• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 NorwegianWitch

NorwegianWitch

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

I got a message from my teacher from primary school a while back, she asked me if I remember how I used to pick thorns from the hedge and put them in the tip of my black gloves. Yes, I said - But what I didn't say was what they were ment for. I was trying them on to see if I could make poisonous thorns of them for self defense. I studied herbalism and witchcraft from very early on and had a few intense experiences from lack of control. Too much too soon. There really ought to be a Hogwarts for children like me  :wasntme:

"A forest bird never wants a cage."
                                          Ibsen

#22 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

I think in a different situation I would have started on this path much younger.

I had a very vivid imagination, was always a very clear visualiser and had a knack for getting what I want by 'will' - not in a wilful, obnoxious way but just an 'I want that' sort of way. But I lived in a very religious area and was sucked into evangelical Christianity very early. After that everything outside the church was a fast track to hell. I rejected it all and became vehemently atheist.

When I think back, there were some signs in my family. I think my granny might have had some ability but it was kept well under wraps. She went from abject poverty to marrying a man well above her 'station'. It wasn't a happy match and he was away a lot until he died young. She talked about the fairies a lot and took me out into nature often, collecting little jars of herbs and pine cones. But she never spoke directly about these things, maybe because she saw the church had me in its clutches. I know her father was in a kind of masonic organisation (only found this out after she died and I inherited a relic - I'm thinking about using it to contact my great-grandfather).

#23 Cherry

Cherry

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:30 PM

Not really. As a child I was really strange: would sometimes hear voices in the middle of the night when all my family members where sleeping, attracted butterflies (I have pictures with me and 3 butterflies just sitting in my hair), my parents would find me sitting in a dark room with no lights on and when asked why I just replied that being in the dark was safe, made my father a father's day card pretty much giving him warning about hard times coming before he found out he had cancer... I also used to be clairvoyant and see stuff happening months and weeks before it actually did.

I didn't really expect to be a witch since all those things were just normal and natural to me. I just thought that everyone could see glimpses of the future (thought they were, what people called, déjà vu's). I think one of the most horrifying moments for me growing up was when I realised I didn't see as many images from future anymore. Now they just come and go and I have 0 control over them. Such a waste to have an ability that awesome, but not being able to use it. After I found out my deceased grandmother used to be clairvoyant and came from a family full of witches everything clicked and I started researching witches. Of course I found wiccas first, but didn't really start practising because it just didn't speak to me. Too ritualistic and restricting, also didn't like the aspect of gods and goddesses. I just ended up doing my own things which I had always done: singing spells in trance, drawing and painting with intent... until I found out there was this thing called traditional witchcraft which pretty much explained all the things I was already doing.

I think being a traditional witch has freed me. I don't have that small voice in my head anymore saying "I should do ____ and ____ to be a witch". Looking back it seems ovious - I was a witch all along. :D

#24 Moly

Moly

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

Not really. I was always interested but I thought it was more of a thing about well like someone already mentioned, like the movie "The Craft". I didn't know that you could be a witch without levitating or changing the colour of your hair or reciting rhymes, I thought that's what being a witch is. I think that I kind of suddenly realised I am a witch a couple of years ago after my aunt died, I prayed intensely and desperately to dream about her and she visited my dream, she said it was not just a dream but it was really her, she wanted me to know she is ok and that she is looking over me and protecting me. Since then I started exploring and it has seemed like a lot of things about me just slotted into place, it just makes sense for me to be a witch. It's not my purpose or mission in life to be a witch, it's just part of who I am.

#25 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

I don't think that I necessarily thought that I would become a magical practitioner as such... but, on the other hand, I think I took the existence of magic as being real more or less for granted. This was despite not really being surrounded by anyone that, to my awareness, had a magical practice. I was surrounded, though, by people who were really connected to plants, and I had no doubt that plants were alive and conscious and had spirits. My grandmother in particular, after rejecting the Catholicism of her upbringing early and life, and following an atheist path for most of her adulthood, found, at the end of her life, spirituality in nature and in gardening, and while this probably wasn't even something that I was conscious of, it probably rubbed off on me a good deal.

I remember that as a very small child I talked to trees, and they talked back to me, though I can't remember what we talked about. I remember early childhood as being sort of like a waking dream, where reality was poorly defined and everything was enchanted. I did have "imaginary" friends, and talked to them often. 

I remember we had Brian Froud's Faeries, and I loved it - I took it 100% as a work of non-fiction; I had no doubt in my mind as to the existence of fae. I was also nourished spiritually through Russian Fairy Tales, Greek myths, and the Bible. I particularly liked the Russian stories. I still have those copies of Faeries and Russian Fairy Tales in my house, by the by, and I read them to my own daughter now. 

Finally, I'll add that the practice of Ancestor veneration has been intuitive since childhood. In particular, my great-grandfather (the person on the lefthand side of my avatar), a man who died 44 years before I was born, always utterly fascinated me. He seemed to reach out to me from old photographs. I had the overwhelming sense that I knew him, that we were intimately connected to each other. I would stare at photographs of him for hours, and interrogate anyone who had any information on him to mine anecdotes and anything that gave me insight into his life. Now, I work with his spirit quite a bit, and he is one of my primary guides in the spirit realm. 

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

#26 Akashiel

Akashiel

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:42 AM

I was taught about the uses of certain herbs, traditional folklore and some spells for fishing and other misc stuff from a very young age(5-7 I think) and I expanded from there however I could. Sometimes I was rather lazy in my practice but I never completely stopped