• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

Something I read in another thread reminded me of something I could use some clarification about.

I know (all too well) about the importance of protecting yourself and setting boundaries when working with spirits. But I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about the best ways to do that. What's really confusing to me is it seems like some of the measures we take against harmful spirits and entities might also be a barrier to the spirits that we DO want to work with.

For example, if I'm smudging my house to get rid of negative energy and then I do spellwork in the house, have I "undone" the smudge? Is smudging going to mess with the ancestral altar I have set up? Does it target the negative energies only or can I give permission to some spirits to stick around?

The same question applies to dragon's blood or frankincense or any other fragrance that is meant to purify a space. I've seen these included in spellbooks on a regular basis both to banish and summon and I've wondered why you would use these things to repel spirits one minute and to attract them the next.

Same goes for things like hematite, tourmaline and other protective amulets....if I'm wearing something like that to protect myself, do I remove it when I'm working with my ancestors or doing spellwork? Does it make me vulnerable to remove it while doing a working or am I hindering my own energy by wearing it?

And how come salt and cascarilla seem to be used for both repelling spirits and creating space for spirits to work in, etc.? I've seen folks that keep salt on their working altars at all times but that seems counterproductive to me...wouldn't you only want salt present when you wanted those doors to be closed?

I've read things that say "make sure your chakras are activated to make your spells more powerful" and other things that say activating your chakras makes you vulnerable to possession or attack from spiritual entities. (I'm not sure that I buy into the chakra thing anyways so this is especially confusing to me). I suppose you could say the same thing about any sort of trance work as well.

I understand that a lot of these misunderstandings might be from Wiccan/new agey stuff workings it's way into the things I'm reading, but I'm trying to weed it out and establish some good habits for protecting myself. Even the non-Wiccan material seems to contradict itself a lot when it comes to this. Feel free to correct me if I'm thinking about this all wrong because at this point, it's not making a lot of sense to me.

The closest thing I can come to a conclusion is that there is just a certain amount of risk you take on any time you work with the "other" and the true power of protection has to come from within yourself and your own fortitude. The tools and herbs are just there to aid you in that. Am I on the right track, or is this my naïveté speaking?

#2 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

Something I read in another thread reminded me of something I could use some clarification about.

[sic]

The closest thing I can come to a conclusion is that there is just a certain amount of risk you take on any time you work with the "other" and the true power of protection has to come from within yourself and your own fortitude. The tools and herbs are just there to aid you in that. Am I on the right track, or is this my naïveté speaking?

--

Do you feel that you still need clarification, or are you confident in the conclusion you have drawn?

#3 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

That is a lot of questions. LOL

Spellwork, and I assume you are speaking of negative spellwork, will not 'undo' your smudging, although you should purify your working space AND yourself after doing baneful work. Things like, rubbing the space down with florida water, and doing a cleansing bath on yourself.

Now, whilst working with certain spirits...their energy can certainly linger. When calling upon certain beings, I do not do so in the house.

Herbs have dual natures. I use asafeotida to both banish(in nuclear fashion) and call up malignant entities....but I'm not going to say what I mix that with for the calling.

If you are concerned about banishing your friendly spirits, provide a space for them, with something PHYSICAL to reside in. AKA a fetish or spirit house.

You don't need protection from your ancestors...well, mostly. Sometimes you do, but that's a really in depth subject to get into, and I'm not sure we'd all be in agreement with what I'd have to say about that. Things that dull/mute/ground energy, and thus communication, yeah, I'd say remove them. Most stones aren't going to do a whole hell of a lot to a spirit that has an intention of damaging you. Make yourself, say, a wolves tooth amulet, and you'll, I think, have better result...or lack of, which is the important thing.

Salt and cascarilla simply create boundaries.

Chakras are not pertinent to traditional witchcraft. How did I first learn to work with energy? Tai chi, and I recommend you take up the practice. It will enable you to make sure you're using OUTSIDE sources of energy, not just your own, and the consequences that come with that. Not trad craft, although it is a traditional art.

Spirits are around you whether you are aware of them or not. Precaution? ALWAYS get a name from them, if you do not already have one. I can't state this strongly enough.

Magic and spirit calling are both arts...and there is no certainty in either form. Learn as much as you can before you do something, and hope for the best! Experience will always be your best teacher.

I have done a LOT of shit that people say is dangerous, to little personal consequence. So.......

Hope that clears a few things up!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#4 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:47 AM

ImamSua- mostly looking for opinions and discussion and experience from people that know what they are doing (since I do not! Lol)

Aurelian- that's one of the most informative and useful rundowns of spiritwork that I've yet to read. Thank you for taking the time to answer and clearing some things up for me.

-Tai Chi, it's interesting you should bring that up, as I just was thinking earlier this week out of the blue about taking it up. I studied Japanese martial arts for many years and it was my first introduction to manipulation of energy. I'd love to learn more.

-I wasn't specifically talking about doing baneful workings although that isn't out of the question for me.

The main reason why this is of sudden importance to me is a reaction to a spirit attack I had recently while I slept. (I discussed it in detail in the Old Hag thread in the myths and legends section). I had thought that I had adequately set up protections after tapping the bone earlier that day, but the severity of the attack seems to suggest otherwise. But I discussed in the other thread, I feel it may have been a lesson from my ancestors that I need to learn how to protect myself better and not get lazy about setting boundaries and cleansing myself (since I had literally JUST asked them to teach me more about spirit work in my tradition). So I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I go any deeper, though the experience itself taught me quite a bit.

How exactly do you get a name out of spirit if they aren't audibly speaking to you, because at this point, my main ways of communicating with the spirits are through the tarot and runes and the various predetermined signs in nature. Those methods have been goosebump-inducing at times (asking who is there and drawing "The Ancestor" card from my wildwood deck, for example. Or asking for a knock on the wall for a confirmation, and then immediately hearing one. Enough to make this novice sit up and take notice). I don't know if it's the norm for trad witches to see and speak directly to spirits (because those that do seem to pretty hush about it, I suspect), but I'm certainly not to that point yet, beyond being able to see auras and energy and "sense" presences. The dark entity that I encountered in the recent attack was the most vivid and straightforward contact that I've ever actually had with any spirit, making it both terrifying and exciting.

Nevertheless, the spirits certainly find their way to get the point across to me.

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 11 January 2016 - 12:50 AM.

#5 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:41 AM

It sounds to me as if you are a competent reader.....and thus this should be useful to you, although it isn't what I do.

There is published work called, "The Witches Workbook," by Ann Grammery. ISBN: 671-78287-8

You may have to look around to find it, but this author has published a direct method of divining spirits' names using cards :)

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#6 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:49 AM

Excellent. I'll check it out, thanks. I'm devouring all the books I can get my hands on right now

#7 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

ImamSua- mostly looking for opinions and discussion and experience from people that know what they are doing (since I do not! Lol)

Aurelian- that's one of the most informative and useful rundowns of spiritwork that I've yet to read. Thank you for taking the time to answer and clearing some things up for me.

-Tai Chi, it's interesting you should bring that up, as I just was thinking earlier this week out of the blue about taking it up. I studied Japanese martial arts for many years and it was my first introduction to manipulation of energy. I'd love to learn more.

-I wasn't specifically talking about doing baneful workings although that isn't out of the question for me.

The main reason why this is of sudden importance to me is a reaction to a spirit attack I had recently while I slept. (I discussed it in detail in the Old Hag thread in the myths and legends section). I had thought that I had adequately set up protections after tapping the bone earlier that day, but the severity of the attack seems to suggest otherwise. But I discussed in the other thread, I feel it may have been a lesson from my ancestors that I need to learn how to protect myself better and not get lazy about setting boundaries and cleansing myself (since I had literally JUST asked them to teach me more about spirit work in my tradition). So I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I go any deeper, though the experience itself taught me quite a bit.

How exactly do you get a name out of spirit if they aren't audibly speaking to you, because at this point, my main ways of communicating with the spirits are through the tarot and runes and the various predetermined signs in nature. Those methods have been goosebump-inducing at times (asking who is there and drawing "The Ancestor" card from my wildwood deck, for example. Or asking for a knock on the wall for a confirmation, and then immediately hearing one. Enough to make this novice sit up and take notice). I don't know if it's the norm for trad witches to see and speak directly to spirits (because those that do seem to pretty hush about it, I suspect), but I'm certainly not to that point yet, beyond being able to see auras and energy and "sense" presences. The dark entity that I encountered in the recent attack was the most vivid and straightforward contact that I've ever actually had with any spirit, making it both terrifying and exciting.

