66 replies to this topic

#41 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

Anara & RoseRed:
ENOUGH! Either keep your comments to the OP or shut the fuck up.

ok, MW. Sounds good to me.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#42 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

Another one by Sarah Anne Lawless (just finished reading) is For Fear of Flying.

#43 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Coming across this article again is quite timely for this thread. I think it's an excellent write up on the mechanics of hedgewitchery, astral travel, etc. These things can be so difficult to put into words and the author is good at doing that.

Walking Between Worlds http://sarahannelawl...between-worlds/

The following is from the 1st paragraph:

"...The ability to walk between worlds is found in both witchcraft and shamanism as well as ancient Pagan religions (especially those with ecstatic cults). It is experiential and cannot be taught to someone without the innate ability. It is something either you can do or cannot do. This is not folk magic - not everyone can walk between worlds. Certain factors predispose ability such as being caul-born, being born with the second-sight, a traumatic experience or near-death experience, being chosen by the spirits and granted the ability, and such-like".

From what I've read on Shaman Sickness, this ties in with that - certain people being called to Shamanism. So I'm assuming there are certain people who are called toward hedgecrossing?

The second question is in regard to the third paragraph - Crossing in the Body: When you cross in your body, you have "a foot in both worlds". She states that "Your soul is still in your body but all your senses are in the otherworld..."

My question is, do you still sense things in this world as well? During the meditation journey - I don't remember if I could sense anything in this realm or not. That one was well-defined. I was pulled in rather quickly. But the journey I had between the wakeful/sleep state, I swear I could feel a pain in my leg in this realm, but not in the otherworld.

#44 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

My question is, do you still sense things in this world as well?

It depends. When I use herbs to cross over, it seems that I am completely gone from my body and this "reality": every single sense is in the Other. When I don't do herbs, typically my senses seemed dulled in the Other and I may be vaguely aware of my earthly physical environment/body.

#45 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

It depends. When I use herbs to cross over, it seems that I am completely gone from my body and this "reality": every single sense is in the Other. When I don't do herbs, typically my senses seemed dulled in the Other and I may be vaguely aware of my earthly physical environment/body.

That's interesting - the difference with herbs and without. I've never used anything before so I'm sure if I'd have the same reaction or not. It makes sense, seeing that you're in both realms at the same time, that you senses would be dulled in both realms as well.

#46 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

From my personal experience, I agree that the method of crossing effects the entire trip. I've used various herbs and things, as well as disciplines of one type or another. I like knowing that I have a little control over the intensity. There are bridges that I haven't crossed in the last decade, because I may at any moment need to return to waking consciousness for parental duties. Mom doesn't have eight consecutive hours to spend... on anything, really.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#47 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

I hear that.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#48 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

I'm going to buy the Witches' Flying Ointment next week to see what benefit I get from it.

#49 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:01 AM

The following is from the 1st paragraph:

"...The ability to walk between worlds is found in both witchcraft and shamanism as well as ancient Pagan religions (especially those with ecstatic cults). It is experiential and cannot be taught to someone without the innate ability. It is something either you can do or cannot do. This is not folk magic - not everyone can walk between worlds. Certain factors predispose ability such as being caul-born, being born with the second-sight, a traumatic experience or near-death experience, being chosen by the spirits and granted the ability, and such-like".

I don't know if I agree with the supposition that there are specific predisposed "factors" to be able to do it (too much of "special snowflake-ness" in that idea for me), it reminds of that idiotic list she wrote about what makes a witch. I will be the first person to hold my hand up and say that I have had and still do in some cases, extreme difficulty in crossing the hedge. I wasn't caul-born, or had a near death experience - or any of that type of thing (though I was 8 weeks premmie) so like any other person, I've had to work at it. And it in no way negates the extremely powerful experiences I have had while doing so. It has changed my perspective on a lot of things - I'm not even sure I could describe what it is that I've experienced. I am a hedge witch - did I feel a call to it? Not to start with, it was more of a natural progression of my path, I started over there and ended up here but my practice is heavily based in the Green which includes the use of and interaction with herbs, land spirits, Chthonic beings I can't even put a name to and a deeper understanding of the currents in the earth and how we're connected.

I use herbs sometimes, other times not. Actually one of my most powerful experiences was being yanked into the Otherwold while having a bath (Clary Sage and Lavender scented the water - not for any metaphysical reason but for relaxation reasons), I wasn't prepared, I wasn't even necessarily thinking about it but those that had something to say wanted to say it there and then. Got tonsillitis for like 4 weeks after that - though I do think my rather cute toddler nephew was in part responsible for that. So I think everyone's experiences differ and everyone's approach is all rather individual but I do wish you luck with the flying ointment!

