• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

My crippling anxiety has put a halt to many things in my life. Witchcraft being one. An ill mind can really take its toll on you. I've been really working hard to combat this and get my life on track. Diet.. Exercise.. Meditation.. Reading...etc.all but actually practicing witchcraft.

Tonight I did my first spell in what feels like forever. I ground myself first and then did a simple candle spell to help aid in my healing of my thyroid.

It felt great to do. The candle was crackling like crazy which makes me appreciate the lore of that meaning your spirit guides are helping to aid in the spell, or speaking amongst each other.

I enjoyed using my ground sandalwood incense that I have not used yet. My intuition told me that it would work as an aid in the spell and as an offering. To who or what I am not sure. I am learning to listen to my intuition more and not question it. (an anxious mind makes you question everything)

Now I am curious, for anyone reading who would like to answer. When you do a spell do you ever add in a "safe guard" phrase? Something like stating yiur intention and mentioning "with no other harm or consequences to myself or other" or any other general term? Is this stupid or simple not needed, or even selfish or naive to even think it?

When I was finished I went outside and just stood in my grass barefoot and let go of any unneeded or unwanted energy. This has been my go to grounding lately.

Thank you for reading!

Edited by Kalinia, 05 March 2016 - 01:34 AM.

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, that's pretty standard.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

Definitely standard for me. Always be a specific as possible while using as few words as possible is my rule for casting.

#4 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

That makes Sense. I often chant/Whisper the same sentence or two and am very specific. This includes the safeguard I mentioned above.

#5 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:05 AM

I work in a law office. I add disclaimers and hold harmless agreements to everything, even casual dates, lol !! 

For me, one of the hardest yet most worth-it of the "getting back to basics" was working on relationships. Developing relationships with the unseen, deciding what I believed in, what I didn't,  what was real, and was fantasy, and then learning how to feel those relationships (since most invisible things don't sit at the table and have convos over coffee, lol). For me that was the hardest, slowing down enough, feeling enough, learning how to sense, how to respond, and how to work on relationships that operate in ways so alien to anything in the social/logical world that there is no experience written about on which to base them. So there was nothing to compare the experiences to, no instructions, on one to validate any of it. Kind of like if you can't imagine it, you can't recognize it. So there is nothing to base it on and nothing to compare it with. And it's slow and long and hard.... it's like siting still for hours and hours, and re-learning how to talk and how to hear... how to be social in a "culture" where you don't know the social rights and wrongs. How to interpret things spoken in ways one isn't familiar with. For me, that was the hardest (so far, lol), working on relationships.

M

#6 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

I really really relate to this post. That is a hard part for me as well. I am truly working on it though. Two days ago I was walking in the woods and just pouring my heart out while feeling energy all around me. I let myself open up so much to what was real vs analyzing if it were truly real. Alot of happy tears were shed

#7 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

I work in a law office. I add disclaimers and hold harmless agreements to everything, even casual dates, lol !! 

For me, one of the hardest yet most worth-it of the "getting back to basics" was working on relationships. Developing relationships with the unseen, deciding what I believed in, what I didn't,  what was real, and was fantasy, and then learning how to feel those relationships (since most invisible things don't sit at the table and have convos over coffee, lol). For me that was the hardest, slowing down enough, feeling enough, learning how to sense, how to respond, and how to work on relationships that operate in ways so alien to anything in the social/logical world that there is no experience written about on which to base them. So there was nothing to compare the experiences to, no instructions, on one to validate any of it. Kind of like if you can't imagine it, you can't recognize it. So there is nothing to base it on and nothing to compare it with. And it's slow and long and hard.... it's like siting still for hours and hours, and re-learning how to talk and how to hear... how to be social in a "culture" where you don't know the social rights and wrongs. How to interpret things spoken in ways one isn't familiar with. For me, that was the hardest (so far, lol), working on relationships.

M

This right here is so well-put. The relationship is so very important. & in regards to the original writer, I do believe many do a sort of "with harm to none seen or unseen", but I've spoken with those who do not. I forget half the time, honestly, but the intention is there - & I am not working with a plethora of entities mind you. At least, intentionally. Glad to open up.

Edited by moonthorn, 09 March 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:09 PM

I usually include a protective clause for those involved, depending on what else is included in the working. I am one who much prefers to do a spell to create harmony in a bad situation rather than do negative magic, but I do know there are times when it can be called for. In those times I would include protective clauses for others involved, but not the target because then it would be rather self-defeating. But to me, magic always effects others as well as the target (because no one lives in a vacuum), and magic disturbs things, so I do try and do the least amount of negative disturbing, lol. But that's just my personality, as Moonthorn said, others do not necessarily feel that way :-)

M

#9 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:42 PM

I actually feel that way as well Michele! Sometimes curses and such are needed. Absolutely. More often than not though, in my life I woek with creating harmony /healing/positive manipulations.

This may be due to the fact that I am an introvert who works for herself from home and cut out literally every negative influence in my life several years ago!

#10 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

Oh how I wish I could cut out every negative influence in my life too, Kalinia! Sorry not a very useful contribution but I had to express it somewhere as it's a situation that has trapped me completely- or so it feels. And you saying that has chimed with me.
Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#11 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:43 AM

Is there anything that I can do to help? 

