• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

Man, I have enough yarn to wrap it around the world a few times! I am a craft supply hoarder. By this, I mean any little bit or bobble that I can imagine using creatively, gets stored. Its a psychosis Im sure.:)
In fact- this is amusing to me at least. In my profile i state I am an "avid crafter", which now makes me feel like a giant poser, because in the context of this site, I now realize that sounds like I'm saying I'm some master caster (NOT). I was actually referring to crafts crafts. lol, oh well:)

Anyway, I have not been able to get in to crochet. I LOVE some of the "open" ?(is that the term) stitches- where it has a loose lacy look. I have seen shawls done like this I am very covetous of. I have done a little with a loom, and had better success with this. I think the problem is Im a bit of an instant gratification type. With other things I can see significant progression fairly quickly, even if the over all project is slow and tedious.

I think though you could almost trance out while doing that all the while directing energy- it sounds like a VERY good idea and very effective. I have made macrame knotted witch's ladders- which I love, but that is a much smaller scale. I wonder if this is discussed in an existing thread anywhere?

@Moonshadow- don't apologize, i can't think of anything better than a good conversation coming out of this thread, 3 pics can only be interesting for so many posts:).

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#22 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

That lacy crochet is Clones Lace (Irish crochet) and it really is beautiful. I tried to make a lace border once and it looked like the work of a drunken spider, but I still thought it was pretty- missed stitches and all.

I too am a craft hoarder. I dabble in most crafts. Luckily a lot of them have the same paraphernalia. Still with that in mind I got into making Halloween/ horror themed miniatures and dolls about a year ago and that just demands all kinds of crap. I started stashing all sorts of random crap because it could become X. I had to dial it back when my husband developed a facial tick. ;)

But back on the subject, I really love this idea. I have always had a thing when I am working on art to burn incense, listen to music or whatever to get my mindset for the piece I'm working on. I don't see that at all being a far cry from working my art into a spell since it would be similar to that channeling of focus. For some reason the idea of crochet or weaving really speaks to me. Maybe because it is literally weaving? But I have encountered what I believe to be a magical or cursed painting. The effect it had on me was profound, so I really thing a painting could be used, beyond a doubt. Of course I also think modeling/ sculpting would work well. My sister brought a voodoo doll back from a trip to New Orleans that was hand modeled head with pennies for eyes and crossed sticks for arms and body. I just loved that thing.

#23 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

I don't suppose your using polymer clay to make your miniatures?(rubs hands together, demented grin)... That stuff is so much fun. I've only dabbled in it but I love it. Of course I'd love to have a wheel and a kiln for the real thing, but you know "limits" and all.

Prior to this, I have heard weaving and spinning discussed frequently in use as a magical operation. Not just for the great metaphor, but pretty much as we are discussing. I've also heard of quilting being used this way, believe it or not. The idea being a mantra going in to each stitch. Of course "knot" magic is loosely tied here (hem:)). And the voodoo doll is a great example of this. However, for some reason I had not considered the obvious - that this could be applied in most arts and crafts not just those with traditional ties.

This makes me think beyond energy and intent being embued as a part of the working the piece- other things as well. Blood or bits of related herb or other material mixed in to clay or even paint. Plant bits or hair woven into thread. The doll or poppet traditionally lent it to this type of incorporation, but it seems(hehem) so could anything else .

#24 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

I just had a thought. You could scatter a whole spell into the fold of a hem.. And the garment wearer would be "surrounded" by it.

#25 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

There are several older threads about crochet, knitting, weaving and witches ladders. The search function here hates me.

Technically, knit and crochet fall under knot magic. Each stitch is a knot in itself. Even Christian Prayer Shawls fall under that. Sure, you can do mantras if that's what makes you happy. I generally don't.

Crafting and crafting go together like peanut butter and jelly or cookies and milk. It's very difficult to do one without the other.

There's all types of lacy open crochet work. Irish lace is stunning but intricate.

----------------------------------

Into the hem - great idea. Don't forget the weaving of ribbons, the sewing stitches of appliques, all of it can be Crafted whiled you're crafting.

--------------------------

Magical paintings are rather amazing.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#26 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

I feel like a kid in a candy store, my two obsessions become one.:) You'd think the fact that I've always been stealing shit from my craft area to do the small amount of spell work I have done, might have clued me into this the rest of the way. Oh well most of my epiphanies come with a side of "duh".

#27 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:44 PM

Fear not, you are not the only one who has problems with the obvious escaping them. "Why didn't I think of that?" is my mantra.