Edited by Stacey, 23 January 2016 - 04:03 AM.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#50 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

This is such an interesting thread. I know it's a couple of years old but my first shamanic journey two guides appeared to me in the form of birds who became human and took a human form. After that first journey I only ever see human figures in the middle world when searching for info or healing or when I saw a spirit in the upper world. I never see humans in the lower world, it's a very different landscape there and my guide always has an animal form.

Aine I think at the start you talked about digging into the ground. When I read it I thought it was very shamanic - we were taught to find the entrance into the earth to go to the lower world. I only did a taster journey to meet my guide at a workshop, then did a lot of work on my own which made it harder. Entering the earth was difficult - I could get in but never seemed to come out. I got bogged down at the tunnel stage. In the end it was a guide or shadow self who helped me. She literally threw me down inside a tree trunk and I popped straight out in the lower world. For me the tunnel was an obstruction and it helped when I was dropped straight down in. I do believe this was help from spirit and I have an affinity for this sort of work so I've had more training since. So while I believe these are skills open to all people to some degree, I do believe that this is where some people have natural abilities, just as others have a green thumb or a talent for mediumship.

I never take substances to enter the otherworld - just drumming. I tried mugwort once out of curiosity and it just made me feel sleepy. For me I believe that my guide spirit helps me work in this way. I just wish he would help me keep plants alive as I love herbalism but can't keep my plants thriving! :carrot:

#51 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:17 PM

As far as Shadow people I've seen Shadow People my whole life, well at least since I was nine. They have been a constant presence in my life, they seem to do their own thing, sometimes only a couple come around other times it's a whole group of them. 

Another thing that has occured (sorry if this is off topic) since I was the same age is that I often hear the voice of a women call my name. I always answer, I have tried to ask it questions it always tells me to hush. Except one time when I asked who she was she simply answered you know, you know. Like I said I was nine, both my grandmothers were alive so it's not them and I have never had a clue who it could possibly be. 

From my early twenties sometimes I see a world or alternative reality overlap the mundane world. It's like I'm looking through a filter were my normal world is underneath another world that has for a while taking its place. Is that considered Hedge-Riding or something else completely?

I have astral travelled before but when the world is overlapped by another it's different or at least I precieve it differently from astral traveling.

Edited by Ozman, 25 June 2018 - 11:20 PM.

#52 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:23 AM

@Ozman - just my opinion but the overlapping vision seems to be a different type of event from spirit traveling, and I've understood hedge crossing usually refers to OOBE. I dunno if bleed-thru from other time periods or intersecting dimensions would be lumped into the one term. I've never thought of the phrase hedge crossing as being a mix of psi experiences - their variety is endless - but maybe other people think differently.

Now I'm wondering about it too. According to the "What is Hedge Crossing/Riding" article referenced on the first page of this post, it is departing the mundane realm and seeking wisdom by entering either the upper realm of the Sages or the lower realm of the Spirits.

Hmm. As far back as I can recall I've "flown" or traveled OOB when I sleep although of course I didn't know that's what I was doing. Sometimes id just do barrel rolls on the ceiling for fun & star-gaze out on the roof. My guide has taken me to visit special teachers and to massive lecture halls crowded with people to hear speakers. Go figure - my guide is a spirit and the lecturers were sages, so what "realm" is that?

A couple times I've been visible to other people in real time when OOB, although not deliberately. It just happened while praying. A Rosary prayer group of about 15 members I'd belonged to, in one of our ernest meetings once all simultaneously stopped chanting in the middle of a Hail Mary and then resumed as-one about 2 minutes later. I'd have to call that suspended time period "ecstasy" as we were certainly elsewhere for a brief time, not in the mundane. it's happened more than once with other groups. Carlo Ginzberg referred to such experiences in his book by that title, "Ecstacy, Deciphering the Witch's Sabbath" and also in "Night Battles" about the cults who did OOB battles for the success of the harvests. It just seems there's an established history of spirit travel in various cultural groups.

Edited by Zombee, 28 June 2018 - 04:26 AM.

#53 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:40 AM

@Ozman - just my opinion but the overlapping vision seems to be a different type of event from spirit traveling, and I've understood hedge crossing usually refers to OOBE. I dunno if bleed-thru from other time periods or intersecting dimensions would be lumped into the one term. I've never thought of the phrase hedge crossing as being a mix of psi experiences - their variety is endless - but maybe other people think differently.

Now I'm wondering about it too. I need to hunt up a definition.

I've been hunting around and Hedge Crossing does seem to be different than bleed throughs, trying to find something on bleed throughs but seem to be grappling dust. 

