I saw this recently and thought it was absolutely AMAZING

#23 venusaversa

venusaversa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

I just rented this movie from a Redbox last night. Am going to watch it after I finish working in my garden. Very excited to see it. I love any movie and show about witchcraft.

#24 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

Well that does it, I'm going to have to give it a watch. I was going to anyway eventually, but for sure now, haha.

#25 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:27 AM

Ok ok, I'll rent it tonight

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#26 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

The only part I was squeamish about (being a mother with two toddlers and also being pregnant) was the part with the baby. I remember saying to my husband, "Oh, please let that be red berries... Please be red berries!" Haha. Even with that, I loved the film, it was great. It doesn't really say what happened to the twins though, does it? I assume the witch ate them, too?

#27 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

The only part I was squeamish about (being a mother with two toddlers and also being pregnant) was the part with the baby. I remember saying to my husband, "Oh, please let that be red berries... Please be red berries!" Haha. Even with that, I loved the film, it was great. It doesn't really say what happened to the twins though, does it? I assume the witch ate them, too?

Notice when the main character is in the barn with the twins - she asks the daughter "Are you a witch?" & the girl answers with silence. The boy responds "Are you?". (I forget his exact words but it was basically that. INTERESTING) 

There are a few moments like this in the movie that could be read into/theorized/ etc..

Edited by moonthorn, 03 August 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#28 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:34 PM

Sorry for any typos as I'm responding from my phone.

I was doing a little searching on the internet of Black Phillip's quote, "wouldst thou like to live deliciously?" Because I was thinking... You have these women, living in tiny huts out in the woods, I don't know that I would call that "living deliciously", you know? Where is the butter for these women? Where are the new pretty dresses, of which he promised to Thomasin? Does he expect them to see the world through hedge riding, or will he make it so they can actually travel the world and see and experience far off lands and cultures? I don't know that what he's promising to Thomasin is actually within his power to give (levitation or no levitation); and I feel that maybe Thomasin is being duped into living in a tiny hut in the woods in service to Black Phillip.

In any case, it's a fascinating movie, and I would love to see a sequel wherewe can see Thomasin come into her power and actually having and doing the things that Black Phillip promised her.

While searching the net, I came across this article that talks about the movie and some of the history of witchcraft. The last part, about witches anointing their brooms with hallucogenic potions and then "riding" them in order to take the drug through the genitals was pretty new on me. If thats true, I will never be able to look at a cartoon witch on a broomstick in the same way again, lol.

#29 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:37 PM

And I forgot the link to the article! I am not sure how to edit from my phone, so I l'll just leave this here.

http://lynncinnamon.com/2016/02/6261/

#30 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:54 AM

I saw it and I adored it. My friend didn't like it (she was expecting a gore heavy flick). I did hide my eyes during the baby scene. I can see how the Xtian stuff would bother some people, but it didn't bother me.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#31 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

I have recently watched this film on 123 movies in HD and I loved it. It is a bit slow but it did show the misguided strength and belief in god that he will protect against all evil in the father character.....and also showed the different ways that energy can work and influence I thought the last 20 minutes was outstanding.

#32 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:18 AM

I watched this the other day, and was blown away. It's a beautifully crafted film. As far as the Christian themes - they're kind of integral to what the film is. Y ou really have to view it as a period piece - it's horror as seen through the eyes of 17th century Calvinists. 

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own