Sign in to follow this  
witchywolf

Mugwort

Lol, I would like to thank everyone involved in this topic..

before.. i only burned mugwort as an incense blend.. then.. after reading this page.. i tried smoking it a week or two ago... holy. Fucking. Shit.

I used to get sleep paralysis, which used to be a fucking nightmare, until I taught myself to control it and turn it into lucid dreaming and just.. float around and get to hallucinate without taking illegal drugs.... but that only happens on days when I don’t take ANY substances... at all... so lets just say.. it was a rare occurance... so... I started smoking mugwort... and BAM!

Vivid dreams.. Lucid dreams... no nightmares... I actually look forward to sleeping now...

so... my adderall kicked in.. and now im on a rampage of looking up all the different herbs that have cool smoking effects...

.... even started new pages in my grimoire (I write everything in this ‘smart’ notebook.. which you take a picture and it goes to designated cloud accounts... and when you fill it up.. you literally microwave it.. and it erases.. and if its valuable info or works really well.. I put it into my Evil Dead Necronomicon replica notebook.. which is titled BOOK OF THE DAMNED... to keep my christian father away from it.. XD)

ANYYYWHO.. anybody got any good sites or sources for further research? I tried google.. but a bunch of stuff is contradicting each other... Also, apologies if my post should be a seperate thread...

Also.. I bought some mugwort tea bags.. which In hindsight.. i should have just bought empty teabags and filled them myself.. but wasn’t sure of how much to put in each one...

*end of tangent..

Lol, I would like to thank everyone involved in this topic..

before.. i only burned mugwort as an incense blend.. then.. after reading this page.. i tried smoking it a week or two ago... holy. Fucking. Shit.

I used to get sleep paralysis, which used to be a fucking nightmare, until I taught myself to control it and turn it into lucid dreaming and just.. float around and get to hallucinate without taking illegal drugs.... but that only happens on days when I don’t take ANY substances... at all... so lets just say.. it was a rare occurance... so... I started smoking mugwort... and BAM!

Vivid dreams.. Lucid dreams... no nightmares... I actually look forward to sleeping now...

so... my adderall kicked in.. and now im on a rampage of looking up all the different herbs that have cool smoking effects...

.... even started new pages in my grimoire (I write everything in this ‘smart’ notebook.. which you take a picture and it goes to designated cloud accounts... and when you fill it up.. you literally microwave it.. and it erases.. and if its valuable info or works really well.. I put it into my Evil Dead Necronomicon replica notebook.. which is titled BOOK OF THE DAMNED... to keep my christian father away from it.. XD)

ANYYYWHO.. anybody got any good sites or sources for further research? I tried google.. but a bunch of stuff is contradicting each other... Also, apologies if my post should be a seperate thread...

Also.. I bought some mugwort tea bags.. which In hindsight.. i should have just bought empty teabags and filled them myself.. but wasn’t sure of how much to put in each one...

*end of tangent..

Running anything you come across through Erowid would be a good first step. But in many cases should only be considered a starting point, not the final word.

Ghost and others - how does it compare smoking vs drinking the tea?

I'm cautious about smoking (lots of lung cancer deaths in the family) and quit smoking about ten years ago. Do you get good results with mugwort tea?

I'm cautious about smoking (lots of lung cancer deaths in the family) and quit smoking about ten years ago. Do you get good results with mugwort tea?

Hey sorry for the late response!

So here’s what I think after two weeks of it and that would be that I felt more effect from mug when smoking it than I do drinking it BUT after smoking for a short ten years And then having not smoked in 8yrs I just hate the taste it leaves in my mouth.....so I decided I wasn’t going to smoke it anymore but sadly I just don’t feel the same resualts. Maybe I need to use more mug???

Anyways hope that answers your question???:)

Running anything you come across through Erowid would be a good first step. But in many cases should only be considered a starting point, not the final word.

Lol, yeah... ive been looking them up and looking at the different herb’s ‘difficult experiences’... then if it doesnt look like I would instantly die... or have my dick fall off.. then i proceed with more research XD

Lol, yeah... ive been looking them up and looking at the different herb’s ‘difficult experiences’... then if it doesnt look like I would instantly die... or have my dick fall off.. then i proceed with more research XD

Lol!!! Don’t lose the dick!!!

• Upvote 1

The tea is alright... maybe I didn’t leave the bag in long enough.. (it was literally the first time ive made tea... lol.. besides Kratom.. but with that I just pour powder in water and down it as fast as I can.. because kratom tastes like sin.. but is the best herbal painkiller ive ever come across...) so with the mugwort tea i left the bag in for like 20 minutes and added some stuff to make it taste better.. wasnt all that bad.. I felt some effects.. not as strong as I felt when smoked...

But yeah, I totally get why you are hesitant on smoking things.. before I bought a pipe (which was just recently) I burned it on a charcoal disc and inhaled... really close.. for a looong time... because I’m all kinds of stupid... especially when inhaling burning charcoal is said to be a cancer risk...

i also gave up smoking.. I think back in 2011.. switched to vaping.. but vaping is still too new for concrete evidence of causing cancer... all I know is that its healthier than smoking and the eliquid I make tastes delicious... and my will is weak... so props on actually quitting..

Tl;dr version- Felt SOME effects from tea.. maybe didn’t make it right... not as strong as smoking it (for me at least).. but I wouldn’t risk it if your worried about cancer.. if one cup didnt do it for you.. try two..