#54 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:46 AM

You might try search terms of multi- or inter-dimensional experiences, time distortions & bi-location...we can be here & "there" at the same time. Other life time flash backs can be experienced as over-lays when revisiting a formerly known location. On the flip side we can pre-vision an event that will be experienced later at the location, or get whacked up-side the head by a vision of something that will impact a person who crosses our path. Ya' gotta wonder about those straight paths ... :)

#55 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:21 AM

Ozman, I was thinking (ouch!) about the woman's voice calling your name when you were 9. I've always heard a voice & have come to accept it as my guide. In a sense we do know who they are even if not in the mundane level of awareness, because they are either separate beings assigned to us as in a guardian/guide concept or are ourselves in the higher realm of consciousness. The higher self is often the opposite gender. Reverse polarity between realms seems to be the norm, right? Isn't that a precept of alchemy or something like it?

#56 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

Ozman, I was thinking (ouch!) about the woman's voice calling your name when you were 9. I've always heard a voice & have come to accept it as my guide. In a sense we do know who they are even if not in the mundane level of awareness, because they are either separate beings assigned to us as in a guardian/guide concept or are ourselves in the higher realm of consciousness. The higher self is often the opposite gender. Reverse polarity between realms seems to be the norm, right? Isn't that a precept of alchemy or something like it?

I never thought of a spirit guide like that, and yes the higher self is an aspect of ourselves that's more awake and I suppose she could be my higher self manifesting as a women's voice. In Alchemy as in ceremonial magick the ultimate goal is to embrace and become all opposites, male and female, positive and darkness, that way the individual person can become a god or god-like on earth. So it does make sense, maybe I have to merge my male and female self more. 

#57 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

You might try search terms of multi- or inter-dimensional experiences, time distortions & bi-location...we can be here & "there" at the same time. Other life time flash backs can be experienced as over-lays when revisiting a formerly known location. On the flip side we can pre-vision an event that will be experienced later at the location, or get whacked up-side the head by a vision of something that will impact a person who crosses our path. Ya' gotta wonder about those straight paths ... :)

I will def look into these topics, thank you for the suggestions as well as your insights about past lives or visions of future as overlays. Yes I do wonder about the straights lol

#58 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

Occasionally just as I come out of meditation (if it was a good one) I will see what I can best describe as a large corner section of the projection wall paper rolled back to reveal a mechanical realm underlying this one. It'll happen just as I open my eyes & startles me. It began about 5 years ago &'happens randomly. I haven't yet remained stoic enough to let it continue more than 3-4 heartbeats. If I'm looking for it, natch it won't happen. It reminds me of the black, gloomy metallic stage settings for the Borg on Star Trek. I've never seen any of the Matrix movies either because it creeps me out.

I was viewing a you-tube video yesterday about trance. It's titled Graham Hancock Explains Who Mankind's Ancient Teachers Really Are. I give the link but my iPad never seems to connect so you may have to go to YT & enter the title.

https://m.youtube.co...tch?v=i-cAinvm3

The video's bio reads:

Published on Apr 29, 2018This is the most revolutionary theory yet visited by Graham Hancock, investigating ancient civilizations and discovering shaman trances, and altered states of consciousness are not just a mere trick of the mind, but are the alteration of the mind's power's of perception, enabling us to glimpse normally invisible spirit worlds. This includes the ancient cave art found in Europe and Africa, the accounts of what is commonly believed to be Alien Abductions, other societal encounters of the spirit world, the nature of the activating catalyst DMT, and the evidence of shamanistic ritual and beginnings in various different religions.

Less than 50,000 years ago mankind had no art, no religion, no sophisticated symbolism, no innovative thinking. Then, in a dramatic and electrifying change, described by scientists as "the greatest riddle in human history", all the skills and qualities that we value most highly in ourselves appeared already fully formed, as though bestowed on us by hidden powers. In "Supernatural", Graham Hancock sets out to investigate this mysterious "before-and-after moment" and to discover the truth about the influences that gave birth to the modern human mind. His quest takes him on a journey of adventure and detection from the stunningly beautiful painted caves of prehistoric France, Spain and Italy to remote rock shelters in the mountains of South Africa where he finds a treasure trove of extraordinary Stone Age art.He uncovers clues that lead him to travel to the depths of the Amazon rainforest to drink the powerful plant hallucinogen Ayahuasca with Indian shamans, whose paintings contain images of "supernatural beings" identical to the animal-human hybrids depicted in prehistoric caves and rock shelters. And hallucinogens such as mescaline, also produce visionary encounters with exactly the same beings. Scientists at the cutting edge of consciousness research have begun to consider the possibility that such hallucinations may be real perceptions of other "dimensions". Could the "supernaturals" first depicted in the painted caves and rock shelters be the ancient teachers of mankind? Could it be that human evolution is not just the "blind", "meaningless" process that Darwin identified, but something else, more purposive and intelligent, that we have barely even begun to understand?"

#59 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

Thank you Zombee, this was a very interesting video, the similarities are striking. 

#60 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:51 AM

@ZombeeI have been looking into what you suggested and my experiences seem to be closer to inter-dimensional overlays and travel.