• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:23 AM

interesting perspective about walls, I've heard something similar before but for some people it's not about keeping things out its about keeping oneself in
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#22 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:10 AM

Very interesting way to look at things

#23 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

There is very good published and even better unpublished material on protection. It's definitely it's own thing, but if someone is really gunning for you, you will have a hell of a time stopping them.

Nosy buggers with talent will see what is obvious, this I know from experience. They will not see what is not so obvious. It is preferable to make things reactive and intelligent....a very good, very powerful friend of mine was checking on me, as I was not doing well at all, protections didn't go off. But I apparently bitchslapped her back into her body in my sleep(let's call this both good and bad), so I mean, work on you and your abilities as well, not just magic. Spirits are ever so helpful, along with witch bottles and all the other things you can do.

Be dynamic, be sneaky, misdirect, make friends....all in good time.

Edited by Aurelian, 14 January 2016 - 08:41 AM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#24 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

Trav, the tradition you study is jungle shamanism in the jungles of Peru.

But I hear you and mostly agree. As a young witch I did a lot of protection workings. As an older witch - not so much. It can be difficult to interact with the worlds around you when you're living inside a bubble. (Anyone remember the John Travolta movie?)

Spellcraft is only one small (or not so small) subset of the Craft. Learning to work with tools, ingredients and weapons is part of it. But, if you work on your own abilities - you can do without any of those.

Yes, Aur, all in good time.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#25 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

I do study in the jungle, but mostly I study in the Andes mountains actually.... They have many similarities but a surprising amount of differences. They use more protection in the jungle and much less in the mountains.

In the jungle the often fight dark energy with dark energy. They use protections, and when they remove dark energy they often send it back to the source. This seems to create an endless back and forth battle in my experience and the community there is always battling each other.....

In the mountains they dont fight dark at all - they transmute it into something else. The idea is that you cannot create or destroy energy, but you can change its form. So instead of endless battles, when someone sends them bad energy they transmute it into helpful energy and the battle basically ends there.

I can give you a personal example. About a year ago a member from another online forum attacked me with sorcery. Sounds silly, but the guy has some ego problems and decided to attack me for disagreeing with him. So for a few days I started having intense bad luck - so many things going wrong at once that it couldnt really be coincidence. So I did a ritual to find out what was causing the issue and I saw this guy in my visions casting sorcery on me. Instead of casting sorcery back at him or sending his energy back to him (if I send it back to him he can just use that same energy to attack me again), I did something else - I made an offering to the earth and local land spirits by my house.

The offering I made asked these spirits to transmute the harmful energy he sent against me into energy that would empower and help me. The huge string of bad luck instantly turned into the best string of good luck I had had in a long time. Instead of some back and forth battle I used his attack to help myself and empower myself, so his attempt at attacking me actually helped me out a ton because he just sent me a bunch of energy which I could then do whatever I wanted to with. He put evil intent into the energy, but energy can change forms and once the energy is in my court I can do whatever I want with it.

#26 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

Instead of separating yourself from the world around you they teach harmony.

One method they use to reach harmony is to "digest" disharmonious energy with their stomachs. Just like digesting food you separate the nectar from the waste inside of the energy and you keep the nectar while letting out the waste to the earth (so the earth can eat it and turn it into life). When I asked one of the healers what he does if someone sent him a spiritual attack he just smiled and said "I thank them for the good meal."

This is part of the reason I dont recommend regular banishing rituals - I think you end up banishing energy that would help you as often as you banish other energies and think the area gets too sterile....

That's an interesting prospective and practice, travsha. My practice has a loosely similar undercurrent.

---------

As my Path progressed, my protections also changed.

Protective Magic can very much be a fluid practice -- ebbing and flowing as the practitioner develops... or as needs arise.

Just like the OP, I recall being confused and frustrated by conflicting information, too. Once A&B were in place - I just had fun with it.

Having a 'bag of tricks' to apply or abandon - at will - comes in handy. That witchy tool box thing, for sure.

Edited by Nikki, 14 January 2016 - 05:08 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#27 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:31 AM

Trav, are you anywhere near where they work with guinea pigs? I've seen some amazing documentaries around those regions and I can definitely see what you're describing.

I thank them for a good meal. :nana:

i love that!

#28 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:47 AM

For some reason, my brain is making parallels between what Travsha is describing and potatoes.

Okay, serious, stop laughing and let me explain. Potatoes, if I remember correctly, were originally native to South/Central America, and were originally poisonous to humans. But some of the folks down there were able to tolerate certain varieties with little harm. After generations of selective cultivation, they eventually became more like what we eat now. However when the first Europeans tried the local cuisine, they believed they were being poisoned because their systems couldn't digest the potatoes.

That's kind of a round-about way of saying that for most of us, consuming a negative energy like that might be like taking in poison if you're not able to digest it properly. But I'm completely fascinated by the idea of learning how to transmute energy like that now. It really lines up with my philosophy on a lot of things puts recent events into a different perspective.

Since my last encounter with something that seemed to me as though it was manipulating my dreams to produce and feed off my negative energy, I've had a curiously rapid growth in my confidence and courage, even seen my psychic qualities develop a bit. But my initial reaction was to hide, put up walls, banish, clear out, smudge-napalm-nuke everything out of my space. I caught myself going down a path that would have only perpetuated the negativity and fear. So I made the decision to go in exactly the opposite direction and I surprised by the momentum with which I was able to do that. Perhaps I was (unwittingly) doing what you describe, or at least, scratching at the surface of it.

-------

One thing that is curious to me that has come up in these discussions, I believe it was RoseRed that said you have known people to use occult forums like this as target practice (it may have been the old hag thread). As a novice, that startled me a bit. I guess I never considered that someone could harm you without your name, face, details, or anything to go off besides a screenname and avatar. So many hexes and spells require personal effects, direct contact, photographs etc to connect you with the person, so you're saying that there are people out there with enough skill to attack someone whose face and name is unknown to them?

That there is that sort of power out there to wield is both exciting and scary to me. And it makes it more clear to me why the best protection witchcraft isn't out there published on public forums for all to see (and unravel).

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 15 January 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#29 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

Oh yeah, there's more than enough emotion in your posts and your avatar (chosen picture) can be used as well.

Cybermagick is a growing area. We're all connected by the world wide web. Is it really any surprise that people have adapted and learned to use the currently popular method of reaching out and touching someone?

Personal taglocks are not required by every practitioner out there. Witches are only a small subsection of the occult community.

#30 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Yep - they eat guinea pig in Peru and have for thousands of years - I ate one at my wedding with a little cherry tomato in its mouth :smile:

All potatoes anywhere in the world originally come from Peru. Still today modern scientists can not figure out how to make poisonous potatoes edible, but thousands of years ago in Peru they figured it out and they have thousands of edible potatoes. That is an interesting way of seeing the similarities between harmonizing with the potato and harmonizing with "heavy" energies.

#31 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

You were hanging out in the jungle for a time tho, weren't you?

#32 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

interesting perspective about walls, I've heard something similar before but for some people it's not about keeping things out its about keeping oneself in

Yeah, this is something important to note, too.

Very interesting !!!

Edited by Nikki, 16 January 2016 - 06:04 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#33 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

You were hanging out in the jungle for a time tho, weren't you?

Yes, I go to the jungle too and I also study those traditions. I kinda mix the Andean and Amazonian traditions together, though more of the Andean style. Maybe 60% Andean, 30% Amazonian and 10% other traditions or something like that.... I kinda have a unique style.

And it may have sounded like I dont use protection.... I try to mostly work with harmonizing things and transmuting energies like I described but I also use protections sometimes. I am still developing my personal style and finding my own path that works for me.

Edited by travsha, 17 January 2016 - 05:59 PM.

#34 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

Aren't we all? We're in good company :)

#35 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

I never banish. The spirits in my home keep the troublesome ones away. If one comes along that they can't handle, I take it out by hand.

When you smudge, it's the spirit of the herb or smoke itself that you are petitioning. Personally, I was raised that the smoke blessed not that it banished. Burning it releases the spirit of the herb into the air. You first invoke the spirit, then dedicate it to the directions, then smudge yourself, then smudge your area. It's a ceremony of honor and reverence. New age literature makes it seem like you can just light a commercial stick of some nasty chemical mixed with resin that you buy at a department store and wave it around to clean things on a spiritual level. It's actually rather offensive.

All you are truly doing if you aren't considering the spirit, is using your own power and will or at best an air elemental that you called in your quarters (which I don't do but I know it's a popular modern practice.)

Edited by WhiteRaven, 20 January 2016 - 10:44 PM.

#36 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

Thank you, WhiteRaven, for your insight, because that really clears up my view of smudging and explains some of the gut-feelings that I had. It didn't seem right, after all the work I've done to make my house hospitable to certain spirits, to them turn around and do something that might make them feel unwelcome. But to work with the spirit of the herb to *bless* the house makes so much more sense to me.

That also clears up a bit why I seem to have had more success smudging with herbs that I've built a working relationship with.

#37 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

Building a relationship with the spirits is key. :)

The idea is that when you have the presence of the spirit of the herb around you and in you (when you breathe in the smoke), all that the spirit represents becomes a part of the fabric of the space and apart of you. Of course, it's temporary. But when you build a connection with it over time, it's no longer temporary but something you carry with you always.

#38 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Speaking of spirits, in some places people have little shrines or spirit houses right at their front door/gate, and petition to them every day to ward off unwanted spirits, energy, and perhaps guests :P

Some stick pictures of guardians/deities on the door, possibly in the same vein with stone lions and gargoyles.

The most stylish door protection (?) I saw was a couplet, which depicted how certain herbs attracted luck and dispelled evils. I felt It was a threat to anything negative that if they came in, they would like terminated in the described fashion.