Photo
- - - - -

What can I do to further follow a traditional path?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:13 AM

I feel like there is so much out there in regards to Wicca and neopaganism. Sometimes I don't even know for sure which is which. I've been on a path of my own for several years but have always kind of been in "searching" mode.

I know I do not resonate with Wicca. I know the online community is mostly full of neopaganism info and chaos Magick/occultism. I never felt anything when going through the motions of casting a circle, calling corners, asking deity to join etc (years ago when I discovered wicca)

When I see others ask about this people say to practice. Practice what exactly?

I feel such a calling, like right now I'm going through some sort of shift, but my own mental state holds me back. I am working on breaking through this.

I feel something so deeply but am not sure exactly what that is. Sometimes it scares me. Sometimes it feels amazing.

I feel so free when I am out in nature away from the day to day. I talk to trees and plants and love to work with them.

I listen to my dreams more and am trying to trust my intuition further instead of questioning it all the time.

I feel like this forum is where I need to be but I worry all of my posting is getting annoying! Hope that's not the case.

Everyone started somewhere, and it's so interesting to me to know how people evolved in their craft and where the path has taken them.

If you are willing to share, how did you progress in your craft in a world that is seemingly more populated and informative with neopaganism?

#2 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:57 AM

Everyone started somewhere, and it's so interesting to me to know how people evolved in their craft and where the path has taken them.

If you are willing to share, how did you progress in your craft in a world that is seemingly more populated and informative with neopaganism?

Wicca/Neo-Paganism was never an issue for me. I read about Wicca years ago but was never interested. I've always done my own thing. I don't play well with others so joining a coven was out of the question, actually it still is :D . I studied Sanatana Dharma first then Kemeticism. Read up on Ifa tradition and practiced Theistic Satanism for awhile. Journeyed into Theravada Buddhism for a short period. I have a gatekeeper spirit who's been with me forever. She "opens doors" for me (leads me down different roads). Every road I've taken has helped me work through something in my life. I've also picked up a lot of spirits on the way who have helped me progress. And of course my ancestors.

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

Have you looked for any local pagan groups or Sanctuaries in your area?  Any magic/metaphysical/herbal shops?  Any local gatherings?  I think some personal interaction would be very beneficial for you.

I love TW.  The mods work very hard to keep it what it is.  Your questions aren't annoying at all.  A lot of what your asking is in a lot of the older threads.  And one of the things I love here is that years can go by and what one which questioned before can help another today.  And your questions in turn, etc, rinse and repeat. :)

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:05 PM

Yah I have! There are often pagan gatherings and they are wonderful but very neopagan. Same with the shops. Can be fun though!

I agree! I spent a lot of last night browsing old threads and learned so much.

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

Look deeper. 

#6 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

I am loving this string, thanks for creating it.   I'm busy right now so cannot respond the way I want to, but I will after I take an internet break to spend time with the new moon and solar eclipse... For me spending time means doing lots of writing in my book of shadows/journal, creating a piece of art and spending lots of time with my furry animal and plant pals. :)

Edited by TemperanceMoon, 06 March 2016 - 03:54 PM.

#7 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

What I've learned from reading past posts last night , and am going to start doing. 

Spend more time working with and learning about herbs/flowers/plants/wild life. Especially around your area. Look into lore for them as well.  ( This spring I am going to work even more on my garden, and dust off my local edible plants and regular wildlife identifying books, and get my butt out there and start exploring, and working.) I am going to incorporate plant energy into every magickal working that I do. 

Practice divination. ( I have already found that I take really well to oracle and tarot decks. I pull a card each day, and am going to practice really letting my intuition guide the reading vs the books)

Do simple magick every day, or as often as you feel comfortable. ( I am going to stop being an armchair witch, and get my hands dirty)

Never stop learning, and seeking knowledge. Stop doubting yourself so much, and listen to your intuition. 

#8 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

Since being more active, I have also been having a lot more vivid dreams lately. Two nights ago the name of a spirit came to me, and last night I had a dream where I was working a spell on a big door to get to the other side. Something was there and I needed to prove that I was ready to open it and that I could. 

I couldnt. I woke up and forget the major details. Lots to do, deeper to go!

#9 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

For me what helped most was when I stopped trying to read so many books...  They mostly either all say the same thing, or they all just sell you a story....  And I dont want to take someone elses word on their story - I want to experience things for myself without starting from a place of dogma.  I'd rather live my own story then buy someone elses story....  (at least in the case of spirituality - I love a good fiction!)

What helped me the most was trusting my own intuition and doing ceremonies in the way that came naturally to me, and also finding good teachers I could watch and learn from.  To find teachers who taught what I wanted to learn I had to travel to South America for months at a time.  When I tried to make do with teachers where I live I never got what I really wanted because for whatever reason I was called to a very specific tradition....  But traveling was totally worth the effort to improve my personal practice - it was actually one of the best decisions I ever made (I had to quit my job, sell my car, live in a 2 bedrooms apartment with 3 people ect to afford it - not easy, but worth it).  

Most useful skills to learn are trusting your own intuition and communicating with a spirit guide of some kind.  If you figure out these two things then you can learn everything else from your intuition and spirit guide.  

#10 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

Wow that is so interesting! How did you find the teachers? What I believe to be a spirit guide has definitely been trying to get my attention!

#11 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

The fact that there's no instruction manual for TW is perhaps its most attractive quality. It can also be the most frustrating thing, especially for us newbs.

I'm gonna quote RoseRed above and say "Look deeper". And while I think she was probably referring to the forums specifically, I'm going to advise to expand that to all areas of your life. Read deeper, search deeper, experience deeper, feel deeper, believe deeper. Go deeper in your connection to nature, into introspection, in exploring levels of consciousness, in reading history and folklore and religious texts. Go deeper into your family history, with your practice and rituals. Go deeper into your connection with spirits.

It can be so frustrating when you are a solitary witch and people tell you "it's not about what's in the books". It can make me want to throw my hands up and say "then where am I supposed to find it?" But yet, I do end up finding the wisdom I need and precisely when I need it. Ask your ancestors or any spirits that you have a good relationship with to help you. They will show you exactly what how they want to be worked with and can lead you to new resources and teachers and experiences. Focus in on a couple of practices and become an expert on them rather then feeling like you have to become an expert at all aspects of traditional witchcraft in all traditions at once. You've got plenty of time to explore.

It's not so much about what you read but how you read it. You're already learning how to think like witches of old...that's why Wicca didn't sit right with you. Your perspective is changing, as though you were able to step back a few feet and see a bigger picture than before. Dive into religious texts, historical documents and folklore with these new eyes. Study the culture of your ancestors, or whatever tradition speaks to you. Plus a couple of other trads for perspective. Find the common threads in beliefs and practices. Look to the shamans, or the healers, or the diviners and spirit workers and storytellers. They are present in almost every culture. Learn to be comfortable with metaphor and parables.

It's good to study the history of the occult as well, even Gardner and Crowley and all that, even when it doesn't speak to you. You're not reading their works as a how-to guide, but learning about where they got their resources and why they set up their orders the way they did. Understanding the how's and whys will help you to know what parts of their teachings you can ditch, and which parts may have some wisdom for you. It's okay to take a deeper look at Wicca, as long you do it with your new eyes. Don't blindly follow anything someone tells you is fact...get to the bottom of things and see the big picture.

The heart of Traditional Witchcraft is a connection to the ancient practices of witchcraft. You can come at it from many angles and cultural perspectives. But for the most part, there is no clear view of exactly what those ancient practices looked like, so we can gather evidence and piece it together (which is how most of our understanding of history is put together anyways). But we have the added bonus of being able to directly ask ancient spirits and teachers to help guide us on that hunt for wisdom, to help us navigate the sea of crap that is out there in modern occult teachings.

It is a tedious process to dive deeper, but trust that the process is as valuable as the end of the journey.

#12 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

What I've learned from reading past posts last night , and am going to start doing. 

Spend more time working with and learning about herbs/flowers/plants/wild life. Especially around your area. Look into lore for them as well.  ( This spring I am going to work even more on my garden, and dust off my local edible plants and regular wildlife identifying books, and get my butt out there and start exploring, and working.) I am going to incorporate plant energy into every magickal working that I do. 

Practice divination. ( I have already found that I take really well to oracle and tarot decks. I pull a card each day, and am going to practice really letting my intuition guide the reading vs the books)

Do simple magick every day, or as often as you feel comfortable. ( I am going to stop being an armchair witch, and get my hands dirty)

Never stop learning, and seeking knowledge. Stop doubting yourself so much, and listen to your intuition. 

I read your first post and immediately wanted to suggest that you 'practise' with herbs/flowers/plants etc.

Reading further I realised that you've pretty much answered your own question already :)

Be nice or go away!

#13 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

Wow that is so interesting! How did you find the teachers? What I believe to be a spirit guide has definitely been trying to get my attention!

I found the teachers different ways...  Found my main teacher after reading a book about her, and found other teachers through word of mouth from other people.  I know a lot of good teachers now though - too many for me to study with all of them....  I even found one good teacher close to where I live now, though I still work with the teachers in Peru as well.

I also agree with the above post to look deeper into everything....  Everything in your life becomes a teacher and everything in your life reflects your spiritual practice.  Relationships will teach you about magic, cooking will teach you about magic, walking in the trees will teach you about magic, your car breaking down will teach you about magic....  Really - if you stay very conscious and aware, then everything becomes an opportunity for learning and it all starts to reflect back to your spiritual practice if you pay attention.  Training never starts and it never ends.

#14 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

This has been a wonderful conversation, thank you!

#15 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:53 PM

For me what helped most was when I stopped trying to read so many books... 

I came here to suggest a book :P

'Letters From The Devil's Forest' by Robin Artisson.

When I see others ask about this people say to practice. Practice what exactly?

I feel such a calling, like right now I'm going through some sort of shift, but my own mental state holds me back. I am working on breaking through this.

I feel something so deeply but am not sure exactly what that is. Sometimes it scares me. Sometimes it feels amazing.

I feel so free when I am out in nature away from the day to day. I talk to trees and plants and love to work with them.

I listen to my dreams more and am trying to trust my intuition further instead of questioning it all the time.

I feel like this forum is where I need to be but I worry all of my posting is getting annoying! Hope that's not the case.

Most of my path until almost a year ago now is well-documented on TW. Since then I suppose plenty has happened.

One thing I have discovered is that if I seek something, I will find it. Sometimes all that is necessary is to go with the flow.

If you are being seriously called in a certain direction, it can really be as easy as floating down the river and allowing yourself to be carried there.

Sometimes, too much control can cause a whirlpool that keeps us stuck in place.

I find that putting my intent out to the universe (or whatever you want to call "It") is enough. RoseRed taught me that the most important of things can be accomplished just by sitting down and having a talk with the universe. Talking to a candle flame or the night sky, and explaining that you want to break through and get to the other side, can be immensely powerful. 

In all, I find there to be a difference between my spirituality and sorcery. I have found that practicing sorcery is useful only for getting better at sorcery - so "just practice" is not particularly useful for me in terms of spiritual breakthroughs. 

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#16 jefftos

jefftos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:39 AM

I came to witchcraft in a very round about way. I grew up very repressed and very fundamentalist and so I ended up spending many years simply wading through what it was I believed and what I did not. Wicca never really interested me, I was always more scholarly when it came to religious studies and so when I read a lot of the things that Wiccan's claim to be true I simply looked for the sources and, finding none, or finding that them unsatisfactory, moved on. Until a few years ago I never would have even considered myself a witch. I came to magick through experiences I had while practicing meditation that I felt the tradition I belonged to couldn't or wouldn't explain. Then I spent some time pursuing Ceremonial Magick which I took to with zeal but always felt it to be too formal. After some time I just said screw it, I'm going to go my own way and crazily enough all of that practice I had done in various traditions as I was a seeker melded together into a very personalized system for me, everything seemed to finally click. I was practically training myself for years without really realizing it. All of those meditation methods, energy practices, divinations, learning to talk with spirits, all of it had a purpose but I was too thick to really see it when I realized it I felt like the karate kid realizing that Mr. Miyagi wasn't just making me learned to clean his shit for free.

#17 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

Thank you for reminding me of that, honey. 

It's always lovely to see you :)

#18 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

After some time I just said screw it, I'm going to go my own way and crazily enough all of that practice I had done in various traditions as I was a seeker melded together into a very personalized system for me, everything seemed to finally click. I was practically training myself for years without really realizing it. All of those meditation methods, energy practices, divinations, learning to talk with spirits, all of it had a purpose but I was too thick to really see it when I realized it I felt like the karate kid realizing that Mr. Miyagi wasn't just making me learned to clean his shit for free.

I used to beat myself up early on when I'd sit down and think about the various paths I've traveled. I couldn't see why I was being led in different directions. It wasn't until late 2015 when I sat back and realized everything I've learned during the journey and how much stronger I am.

#19 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:57 PM

I feel like everyone has pretty much covered it. You just keeping learning and doing and your practice grows.

I know that I go through seasons in which I'm way more interested in certain areas than others. I follow my intuition. I add to my practice and weed out my practice as needs be.

I can tell you in my experience that the only constant in my practice is my relationship with the earth I live on and my regional spirits and plants. 

Other than that, go where your spirit takes you. Don't be afraid to try new things and trust your personal gnosis.  :ani_witch_moon:

(This forum is INVALUABLE, but even here I go through ebbs and flows of activity and relationships.) 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#20 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:07 AM

That is so true! Keep learning and doing. I'm seeing that more and more.