19 replies to this topic

#1 Jaesin

Jaesin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

Has anyone been watching "The Magicians"?   IMDB gives the synopsis "After being recruited to a secretive academy, a group of students discover that the magic they read about as children is very real-and more dangerous than they ever imagined." 

Being a fan of picking apart folklore and fairy-tales, picking them apart to find their deeper meanings, I thought this show might be a hoot,and I gave it a try.  I have enjoyed if for pure entertainment purposes thus far, but have discovered that the "magic they read about as children" was based solely off of 1 book series. 

They have portrayed Ceremonial Magicians to be superior to the Witches (which they openly call hedge-witches), But I suppose I will see how this plays out.  Any watchers?

Living the Old Ways in new days,

Jaesin Thorn FB

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

I saw the 1st episode.  When is it on?  I'll set the DVR.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

Oh I'll Def give this a watch!

#4 Jaesin

Jaesin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

I saw the 1st episode.  When is it on?  I'll set the DVR.

It is on Syfy, Monday's at 9 .  I usually watch it on demand (TWC) as I also watch X-Files which are on on Monday's.  There have been 5 episodes so far.

Jaesin Thorn FB

#5 Jaesin

Jaesin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:11 AM

Oh I'll Def give this a watch!

Let me know what you think when you catch up a bit.  It is on most "On Demand" channels.  It is on Syfy, Mondays at 9pm.  There have been 5 episodes so far.

Jaesin Thorn FB

#6 Edge

Edge

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

I've been watching it and enjoying it for the entertainment value, but it bothers me a bit how they misuse the term "hedge witches." Oh well.

#7 Jaesin

Jaesin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

I've been watching it and enjoying it for the entertainment value, but it bothers me a bit how they misuse the term "hedge witches." Oh well.

Thus, its the twisted ways of Hollywood I reckon!

Jaesin Thorn FB

#8 Edge

Edge

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

Thus, its the twisted ways of Hollywood I reckon!

I think the author of the book series did that too though. Ah well. As pet peeves go, it's not too bad and the show is entertaining.

#9 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

I liked the books better than the series so far- but there are so many things going on in the books.. would be hard to get it all on screen. The casting is pretty good though.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#10 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:53 AM

Just watched the first two episodes. Definitely entertaining! Super cheesy, but in a way that makes you feel light hearted and enjoy watching IMO. I kept thinking " wow, I wish a magic school would pop up and take me in" lol ;)

#11 Jaesin

Jaesin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

I liked the books better than the series so far- but there are so many things going on in the books.. would be hard to get it all on screen. The casting is pretty good though.

I never read the books.  I don't get into reading fiction much, but I do enjoy the TV series for fun!

Jaesin Thorn FB

#12 Jaesin

Jaesin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

Just watched the first two episodes. Definitely entertaining! Super cheesy, but in a way that makes you feel light hearted and enjoy watching IMO. I kept thinking " wow, I wish a magic school would pop up and take me in" lol ;)

The school in the show reminds me of a Hogwarts for the rejects of the magic world.  lol  Yes, ridiculously cheesy.  I cant say I don't have those thoughts as well!  But I look at it as Nature is the very magic school that has taken me in.  Just in a much less formal setting. 

Jaesin Thorn FB

#13 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

Somehow I got 'hooked' on this show.

I enjoy the cast and think each actor plays their part well. ( Some remind me of Witches I actually know... so funny.. maybe that's why I got hooked)

Ahhh.... the allusive Hedge Witch definition !!!

Nice Twist on THAT in last 3 seconds of the Season 1 Finale.  I like it !!!

I'm looking forward to the return of Season 2 in 2017.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#14 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

I've only just discovered this on Prime Video. It feels like a mix of shows/films - Harry Potter/X-Men/Charmed/Doctor Strange and then there's the blatant copy of storyline from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe!! I am enjoying it though, I've just started Season 3.

life is better with a biscuit

#15 The Muse

The Muse

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

I didn't mind the world, the magic, some of the storylines... but the characters really got under my skin. 

#16 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 494 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

I didn't mind the world, the magic, some of the storylines... but the characters really got under my skin. 

I know what you mean.. a bit too much highschool drama for my liking

life is better with a biscuit

#17 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:06 PM

I have it recorded, it was okay... Sort of, but entertaining none the less. I liked the hand gestures when they did magic, really it was just for effects, but I will use hand gestures too. Not quite as elegantly as the Magicians.

#18 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:38 PM

I'm starting to repeat myself... not a good sign. Read the books by Lev Grossman; they're much better!

Edited by Belwenda, 25 October 2019 - 11:40 PM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#19 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:07 PM

I actually think this is one of the few shows that might be outdoing the books. Which is a fairly controversial thing to say I’m sure. But the cast is so good, and the humor is better in the show as well.

#20 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:12 PM

Not a TV or Movie person, with rare exceptions, and The Magicians is one of them. I feel like the artists involved with the show really "get it," and besides, the production values are excellent. The show does a great job of exploring the myriad of different "types" of practitioners, and showing the good, bad, and ugly. I really appreciated how the Fairies and the Fairy Queen are depicted in the show, in the sense of the dangers of dealing with them, yet at the same time, their to-the-death adherence to their word. So many show elements have had me screaming (in my head) "yes! finally! widespread media that isn't patronizing!" I also appreciate how the Library is shown to require "commitment beyond death" (I forget the exact contract). As a bookish person myself, I can attest to that, no matter what one does, there is no way of leaving the Library...