• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:55 PM

A few years ago I posted a question about using poppets for house protection. You can read it here:
http://www.tradition...or/#entry123259

Updating this post with what happened: I never got a chance to sneak a bottle into the inside of the house. I did paint some bind runes on the walls. Those rooms feel good, safe. The rest of the house was built by my partner, supposedly "for" me but with nothing allowed in it whatsoever that mars its supposed "perfection". Old woman doll... Out. Ancestor altar... He said it was a "dust trap" & dismantled it (not knowing what it was). Everything that is mine must appear completely "normal", uncluttered, etc. My partner is ... difficult, let's just say. So my protections have to be on the down lo.

The main problem now is the house itself. It feels...empty...inside. I have laid out offerings for the house spirit... Nothing. It just feels cold and dead in here. Like it is just a shell. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully lured or brought a house spirit from one house to another -- the little cabin we moved here from, in contrast, always felt cozy and welcoming. It is about 200 yds away. I was thinking about making it some offerings and having a conversation with it about coming to live over here. I have a set of antlers it could live in, or I could make it a little decorative needle-felted house.

Thoughts?

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#2 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

Thought: needing to control every part of one's surroundings is not normal.
Thought: denying a cohabitant an area at home for self expression is not normal.
Thought: rooms in your home that do not feel good and safe are not normal.
Thought: destroying a cohabitants possessions is not normal.

These are all red flag actions. I am really sorry.

Thought: you have the right to control part of your own home.
Thought:you have the right to an area for personal expression in your own home.
Thought: you have the right to a home where every room feels safe and good.
Thought: you have the right to your possessions.

Let's say you make it clear to your partner that these rights have been infringed on. So that could go well, and this whole situation could get turned around. Or it could go not at all well, which is what ditch bags are for, and why it's wise to have one ready.

Bottom line, you're trying to wake up a house that isn't yours. Why would that work? Our dust catching nooks are how people like us inhabit. Put your altar back up and give your old woman doll a proper chair. These are your ways, and necessary to your well-being, and that is nonnegotiable. You don't have to be a bitch about it (I would) and you can totally take some time to cast beforehand. Put honey in his coffee, sort of thing. Why not?

Once you have a home to open to it, the spirit will show.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:17 AM

You don't have to be a bitch about it (I would)

I would be, too.

Once you have a home to open to it, the spirit will show.

Perhaps this is why there's no house spirit. The (other) inhabitant makes it inhospitable.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:01 AM

Hide it's house in a picture frame, behind the picture. Out of sight, safe unless he is looking really hard for it, and pictures likely won't be dismantled. A spirit house doesn't have to be big. I wonder if Heks is able to post? She had similar restrictions on her practice as well for a while, perhaps she will have some good strategies?

And also, I agree with the above....your partner's actions are alerting.

RSKHFMY

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

I divorced that bullshit. Fuck that!

And now my Witchlet is living it. I'm waiting for her to wake the hell up and come home.

It truly sux when you have a house - but it's not a home.

Can you leave your partner there and move back into the cabin?

---------------------------------

Personal issues aside - is it possible to move a house spirit? I think so. How else did the little house spirits, brownies, and other assorted critters travel across the ocean from their homeland to wherever the people settled? Was that intentional or did they just tag along? I really don't know.

Does the house spirit belong to the house or the people/person that lives there?

Are you sure it was a house spirit to begin with and not a personal one?

Yes, I know, I often say that hiding in plain sight is a skill that every Trad should learn. But sometimes, you shouldn't have to. Especially, not in your own home.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#6 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

If it were me, I would be doing a few different forms of divination first, to see if there was some underlying issue I could fix with the partner & the spirit situation-then work on it. Sometimes these things take some time to get a handle on. Did you think about the possibility that there is a spirit there, but it is just choosing to hide itself?

How long have you been there now? I tend to think as you continue to work magic in a certain spot, it naturally attracts spirits there.

Otherwise, why wouldn't a targeted attraction spell work to attract?

There is a newer (2013) book out there (that I have not read yet) called "The Tradition of Household Spirits: Ancestral Lore and Practices" by Claude Lecouteux that may give you some ideas, if you haven't come across it yet. It is available on kindle.

Good luck.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

That sounds like a book I'd like to read. Thanx!

#8 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:52 AM

Maybe cast an invisibility spell on whatever you choose as the new spirit house? Or magically persuade your partner that he likes the new "decoration" or whatever you may have? Also, whatever you house it in, you can change the offerings from obvious things like food to something smaller, like blood (IF you trust it enough with that, that is). Some spirits are so general in their energy preferences that you can pull back the energy which went into making, say....plastic? wood carvings? glass shaping? And give that to them instead, as a purely energetic offering. Definitely screen your spirits though. If grandma wants cookies, you better give that woman her cookies.

Edited by Ravenshaw, 20 January 2016 - 12:53 AM.

