17 replies to this topic

#1 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:54 AM

It would be nice to hear from others on this. I my self remember back to 2 yrs old and my father in bed dying,then I don't remember anything till 5yrs old. Growing up life was hard,never enough food or clothes.
But I always had a feeling there was some think was watching over me and kept me out of danger.
I was 7 yrs old and got hit by a car in 1960 on the highway chasing a ball,I got knock about 20 meters over the sidewalk into bush area and i got up and walked away with a cut toe,hummm they were watching over me that day.
I was alway looking for something I did not have a clue as to what I was searching for,but I was always drawn to the unexplained stuff like ghosts,UFOs,card readings. Then about 12 yrs old I met a sideshow girl with two red bellied black snakes wrapped around her boobs under her top and she found one that day under a sheet of tin. One bit and your in hospital also with them,I thought how can she get away with not getting bit. "She said she had the gift".Thinking back was she into in to the craft or some thing or just very wise with snakes. Anyway ever since ,if I see a snake crossing my path it will look at me and then bolt,I know it's a warning of some trouble coming it's never wrong.
Then in 1973 I was drawn to an old bookshop,where I found this gypsy witchcraft book and I knew I found what I was looking for all my life,a witchcraft path. I also married a witch or wise one sounds better,but it only lasted 5 yrs we have always loved each other, but never got along which was a pity. Oh well I guess if your meant to do something fate will lead you there anyway.

#2 Natty

Natty

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hi Candleflame,

I think this is a great topic.

I,like you, was always drawn to the unexplained, the weird and the wonderful. I grew up in a Victorian house and my parents would often share with me their experiences of 'supernatural' happenings there.

When I was very small I had an imaginary friend. However, I have often wondered why a small child would imagine a little old lady. My maternal grandmother lived with us so I don't think I was looking for a grandmother figure in my life. In hindsight I am convinced that she was an ancestor or guide. I always knew that I could find her in the bay window of our lounge.

My father had great healing powers and animals were always incredibly trusting of him. My mother has very strong intuition and is often able to make premonitions. By the time I reached the age of 11 I would dream the same dreams as my mum the night before a family loss. We would wake up the next morning and just look at each other, both pale and uneasy. It was then just a matter of receiving the phone call.

Around the same age I was browsing the local bookshop and found a very basic history of witchcraft. I remember being overjoyed when my mum said I was allowed to buy it. It took pride of place on my bedside and I'd obsess over its pages every day after school.

On my 13th birthday my parents bought me my first Tarot deck. I felt that this was almost an act of acceptance on their part and that now I was free to explore my witchy inclinations further. I've never looked back.

I'd love to hear more from you and other members on this subject!

#3 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:54 AM

Nope, not for a single minute did I even imagine witches, magic or god-forbid, being one. The word was not in my vocabulary. Samantha was TV and fantasy...still is. When I was a wee sprout, I played in the woods by our house, and I knew everything was alive and aware. I heard voices, had fun flying dreams, saw the occasional spirit and auras and I honestly assumed that everybody else did too. In my mid-teens I heard it wasn't so, and that others thought it was different. So I got a library book on psychic phenomenon, which seemed nothing special. OK, so I was psychic. That's a long ways from being a witch. At 17, as a college freshman, i suddenly developed mediumship. I did some "assisted cross-overs", developed OOB skills (I love it when that happens), and by my 30's I was regularly trance-channeling with small groups. Still not a witch.

Then I entered a contemplative convent, and the lifestyle was ripe for increased phenomena. Holy crap-a-moly. Working with a very open-minded priest as confessor, I began to unravel several events throughout my life that I had ignored because they didn't fit anything real-world. These events appeared to be gray alien abduction scenarios, including removal of a possible nasal implant when i was 8. I'll never know because the doctor, not knowing what it was, threw it away. Anyway, I took a leave-of-absence to get my head straight and did not go back. Still not a witch yet.

I was in a spiritual limbo, transitioning between one world and another, from religious lifestyle (where at heart, I still wanted to be) & moving to the mundane, where I had no interest. Truly between. I had two experiences then. The first was a waking vision involving the moon, and followed by an dream giving me a message. The second was nearly being felled by the roll of the serpent beneath the Land and an awareness of the sentience of the Earth. I didn't know what it meant at all. Five years passed. I refrained from any mediumship, but still heard one guide's voice. One day, he sent me to a bookstore, telling me my path would be revealed, and showing me a picture of a big tree, with deep roots and branches in the sky. I did not yet know the World Tree concept. But I bought a book, per my guide. It was Cunningham's "Solitary Wicca", and I learned later that the day I bought the book was the day the author died. It took me another 2 years to get it. But I eventually did my self-dedication and accepted I am a witch. I'm still learning what it means.

Edited by Zombee, 17 June 2016 - 02:15 AM.

