• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

Well the premise is that everything has been done already, but everyones view is unique. Thats a pretty good point of view for me because I am always stuck on the idea that I have to have a 100% new idea or its just going to be compared to other art thats similar and mine wont measure up. What I should be thinking is my painting of X is just as valid as anyones because art is not about who does it first or best. Its about my personal view. Plus if you really think about it when you look at someones art do you really think of every other bit of art over the same theme? No, you see that piece of art and you decide if it resonates with you or not. I thought it was a pretty good book. Short enough to read in one go, maybe 2. I would reread it. It can be applied to more than just art, but really anything creative that you do.

#22 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

hi anara! Thanks for your kind words and I also love the creative folk on this site. Yes I looked at and studied the artist way a few years ago and I have artistic work as part of my life all the time (although it does wax and wane). I think those workbooks can be super helpful to push your self into creating. I have paintings on my walls that I have been creating/adding to/changing for years based on what I am going through as well as what I feel I need spirtually (and for healing). Right now I have a big blank canvas on the wall in my kitchen that has a couple of scribbles on it. I make sure to have a pencil/pens right next to it so I can add stuff when the mood strikes me (which for me is when I am feeling grounding and connected to the energy/beings around me). Often image will come while I am doing a tarot reading for example. I have a sense or feeling (and some images) of what it will turn into AND I am also using it to push me into research ukrainian folk art (which is part of the roots of my herditary witch lines).

I love this string for how it is pushing me to think about the connection between art and witchcraft..as you can see by the meandering I do in the above paragraph :sunny: I am still kind of unclear about it all. And sometimes trying to connect with the art inside me feels like : :wallbash: . lol. and thx for the book reference moonshadowe, I am going to check it out.
temperance

#23 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

and moonshadowe, I so agree with the feeling of not wanting to copy or reproduce other folks images (weirdly I thought I was alone in that feeling)...I actually am quite silly about it all and rarely spend much time looking at other people's art because if it is something I resonate with/touches me I have a helleva time getting the image out of my head to find what I want to create. I am trying to push myself with this new painting I started a week ago by purposefully looking at tons of slavic folk art (including the amazing images on ukrianian easter eggs - which are mostly pagan btw not christian) to get ideas that I can incorporate. But I am nervous that I will overwhelm myself with all the images and create this painting that is just a pieced together act of robbery. lol.
temperance

#24 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

I mentioned it in another post somewhere on here I read this book called "Steal Like an Artist" and it helps get over the feeling you are ripping off other peoples art by exploring the same subject matter. Its really helping me with that. Good luck with your painting and I would like to see it when you have it finished (if you want to share). The subject matter sounds interesting. Maybe consider designing a Ukrainian folk art tarot card, or entire deck if you are feeling ambitious. :)

#25 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

thanks moonshadowe :vhappywitch: , just placed a hold on it from the library! look forward to having a look.