70 replies to this topic

#61 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:08 AM

And Frozen thanks for the Erowid link - what a great site!

No probs. PM me if you need help finding more in depth sources of information.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#62 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks guys for the tips. Sol great idea about tincture and ointment - have you a rough recipe for an ointment? It's the dosage / ratios really I'm interested in as have never used it.

Boy do I wish I had paid more attention in chemistry class now :D

#63 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

So after months of 'shit or get off the pot' - I've finally ordered some mugwort :) I'll try it as tea, then tincture and if all else fails I'll have a smoke of it :)

#64 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

So after months of 'shit or get off the pot' - I've finally ordered some mugwort :) I'll try it as tea, then tincture and if all else fails I'll have a smoke of it :)

great!

let us know what you think after using it those few different ways would ya?

GW-

For gods' sakes we've suffered, this pain is now our lives,

For gods sakes we've suffered enough. - C. Taylor & J. Root

#65 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

Will do :) It arrived today. Going to make a very weak tea tonight just to get a taste for it. Tomorrow I might make a herb bag for under my pillow but am a bit lairy of doing too much with it over the next few days. Call it the Samhain squeamies! ;)

#66 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:06 AM

Thanks guys for the tips. Sol great idea about tincture and ointment - have you a rough recipe for an ointment? It's the dosage / ratios really I'm interested in as have never used it.

Boy do I wish I had paid more attention in chemistry class now :D

Ya, see I can't really give you dosages and ratios as there is no way to do that safely and it is not recommended. Basically, you need to cautiously experiment until you find what works for you. The dose that works for you will not necessarily work for me and would be too much for another, you know what I mean?

Mugwort is a fairly safe and gentle plant, so careful experimentation should be fine. One thing to be aware of though, thujone ( an active chemical compound found in wormwood and mugwort)  will build up in your system. It is not like cannabis, and should not be used on a frequent basis. Make it a special occasion once a month or something.

Basic recipe for ointment;

-dry plant material; 

you will need to infuse the plant material in a carrier oil. (sweet almond, olive, coconut or whatever oil you prefer)

Either place the plant material in oil and leave it in there for a few weeks or to speed it up you could heat it gently for an hour or so, be sure not to let it boil or overheat though.

-strain the plant material from the oil, cheesecloth works well for this.

-heat the oil gently once again and add some beeswax until it is the consistency you want.

Edited by Solanaceae, 31 October 2017 - 12:07 AM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#67 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:21 AM

Great, thanks for that!

I'm confused about the toxicity thing as everything on here is quite cautious but other sites seem to glibly recommend drinking the tea two or three times a day. Some say only for 6 days, others don't seem to set a limit at all.

Would you say least to most toxic is: ointment, tea, tincture, incense, direct smoking?

#68 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:36 AM

When mixed with alcohol, as in an alcohol-based tincture, the liver toxicity is increased. Aside from that, it would have to do with how much you use.

If you are not directly inhaling the incense, that would be less toxic. Sleeping with it under your pillow is less toxic still.

I will add a note here for anyone reading this, Do not use if pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding. 

Mugwort and wormwood are known abortifacients.  

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#69 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

Ya, see I can't really give you dosages and ratios as there is no way to do that safely and it is not recommended. Basically, you need to cautiously experiment until you find what works for you. The dose that works for you will not necessarily work for me and would be too much for another, you know what I mean?

Mugwort is a fairly safe and gentle plant, so careful experimentation should be fine. One thing to be aware of though, thujone ( an active chemical compound found in wormwood and mugwort) will build up in your system. It is not like cannabis, and should not be used on a frequent basis. Make it a special occasion once a month or something.

Basic recipe for ointment;
-dry plant material;
you will need to infuse the plant material in a carrier oil. (sweet almond, olive, coconut or whatever oil you prefer)
Either place the plant material in oil and leave it in there for a few weeks or to speed it up you could heat it gently for an hour or so, be sure not to let it boil or overheat though.
-strain the plant material from the oil, cheesecloth works well for this.
-heat the oil gently once again and add some beeswax until it is the consistency you want.

Thank you for this!

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#70 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Well had some tea. Only had half a mug but it made me quite tranquil and spacey. I planned to lie down and doze but my tongue and throat got a bit prickly and I was concerned I might be allergic! Wearing off now but I'm still sleepy and have a mild headache. Might go make a drum journey and see if there's any difference.

#71 Birka

Birka

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:02 AM

For those checking out mugwort for the first time, or if you are like me and use herbs slowly: mugwort is often used as a seasoning, you can purchase in small amounts in many health food stores and most asian super markets. 

I find that tea is great for dreaming, and smoking is good for trance work. I don't know why, I just know that's how I've worked with her previously and it seems to be good that way.

Great thread!