#12 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for asking! I think I have to learn to deal with it myself. I'm working on my protection but it's hard. It's not someone I can remove from my life without opening another can of worms and damaging others very dear to me. Perhaps my work is to overcome this or perhaps it will go its own way.

It's partly why I'm here. You are so kind to ask, +1 from me!

**I actually feel that way as well Michele! Sometimes curses and such are needed. Absolutely. More often than not though, in my life I woek with creating harmony /healing/positive manipulations.**

I agree Kalinia and Michele - curses can be needed, though I've not done that yet. Too inexperienced, and concerned that I will get it wrong. I guess here you would have to be very very specific. I would worry I had forgotten to cover something and that the consequences would have a worse effect on me and mine than the actual curse did on the original target!  I feel more comfortable with positive manipulations.

Edited by Mistflower, 03 April 2016 - 09:39 AM.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#13 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

Sometimes I use a safety clause, sometimes I don't.  

I also feel that the longer a witch maintains relationship with the Things that do their bidding, the less such spoken clauses are necessary.  For example, if a witch has been doing business with a Thing for fifteen years and consistently use the same hand signal/body language/energy signature to communicate that the Intent be carried out without harm, why bother adding more speech to the Working?

#14 AuroraBaenSidhe

AuroraBaenSidhe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm invoking a specific energy I know and that knows me I don't feel it necessary. However, (I'm not much of a healer) so let's say I make a go of healing then I will use a 'safety' phrase such as 'by my will with harm to none surrounding.'

#15 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

"...an anxious mind makes you question everything." SO TRUE !!!

Adding a caveat to a spell is commonplace. Really good instinctual maneuvering, Kalinia.

@Michele: +1.

If I could vote 10 times, I would.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#16 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

Sometimes I use a safety clause, sometimes I don't.  

I also feel that the longer a witch maintains relationship with the Things that do their bidding, the less such spoken clauses are necessary.  For example, if a witch has been doing business with a Thing for fifteen years and consistently use the same hand signal/body language/energy signature to communicate that the Intent be carried out without harm, why bother adding more speech to the Working?

I agree I think who you work with especially overtime knows you and will go by your level or intensity of intent.... for example some spells can be quiet... repeated... written down to be reinforced. Learning this over time after using a safety clause they will know what to do and know that you wish no harm to others

However, if someone attacked and hurt your child for example you would be spitting fire with evil for that person, your words would be more specific to the person and what you want done to them and your whole intent and emotion would ramp up to the point of screaming your intent. Almost to the point of losing control, then your words could become dangerous to other people if you are not careful.

#17 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

Now I am curious, for anyone reading who would like to answer. When you do a spell do you ever add in a "safe guard" phrase? Something like stating yiur intention and mentioning "with no other harm or consequences to myself or other" or any other general term? Is this stupid or simple not needed, or even selfish or naive to even think it?

Yes, I usually spell out (lol pun) both the intended results of a working and the specified actions I don't want to see happening. I also always try to add a few words to make the spell time bound. The number of times I forget this is ridiculous and then I have to go back and rework it. But it really is worth adding a time frame to a working. Generally the more complex a consequence I am trying to pull off, the longer the time frame I give myself.  

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#18 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

Yes, I usually spell out (lol pun) both the intended results of a working and the specified actions I don't want to see happening. I also always try to add a few words to make the spell time bound. The number of times I forget this is ridiculous and then I have to go back and rework it. But it really is worth adding a time frame to a working. Generally the more complex a consequence I am trying to pull off, the longer the time frame I give myself.  

That's interesting Roanna, it's something that I have never done... put a time frame on it. I have always been the "wait and let the magic happen" type of person. Do you find that you always get the results that you want within that time frame?

#19 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

Most of my workings hash out via sigils...safeguards and protective clauses aren't so much of a thing with that sort of act, but depending on the purpose, I might instate one, anyway. Time restraints are fairly standard with them, though, and unless it's a working that I want to be active pretty continuously, I'm sure to set a time frame. Serves me well, in my experiences.

Tell me strange things.

#20 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:14 AM

+1 Michele

Now, allow me to play Devil's advocate and ask a possibly ridiculous question.  Being of the type of person who is too good at imagining every possible negative outcome, I have always included caveats such as these in the workings I have done. (Except the irresponsible, anger fueled, out of control hex here and there...)  

However, I have wondered this:  Assuming that most magic is driven by the will of the witch, is there any danger that by allowing the mind to linger on potential negative outcomes as we say these caveats, that we could actually be putting energy into creating the very negative outcome we are actively trying to avoid by concentrating on THAT during the working??  Granted, we are putting MORE energy into the goal of the spell than the caveats.  BUT, suppose it is the type of situation where the the thing that is hanging in the balance is already tipping precariously in the wrong direction and the bit of will that focused on a potential bad outcome was all it needed to teeter on over.  If this is ridiculous, apologies:).  Just wondering if this is possible.  

I suppose I always felt it vital to work a spell focused on the thing you want not the thing you are trying to prevent, which is why I wondered if this could be an issue.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe