• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

Here is some of my artwork. I am taking kind of a break from it right now. I have an anxiety disorder and sometimes it gets overwhelming and causes it to be nearly impossible for me to create. So this stuff is fairly recent. From the past few years until about last summer.
Illustrations
Sketches

I made paper mache and clay miniatures and sculptures but I lost mt flickr account where I had them posted. Maybe more to come later on. ;)

#2 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:31 AM

Very nice. I love looking at artwork, probably because I can't draw anything, not even a straight line.

#3 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thank you. Very kind of you to say. I really believe anyone can learn to draw. :)

#4 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

Excellent work. Are the illustrations done on computer or by hand? I'm not sure what the correct terminology is for art done on computer. My husband animates some. I do some work using traditional media. Anyway, the illustrations look like they were rendered digitally as opposed to some physical medium like paint or marker if that clarifies what I'm asking. I know there are also "sketch" programs, at first I thought it was all digital but it's hard to tell with the sketches? (OMG using a phone to post is a nightmare. I edited this repeatedly because autocorrect was "helping" so much it was nonsensical :))

Edited by Oroboros, 21 December 2015 - 05:17 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#5 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

Yes the illustrations are all digital but the sketches are hand drawn. I made a commitment to work in traditional media more about a year ago. I love mixing mediums and seeing what comes out of it. I recently bought a video tutorial called "The Grunge Book" by artist Anne Bagby. She demonstrates making a journal out of an old book from a thrift store. Glue bits of newspapers, mark making and all sorts into a collage then gesso over it and use that as a ground to draw and paint over. I just love mixed media and art thats sort of order out of chaos. So thats what I am working on right now. When I get a few more pages in my book I will post some.

#6 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

I'd like to see it. Sounds interesting. I've seen work "drawn" on computer and am aware that can be an equally painstaking process. I don't think one approach is better or worse, or one things is more "art" than another. As far as I'm concerned it is just another medium. If you are new-ish to paint I would consider trying acrylics. It takes a lot more patience to work in oil than acrylic because you have to keep waiting for what you have applied to dry. And oils take a very long time to dry. It's all just a matter of preference I suppose, but amongst paint I find acrylic the most user friendly. Oil pastels are similar in some ways but really a whole different animal altogether. They actually NEVER dry completely. So what you have is what you have. You can mix and blend and layer indefinitely. On the other hand you can never layer with the same differentiation as with paint as there will always be some small amount of leaching of colors between layers. Depending on techniques less or more but always some. And pastel has to be covered carefully because it never dries completely and can be smudged. I like that paint can be hung on canvas as is and once it's dry is fairly hearty and not "smudgable".

Blah blah blah- sorry. :). I love the idea of mixed media and some of the results I have seen others achieve, but have only explored that in a couple areas myself.

#7 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

HAHA! Omg you are like me. Get me started on art and I can go on forever! I think any way a person can make art is great. I love everything from just mark making, to collage, fiber art, painting whatever. Love it all. I think digital art is brilliant, but to me traditional art is a whole lot harder. There really is no smoke and mirrors when you are working traditional. Thats exactly why I stay way from oils. I will, with 100% sureness, drag my hand through wet oil paint and ruin my work and probably the sleeve of my shirt while I'm at it. I have some oil pastels that I use in a book just for oil pastels. I use baby oil to blend with. it is a little on the messy side. And yeah it does smudge and leech and bleh, thinking of it I am not sure why I keep bothering with it, but every once in a while I break them out and mess around. I have a couple of pretty decent successes. Some of them, not so much. So far my favorite mediums are acylic, gesso, ink and watercolor. I like anything that cleans up pretty easy and I have half a chance of getting out of my clothes. Except ink. Thats pretty much forever. ;)

#8 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

your art is beautiful! and art is also a big part of my life. I paint with acryllic (my profile icon is one of my paintings) and I love to sketch but barely spend anytime on it.

#9 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

Very talented, Temperance. I am really glad to be surrounded by so many creative people here. I am actually wondering (maybe this is for a different thread) if any of you bring your artwork into your craft? I have some ideas for this and I think it would make my craftwork more personal. Sort of like making your own tools. Or thats my theory. Just a thought.

#10 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

I'd like to see it. Sounds interesting. I've seen work "drawn" on computer and am aware that can be an equally painstaking process. I don't think one approach is better or worse, or one things is more "art" than another. As far as I'm concerned it is just another medium. If you are new-ish to paint I would consider trying acrylics. It takes a lot more patience to work in oil than acrylic because you have to keep waiting for what you have applied to dry. And oils take a very long time to dry. It's all just a matter of preference I suppose, but amongst paint I find acrylic the most user friendly. Oil pastels are similar in some ways but really a whole different animal altogether. They actually NEVER dry completely. So what you have is what you have. You can mix and blend and layer indefinitely. On the other hand you can never layer with the same differentiation as with paint as there will always be some small amount of leaching of colors between layers. Depending on techniques less or more but always some. And pastel has to be covered carefully because it never dries completely and can be smudged. I like that paint can be hung on canvas as is and once it's dry is fairly hearty and not "smudgable".

