The Magicians

Jaesin

Has anyone been watching "The Magicians"?   IMDB gives the synopsis "After being recruited to a secretive academy, a group of students discover that the magic they read about as children is very real-and more dangerous than they ever imagined." 

Being a fan of picking apart folklore and fairy-tales, picking them apart to find their deeper meanings, I thought this show might be a hoot,and I gave it a try.  I have enjoyed if for pure entertainment purposes thus far, but have discovered that the "magic they read about as children" was based solely off of 1 book series. 

They have portrayed Ceremonial Magicians to be superior to the Witches (which they openly call hedge-witches), But I suppose I will see how this plays out.  Any watchers?

I liked the books better than the series so far- but there are so many things going on in the books.. would be hard to get it all on screen. The casting is pretty good though.

I never read the books.  I don't get into reading fiction much, but I do enjoy the TV series for fun!

Just watched the first two episodes. Definitely entertaining! Super cheesy, but in a way that makes you feel light hearted and enjoy watching IMO. I kept thinking " wow, I wish a magic school would pop up and take me in" lol ;)

The school in the show reminds me of a Hogwarts for the rejects of the magic world.  lol  Yes, ridiculously cheesy.  I cant say I don't have those thoughts as well!  But I look at it as Nature is the very magic school that has taken me in.  Just in a much less formal setting. 

• 2 months later...

Somehow I got 'hooked' on this show.

I enjoy the cast and think each actor plays their part well. ( Some remind me of Witches I actually know... so funny.. maybe that's why I got hooked)

Ahhh.... the allusive Hedge Witch definition !!!

Nice Twist on THAT in last 3 seconds of the Season 1 Finale.  I like it !!!

I'm looking forward to the return of Season 2 in 2017.

• 3 years later...

I've only just discovered this on Prime Video. It feels like a mix of shows/films - Harry Potter/X-Men/Charmed/Doctor Strange and then there's the blatant copy of storyline from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe!! I am enjoying it though, I've just started Season 3.

I have it recorded, it was okay... Sort of, but entertaining none the less. I liked the hand gestures when they did magic, really it was just for effects, but I will use hand gestures too. Not quite as elegantly as the Magicians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well that is weird, I was just refering to myself as being a Hedgehog.  Living under the radar and being a bit prickly.  I don't mind the title "Hedge Witch"

I will have to watch and see what Alice means about the Hedgehogs.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I must have missed the book burning!   But last night's episode when they all were in a time loop and it kept being ground hog day over and over again was cool.  They tried to move the Moon, but they broke it. and it was the end of the world.  Over and over again.  My main point of this story was the ritual that they used to move the moon was so cool.  I wonder how much practice they did to perfect the gestures.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

"

I was so impressed with how they made Fogg look 30 years younger!

"The moon is a wiley cunt" :lol:

I want to see the Fairies have something to do with saving Fillory.

Yes!

Yes!

and Yes, that would be great!