35 replies to this topic

#1 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:11 PM

These are just photos of the originals so poor quality

PS: The Lion was inspired by Cecil- the lion the arrogant ass doctor poached in Africa this year

Attached Files

Edited by Oroboros, 09 December 2015 - 04:41 AM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#2 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:22 AM

These are wonderful!

RSKHFMY

#3 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:28 AM

Thank you. It's just fun to me:)

#4 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:38 AM

Realized I posted the incomplete version of the wolf:)

Attached Files

#5 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:53 AM

This is Nanook, my Akita who passed in May. I did a crappy job on his picture because it was too emotional to spend too long on, but I wanted to do it anyway.

Also included is the real Nanook and a "baby" picture.

Not meaning to be morbid, but I know there are some pet lovers so I thought I'd share:).

Attached Files

Edited by Oroboros, 09 December 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#6 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:25 AM

He looks great. I love that name. The Nanooks are actually the mascot of the university up here.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#7 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

@ WOTM -Hey, I visited Alaska this past summer. Beautiful land. Not without its difficulties I'm realize. Was most suprised and riveted by the rainforest, beautiful. Didn't know about the "Nanook's"- makes sense though. Thank you:).

#8 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

Nice work, Oroboros. I think you did a really good job on the wolf.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#9 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

Thank you:).

#10 winterwolf

winterwolf

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:04 PM

These are lovely. I know I'm partial, but I especially love your wolf.

#11 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

These are really great. I love oils, but am afraid to work in them. I have seen some really great looking oil pastel and oil paint combos that make me want to get up the courage. Good stuff. I really love that monochrome room. Atmospheric!

#12 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

Very nice and well done! Do you use a fixative. If you do, what kind works best for OP and Colored Pencil?

#13 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Thank you:)

@AM Damn good question:). I have 4 different fixatives I have been experimenting with. As it sounds like you know, the blessing and curse of oil pastel is it can be re-worked FOREVER. That is so true that there is a piece I want to do for someone else and I can't decide what medium to use because I am concerned about it getting smudged. Just bought myself Derwent inktense to experiment with. (IMO Derwent sucks in general, but this particular product has amazing reviews so I think worth a try.) To answer your question I have a Grumbacher "final fixative" that seems to work well, however my dumb ass bought the gloss finish accidentally and would prefer a satin or probably flat if those are options in that product. Krylov makes a "Workable Fixative" that is nice for certain applications and a Kamar Varnish which is probably best used on paint but seems okay. My favorite so far is Spectrafix for my own stuff, as it is natural yet full archival (made from milk protein and grain alcohol I think). It is my understanding that is or something like it was used by the old masters-so I might be prejudiced by that notion. However it does seem to keep the colors from changing their intensity- which is a problem with most fixatives. It is also good for working over or layering. However, because it is "workable" it is also still possible to smudge, but a lot better than nothing. The bottom line is oil pastel has to be physically protected and when framed needs a matt board or other spacer so it is not resting directly against the glass. All that said. I am a self taught hobbyist -so if you have any ideas do share please!:)

Oh Sennelier- the oil pastel king- makes a fixative I have not tried yet. Im curious about that one. If the quality matches that of their pastels- which I do use sometimes- its probably great.

#14 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

I have only made like 5 practice pieces in this medium before these so Im still figuring it out- to say the least. The animals are all oil pastel except the wolf's eyes, and Cecil's teeth which are pencil. The alley (also known here as the room- which cracks me up and tells me I need to work on my perspective) is about 50/50. If you look at it in a big screen you can see brick detail on the left wall etc, which is done in colored pencil. It is possible to use a solvent and paint brush with oil pastel for detail work, but I prefer the pencil for detail at this stage of my experience with it.

On the topic of materials, in case anyone is interested:) :
Cecil (the lion) was done in cray-pas expressionist and pentel-
You can get a 50 pack of pentel for 20$. I started with those two brands to see if I liked oil pastel (and i love it). My point is if anyone wants to try it and therefore doesn't want to put down 150$ on a set of pastels- those two brands are, IMO by far the best of the student brand pastels and happen to be the cheapest. I think Cray pas junior and pentel are about the same and you really can get the feel of it and create a decent piece with them. I do not think they are archival but Im not sure. Then if you do like it, there are some amazing quality brands out there. (my wallet is painfully aware) Of these Sennelier and Mungyo Gallery artist soft oil pastels are my favorite. (regular mungyo gallery is a completely different animal and cheaper- I would NOT recommend the cheaper ones of this brand. They are significantly more expensive than the aforementioned student quality brands and not as good I don't think. Conversely, the artist grade Mungyo gallery are awesome, cheaper than Sennelier or Holbein but almost as good.

Just thought Id share in case anyone is interested in dabbling:).

Edited by Oroboros, 28 December 2015 - 05:39 PM.

#15 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

I used to be friends with a famous artist and he used acrylics as a base and detailed with colored pencil (Prismacolor) and he got the most amazing detailed paintings. I can really see why you would like pencil better than detailing with a brush. Finer details and I'm sure much faster. I use water color pencils over my ink stuff sometimes and get pretty good details. One day I would love a set of expensive pencils. Right now I'm using Koh I Nor aquarelle and they are pretty good for the cheap cost.

#16 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

i have heard other people say good things about the Koh I Nors. I think they are considered a well kept secret by some - as far as quality for price goes.

#17 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:29 PM

Beautiful work.

Do you ever use your artwork in your magical practice?

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#18 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

@RR thank you:)

Not really. I have not even considered it frankly. The only thing along those lines I have done is drawn an image as something is and another demonstrating changes I wanted to see manifest- but it was really really far from "art" :). It was one step up from stick figure because I was focused on just making the point. However, the idea of using all that energy and focus that goes into a piece as a way to focus intent seems like a good idea. What do you think?

#19 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

Thats an interesting idea RR. I've never used a full on painting in magic. I have used my drawing skills in talismanic magic and to make elaborate circles for ceremonial magic. Right now I am doing a bit of stitch witchery I consider art. Sorry for jumping in on your thread O. This almost warrants a thread all of its own. :)

#20 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

I don't paint and I rather suck at even stick figures but I do crochet. Can you imagine the amount of magic that you can weave into every single stitch, or in this case, brush stroke?

There are so many different ways and techniques that can be used for magical work within our artistic abilities.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.