Blah blah blah- sorry. :). I love the idea of mixed media and some of the results I have seen others achieve, but have only explored that in a couple areas myself.

#11 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

hey moonshadow, what a great question and it's allowing me to begin to articulate how I feel about it...I feel like my artwork IS my craft. I can't separate it from witchcraft and the way that I paint, often putting up a blank canvas on the wall and slowly adding to it (sometimes over years) and creating something, is always linked with a combination of my tarot readings (images often come to me during tarot), grounding and things going on in my life. My artwork is a healing tool for me....

#12 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

.I feel like my artwork IS my craft

That is a very interesting way of looking at it. I struggle with creative blocks often. When I was not practicing my craft I often felt this frustration over a disconnected feeling I had, especially where my art was concerned. Like my creativity was blocked because I was intentionally blocking part of myself. Does that make sense? For years any time I had any feelings that were spiritual in nature in any way I just stamped them down and pushed them away and I feel like I suffered from it. I guess time will tell, but I am already feeling much more positive.

#13 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

I struggle with those same blocks. for me, I've learned if I am not grounded then no images come to me. But, I also struggle with being overwhelmed by ideas/images and never doing anything with them. i try to tell myself that if it's art that needs to be captured (recorded/shared) then it will return to me (although I sometimes feel like I am saying that just to make myself feel better. LOL). I feel like my creativity waxes and wanes all the time and I sometimes get really pissed at myself and sometimes just accept that it works that way. I think there are a lot of messages out there that also discourage us from connecting spiritual with art too

#14 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

Nice work.

I liked the Witch on the Moon the most, but I must admit that at first glance I thought the Moon has his tongue, umm, somewhere, but then I realized it was not that, lol.

#15 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

I have the same issues with my creativity that comes and goes. I have come to the conclusion everyone is like that. The best way I have found to get through the dry spells is to just do something anyway. I save my sketches in a big binder and when I dont feel very creative I can flip through it and get inspired by or at least say hey this stuff is pretty ok so what are you freaking out over? Then I make myself start doodling and get out of my block, which for me is the fear of making terrible art and being ridiculed. Silly right?

I thought the Moon has his tongue, umm, somewhere, but then I realized it was not that, lol.

haha Well actually, it is. lol sorry. Umm yeah. *blush* Well I had this assignment to reinvent an existing commercial illustration in a style of my choice. So I picked the Miller High Life logo (I always liked it as a little kid) and crossed it with lowbrow art. I found quite a few of the class assignments to be boring and I had to go pretty far out to be inspired. I half ass expected my instructor to reject the assignment or boot me out of class but I actually got a good grade on it. lol

#16 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

LOL, so my eyes were not playing tricks on me then.

#17 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:22 PM

Very talented, Temperance. I am really glad to be surrounded by so many creative people here. I am actually wondering (maybe this is for a different thread) if any of you bring your artwork into your craft? I have some ideas for this and I think it would make my craftwork more personal. Sort of like making your own tools. Or thats my theory. Just a thought.

Yes, I think any one of us that are of the creative variety (which is probably mostly all of us in one sense or another), tend to bring our art into our "craft".

I like your sketches, especially the first & last one.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#18 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

@TemperanceMoon & Moonshadowe

Have either of you ever heard of "The Artists Way" by Julia Cameron? It has been a long time since I read that one, but I remember it had some great ideas in it on how to overcome temporary mental artistic blocks.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#19 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:50 PM

I have heard of it but opted for a different book called "Steal Like an Artist". Its very specific in that it helps overcome blocks based on your art not being unique enough, which is usually my problem.

#20 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

I have heard of it but opted for a different book called "Steal Like an Artist". Its very specific in that it helps overcome blocks based on your art not being unique enough, which is usually my problem.

I checked it out on amazon-this could be a helpful one for me right now, actually, so I may pick up a copy. I have been toying with the idea of doing some more canvas painting based on some work I have been doing for a little over a year now, with a specific tradition's books. The problem I am having is that I don't want to produce something that is imitative -that would miss the whole point for me. Unless I can come up with something really unique and from my own soul and experiences-I won't do it at all. The influence, however, can show through in the work-that's probably unavoidable. Maybe I'll do some additional reading then and we shall see what happens. :)