#41 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

Anara & RoseRed:
ENOUGH! Either keep your comments to the OP or shut the fuck up.

ok, MW. Sounds good to me.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#42 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

Another one by Sarah Anne Lawless (just finished reading) is For Fear of Flying.

#43 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Coming across this article again is quite timely for this thread. I think it's an excellent write up on the mechanics of hedgewitchery, astral travel, etc. These things can be so difficult to put into words and the author is good at doing that.

Walking Between Worlds http://sarahannelawl...between-worlds/

The following is from the 1st paragraph:

"...The ability to walk between worlds is found in both witchcraft and shamanism as well as ancient Pagan religions (especially those with ecstatic cults). It is experiential and cannot be taught to someone without the innate ability. It is something either you can do or cannot do. This is not folk magic - not everyone can walk between worlds. Certain factors predispose ability such as being caul-born, being born with the second-sight, a traumatic experience or near-death experience, being chosen by the spirits and granted the ability, and such-like".

From what I've read on Shaman Sickness, this ties in with that - certain people being called to Shamanism. So I'm assuming there are certain people who are called toward hedgecrossing?

The second question is in regard to the third paragraph - Crossing in the Body: When you cross in your body, you have "a foot in both worlds". She states that "Your soul is still in your body but all your senses are in the otherworld..."

My question is, do you still sense things in this world as well? During the meditation journey - I don't remember if I could sense anything in this realm or not. That one was well-defined. I was pulled in rather quickly. But the journey I had between the wakeful/sleep state, I swear I could feel a pain in my leg in this realm, but not in the otherworld.

#44 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

My question is, do you still sense things in this world as well?

It depends. When I use herbs to cross over, it seems that I am completely gone from my body and this "reality": every single sense is in the Other. When I don't do herbs, typically my senses seemed dulled in the Other and I may be vaguely aware of my earthly physical environment/body.

#45 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

It depends. When I use herbs to cross over, it seems that I am completely gone from my body and this "reality": every single sense is in the Other. When I don't do herbs, typically my senses seemed dulled in the Other and I may be vaguely aware of my earthly physical environment/body.

That's interesting - the difference with herbs and without. I've never used anything before so I'm sure if I'd have the same reaction or not. It makes sense, seeing that you're in both realms at the same time, that you senses would be dulled in both realms as well.

#46 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

From my personal experience, I agree that the method of crossing effects the entire trip. I've used various herbs and things, as well as disciplines of one type or another. I like knowing that I have a little control over the intensity. There are bridges that I haven't crossed in the last decade, because I may at any moment need to return to waking consciousness for parental duties. Mom doesn't have eight consecutive hours to spend... on anything, really.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#47 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

I hear that.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#48 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

I'm going to buy the Witches' Flying Ointment next week to see what benefit I get from it.

#49 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:01 AM

The following is from the 1st paragraph:

"...The ability to walk between worlds is found in both witchcraft and shamanism as well as ancient Pagan religions (especially those with ecstatic cults). It is experiential and cannot be taught to someone without the innate ability. It is something either you can do or cannot do. This is not folk magic - not everyone can walk between worlds. Certain factors predispose ability such as being caul-born, being born with the second-sight, a traumatic experience or near-death experience, being chosen by the spirits and granted the ability, and such-like".

I don't know if I agree with the supposition that there are specific predisposed "factors" to be able to do it (too much of "special snowflake-ness" in that idea for me), it reminds of that idiotic list she wrote about what makes a witch. I will be the first person to hold my hand up and say that I have had and still do in some cases, extreme difficulty in crossing the hedge. I wasn't caul-born, or had a near death experience - or any of that type of thing (though I was 8 weeks premmie) so like any other person, I've had to work at it. And it in no way negates the extremely powerful experiences I have had while doing so. It has changed my perspective on a lot of things - I'm not even sure I could describe what it is that I've experienced. I am a hedge witch - did I feel a call to it? Not to start with, it was more of a natural progression of my path, I started over there and ended up here but my practice is heavily based in the Green which includes the use of and interaction with herbs, land spirits, Chthonic beings I can't even put a name to and a deeper understanding of the currents in the earth and how we're connected.

I use herbs sometimes, other times not. Actually one of my most powerful experiences was being yanked into the Otherwold while having a bath (Clary Sage and Lavender scented the water - not for any metaphysical reason but for relaxation reasons), I wasn't prepared, I wasn't even necessarily thinking about it but those that had something to say wanted to say it there and then. Got tonsillitis for like 4 weeks after that - though I do think my rather cute toddler nephew was in part responsible for that. So I think everyone's experiences differ and everyone's approach is all rather individual but I do wish you luck with the flying ointment!

Edited by Stacey, 23 January 2016 - 04:03 AM.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix