11 replies to this topic

#1 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:40 PM

http://modrodnovery....dern-rodnovery/

This is a link to a pretty reliable source of Slav myth and craft. It is difficult to find modern info on Slavic history and ancient path without Neo-Nazi ideologies mixed in the writing. I hope this will be a good start for those interested!

To those that were discussing posting about Eastern European craft in the seekers forum, I am still writing articles to post in the public forum, but this should be quite a bit to digest while I get those going :)

#2 Symbiot

Symbiot

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:30 AM

I think the link is incorrect? I would be very interested in this! Maybe check the link and repost it?

#3 Symbiot

Symbiot

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:31 AM

It's in an Asian language I don't recognize

#4 NatureMama

NatureMama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:12 AM

Looks like the website is no longer there.  While doing a search I did come across this link, it might be helpful to you;  https://www.reddit.c...st_for_english/

I can't vouch for the quality of the linked information but it looks like a pretty extensive list so it may have some good stuff in there.  :)

#5 ReleaseTheBats

ReleaseTheBats

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:12 AM

Thank you for reposting a similar link!
I'm always looking for more Slavic information.
:)

“A witch ought never to be frightened in the darkest forest, Granny Weatherwax had once told her, because she should be sure in her soul that the most terrifying thing in the forest was her.”

― Terry Pratchett

#6 NatureMama

NatureMama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:30 AM

Glad it was useful!  :)

#7 Symbiot

Symbiot

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:48 AM

Interested in the history of this, what about nordic vs. slavic craft?  Is there a difference?\

Come to think of it I am not even sure if i am either nordic or slavic...

#8 ReleaseTheBats

ReleaseTheBats

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:27 AM

There is a difference although there are overlaps as well.
Such as Perun and Veles and their struggle, it's not unlike the struggles present with Loki and Thor. Especially as Perun is a thunder god and Veles is primarily an underworld god (he has agricultural associations, animals, forests etc. like most older underworld deities) and also trickery.
Part of the issue is that most of the specifics of European traditions are fragmented now, but they are different.

“A witch ought never to be frightened in the darkest forest, Granny Weatherwax had once told her, because she should be sure in her soul that the most terrifying thing in the forest was her.”

― Terry Pratchett

#9 ReleaseTheBats

ReleaseTheBats

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:44 AM

It's also quite alright to be interested in them even if you have no known ancestry.
Sometimes you can stumble upon links that make sense later, ancestry wise.
But depending on where you are in your path it's always a solid idea to see if you have any guides around that can help steer you in a direction.
While there is some reconstructionism happening with Slavic faiths, you will likely find more (as we have more records for them as well) for Nordic faiths.

While it isn't necessary to be reconstructionist by any means, both Heathenism and Astaru are fairly popular right now so there are more resources available if you're searching in that direction.

― Terry Pratchett

#10 JessicaB

JessicaB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:40 AM

I found the second link to be quite useful. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

#11 Symbiot

Symbiot

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for your reply bats,

I agree there is no problem with choosing any path that feels right regardless of ancestry, as long as you walk that path with authenticity.

Rodnovery is a term I have come across a few times while researching and your link discusses just that!

My grandpa is 95 years old and is the only family member with knowledge of our ancestry. I haven' spoke with him for years but I am getting an itch to get in touch with him and see if he can help me find out what I want to know.

Respect

#12 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:58 PM

I did the National Geographic DNA test and I found out that I am 42% Scandanavian, only 18% British and the rest European, from the North to the South.
Surprise! Now I know why I like Vikings!