I use polymer clay mostly for doll making. (I do love a creepy doll!) For some reason with miniatures paper mache is my thing. But I do love polymer clay and was just dreaming up new ways to use it. namely in wand making it could be used in place of hot glue for those nifty swirls and whatnots. I saw some wands on pinterest made from resin that made me debates its uses. You can bake that stuff on about anything so I'm pretty sure it would work. I know what you mean about wishing for a kiln. How many times have I said that? Also thought about experimenting with a small pit firing set up but I am not sure I could get it hot enough for the clay I have found in the shop here. (Just did a google search for how hot you can get a wood fire, maybe I could after all. ;) ) I have a supply of air dry clay here, though its pretty fragile by comparison. I suppose you could use it for personal spellcraft to get by with. You could easily add things to it, or what I would do is add it to the hollow bits in the center that you fill up with armature. Like in the chest cavity you could add hair, nails, herbs, stones etc then wrap your foil around that and bulk it out to where you need it. Get what I mean? Well assuming you make a human or animal type doll, or other object thicker than lets say an inch or so. You could do it for polymer clay also since the bake temp is so low. Most things would not survive kiln firing I think. I got a new type of polymer clay (have to see if I can find the box it came in) it dries to about the texture of bone or eggshell and is really easy to sculpt, pretty soft and creamy. I just love it.

This whole conversation has me revved up to go make something..or many somethings. I need to call my landlord and light a fire under his ass to get my oven fixed already. It makes me sad I havent baked any clay in almost 2 months now. :(

#28 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:58 PM

This is a doll I made. He has a polymer clay head, hands and feet and his body is cloth.

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

I lied though, I forgot this miniature diorama. Its a little of everything but the hands are polymer clay.

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Edited by Moonshadowe, 31 December 2015 - 12:07 AM.

#29 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

Wow! You're amazing with the creepy!

Way too creepy for my taste but beautiful! And your techniques and form are stunning.

I miss having a Craft room. Now I have to go rummage through boxes in the attic. (quick rundown for the newer members - moved here just over a year ago and it's been hectic - still trying to get settled in - at least the main floor is mostly done).

So, instead, I've been raiding my kitchen cabinets for Workings. A dear wonderful friend of mine is one hell of a kitchen witch and a whole new world has opened up to me.

And I've been crocheting like crazy with Witchlet, Jr. about to pop out Witchlet, III.

#30 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:31 PM

Oh congratulations! Sounds like a fair bit of nesting. Are you due soon? I know what its like needing a space to craft in. Our house is tiny and I have 3 kids at home (4yo and twin 2 yo). Most of what I do it just trying to keep kids out of my stuff. I have so many projects to work on around here its insane. And ty for the compliments. Creepy is totally my thing. :P

On the subject of kitchen witchery this is something I am really liking atm. I am an advocate of candle magic, so I like to go into the kitchen/garden (yeah our garden hasn't died yet its so warm outside) pull out some herbs/ plants doctor up a candle and let it do its thing. I am the same way with gems and stones. Everything earthy/ natural/ elemental is really calling to me right now. What do they call that..sympathetic magic? Well whatever it is it has my attention.

#31 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

Actually, Witchlet, Jr. is my daughter and she was due 3 days ago. I'm gonna be a Baba any day now. We're still waiting. I guess that would technically make the baby Witchlet, Jr. So many generations and not enough coffee. lol

She's definitely nesting and I'm crocheting my away.

It's such an amazing process - going from Maiden to Mother with one last push and scream.

#32 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:01 PM

Oh wow congrats. Get ready for your whole life to change:). That's wonderful.

#33 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

I bet you are so excited. :) Well best to keep busy and help the time pass. Though my only advice would be sleep while you can. lol

#34 Kaye

Kaye

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:00 AM

These are just photos of the originals so poor quality

PS: The Lion was inspired by Cecil- the lion the arrogant ass doctor poached in Africa this year

These are lovely, I haven't touched oil pastels since school, great work!

#35 Kaye

Kaye

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

Man, I have enough yarn to wrap it around the world a few times! I am a craft supply hoarder. By this, I mean any little bit or bobble that I can imagine using creatively, gets stored. Its a psychosis Im sure. :smile:

I recently de-stashed a bunch of my yarn, I am realising that I'm somewhat of a hobby magpie. I have far too many art supplies and crafting materials and they just seem to multiply when I'm not looking. It's mostly cheap stuff though.

I have used painting to do some internal work though. Pretty much painting out a surrealist version of a trauma to get it out of my head and heal. Might sound silly, but it reminded me of the pensieve from HP. I can view the painting, but I dwell on the memories significantly less. This is something I count as magic work.

#36 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

pulling off a piece I had posted here...It was originally intended as a practice piece. I just looked at the Internet photo I had used as a reference and they are uncomfortably similar.

Edited by Oroboros, 15 June 2016 - 05:35 AM.