#4 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

Bump :)

I didn't know conciously where my life would lead. But I do remember watching Excalibur when I was about nine. Helen Mirren played Morgan Le Fey and she used an incantation in the film. I memorized it. I still remember it, oddly. I would  make a hole in our back yard and throw herbs and water in. I'd pretend it was a cauldron :) I  felt spirits around me and sensed that they were waiting until I was ready. I had a sense that my "real" family would come for me someday. I  had experiences of willing things to happen, healing and psychic phenomenon.

I think that the debate of born vs. made witches is very interesting, though. People seem to have very strong opinions, either way. Although I can look back and see the capacity was always there for me, I wasn't intentional. Even now, I have a lot to learn and struggle to be consistent in my practice. It's hard for me to pinpoint the moment I became a witch. At birth, initiation by spirits or at a certain point of experience? Maybe I'm still becoming a witch. Like a flower blooming, fruiting and going to seed? It seems to me that the magickal arts have a lot of gray areas.

Edited by Anubha, 27 April 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#5 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

I always knew I could change things and make things happen and that some of my dreams and thoughts came true even if they were very unlikely. I didn't "log on" until I was about 10 and I started getting serious around 12 or 13.

RSKHFMY

#6 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

I always knew I could change things and make things happen and that some of my dreams and thoughts came true even if they were very unlikely. I didn't "log on" until I was about 10 and I started getting serious around 12 or 13.

I like that analogy, "logging on." That makes sense.

#7 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

I never thought I'd be a witch, exactly--I thought witches "weren't real," and just the stuff of fairy tales. That said, my favorite characters in shows were usually witchy or magical (Maleficent? Totally into her as a wee little one), I was convinced that I could talk to the neighbor upstairs's cat and used to hang out under the porch with her, and always played magical characters in make-believe games with friends and RPGs when I was older. My grandmother would talk about some of her ancestors visiting periodically, and the Catholicism I understood growing up was a little more magical than the versions that my friends practiced. I still think my super Catholic mom is the most skilled witch I have ever met, lol. I was always open to that side of things, but never really thought of it as "witchy" until I was older. I got into new-agey practices as a teenager, read a little about Wicca although it never really clicked with me, met a spirit guide and astral projected on the first try (and never tried again for over a decade, it was too physically uncomfortable). I learned how to read playing cards when I was 16, but not Tarot until much later.

When I was in my early 20s, a witch friend told me, "you're a witch, you just don't realize it yet." Maybe he was onto something? I didn't really accept the possibility until I was in the woods and plants started telling me their names.

#8 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:10 AM

I remember telling my mom when I was 10 or 11 that I "just knew" when some things would come to pass. She told me that the gift (of "knowing") always goes to the eldest daughter in our family. But I didn't always know I'd grow up and be a witch. My family was (is) very religious, and gave up everything of the old country (superstitions, etc) when they converted to their new religion. I always would tell myself that I wasn't alone, and that their religion wasn't the only religion or way of doing things. When I was a teenager I would write on my bible's fly leaf everything I wanted to happen... and then it would happen in exactly the way I'd written it out. I also did a version of this at university where I would mumble to myself at night which boy would talk to me the next day... the compliment he would give me... etc. It always worked ;)

I was a strange child... I talked to spirits and also saw and felt them. I remember looking at myself in the mirror the night before I turned thirteen and listing all the ghosts I had seen and telling myself that in the morning if I woke up and everything was gone, I would still be the same person. You can't imagine how relieved inwS when I woke up the next morning and I still had what I considered "my power(s)". That's all I want to share for now.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#9 Lauvitra

Lauvitra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

Well, I began to learn witchcraft from my grandfather when I was about six, when he did a funny thing and told me it was a spell, and then kind of just asked me if I'd want to learn a spell, too, and I just replied with "yeah I wanna!" *nod nod*, I'd say... yeah, I knew I'd be a witch. :P

The beginning of my witchy path was very simple. One question, one answer, and here I am.

"We pledge ourselves to you, the Frame-Maker, the Scarab:

a world for us to love you in, a cloak of dirt to cherish."

#10 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

I remember distinctly that in my 5th grade school picnic we went to a country park which was actually a hill. Some of my schoolmates (not the same class but the same grade) took away some barks on the ground and a student hurt his knee. I went "Oops we angered the spirits here and we should give them something." Some classmates and I buried potato chips as a compensation and prayed for forgiveness lol

Edited by NorthernPilgrim, 01 May 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#11 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

I was raised in a Christian cult.. so the idea of being a witch was non-existent.. lol. But weird things kept happening around me.. to the point where family and other members would notice.. and jokingly call me a Supernatural magnet. It wasn't until we moved in a haunted house... which turned out to be built on the land of a civil war death house/hospital... (seriously.. the death house building was right behind my back yard).. the haunting was bad.. everyone was seeing fucked up shit.. books flew across the room in front of several witnesses... it was crazy (yet entertaining)... i got a Ouija board... then books on the hauntings.. then books on the occult.. which led me down to where I am today...
Now I'm at the point where I got my family out of the Cult... and they let me do my 'witchy stuff' in the house... but if you told my younger self.. that I would be a witch someday... i would have bitch-slapped you and yelled out "Snap outta it" in a Cher from Moonstruck voice...

