Photo
- - - - -

visuals during meditation- are they important?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

So some aspects of divination are my weak points, specifically meditation but im working on that slowly but surely. Ive had a handful of very successful meditations where i saw visuals. The last time it happened i was trying to make sense of what i envisioned, but many people i knew irl were telling me not to think about it and take it with a grain of salt. But in some ways i personally feel like taking their advice would defeat the purpose of meditation

#2 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:45 PM

I feel like visuals aren't important to everyone. Some people have a more creative mind that allows for ease of visuals and some have a more analytical mind. Some feel vs see. Meaning instead of seeing visuals they feel them. Sometimes subconsciously images and thoughts are brought to our active mind while it was wandering somewhere else.

As for if visuals are important, you have to decide that. What did you see, what did you feel while seeing it? Try to bring yourself back to that vision and really remember the details. Did you hear or sense or taste or feel anything while you saw the visions? Write it all out if that helps you. Perhaps meditate again on the visions you had to go even deeper?

#3 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:58 PM

The vision jolted me out of my meditative state.I feel as though it was important even though i do not understand what it meant. It was surely an odd experience in meditation for me.I think i will take your advice and meditate on it again and hopefully ill gain some clarity on it. I appreciate you taking the time to reply

#4 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

You're welcome! It could have jolted you from you not being used to your subconscious being so active ( I am a hypnotist I see this often) either way I think it is important enough to focus. You could even draw or write words to express what you saw and meditate on that. Staring with eyes open just above eye level on something until they are too tired and heavy to keep open is another way to allow your conscious mind to drift off. Focus on your breathing as well. Each breath in imagine it relaxing you and as you breath out visualize the image getting stronger in your mind.

Best of luck! Please update if comfortable! Interested to hear how it goes.

Edited by Kalinia, 06 March 2016 - 12:36 AM.

#5 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:46 AM

When this happened i was focused on the flame of a candle in front of me.. i certainly do agree I should document my experiences and work on my breathing. You make some very good suggestions ! You mentioned you were a hypnotist, i must say thats quite intriguing if i do say so myself! Im sure thats pretty exciting

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, I'd say that whatever jolts a person out of a solid meditation like that is something that should be addressed. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#7 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

Yah it is definitely interesting!

#8 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

Importance of visuals depends on the type of meditation and your intention going into meditation.

If you are practicing buddhist or Hindu type meditation then any visuals are considered distractions.  Just signs that you are going in the right direction, but also something that will slow you down and hold you back if you give your attention to them.  

If you are meditating to get insight or answers or meditating to facilitate spirit communication (like in shamanic journey), then the visuals might be more important.  

#9 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

I echo what Travsha says. Different mediation practices for different desires results. Here are the ones I am most familiar with:

1) I have a daily practice of meditation similar to a Buddhist or Hindu style where the goal is an empty mind. It's a discipline...a workout for the mind. Part of that exercise is learning how to set aside visuals and thoughts and ideas as they pop up. Identify them and set them aside. That daily practice helps me with the other, more "witchy" forms of meditation that I do.

2) If I'm meditating to set intention for a spell, or with a specific purpose, I want to drive my own visualization. The more detailed and "tangible" the better, because I'm trying to keep focus on where I am funneling a boatload of energy.

3) If I'm meditating with the purpose of recieving messages from spirits, I may begin with an intentional visualization but at a certain point I need to let go, returning to the empty state that I work to acheive with my daily practice of meditation. It is in those moments of openness that Visuals, or thoughts or words may pop into my head. Because of the practice of identifying thoughts as they come that I mentioned in my first form of meditation, I am able to distunguish the thoughts that are my own mind's wanderings from the thoughts that are guided by spirit. These situations are usually pretty intense, because I'm allowing myself to be open to another entity. I recommend learning how to get RID of entities and become comfortable with that before attempting to invite spirits to influence your thoughts.

