Sign in to follow this  
witchywolf

Mugwort

I just got seeds and was wondering if I should seed them and keep the seedlings indoors till spring or plant the seed in fall and wait? Any advice to the gardeners here. 

Holdasown, I'm not sure what your weather is like, but I've had good luck with it indoors all winter. Then I move it out in spring. Its been pretty hardy and survived even when other hardy plants failed around it. I'm hoping I finely have a patch into make the winters out side this year. With our winters here it seems it needs to be well established before things get rough. At least that's how is been for me.

You know I just look at your location on your profile. I'd bet if you start some now outdoors it

could likely come back for you in spring. If your in doubt having a safety in a pot in the house never hurts, but their pretty easy going.

Holdasown, I'm not sure what your weather is like, but I've had good luck with it indoors all winter. Then I move it out in spring. Its been pretty hardy and survived even when other hardy plants failed around it. I'm hoping I finely have a patch into make the winters out side this year. With our winters here it seems it needs to be well established before things get rough. At least that's how is been for me.

You know I just look at your location on your profile. I'd bet if you start some now outdoors it

could likely come back for you in spring. If your in doubt having a safety in a pot in the house never hurts, but their pretty easy going.

I live in WV and wondered if I put the seed in late fall if they would live to spring underground but maybe the planters would be better and then plant the seedlings in Spring.  

Mugwort is a pretty tolerant plant, once it's established. If you plant it in late fall, it's likely you'll freeze/kill the seeds. I'd start them indoors, then move them outdoors after the threat of frost has passed. That would give them an entire growing season to get established wherever you decide their permanent home is going to be before winter hits again. Or wait until the threat of frost has passed & plant them outdoors.

We're not as cold as you but we do get below freezing with snow staying for 4-5 days when it hits hard. Mine looks soooo sad in the winter months but perks right back up in spring. I planted them in the garden in the spring about 6 years ago.

Thank you Mountain Witch. That be the safe bet and shes the expert. I'd bow to her wisdom.

I'm at the other end of these hills, a good ways north. Mine disappears after the first week or so of snow and I don't see it till spring. However, you go about it if your winters stay rough or your in one of your wonderful valleys the cold lays in. Then I'd look for a tolerably dry spot that gets good sun. That's what mine seems to like to make happily through the year.

Thanks. I am actually debating on doing a whole lot of plants in the basement with a sun lamp. I think the pots are my best bet.

Edited by Holdasown

Sign in to follow this