Sign in to follow this  
witchywolf

Mugwort

Just a quick update: The mugwort soda came out really well. It's pretty sweet, but you can definitely taste the mugwort. I'll try drinking a glass of it before bed to-night to see if it has any effect on dreams. I've attached a picture with the jar of the syrup on the right, and a glass of the syrup added to carbonated water to make soda on the left. 

post-3980-0-85327700-1500675890_thumb.jpg

Yeah, mugwort during pregnancy is an incredibly bad idea; it was used in the past as an herbal abortifacient. I have heard of it being used at the end of a pregnancy to induce labor, though I can't say how safe that is. I hope everything worked out ok for NamedForTheMoon :/

It's funny that this thread was revived at this point in time, and that I just stumbled upon it now, because just an hour or two ago I was making a mugwort syrup. I basically followed the steps for making a simple syrup, but with mugwort tea (steeped for an hour) instead of regular water. I'm letting it cool overnight, and to-morrow I'll get some carbonated water and make soda with it. 

This also comes at a time that I've been working with Mugwort a lot, including in class in the folk magic intensive that I'm taking. She's long been an ally for me, though. It's true, as others have said, that her affects can be very subtle, but when they're not subtle - wow. Definitely great for trancework, dreams, etc, as others have mentioned. I usually take it as a tea these days, or burn some as incense, but I have in the past smoked it; when I first discovered it, at the age of 18, I used to smoke it combined with cannabis (which I used habitually in those days anyway), and the effects were pretty psychedelic. Now that intensity usually comes out only in dreams and trance. 

I'm planning on making some mugwort wine soon as well. Anyone have any advice on that? I was thinking of using port (just because I'm not crazy about most wine, but I enjoy port). Ratios, experiences, dosages, etc? 

Not sure about wine, but you can use the mugwort syrup to make a witchy cocktail! I might brew some up myself  :D

Looks great Yex. Did it have any effect on the dreams?

I definitely had a lot of dreams that night, but what was more profound - and I find is a common effect of mugwort - was that as I was drifting off, my hypnagogic imagery was so vivid, and stunningly psychedelic, and I was able to remember a lot of it the next day. 

Edit: I also just drank a lot of it over the course of that day, and I should note that there was a familiar mugworty stoned feeling. 

Edited by Yex
  • Upvote 1

I have grown and used grand wormwood (artemissia absinthum) as tincture and tea for several years.

This thread reminded me of my hunt for mugwort plants to grow - and as it happens that were available for the first time that I'm aware of!

I look forward to learning to grow, use and interact with this plant teacher.

Yex are you in the UK? Would love to know a really reputable online seller to try this herb.

No, sorry, I'm in the US, and I couldn't give you any recommendations on online sellers, as I get mine from a local apothecary. 

I love Mugwort and use it all the time. It's my White Sage substitute for smoke cleansing and I drink it tea form when I am looking for an answer in dreams. I also make an incense with Mugwort, Yarrow and Lemongrass I burn before divination. The first time I mixed Mugwort and Yarrow they gave off a strong energy. They like each other is the best way to put it. Like best girl friends is the easiest way to describe it so in instances where you use Mugwort for divination, dreams or energy cleansing I would suggest using Yarrow as long as you are not allergic. I get my herbs from two local shops when I can but when I can't I use 13 Moons. 

Lmao... disregard... im retarded.. I meant Etsy...

I had.. a lot to drink last night XD

:roflhard:

Finally going on days off tomorrow.

planning to stop our local apothecary in the morning to pick up some Mugwort and Damiana and I will do some looking around as well but ya'll wouldn't happen to know if either of these can make a guy piss hot on a drug test? 

I see absolutely no reason why either of those would show up in UA.  None of those compounds are tested for. 

I have heard stories about some herbal supplements perhaps causing false positives, but I cannot say anything as to the truth of that and I would guess that those are substances with compounds similar to those they do test for.

Okay thanks yeah I wasn't sure.

Ill talk to the gals at the shop when I go in and see what they say as well.

I am looking forward to trying this out. Gotta find my old pipe haha which interestingly enough my sister got me from a African witch doctor when she was "doing the lords work" lol a grip of years back.

Picked some mugwort up yesterday and smoked a little bit this morning.

Was very smooth and light if that makes since.

Looking forward to trying it in a tea as well.

Gonna make a smoking blend of it with yarrow and Damiana.

GhostAndTheWolf, I have had very interesting results from smoking mugwort before bed. No effort falling asleep whatsoever, and dreams like you wouldn't believe...some were more than dreams, if you catch my drift. I've also used it once or twice now as an aid for hedge work and it definitely helped.

Hey anyone have any tips on soaking these herbs so they are not burning off so fast when smoking them?

I dabbled some water on them and that seems to kinda help but I was just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on it.

Id like to make it more along the lines of smoking tobacco leaf.

Hey anyone have any tips on soaking these herbs so they are not burning off so fast when smoking them?

I dabbled some water on them and that seems to kinda help but I was just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on it.

Id like to make it more along the lines of smoking tobacco leaf.

Add a sugary liquid. I like using things like apple juice, cider, a weak booze, etc. Dampen the mixture and let it dry until it sticks together when pinched but isn't in danger of molding easily. Also resinous compounds help, like benzoin, copal, pine resin, etc.

Cool thanks RS.

I've flavored my own tobacco in the past and thought it'd be the same but I wasn't sure.

The cider sounds good.

I have essential oils and in that I have a handful of tree resins but it's said that it's unsafe to burn EO's.

Add a sugary liquid. I like using things like apple juice, cider, a weak booze, etc. Dampen the mixture and let it dry until it sticks together when pinched but isn't in danger of molding easily. Also resinous compounds help, like benzoin, copal, pine resin, etc.

What about honey? I'm just curious, I've never tried to add anything to a smoke able herb but I also have the same issue with overly dry herbs.

Sign in to follow this