RSKHFMY

#9 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:03 AM

Okay, I'm always keen to read another Lecouteaux book. As far as moving a house spirit: yeah it can probably be done, any kind of spirit can be trapped and relocated if a witch is willing to go to the trouble and able to bring the oomph. But, if the spirit in question is the spirit of a particular house, or stone, or tree, what you get at the other end of the process will be only somewhat akin to the original, and may not be as amenable anymore. What you might could do instead is clone it. Bring a chunk of the old cabin into the new house, and see if it will grow, and inspire the growth and awakening of a spirit, not the same but akin. I have seen some beautiful pieces of woodwork, simple but effective, that inspire like feelings to an old home. I remember in particular a wise old father who, when the family farmhouse was ready to quit, took boards and fashioned them into art for his children. I saw the bat house that he made, and it was pretty powerful. Think of it like bringing in the bread and salt, or the yeast cake, into a new home. I never had the family gift brought to my house, but what I've heard is that we used to do cooked eggs, back in the day. Perhaps you can still cook in the old cabin? Bread risen and baked there, eggs cooked there, salt that has been kept there, all are good bets. A floorboard sanded into a cheeseboard, a brick from the old walk placed under a potted plant, water drawn there and used in the fish tank, can all be seeds, or like yeast, to grow your relationship with your new home. And it's a lucky thing to do. I have some ideas about outright stealing a house spirit, but they're not what I would do to the home of anyone I wished well.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#10 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

Some like to move, some are attached to the land (land spirits). Those attached to the land absolutely need an equivalent new vessel to transfer to if they desire to remain with you. A typical house spirit attaches to the home owner/family of the house and travels with them as RR mentioned.

Some Celtic and Slavic tribes/magic folk used to perform land taking rituals, basically an elaborate way to announce one's arrival and set ones boundaries for all the local spirits to witness. But I doubt it would fully work if you don't have all right in your own home.

When I lived in some else's townhouse as a roommate, I couldn't successfully protect the house, only my bedroom which was the only room I could truly call mine. I tried many various ways for the four years I lived there but I always found them to perform poorly.

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

And what does perform doesn't last long.

WhiteRaven, always good to see you :)

#12 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Thank you Rose Red. I'm trying to make an effort to re-emerge into the world now that my youngest is a month old. :) I'm getting used to the rhythm of juggling three kids.

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

I would say you have to go back to the cabin or wherever you lived and invite it if you didn't do so in the beginning. If you just left, and didn't tell it you were going or give it something to travel in, and there was just packing and upheaval then it is probably left behind, especially if you can't feel it. I'd say go back there, explain what happened and apologize and ask it to come with you giving it something to travel in. I wouldn't force it or trap it, because then you're bringing something against it's will, which may end you with an enemy living in your house. Or, start over again, with a new house spirit - the place you moved into should have some kind of energy in it... work with it and the spirit of the current house, without bringing your old house's spirit if you can't get back there to talk to it.

M

#14 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

Congrats, Mama!

#15 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

I have to ask: does your significant other have allergies that might explain his aversion to "dust traps"? Does his compulsion for a "normal" appearing home extend to just areas where visitors have access, or are you forbidden from displaying any of your personal items and altars anywhere in the house?

Anyways, regarding the house spirit. If it were me, I would take advantage of the cabin's proximity to the new home and make offerings daily for a week or so, then "pop the question" to relocate the spirit. I'd also meditate to determine when the spirit felt strongest when I lived there (i.e.- lunar cycle, specific weather events, etc.)

#16 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

It sounds like you've got some land to work with as well. Could you leave some outdoor offerings to the land spirits and request that they gift you something to bring indoors? There's all sorts of crafty, creative things you can do with stones or pinecones or wood that wouldn't look out of place in any "normal" home. Pinterest has a gazillion nature Crafts that could easily double as vessel for a willing spirit.

I echo others that have worries about you not being able to express yourself in your own home. Not okay. Even the most controlling of housewives let their husbands with no skill or interest in decorating have their 'mancaves' usually. Why should you not also have your own space? Some sanctuary in the home that is just yours.

Forget about the house being an inhospitable place to spirits...it sounds like it's inhospitable to you!

#17 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:40 PM

@Rose Red thank you :D
@Rapunzel would you by chance know a particularly good pinterest board for that? I love new creative ideas for the craft...and crafts! :P

#18 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

Not a board in particular. I'd just go on Pinterest and search for "nature crafts" or "nature diy" until something caught my eye that would work for a dual purpose.

I'm always getting stuff like that in my feed because I'm always pinning crafts and nature photos and herbs and gardening stuff, along with various witchcraft related pictures, etc. Pinterest seems pretty good at predicting my tastes by this point

#19 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

I'll have to add it to my interests. I'm fairly new to Pinterest.

And to the OP, if your situation is not negotiable and you really can't practice in your own home as you wish, I would suggest a garden altar. You would be limited in the cold winter months, but if you really wanted to get fancy, you can even put it under a small gazebo canopy (they cost between $50-$100) to shield it from sun, rain, and snow. Maybe when you have a gorgeous outdoor temple of your own you won't worry about a dusty indoor altar. And if that isn't the real reason and he still has a problem with it, then you have more issues to handle before you tackle the empty house.

One of my neighbors has a little shrine in the center of their garden. She has multiple statues including saints and the Virgin Mary. It's very beautiful in the summer! Outside of my home, we have a chiminea that we use as a second "hearth" to practice outside. It's not necessarily an "altar" for decoration and offerings, but it is a sacred space.

#20 Aronses

Aronses

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

As everyone else has been saying, that honestly doesn't sound like a place a person can live, and being a witch only makes it that much harder. As a person who has been in a relationship with another who has limited me, more socially than expressively, it can really hurt you and change who you are to an extent. If you can't find a way to let him be who you are and let the space around you be a part of that, then you need to get away from that. Looking for loopholes like finding hidden ways to express yourself or working around his rules that seem ridiculously strict is harmful and should never occur in a healthy relationship. You need to sit him and and make him listen, but be safe about it at the same time.