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#12 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:03 AM

I was raised by an extremely fluffy Wiccan witch, so I learned some witchcraft as a kid. I stole my mother’s unopened, languishing pack of Tarot cards when I was twelve (and still have ‘em). A few spells came out of “nowhere”, which I still use to this day. I would know certain things were going to happen with clear certainty, and I ran into some spirits when I was a kid. I loved ghost stories, and collected all the local ones I could find. Then I ran away to college, rebelled, and became an atheist for ten years.

Adult me was shocked when I suddenly lost my atheism and found traditional witchcraft. Child me, however, wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised.

#13 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:16 PM

I knew because I was obsessed with magic. Partly because of Harry Potter and partly because I wished it was real so much. It wasn't until I became a teenager that I realized that people did magic everyday and were able to have power over their own life. I got started because I wanted control over my life, not necessarily a higher being that I had no control over. I follow the Norse gods and goddesses, but they're more there as mentors or guides and I am very keen on making sure I have the control and the want to include them in ritual or not. I didn't have much control growing up in Christianity and knew there was something more to me as a being than being told what I can and cannot do. 

That being said, I do well to not make the gods and goddesses angry, but I also don't fear any consequences or feel like I am being watched all of the time because I invite them in when I need them. I knew I was different from my family members and knew that I had magical capabilities. I just didn't know that my obsession with things like divination would be what I would do someday. I am so much happier being able to refer to my cards or my pendulum to get answers that I seek and meditate on it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#14 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:10 AM

Did I know I'd call myself a witch? HELL NO !!!

I seriously thought witchcraft was just silly, hocus-pocus nonsense. Halloween costume stuff.

I KNEW I was different by age 4.  As I grew, so did my abilities.

I came to witchcraft very late in my life --- and it was then I realized, I had always been a witch.... and had done witchcraft without 'knowing' it WAS indeed witchcraft.

Who wudda thunk it? I sure as hell didn't see that coming.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#15 Guest_SorcererSupreme_*

Guest_SorcererSupreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

I've always known.
I just never called myself a witch until recently. I've had these abilities for awhile and was always trying to perfect them.

I was never interested in the traditional delights of average life, sports games, alcohol, being rich. None of that shit mattered. Once you do your first miracle, you realize your higher cause and your own divinity.

I am happy, content, and satisfied where I'm at.

#16 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

No, I didn't. I was obsessed as a child with witches on tv, in movies, and in books. They were one of my favourite things. But, I thought they were only fictitious, so I never 'knew' I would be a witch when I grew up, but I certainly did wish I could be!

#17 Verin

Verin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

From very early childhood I was fascinated by everything otherwordly and magical. On Halloween my favorite costume was the one of a witch and I took great pride in my painted wrinkles and my big nose with a wart on it. I loved vampires, too, and scary stories of La Llorona, or the stories of my aunt who would hear the souls of people who had just died, knocking on her door. Even when I was little, I preferred to be alone or with adults rather than with children my own age, because adults would always tell the more mysterious tales. My favorite books as a kid were those involving witchcraft, especially German ones, such as "The Little Witch", "Krabat", "Der Wunschpunsch" (The Night of Wishes) or "Ronja Räubertochter" (The Robbers Daughter) and of course Roald Dahls "The Witches". My mother who is quite the witch herself although she would never say that about herself, happily provided all those books for me, while my 'father' would teach me how to work with "poisonous" and other healing plants. I also could hear and sense spirits since my early childhood and never really felt scared, except twice, when they made physical contact. That was extremely scary. The only thing I had as an idea in my head as a kid regarding my future was that I'd never have a husband, and never wanted kids. Both things are true to this day. And I "foresaw" that the best time in my life would be when I was 35. We'll see, two more years to go :) Anyhow, I didn't consciously KNOW that I was going to be a witch, any more than I knew I was going to be woman. It was kind of obvious and not something I would decide to become, but already was.

Edited by Verin, 21 September 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#18 sleepnheat

sleepnheat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:55 PM

This is a great, thought-provoking topic!

I grew up with my mother who was a devout Christian, but spent the weekends with my father who was a Buddhist. Needless to say, the time I spent with my father I was encouraged to explore my spirituality. My father's parents were heavy into Eastern Star and Masons and they did do some witchy stuff that I did not recognize as a child. So I was exposed early. 

Throughout my childhood, I would frequently see spirits, but just kinda excepted it and didn't give it too much thought. Although I lived in a Christian home, my mother always had very accurate premonitions and it was a common topic in our house. 

Fast forward to my early adult years. I was highly encouraged to pursue being a Christian pastor (my mothers dream for me, no mine). I studied for 3 years, but then dropped out knowing that it was not for me, nor my path. About 10 years later I almost died due to renal failure. It was at this point that I did some deep reflecting. From the moment I started to research the craft, I knew I was home. I have never felt more free or alive! While I am still very new to the craft, I also feel like someone who has returned to their childhood house. Everything feels very comfortable and familiar. 

Looking forward to more replies! I will be following this one!