- - - - -

Sybil Leek's Book of Curses (1975)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:01 AM

Sybil Leek's Book of Curses. 1975. 172 pp.

Not too long ago, I won this book on e-Bay (hardcover with dust jacket). I had wanted to acquire the book for some time; however, could not find much about it so I waited to try to find it at a reasonable price just in case it was a stinker. I thought, "A book just about curses?"--should be good.

In this book, Leek describes curses in history and literature, how to cast spells and remove them, and sprinkles throughout some individual experiences and personal stories. I found the book to be an enjoyable enough read; however, I have read a lot of the stories elsewhere and the spellwork was philosophical, general and kind of elementary. And, Sybil Leek talking Voodoo--just plain weird, if you ask me.

13 Chapters include Man--Victim and Victor; Blood Curses to Waxen Images; Candle Power Can Be Curse Power; Fatal Curses; Skeletons in the Cupboard; Secret Societies; Eccentric Vows; The Curse in Literature; Compacts with the Devil; Righteous Curses; Hexology; Voodoo; and Black Magic Blues :cool: .

I have to admit that I will not be referring to this book whenever I want to cook up a little "something," however, it will be a nice addition to my occult library as a vintage Sybil Leek collectible.

Some excepts from the book:

Chapter 2, Blood Curse to Waxen Images: Wax figures were popular with lovers who wished to enchant the object of their love. Wax figures then passed into Western Europe and England, and in the Middle Ages were popular among black magicians. Models were made of the person to whom harm was wished; the figures were then hung in the chimney not too close to the fire. Gradually, the wax melted and as this happened, the living object of the figure also wasted away. In order to make the curse more disagreeable, pins were stuck in the figure before it was hung in the chimney, as a guarantee that all living hours would be agonizing and death very painful. p 22.

Chapter 3, Candle Power Can Be Curse Power: This is called the Seven African Power candle. Seven is a magical number in itself, and thus adds to the vibrations of the candle flames. This candle functions on all levels--mental, physical and spiritual--and is used in times of extreme crisis. It is often used by groups gathered together to achieve a particular goal, though it can be used by an individual to effect a difficult curse or blessing. p 27.

Chapter 6, Secret Societies: In the old religion of witchcraft, in my young days, our initiation oath was taken with a lifetime commitment. Later, in the hierarchy of witchcraft, I met no one of my generation who would or could break the oath. This is why I do not trust the newer covens whose initiation involves not much more than signing up for a social club. I often receive letters from people who say "I once belonged to a coven but I have decided to join another one and if I do not like this one, perhaps you could tell me of one which might suit me." It is obvious that these people did not take the solemn oath, otherwise, they would not be wandering around "looking for something to suit them." p 72.

Chapter 10, Righteous Curses: When any house, shop or inn rejected a gypsy, he always left a hieroglyph on a nearby wall. Many people interpreted this as a curse, but actually it was a warning to other gypsies to tell them that they could expect trouble. p 122.

Chapter 11, Hexology: Actually, I like to wear jade both as an ornament and a protection. Whenever any of my animals are sick, I put an antique jade bead on a silk cord and hang it around the neck of the afflicted animal. p 132. ... Take care in falling for the idea of wearing your birthday stone all the time. It is fine to do so if your sun has no adverse aspects. If you have bad aspects to the sun, then wearing the ring will attract even more bad luck toward you. p 136.

Chapter 12, Voodoo: If a curse has, indeed, been placed on a person, then the one perpetuating it has a degree of power. Tamper with the course of that power and the symptoms will manifest themselves even more drastically. p 150.

#2 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:12 AM

[quote name='53rdspirit']Sybil Leek's Book of Curses. 1975. 172 pp.

I have to admit that I will not be referring to this book whenever I want to cook up a little "something," however, it will be a nice addition to my occult library as a vintage Sybil Leek collectible.

This sounds like it was a great find and buy. However I wonder why you feel that you will not go back to it for what ever reason. Is it to dark? I am just curious.

#3 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:19 AM

I think this book would be priceless

#4 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:24 AM

Does it mention my.....GOOFER DUST?? LOL! jk jk Sounds like a really really good book.
[URL="http://usamericanpolitics.ning.com/"][/URL]

#5 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:30 AM

I know I would love to have it.....but thats cause I just want to read about how to hex and curse the :patsch: hell out of ppl sometimes lol. :witch:

#6 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:40 AM

I know I would love to have it.....but thats cause I just want to read about how to hex and curse the :patsch: hell out of ppl sometimes lol. :witch:

Baby stick by my side...this witch KNOWS a thing or two about hexing!!! LOL!!! :rofl:

#7 eagleheart75

eagleheart75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:41 AM

Baby stick by my side...this witch KNOWS a thing or two about hexing!!! LOL!!! :rofl:

Oh I know you do just from reading some of your posts and threads lol

#8 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:48 AM

Yeah maybe just a TAD! LOL!!! :rofl:

#9 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

Oh lucky you, I have been trying to get Sybil Leeks books they are actually difficult to find here in the UK aren't they? I do have her book on fortune telling book. Which is very good :)

#10 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

I think I would REALLY like that book!

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#11 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

just found this on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#12 Guest_Dee_*

Guest_Dee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:47 PM

If there is a section on lawyers, pm the specific text to me please. I'll run a quick test and let you know if the book is safe to use or not.

#13 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

If there is a section on lawyers, pm the specific text to me please. I'll run a quick test and let you know if the book is safe to use or not.

LMAO... you are a BAD bad witch!! Leave that poor little ol' lawyer alone... :eek:

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#14 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:55 PM

No, Dee, nothing on lawyers in the book! :rofl:

#15 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

I wonder why you feel that you will not go back to it for what ever reason. Is it too dark? I am just curious.

It's WAY not dark enough and too basic. I work like Anjel (sans so much blood). :P

But it is like LaVey's Compleat Witch --it's a "classic" in my eyes, rather hard to find, a first edition in hardcover with dust jacket, so I have it as a collectible since I am a diehard bibliophile (most fond of occult and herbal books).

#16 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

I work like Anjel (sans so much blood). :P

See???? I'm not the only one who works with blood around here LOL!

Before you know it 53rd...YOU will have a FurryJack as well LOL! :lmao:

#17 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:26 PM

Actually, I purchased a book on Indian crafts recently at a yard sale in Maine that has instructions for making a "FurryJack"! I should post it, but then little FurryJacks would be popping up all over the place, lol. Although people would still have to obtain a skull (I suppose a fake one would do?) and bear or deer skin. The rest is cutting and sewing and construction, but that process would be part of the FurryJack creation....bbbwwwaaahhhhaaaaahahaha

#18 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

Actually, I purchased a book on Indian crafts recently at a yard sale in Maine that has instructions for making a "FurryJack"! I should post it, but then little FurryJacks would be popping up all over the place, lol. Although people would still have to obtain a skull (I suppose a fake one would do?) and bear or deer skin. The rest is cutting and sewing and construction, but that process would be part of the FurryJack creation....bbbwwwaaahhhhaaaaahahaha

rofl!

#19 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

She likes the idea! Hey!

Attached Files

#20 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:26 PM

"Shakes her head" my, my, my, my!!! :lmao: