3 replies to this topic

#1 Forester

Forester

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:18 AM

I am looking for people's opinions on divining and interpreting using rune sets that are not standard or even used anywhere, personal runes. The word "rune" literally means a magical symbol or character, and as trees are significant to me, I have spent time coming up with 19 runes, each symbolizing a tree or plant native to Britain, with historical significance, some of them the first pioneers after the ice age (birch, juniper and hazel) so have a real root (mind the pun) to these islands. I have not yet decided what material to use, ideally a piece of wood from each of these but this will be difficult. Does anyone have any experience with personal runes?

Edited by Forester, 05 October 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

Are you familiar with the Ogham (sp) which is a tree alphabet sometimes used for divination? As far as reading the non-traditional set you wish to make, what about taking each one's meaning by 1) the nature of the tree itself, and 2) what it's historical meaning was to the people (which it seems you've already started investigating so you have a head start there....?).

M

#3 Forester

Forester

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

Are you familiar with the Ogham (sp) which is a tree alphabet sometimes used for divination? As far as reading the non-traditional set you wish to make, what about taking each one's meaning by 1) the nature of the tree itself, and 2) what it's historical meaning was to the people (which it seems you've already started investigating so you have a head start there....?).

M

I am familiar with Ogham, my wife is Irish way back and we both have a deep love of all things ancient British. I wasn't aware, however, that they relate to trees. I've seen pendants with Ogham characters on sold as affiliated with a tree and birth year, but I thought that was Avebury's New Age nonsense. I'll look into it more, thank you for the tip :)

#4 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

Re: Ogham calendar there is a book I read a while back that you might find interesting for many reasons. It has many things related to Celtic lore but also has a fair amount of information about using Ogham for Shamanic purposes. I posted a review about it some time ago:

http://www.tradition...-john-matthews/

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."