Nevertheless, the spirits certainly find their way to get the point across to me.

I've had a spirit with me since I was 22. It was a visual thing, I saw an image that's typically used for her and was instantly drawn to it. She's been with me all these years but I didn't actually start "working" with her (I don't know how else to say it) until 2012. She never left though, she just waited.

Another spirit I began working with in 2012, I met through meditation. I instantly knew who he was because I had been studying him. That seems to be the norm for me. I started doing research on a spirit a year later and the name of a different spirit kept coming up. I researched her, but put the info aside because I wasn't interested. A few days later I was "attacked" by an insect which is closely associated with her. It also bore her sacred color. So, I knew who it was and yeah, eventually got the hint.

Another spirit came to me in a dream. And it was interesting because in the dream, I was about to get killed. She came out of nowhere and saved my life. Not everyone is the same, but for me, a lot of things are visual. I figure out who the spirit is by doing extensive research and paying attention to symbols because for me, that's how they appear.

As for protection - I use frankincense and dragon's blood incense. The dragon's blood I've stopped using because it always goes out in my spiritual room. Not sure if the spirit's don't like it or maybe it's just too strong. I also have God's Eyes hung up. I had an issue with a negative entity who was upstairs staring down at me (I'm in the basement) but it wouldn't come downstairs. I think it's because of all the protection. I got rid of it through smudging.

I've never had an issue with smudging and the spirits I work with nor my ancestors.

#8 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:44 AM

Now I really have to laugh because everytime I use Dragon's Blood incense on my altar, it won't stay lit. Sometimes it sparks and or flickers when I light it. It's the only incense I have that does it. I thought I just had a bad batch.

#9 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

So, do you guys try to force it or do you take the hint?

It could just be a bad batch of incense Or it could be that dragon's blood is the wrong incense for what you're doing. If you're using it to call the Dead - perhaps they don't feel like showing up just then.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#10 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

~ I think it'll be easier to just answer within the full quote. You bring up a lot of really good questions.

I know (all too well) about the importance of protecting yourself and setting boundaries when working with spirits. But I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about the best ways to do that. What's really confusing to me is it seems like some of the measures we take against harmful spirits and entities might also be a barrier to the spirits that we DO want to work with.
~ Good catch. There are very few things that only have one purpose or use. And yes, what will block spirits will block spirits - even if you want them there. Usually. There's not too many hard and fast rules within the Craft.

For example, if I'm smudging my house to get rid of negative energy and then I do spellwork in the house, have I "undone" the smudge? Is smudging going to mess with the ancestral altar I have set up? Does it target the negative energies only or can I give permission to some spirits to stick around?
~ That depends on what you use to smudge. Are you simply getting rid of the negativity or blasting the entire area clean? I've found that sage smudge repels the negative (along with being better than Lysol!) Once the smoke clears - it hasn't seemed to bother my Ancestors at all.

You can give all the permission you want but if it is a spirit that reacts to the banishing and repelling nature of the sage - your permission is useless. By giving that permission - you allow it to return once the smoke clears.

Smudge won't undo spellwork. Spirits and spells are completely different energies and energetic currents.

The same question applies to dragon's blood or frankincense or any other fragrance that is meant to purify a space. I've seen these included in spellbooks on a regular basis both to banish and summon and I've wondered why you would use these things to repel spirits one minute and to attract them the next.
~ It depends on what you're attracting. Let's use frankincense and myrrh. Commonly used in churches the world over. (Has anyone noticed that most of the banishing herbs and resins are also quite anti-microbial?) Calling a Saint to attend a service while repelling a negative entity speaks to the nature of the spirit - not so much the nature of the incense.

Same goes for things like hematite, tourmaline and other protective amulets....if I'm wearing something like that to protect myself, do I remove it when I'm working with my ancestors or doing spellwork? Does it make me vulnerable to remove it while doing a working or am I hindering my own energy by wearing it?
~ But now you're getting into the difference between the natural properties of the stones and the manipulated properties that the witch can play with. Depending on the witch - if you call blind and deaf vulnerable - then yes.

