Photo
- - - - -

visuals during meditation- are they important?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

I really don't enjoy guided meditation personally. I know it works for some people though. My spirit guides have lead me places though, and that can be fun and informative. As was already mentioned by others on this thread, it really depends on your purpose of meditating. If your goal is to clear your mind, ideally you should not see anything. I have ended up in a place I call the void. Absolute nothing. No thought of the outside, no light, no fear, no pain, no awareness of my own body, nothing. Just my disembodied consciousness seeming to float around in empty space. It absolute peace, and very liberating. Some warn that at that point you need to be careful you don't drift off and never return. Here it may be useful to have a sitter to call you back after a certain amount of time. I was gone for two hours once, and it felt like 5 minutes.

I have seen mandalas during meditation for visualization, Jungian style. Its good to try to draw them when you come out. It can be therapeutic, and some are quite beautiful.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#22 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Solanaceae thats a brilliant idea to draw what i see. Dont laugh, but i was searching the internet to see if anyone else had similar visions but the closest i came was stuff about khundalini energy (which is not resonating with me whatsoever). In a nutshell, my vision was a white serpent dragon-ish creature coiled around a planet that had a beautiful purple hue

#23 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

@ Birdie- this is interesting.. There is an old and I mean old, thread on here discussing Kundalini and a mediation, power raising technique, that I was just reading this morning.  Prior to that I had only ever heard the term in passing.  IDK but this seems appropriate here- let's see if I can find the thing again...

Okay here it is birdie- if this is totally unrelated my apologies...

http://www.tradition.../4015-progress/

Edited by Oroboros, 10 March 2016 - 09:12 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#24 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:45 PM

Dont apologize that was quite a lovely read

#25 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:33 PM

What you described almost sounds like the oroboros (however you spell that, lol). 

M

#26 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:50 PM

Not that anyone cares:), but as far as the spelling:
Apparently there are two accepted spellings, Ouroboros being the most common one- I use the other spelling because all the "o"'s reflect the appearance of the symbol to me.

It does sound exactly like some of the artistic renderings of it and it's certainly easy to research the meaning and see if that jumps out as you as something that may have importance to you personally. It is ancient and has been used in various cultures and by various groups but the "life out of death, good out of bad, circle of life", type of feel is usually associated regardless which culture is using it. It is a bit more profound than that- may be worth a quick study if that seems to ring any bells with you.

Edited by Oroboros, 11 March 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#27 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:11 AM

Speaking of Sychronicity, this is probably the fourth or fifth time this week that someone has mentioned Kundalini energy to me or that I've come across it. I don't remember the first instance but I know that something had caused me to read up on it because it sounded like something I already practice. A day after reading up on it, my best friend comes to me and says he had a dream about a serpant and a woman had told him it was a kundalini dream.

It's popped up in conversations and things I'm reading several times since then and I've been seeing snakes everywhere on top of it. Strange considering that before a couple of months ago, I had never heard the term. Seems like the universe really wants me to pay attention to this for some reason. So of course it stands to reason that Oroboros who is already riding the grand wave of synchronicity this week would be the next person to bring it up!

#28 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

Same here RG

#29 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

What I find fascinating about it all - Kundalini, the un-spellable OB (lol), ache, chi, etc., is that if you take away the cultural attachments, the base understanding of - the recognition of -  the energy is the same. So it is recognized in most cultures, just given different names and mythology/personifications to bring it's understanding closer to the people. Something recognized that much over widespread cultures is, to me, something worth looking into. 

M

#30 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

M- Exactly! That thought process is why I think comparative religion studies is so interesting. But also, in magic, completely different cultures, separated by spans of time and space tend to approach certain problems with the same types of spells, ingredients and correspondences. I feel like with spell work then there becomes- over the span of human history- a duality to why those things are effective. First, it's seems that in the stores of human knowledge, somehow it is fundamental truth that certain things work for certain problems (even when that connection is not obviously apparent). Then in addition, when enough people have been using similar practices to achieve similar goals for long enough, it seems that even if it had not been originally effective it would gain efficacy because of a thought-form type power of association that begins to build?

#31 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

I love studying religions - if money and time were no problem, I'd get a degree in theology, lol. That's an interesting thought, whether a specific property gains momentum over time and use within a group of people... it would make sense.

