Photo
- - - - -

Differences in self since beginning to practise?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

I was formerly very timid, last-one-in, first-one-out kind of person. Never spoke in public. All that has changed and I'm comfortable with myself, and the warts and dimples have balanced.

#22 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

Lots of changes cropped up over a pretty short stretch of time. I used to have a fear of death and the physical process of dying that was very...present? My thoughts would circle back to morbidity regularly, and I recall being fearful to the point where I wish I hadn't been born, because all living things die eventually. I suppose it sounds silly now, but that's where I was at. Witchcraft enables me to have some measure of influence over my life, and it's leading me to a spirituality that includes a far healthier concept of life and death. 

Tell me strange things.

#23 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:34 PM

Taking control, when you once felt powerless.

Be nice or go away!

#24 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

When you began practising in earnest (assuming you haven't been at it since childhood lol), did you notice any differences in how you feel?

-------------------------------------------

Practicing resulted in changes in many areas of my life. The changes in those areas changed my practicing. And around and around it goes.

I am unrecognizable from who I was. People gape at me. Some laugh. Some are concerned. Some are happy for me. Some are envious. Some tell me I'm going to get locked up, if I don't keep my mouth shut. But as Jaeson said, I am not who they say I am, so I don't put much stock in their reactions other than as confirmation that I did change.

Edited by JuniperBaby, 14 June 2016 - 02:05 PM.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#25 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:43 AM

First, I've learned that the things we say about ourselves and our bodies can and do happen. The spirit body is a reflection of the physical body. I've also learned more about energy and protecting myself from the prying of others. Not to be cheesy, but I've also learned to dare, to know, and to keep silent when necessary ;)
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#26 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

@w.o.m.- does this mean if I keep saying I'm skinny again, that will happen, cause I really am on board with that plan...;)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#27 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

I've heard it works. I quit smoking once that way (by saying I wasn't a smoker, not that I was skinny lol).
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#28 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:03 PM

I want to clarify that the things I say that people say will get me locked up have NOTHING to do with "witch" stuff. Nothing. It is just that...I AM different. My sense of "right" and "wrong" is different. My basic worldview changed.

I am silent in general so so so much more than I ever was. That has been noted by people, too, with suspicion and reproof.  Even without words, my body language and facial expressions are different, and I laugh at different things.

Spiritual practices change people. They change you beyond your spiritual practice. You can never say a single word about what you are up to and people will still know you changed.

Silence is funny. When silent, you observe more. You connect to people and your environment differently. And when you do talk, people pay a lot more attention to what you do say, so you need to be extra aware of what you are saying.

Aliis volat propriis.

#29 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

Yes, yes, to saying things about ourselves and having them happen.

That is what people are trying to tap into with affirmations.

It is a part of recovery for many victims to begin to declare who they are instead of others define them.

It is part of the "fake it till you make it" concept.

It can be a "spell".

I'm sure others know more far more about this than me. This puny and pathetic list just scratches the surface.

"I am...." is a powerful tool.

Aliis volat propriis.

#30 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

You know, I suppose there is some pretty profound truth there. My original comment was just joking. However, in all honesty I suppose I have considered affirmations silly "I'm beautiful, I'm successful, I'm smart, blah blah blah". My thought being some things you just are- and there is no changing it. The other things take WORK. Affirmations I have relegated (without really thinking it through) to lazy and not likely to actually do anything. But, giving a tiny amount of consideration it becomes obvious to me that is not fair or accurate. Especially, as one who has had their self image damaged by others- some affirmations to oppose those influences would probably be a damn good idea:).

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#31 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

One thing I have learned is that not everything silly people do is silly. Silly people do have an occasional good idea. Sometimes, though, that idea needs to be tweaked a bit, to scrape off the silly, and take advantage of the core foundation of it.

Aliis volat propriis.

#32 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

I have become more self-confident, more trusting of my instincts and less bothered by what others think. I came across a woman at a meeting whose every other word was to undermine me, but I couldn't care less. I could see clearly that her only issue was with herself, and that everyone present most likely could see that as well. A few years back, I might have responded to her but now I prefer to see someone hoisted by their own petard than get into one upmanship with people who harbour insecurities. I am sure that this transformation has come to be since I began practising more seriously, because practising has brought to me a kind of deeper inner awareness of who I am and why I am here. Those are the things that matter the most.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#33 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

I like the phrase "Hoisted by their own petard"...Is that an English phrase or is it a Mistflower phrase?

#34 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:58 AM

It's a Hamlet phrase~

Tell me strange things.

#35 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:06 AM

Thank you. I probably should have known that but I am not a big Shakespeare fan.

It is probably blasphemous to admit that.

#36 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

ssshhhh Bran I was going to say I thought of it ... ;)

#37 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

I looked up the word petard, so I know what it means.

But to me it sounds like a leotard, and I have this mental image. It is quite comical.

#38 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:04 PM

Thank you. I probably should have known that but I am not a big Shakespeare fan.

It is probably blasphemous to admit that.

Belle, you're not alone, I also don't like Shakespeare. And now to wait for my alma mater to come take my English degree away. 

#39 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:09 PM

Thank you Duchess!  I thought I was the only one, or rather the only one who would admit it.

#40 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Nothing wrong in not liking something you're "supposed" to like, in my opinion. I do like Shakespeare but there's plenty of stuff I don't like that everyone says is amazing, edifying, renowned, and so on and so forth...... (by the way- I didn't know the petard saying came from Shakespeare as it's another of his phrases that has entered the general language - so didn't intend to go all Shakespearian there)!