• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

just ordered a used one for 4$ total on Amazon:)!

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#22 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

Also I want to go on record as saying Valerian tastes like cat piss.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#23 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

I hear mugwort and motherwort do great things for Menopause, as well

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#24 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:07 AM

I could never make it past step 1.  Life without Tully, coffee, and hot sauce would be an empty, hollow shell.

Mood swings: chaste tree berry, also known as vitex, is probably the reason why my teenagers and ex-husband are still alive, lol.  Edited to emphasize this, since others here seem to be having hormone-related emotional issues.  Really the stuff is amazing!

Black cohosh worked great for hot flashes for me.

I use ginko for memory, but if I may plug a specific product?  Herb Pharm's "Brain and Memory" is a godssend.

I made a women's tincture from chaste tree, red raspberry, mugwort, passion flower, and rose hips.  Motherwort would probably better than the mugwort, but I had like a LOT of mugwort. So. Much. Mugwort. 

I usually prefer to use mugwort externally for cramps.  It works great in a bath with motherwort and yarrow blossoms.

Edited by Broomflower, 02 March 2017 - 12:16 AM.

Eat your lawn.

#25 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:08 AM

Also I want to go on record as saying Valerian tastes like cat piss.

I would have said it tastes like filthy gym socks, but yeah, I guess I can kind of see that too.

Eat your lawn.

#26 AlyviaBlackthorne

AlyviaBlackthorne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

Like Rose said, Susun Weed has some excellent remedies for all things regarding women's health and menopause. Red Clover and Oatstraw infusions being 2 of her favourites. I'd suggest anyone going through the menopause googled Susuns remedies, even if you don't buy her book. I think she'd be a great help.

#27 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

I'm not particularly partial to Susan Weed. She uses medicine according to a semblance of the Doctrine of Signatures - which is just fine for sympathetic magic but NOT good for physical medicine.

RSKHFMY

#28 AlyssaBlackthorne

AlyssaBlackthorne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

@Ravenshaw I think your comment was a tad too broad. A lot of herbal medicines are scientifically backed. Just because some of the things one person uses might not be up to snuff doesn't mean all of them aren't.

#29 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

This is true. However her approach, being one which does not come from a medicinal standpoint, makes me disregard her as someone I would take actual medical advice from. She doesn't tease folk lore and the Doctrine of Signatures approach out of remedies which are credible - if you are not already familiar with what's lore and what's actual medicine, then you have no idea what you're getting into with Susan's remedies.

RSKHFMY

#30 AlyssaBlackthorne

AlyssaBlackthorne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

That may be true to some extent, however this post was specifically dealing with menopause and the aforementioned herbs; red clover and oatstraw in an infusion scientifically do help as they contain high amounts of phytoestrogen. 

#31 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hi, I just wanted to chime in, because I'm going through peri menopause and I accidentally discovered something that has been a massive help to me.

My children have chewable fish oil jube type chews. My partner had started taking a dose for himself, and offering me one, simply because they're  yummy :D Anyway, before this, I was having this problem right before dinner every afternoon/evening, where I would just become full of rage, as though I'd been injected with a drug that was causing it. I needed to be away from everyone, and was afraid I was going to lash out at some innocent person who looked sideways at me, sort of thing. I couldn't calm myself down, until the feeling passed naturally.

Anyway, I'd been agreeing to have these fish oil supplements daily for about a week, and then I looked back and realised I hadn't had those rageful episodes anymore! And, we've now run out, and while I don't get quite so much rage, I really did struggle last night with a public event around the large group of people. I thought I was going to start bawling like a baby in front of everyone, and that's not like me at all. I'm going to get more fish oil on Wednesday, and do my best to never run out of them again! I just thought I'd add this, in case it helps anyone else :)