M

#32 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

Exactly. It's the common threads of world religions where the truth is laying in plain sight. The dogma and details are such a destraction.

#33 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:00 PM

+1

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#34 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:14 AM

@Oroboros, What you said about the thought form type power of association strikes a giant chord with me. 

I had a 'kundalini' experience that was very intense. It was all at once, and very difficult but it changed me forever. I didn't ask to climb that ladder, but I did, and then the reward is another ladder.

#35 jefftos

jefftos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:10 PM

I've been meditating and doing practices that stimulate kundalini for a few years, (Kriya and Zazen) and I've heard the same advice, to ignore the visuals as distractions. Most of the time this is solid advice, but sometimes it is just plain wrong. I've had visuals in meditation where advice was given to me that I still use to this day, and others that have saved me from making a fool of myself. The trick is to be discerning enough to know when something is helpful and when it is just your mind or some spirit messing with you. From what I've experienced, that kind of discernment comes with time and lots of practice, which is why I think most advanced mediators continually tell the beginner to just ignore everything. 

#36 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

While there are a plethora of meditative techniques from different paths and teachers most seem to fall into 1 of two forms IMO:

1. Void meditation.

The pursuit of 'empty-mind' a good training tool, good for relaxation, may be useful in inducing trance.

2.Discursive meditation.

The pursuit and intensely focused unfolding of one particular idea, concept or image to obtain greater meaning. This is key to the symbolism of many traditions and, (again in my opinion) a more useful magical tool.

I would expect, and be trying to still/remove (in most cases) images in the case of (1).

I (being a visual person) would both expect, and be trying to control and retain useful/relevant images in the case of (2).

An interesting essay comparing the two can be found here. 

(AODA [druidic], comparing x-tian vs buddist interpretation of the two types)

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#37 Guest_SorcererSupreme_*

Guest_SorcererSupreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

As you quiet your mind, strange things will happen. You'll reduce the amount of gross distractions and start to notice the subtle energies, and after this the very subtle energies like the movement of your energy body.

In the process of all this certain powers will begin to be noticed, usually it's either subtle sounds or the sight. In Yoga the words for these two types of powers are divyachaksu siddhi, which is the clairvoyance of divine eye, and divyastrota siddhi, the clairvoyance of divine ear. (Like Superman's X-Ray vision and his Super Hearing abilities, and yes you can see vast and distant locations, or see what is on the other side of the brick wall you are facing during meditation. THIS SHIT IS REAL!!!)

After gross distractions have been reduced or eliminated, the subtle energies of sight and sound will begin to manifest. What you're really doing is increasing your awareness, that's what meditation does, you're increasing the awareness of your eyes and ears, you'll begin to notice more of what exists. You'll also begin to notice the triggers for almost anything that would cause a normal person to be affected by delusions of the mind, such as anger,ignorance, and desirous attachment. You'll notice the triggers for what usually causes anger and see the stupidity that someone is trying to use and be at an advantage using wisdom to defeat the ignorant attempted attack. Everyone can be reasoned with, that's what makes them Human, it's the Sociopaths who can't be reasoned with that you have to worry about.

Now these new awarenesses can become distractions if you are awed by your first experience of them and can hinder your practice. Look at them as a measurement of your Faith. I define Faith differently than that of the Christians. For me, Faith has to be generated (the silencing of the mind) and tested (the new phenomena you experience). Often when you experience this new awareness you are completely blown away that it happened, thinking that this is impossible to do, that is doubt. The longer you can hold this experience without questioning it or overreacting to it, is the strength of your Faith increasing.

It is said somewhere in the Bible, (now remember I consider Jesus as an early witch teaching others his Craft, but ignorant, fearful, and superstitious muggles who don't want to put in the time and practice to experience our inherent natural powers like to do shit the hard way and start shit) "If you would have Faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, "move from here to there", and it will be done, nothing will be impossible for you.

Many muggles claim to have Faith, but none can do miracles, therefore they have no Faith. What they do have is lots of belief. Belief and Faith are not the same thing.

#38 Guest_SorcererSupreme_*

Guest_SorcererSupreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

@Oroboros, What you said about the thought form type power of association strikes a giant chord with me. 

I had a 'kundalini' experience that was very intense. It was all at once, and very difficult but it changed me forever. I didn't ask to climb that ladder, but I did, and then the reward is another ladder.

Tailbone injury?