4) hypnosis could be considered a form of deep meditation and makes plenty of use of visualization to help change subconscious reflexes and beliefs. The hypnotist will usual walk the client through the visualization using descriptive imagery. Very effective for making long lasting changes in your lifestyle and habits and thinking, especially if you feel like a part of you is resisting the change that you know you need. The more vivid your imagination the better

I'd mention astral traveling, lucid dreaming, hedge riding, as other forms of meditation that use the forming and recieving of visuals, but since I am only just now learning these things, I'll leave it to others to post on the details.

#10 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:22 AM

Well i was definitely looking to gain insight but at the time i didnt think i was doing any certain type of meditation per se...or that there were different ways of practicing meditation. I am no expert on the subject,i was (and still am) somewhat inexperienced and kind of thought it was all the same, so i just do what feels right at the time.... trying to get myself into a trance like state while staring at a candle is easiest for me.Up until that point i would only experience a tingly forehead. Anyway Ive gone out and purchased a little pocket notebook to jot down anything interesting that happens in the future . I appreciate all of you taking a moment to comment your opinions

#11 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

Hey there's no better way to start than that! :-) at least that was my method for meditation for years before I realized that meditation and trance states could go deeper and serve different purposes. Take things slow and enjoy the journey

#12 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:52 PM

I don't formally meditate as a rule. I don't even know how it's properly done. I don't see images with eyes shut, only when they are open. I draw...and that is very meditative, as is any kind of movement or an activity that requires focus but allows part of your mind to drift freely. 

When I see images, it is with eyes wide open. 

The candle is very good because you are looking 'through'. I know one lady who said she would have to look out a window in order to 'see'....I have a crystal ball but have never seen anything in it but I think the concept is the same, looking through, rather then at something.  

Images don't always make sense right away. Often they are symbolic, and time may pass before you understand the message. Over time, you can develop your own language of symbology.

#13 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:37 AM

I think the most important thing is you "felt it was important" that and the fact that it was strong enough to be disruptive to you meditation.  As someone else said, some people see things, some people, hear things, some people feel or get impressions.  In general I think developing which area comes naturally to you is far more important than trying to force an area that does't come natural to you.  It sounds as though this "just happened".  Usually, for me, the things that I was not trying to accomplish, but instead just seemed to come to me all on their own are very significant because those things often come from "other" something outside of myself.  Again, that's just me.  But, in short, if you are given an vision unbidden like that, yes probably important.  I would write down every detail and try to walk back through the process again and even if you don't understand right now- you probably will.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#14 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

That's a really good point, developing what comes naturally. I think that is incredibly beneficial and important to remember.

#15 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

Wow belle and Oroboros, that is some very sound advice. I could really resonate with your responses. I had the pleasure of briefly seeing a dear friend of mine last night. She also said i should keep meditating
and document anything interesting. She thinks i was trying to astral travel but she says that about alot my weird dreams too so i suspect shes just obsessed with that topic LOL

#16 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Well you are a witch, after all. I think there's something inherent in the folks that get called to this path that our souls are always trying to figure out how to get into the Other, even when our consciousness isn't ready to to accept it yet.

#17 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

R.G.- good point, I think thats true.

#18 birdiejoy83

birdiejoy83

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:49 PM

Yes RapunzelGnome, you hit the nail on the head there!! Im so thankful for all of you within this community💜💚💙

#19 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:51 PM

Lol birdie joy, you remind me of my reaction when I got here, "wait this is actually a group of sane, intelligent witches, on the internet, exchanges ideas in a thoughtful manner....whoooaa!, Happy Dance:)"

#20 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:00 AM

It is literally the only witchcraft forum that I've ever spent more than a day or two on.

Have you seen any other images lately? I wonder if you've ever had success with guided meditation? I could see that getting the creative juices flowing and your visualization skills being nurtured out.

Edited by Kalinia, 10 March 2016 - 02:00 AM.