Depends on what the amulet is protecting against. I knew one 'ghost hunter' that had an amazing Saint Medallion guarded against demons and baneful spirits. The talisman itself was rather amazing and powerful! It's not too often you come across a priest that can wield like that. I was seriously impressed. It didn't repel spirits from the location - just from attaching to him. It also didn't stop them from following him - just from harming him.

I remove my hematite before spellwork. But it can also be used as a battery to store and change energy to power them.

Tourmaline is just repellent.

And how come salt and cascarilla seem to be used for both repelling spirits and creating space for spirits to work in, etc.? I've seen folks that keep salt on their working altars at all times but that seems counterproductive to me...wouldn't you only want salt present when you wanted those doors to be closed?
~ I do, but it's in a closed container. The container was open while I was 'doing my thing'. Now it's my super duper salt.

Using salt as a barrier is like putting up a wall or a cell. If you create a circle from salt - whatever is inside it or manifested inside of it will stay inside and whatever is outside of it will remain outside. That's the working theory. Salt is of the earth. if you're working with earth elemental type spirits - it doesn't seem to bother them in the least. Human spirits - yeah.

I've read things that say "make sure your chakras are activated to make your spells more powerful" and other things that say activating your chakras makes you vulnerable to possession or attack from spiritual entities. (I'm not sure that I buy into the chakra thing anyways so this is especially confusing to me). I suppose you could say the same thing about any sort of trance work as well.
~ It's an ancient and valid system. It's also one of many. I don't work with chakras, per say. I work with what I call energy centers. They're quite similar and loosely line up. Different cultures from different parts of the world have similar systems. I think there is something to it but it's really not 'my thing'.

Basically, it just means to make sure you don't have any blockages or the magic won't flow correctly through you. Trance work can be a powerful tool for clearing out those blockages.

I understand that a lot of these misunderstandings might be from Wiccan/new agey stuff workings it's way into the things I'm reading, but I'm trying to weed it out and establish some good habits for protecting myself. Even the non-Wiccan material seems to contradict itself a lot when it comes to this. Feel free to correct me if I'm thinking about this all wrong because at this point, it's not making a lot of sense to me.
~ Look to where it comes from. What time, century, culture, part of the world, etc. It usually makes much more sense in the larger context.

~ There's a certain amount of risk you take every morning when you get out of bed, cross the street, drive to the supermarket, etc.

Yes and no. If all you try to work with is what is found within yourself - you'll burn out real quick. But, if it's not from within - you'll never find it without. You have the deep well within yourself but you also have the rivers of energy flowing through you. You can have them flow into you and pool up (not good) or through you and use that like an old wood mill with the spinning water powered wheel.

#11 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

So, do you guys try to force it or do you take the hint?

It could just be a bad batch of incense Or it could be that dragon's blood is the wrong incense for what you're doing. If you're using it to call the Dead - perhaps they don't feel like showing up just then.

I borrowed some from my sister and it happened with her batch as well so I took the hint. The problem with the incense is only in my spiritual room. I can burn it in other areas of my house and have no problem at all.

#12 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

RR & Aina. I'm in a small apartment and my space has to work double (and triple and quadruple) duty. My working altar is the coffee table in the center of my living room where I do just about everything and I keep things stored in its shelves below (my incense, candles, herbs, oils). I guess you could say I "took the hint" because I don't light the Dragon's blood when I'm doing divination or wanting helpful spirits around. But I do burn it when I want my meditation time to free of outside influence, or right before I sleep (because I sleep in the living room a lot).

There are some times that I don't mind my dreams being influenced by spirits, because dream work has been a useful tool for me. But lately, I've been playing it safe after the old hag attack and have been burning the dragon's blood nightly before bed. My dreams have been uneventful and unmemorable lately.

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 11 January 2016 - 04:53 PM.

#13 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

Smudging is very basic. It banishes the little astral nasties and energetic residue more then banishing spirits. You can banish a spirit with smudge but it takes more work then what most people do.

Intention plays a large role here. Some things may also differ in different traditions too - for example, I work heavily with plant spirits, so when I smudge I ask the spirit of the herbs I am using to protect me in the way I want. The scents of the herbs also have a physical/chemical effect on your brain that is beneficial for working with spirits and keeping your mood up and mind focused.