You could try a tincture, or even just putting a bit of booze in your tea. Alcohol will increase the effects.

There are also vaporizers that take plant matter. Basically just sucks all the oils and good stuff out. As Pazuzu said, not really sure yet how good it is for your lungs, but reasonably sure it is better then smoking.

Then there are ointments. Fairly simple to make and probably less toxic to the liver, I find this a nice way to use before bed.

Thanks guys for the tips. Sol great idea about tincture and ointment - have you a rough recipe for an ointment? It's the dosage / ratios really I'm interested in as have never used it.

Boy do I wish I had paid more attention in chemistry class now :D

So after months of 'shit or get off the pot' - I've finally ordered some mugwort :) I'll try it as tea, then tincture and if all else fails I'll have a smoke of it :)

great!

let us know what you think after using it those few different ways would ya?

GW-

Will do :) It arrived today. Going to make a very weak tea tonight just to get a taste for it. Tomorrow I might make a herb bag for under my pillow but am a bit lairy of doing too much with it over the next few days. Call it the Samhain squeamies! ;)

Thanks guys for the tips. Sol great idea about tincture and ointment - have you a rough recipe for an ointment? It's the dosage / ratios really I'm interested in as have never used it.

Boy do I wish I had paid more attention in chemistry class now :D

Ya, see I can't really give you dosages and ratios as there is no way to do that safely and it is not recommended. Basically, you need to cautiously experiment until you find what works for you. The dose that works for you will not necessarily work for me and would be too much for another, you know what I mean?

Mugwort is a fairly safe and gentle plant, so careful experimentation should be fine. One thing to be aware of though, thujone ( an active chemical compound found in wormwood and mugwort)  will build up in your system. It is not like cannabis, and should not be used on a frequent basis. Make it a special occasion once a month or something.

Basic recipe for ointment;

-dry plant material; 

you will need to infuse the plant material in a carrier oil. (sweet almond, olive, coconut or whatever oil you prefer)

Either place the plant material in oil and leave it in there for a few weeks or to speed it up you could heat it gently for an hour or so, be sure not to let it boil or overheat though.

-strain the plant material from the oil, cheesecloth works well for this.

-heat the oil gently once again and add some beeswax until it is the consistency you want.

Edited by Solanaceae

Great, thanks for that!

I'm confused about the toxicity thing as everything on here is quite cautious but other sites seem to glibly recommend drinking the tea two or three times a day. Some say only for 6 days, others don't seem to set a limit at all.

Would you say least to most toxic is: ointment, tea, tincture, incense, direct smoking?

When mixed with alcohol, as in an alcohol-based tincture, the liver toxicity is increased. Aside from that, it would have to do with how much you use.

If you are not directly inhaling the incense, that would be less toxic. Sleeping with it under your pillow is less toxic still.

I will add a note here for anyone reading this, Do not use if pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding. 

Mugwort and wormwood are known abortifacients.  

• Upvote 1

Ya, see I can't really give you dosages and ratios as there is no way to do that safely and it is not recommended. Basically, you need to cautiously experiment until you find what works for you. The dose that works for you will not necessarily work for me and would be too much for another, you know what I mean?

Mugwort is a fairly safe and gentle plant, so careful experimentation should be fine. One thing to be aware of though, thujone ( an active chemical compound found in wormwood and mugwort) will build up in your system. It is not like cannabis, and should not be used on a frequent basis. Make it a special occasion once a month or something.

Basic recipe for ointment;

-dry plant material;

you will need to infuse the plant material in a carrier oil. (sweet almond, olive, coconut or whatever oil you prefer)

Either place the plant material in oil and leave it in there for a few weeks or to speed it up you could heat it gently for an hour or so, be sure not to let it boil or overheat though.

-strain the plant material from the oil, cheesecloth works well for this.

-heat the oil gently once again and add some beeswax until it is the consistency you want.

Thank you for this!

Well had some tea. Only had half a mug but it made me quite tranquil and spacey. I planned to lie down and doze but my tongue and throat got a bit prickly and I was concerned I might be allergic! Wearing off now but I'm still sleepy and have a mild headache. Might go make a drum journey and see if there's any difference.

For those checking out mugwort for the first time, or if you are like me and use herbs slowly: mugwort is often used as a seasoning, you can purchase in small amounts in many health food stores and most asian super markets. 

I find that tea is great for dreaming, and smoking is good for trance work. I don't know why, I just know that's how I've worked with her previously and it seems to be good that way.

Great thread!

• Upvote 1

Trying mugwort tea again. It gives me a really dry feeling in my throat and mouth. Anyone else get this? Im not sure if I get a mild allergic reaction to it. No big effect either just mildly spacy and chilled.

I think I'm pretty sensitive to lots of substances including this one :( Even caffeine (gives me palpitations) and especially morphine (prescribed after surgery)- makes me vomit like crazy. Fine with cannabis and alcohol.

And getting the mild headache now too. Urgh. This lady doesn't like me!

I never get a scratchy throat, ya I would be careful then in case you are allergic.

The effect is usually quite mild, to the extent that some people don't even notice one, but if you use just before bed, when doing trancework, meditation or scrying you will likely see the difference it makes. Dreams are her major thing.

The headaches are very common with mugwort use though unfortunately. I find that is less when I use an ointment or oil.

Just don't put it on your temples or forehead.

Sign in to follow this