• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VivienMoon

VivienMoon

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:57 PM

Hello there! And how is everyone doing on this beautiful month of Oktober? 🎃 It has been a while since I last posted on here so bear with me. 😊
Anyways, I have been researching my Germanic path and find myself a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information and various types of branches of Germanic paths that are out there. I do see a ton of information on Norse magic Which includes Seidr, Asatrau, and etc. Also I found a bit of information on Pow-woww magic which is Pennsylvania Deutsche and a ton written abour witchcraft from Great Britain. What I'm asking is would anyone happen to know if there's an actual branch of witchcraft that is strickly German alone? Can't seem to find anything on that. I am guessing that German traditional witchcraft and magic originated from the Scandinavians? If thats the case, maybe that is why I am so drawn to Aegishjalmur and Vegvisir runic wheels. 😉

Edited by VivienMoon, 20 October 2015 - 11:59 PM.

~Rae

#2 Oohdelally

Oohdelally

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

I've been doing the same research. My last name is Anglo Saxon, DNA shows I have Scandinavian roots, my paternal side is solid Quaker and PA Dutch, and my mother is half German. I haven't found any magic strictly German, aside from their folklore collected by the Grimm bros.
There are various books on Teutonic Magic, but what I've read seems to be the very similar to traditional witchcraft that you'll more easily learn about. Also, I don't imagine that Western European witchcraft varied greatly.
I suggest studying everything you can about their folklore and glean what you're able from that.

Yup, just a little bit of pixie dust...

#3 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

Germany as a unified country didn't exist until the 1800s so looking for strictly Germany traditions isn't going to throw up much. You might be best studying the history of what is now Germany as that will give you a better idea of what to look for.

#4 Nyd

Nyd

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

Maybe looking into pre medieval practices and traditions can lead you onto the right path? Germanic tribes during Roman tribes for example. Lots of druids, potions and praying to a different god for everything as far as I know ;)

#5 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:02 AM

I think this is an interesting article: http://www.ladywoods...-germanic-roots

Also this is from the "new World Witchery" podcast- there are two episodes dedicated to Pow Wow http://newworldwitch...tag/braucherei/

Good luck :)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#6 jefftos

jefftos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

I do not follow a specific Northern Tradition because of this very issue. It is very difficult to find something that will teach you how things may have been done specifically. There are things that do pop up in most literature though, galdr (chanting), rune magic, seidr, and some forms of divination. I felt overwhelmed too but at some point I just started practicing the things I read about and things fell into place. Turned out I was stuck in my head and wasn't just letting things work themselves out. Not saying this is what your doing but what helped me was to just pick something and to start doing it and to see if it worked or not.