Photo
- - - - -

What is one bit of major advice you would give someone who is starting a traditional path

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:27 AM

This was inspired by the " what advice would you give your novice self" post

What one major advice would you give to someone who is starting on a traditional path?  

( I myself personally am not just starting out, but I feel like I am. I have been searching and searching for my true path, and just haven't found what is right for me yet , although I have practiced various practices) 

My one bit of advice for someone just starting out, is to actually practice what you read. Reading is GREAT, learning is amazing and powerful, but its just that, until you start practicing. 

#2 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:24 AM

Life's cards can deal 50/50.  Beautiful rainbows and fluffy bunnies on one hand and on the other hand it's things that eat rainbows and bunnies...and you should always protect yourself from both because even the most beautiful flowers can be the most toxic.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#3 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

Make contact with your ancestors!

Heed advice, but take all things with a grain of salt.  There are many iterations of traditional, and many of us forge our own instead of following some major trads (sometimes crazy) path. 

Guess that's two...two cents!   :D

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#4 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

My advice would be to skip the books and get a teacher if possible.  A teacher isnt necessary, but is extremely valuable.  I have learned little from books that I actually use....  

#5 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Travsha - any advice on finding a teacher?

#6 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

@Kalinia,
I say make it known to whatever spirits you work with, ancestors, whomever you trust that you want/need a teacher. I did that and a mentor type relationship developed out of nowhere not too long after. I have read A LOT, yet the mentor relationship taught me FAR MORE really useful information in a really short time than all the years of reading I had done. My two cents- I know that question wasn't for me:).

Edited by Oroboros, 16 February 2016 - 09:34 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#7 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:52 PM

Great advice Thanks!

#8 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:30 AM

Release the notion of the binary (black-white, "masculine"-"feminine", for-against, etc)

While books are nice (& perhaps you may come to grow quite a collection), I would advise that one do not begin the process with purchasing 20 books on Amazon & stirring in that crock pot. Be with the Unseen more than the books - especially in the beginning. 

@Kalinia,
I say make it known to whatever spirits you work with, ancestors, whomever you trust that you want/need a teacher. I did that and a mentor type relationship developed out of nowhere not too long after. I have read A LOT, yet the mentor relationship taught me FAR MORE really useful information in a really short time than all the years of reading I had done. My two cents- I know that question wasn't for me:).

Also, this right here, by far!

Let go of what you think is for you, & listen to what the Unseen gives to you. etc etc. Just a few but I wouldn't want to throw too much at someone "new to it all" right away. We all learn differently, do things differently, etc.. These would only be suggestions

Edited by moonthorn, 17 February 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#9 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

Travsha - any advice on finding a teacher?

Someone else already said put the intention out there and make it known you want a teacher...  That is the first step.

Some say that when the student is ready the teacher appears....  I think a more accurate saying is that when the student is ready they find a teacher.  If you really want something you will find it somehow, and the teacher wont know the student is ready till the student puts in the effort to find them usually.

I never learned much from classes on these subjects - I usually find people teaching classes treat things more as a business and are more focused on "quick fix recipes" that dont really work much...  I think supporting your teacher and paying them is good, but I prefer a more "apprenticeship" type program to someone who teaches workshops and classes.

A good starting point is thinking about which tradition you want to study...  There are many different available traditions, and if you pick one or two to focus on then that might help you narrow down where to start searching.  I personally found that I had to travel to find my best teachers - there are some helpful people where I live, but they couldnt take me as deep as I wanted to go so I ended up traveling a bit for much of my learning.  

#10 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

If you practise it and it works, record it. I am the proud owner of a book of shadows that dates back several generations. It's a wonderful reference guide and a great piece of history. You have the privilege of starting such a book. Your book, your path.

On a lighter note, there's nothing worse than trying something new, applauding your own success, and then not being able to remember exactly what it was you used/did etc!

Be nice or go away!

#11 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

Great advice!

#12 LostInTheMatrix

LostInTheMatrix

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:04 AM

My advice is to take things slow. It's exciting to start new things, but jumping right into whatever it is can be dangerous without knowing what you're doing. Read, ask questions, whatever you have to do to make sure that you won't do something you'll regret.

On the flip side, if you DO make a mistake (which many starting out do), make sure you learn from it lol.

#13 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:45 AM

I think this is crucial advice! Starting slow, and learning protection/safety measures first. Thinking and thinking some more before doing something you could regret. 

#14 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:42 AM

I would advise that someone just starting out ask themselves to define their personal boundaries before selecting a tradition or choosing to engage in a cultural/familial tradition.  "In order to manifest my intentions, am I willing commit to 1) a Path that requires me to sacrifice a degree of spiritual autonomy to achieve my desires, or 2) a Path that demands more time and energy yet preserves spiritual sovereignty?"  Decisions can (and sometimes should) be later changed upon introspection and research, of course- but it's one of those things that is going to come up anyway on virtually any Path and will have to be decided upon sooner or later.

#15 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

The advice that I would give, and I often give (uselessly) is: don't expect to find a ready-made 'path' that is 'authentic' and that fits you perfectly. 
There's no such a thing. Witchcraft is an experiential path: trust you guts first, then trust the spirits that work with you, then trust people who've been doing this longer than you have. 

Read whatever comes through your hands, then close the books go out and do things your ways. 
Never believe something is going to work because it's presented as 'traditional', question everything. Be suspicious of everything that claims to be 'ancient'. When asking 'why is this done so?' the reply you get is 'because it's always been so', you're probably dealing with someone who's just looking for influence over people. If something doesn't feel right to you, then probably it's not right for you. Never trust those who seek followers, but always learn from other practitioners and 'steal' what's useful. 

Don't get in stuck in your beliefs, they will change as you go along the way. 

Don't be afraid to try stuff just because it's not 'traditional', you may be missing out on cool things. 

Edited by Aria, 21 February 2016 - 09:48 AM.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#16 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

Take advantage of learning opportunities when they are presented. Experimenting is ok, just be careful with what/ who you call .... oh and  and practice, practice, practice. :cauldron:

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#17 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

My advice is to meditate before doing spells. Magick is very real. Better to really think (and feel!) Things through before doing a spell than get yourself in trouble or regret it alltogether. Have your protection in place at all times.
Secondly, give daily offerings to your ancestors to keep you protected and grounded to your roots.
And, lastly, go into nature, observe nature, she will speak to you.

Edited by Nera, 30 March 2016 - 09:01 PM.

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#18 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Pay attention to what is going on around you. When you're starting on any path, you are sending out energy that lets the world around you know that you are trying to listen to what nature has to say. Make note of everything it may be saying. Sometimes, you may misinterpret something. Other times, you may not notice something. Its like learning a language by immersion; you have to learn to listen in order to be able to understand.

#19 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

I tend to tell someone starting out to put their craft to learning them selves, inside, outside, upside down, and tied into every knot. Then stare your self in the eye without a twinge. I find being that comfortable makes it hard to go wrong.

#20 Watersiren

Watersiren

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:23 PM

Know when to step away and withdraw, and when to push forwards through fear of the unknown.

Sometimes it is wiser to leave a door closed when you are not ready yet than to throw it open and not be able to deal with the consequences.