Many people think of smudges as clearing and blessing at the same time, while you can use your intention to focus on one or the other, and some plants specialize more on one then the other, generally a smudge can be used for both if you want.

As far as chakras.... They are always activated unless your chakra is dead somehow. What changes is how healthy or unhealthy or how active one is (not whether it is active, but how active). Usually what people call activating a chakra I would call maintaining, healing or taking care of your chakras. A healthy chakra is less vulnerable then a damaged or weak one.

Mostly with smudges I think of them like taking a good shower and putting on some good perfume or scents. It keeps you clean energetically and attractive energetically to the spirits you want to attract. When you are energetically clean you can also protect yourself better - dirty energy can create weakness for other spirits to exploit.

#14 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

I think there are a lot of questions in the OP, and that many good thoughts have already been shared. I'll pick on a few points.

The way I see it, the spirits I work with and that I want around me, as Aurelian says, should have a place for them - and an ongoing relationship. If the relation is there, then those spirits are your allies and they won't be scared away by some smudging. Spirits who know you, or whom you are calling upon, will consider that too, not only their aversion to the substance. They should help in the preparation of the ritual. Their presence should be acknowledged. On the other hand, I understand the need to protect your space. I've been living in flats for ages.
One thing that I do is to operate (especially if that is the place where I sleep) in a circle. To me that means a space that is, of course, purified but also populated by friendly presences that help me build my magic. During purification I ask them to assist, before I draw the circle I acknowledge their presence wetting with milk the corners of my house. When I draw the circle, at the Western point, I always leave an offer of milk, or wine and bread or nuts

One thing that I learned about working in small space, is that seasonal long-term works of purification and protection work better than the daily smudge. I know everyone has it's approach. I personally do four big works a year which involve deep cleansing, spiritual scrubbing and general protection. The spell always produces a 'clue' that's hung out or hidden next to my door. This is something that is done with the spirits who hang around my house, and it is also an occasion to renew my bond with them.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#15 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

I'm in a small apartment and my space has to work double (and triple and quadruple) duty. My working altar is the coffee table in the center of my living room where I do just about everything

And mine is on top of my piano, in front of my foyer closet cuz there's no where else at the moment. LOL

https://www.facebook...?type=3

I can't wait to get back into the closet - especially since temps have dropped into the teens LOL

It looks like a decorative vignette but I'm sure you can all pick out the alter things that make it what it is.

#16 SororMIMM

SororMIMM

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:33 AM

And mine is on top of my piano, in front of my foyer closet cuz there's no where else at the moment. LOL

https://www.facebook...?type=3

I can't wait to get back into the closet - especially since temps have dropped into the teens LOL

It looks like a decorative vignette but I'm sure you can all pick out the alter things that make it what it is.

It's beautiful, RoseRed! Liked your page as well! :-)

#17 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:04 AM

I probably have an unpopular position, I don't like working with spirits at all, so i just throw up the pyres and walls and if they make it through I deal with them as they come. I've noticed that the entities that make it through are typically not malevolent although if a nasty shows up it's because of something I actually did, intentionally or not. Normally I restrict these protections to my personal spaces, mundane and Other. To give an actual rundown of how I use them would be extremely counterproductive on a publicly accessed forum like this one. What I can tell you is that in my experience the protections I place that are not physical are far more important than salt or sigils ever could be.
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#18 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

So fucking true!

#19 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

That makes sense, Caps.

It probably also helps explain why the really good protection magick is so hard to find info about.

#20 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

In the tradition I study they encourage you not to build walls.... They say this weakens you over time. One way to think of it is that when you wash your hands all the time your immune system actually becomes more susceptible to germs and bacteria because your immune system never gets strong from dealing with challenges....

Instead of separating yourself from the world around you they teach harmony.

One method they use to reach harmony is to "digest" disharmonious energy with their stomachs. Just like digesting food you separate the nectar from the waste inside of the energy and you keep the nectar while letting out the waste to the earth (so the earth can eat it and turn it into life). When I asked one of the healers what he does if someone sent him a spiritual attack he just smiled and said "I thank them for the good meal."

This is part of the reason I dont recommend regular banishing rituals - I think you end up banishing energy that would help you as often as you banish other energies and think the area gets too sterile....