other way round. Plenty of rosemary but a noted lack of elephants.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#37 Faolana

Faolana

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:02 AM

I really appreciate the OP and everyone else's responses to this... I feel like the OP quite often, and very much want to be part of the community here but feel it's more important for me to read everything here and keep my head down. Sometimes I'm so filled with questioning but no actual questions! I just wanted to say thanks for this thread because it was just what I needed.

#38 Amarilis

Amarilis

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

Abraxia Thalgus wrote: 

'When I was in my 20s I read somewhere that witches of reeeeeally old did not have fancy-smancy tools.  Living 1,000 years ago, most would not have been able to read so not written anything down.  Most would not have been able to afford a special knife just for magical work, but would have one good knife and it would be used for everything. This really rang true to me and is what informs a lot of what I do now.  That 10th generation grandmother ancestor, what would she have done?  I imagine she would have got to know her environment really well.  Learnt to read the weather, to understand the animals where she lived and what was normal behaviour for them.  Learnt to read omens in anything unusual for that environment.  Learnt what plants could heal and what could harm.  Some of it through handed down knowledge, some of it through trial and error.

I don't start from scratch with everything now, life's too short lol.  But I keep this as my measuring stick.  When I come across someone saying 'oh you need to have this and must go buy that', I imagine this ancient grandmother and what she would have done.  If it doesn't fly with her, then I know it's not essential to my path.  Also, getting really good at substitutes helps :)  I imagine doing a spell for memory that calls me to toss some things in a bag to carry with me and one ingredient is rosemary but I don't have that, then just using a small elephant symbol I have because both represent good memory.  That sort of thing.  I know some spells call for really specific things, but as I said, I'm more about the essence of the thing.  More what would be called low magic than high ceremonial magic.

I've never really been interested in herbs but have become really fascinated with making my own flying ointments and such.  I read that to start mucking about with toxic plants, it's a good idea to get some really sound foundational knowledge first, so I'm studying herbalism in order to do that.  I'm also exploring chaos magic.  Not because I want to be a chaote but because I want a better understanding of how magic works and different ways to work with it.  The best advice I could offer is to ask yourself what makes you curious?  What are your passions and interests?  It doesn't have to be specifically witchy, it could be anything.  Look into that as somewhere to start, learn a bit about it and then explore witchy ways of doing it.  Cooking and sewing are two very mundane activities that can be super witchy if you want :)"

This is exactly what I am thinking every time I feel I am being sucked into the whole commercial side of things... I really feel that you don't need any of this stuff although others like to tell you otherwise, advertisement, social networking..all that is brainwashing people. There is such a huge market out there for "Wiccan supplies" or websites tempting you to "buy your Hoodoo oils here".. I'd say my grandmother would just shake her head in disbelief haha...She would turn cooking into a witchy thing, it might have been low magic but it was certainly effective. I love the idea of substituting! It's something that I would do, too. Trail and error, see if it works.. That's how our ancestors did it, and by approval over the years it turns into a tradition. Lovely post, Abraxia!  :) (I am working my way though the forums...phew! So much great reading material!)

Edited by Amarilis, 27 August 2016 - 04:17 PM.

#39 Amarilis

Amarilis

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

I really appreciate the OP and everyone else's responses to this... I feel like the OP quite often, and very much want to be part of the community here but feel it's more important for me to read everything here and keep my head down. Sometimes I'm so filled with questioning but no actual questions! I just wanted to say thanks for this thread because it was just what I needed

Agree with you! It's a lot to read and I feel like a big sponge soaking it all up. 

Yes, great thread, thank you!!