• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 UnMasked1467

UnMasked1467

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:01 AM

I am planning on setting up an ancestral altar, because lately I have felt a very strong presence of my ancestors (or one specific ancestor, I should say). As for workings, I typically do them wherever it is most practical, but as has been mentioned above, with items and findings that are very specific to my purpose. 

#42 LiberArts

LiberArts

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:03 AM

I've never had an ancestral altar. I only know of maybe 3 people I could put on it, and I've only known one personally. I have a small family. 

#43 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:28 PM

I have an ancestor altar but it's not what I want. It's a small house so it's smaller than I want. I have pics of am many of my passed family as I have but a deer skull for those I don't know who would have been animist. I also have Hela on my family altar. Since most of my dead would not have been dying in battle.

#44 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

Since this post has come up I have a question for everyone/ anyone who might offer advice. So I have two houses right now. One we lived in years ago and moved out of and our house right now. Without boring details the old home is finally going to be out of my possession. I have really hated leaving it to the point I have not really bonded with the new house. I offered my wights at the old one to come to the new one and I am positive at least one did. I view my outside and inside wight as different. So I have been doing outside offerings to my land wights but realized I might have been overtly neglecting my house wight. 

So I guess the question is: Do you make all your wight offerings together inside or out?

If I wanted to set up a space in the house for just the house wight do you think a bird house or something of that nature would work? 

Do you offer to your wights on your ancestor altar because I feel like this isn't something I should do? 

Thanks for any advice. I feel silly asking since I have a well established ritual/offerings with my outdoor space. The show in Netflix called Tidying Up is what helped me see I might be outwardly ignoring my home spirits.  

#45 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

I have one main Altar set up it contains Candles, plants and some crystals. I have a Dragon and a cat sculpture and my Antlers.
Outside a fairy garden, that also has a Dragon. Oh! I see a theme happening.
No Ancestor Shrine, when I want to talk to the relatives I just talk to their photos. Mum always answers.

#46 Lauvitra

Lauvitra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:04 AM

So I guess the question is: Do you make all your wight offerings together inside or out?

If I wanted to set up a space in the house for just the house wight do you think a bird house or something of that nature would work? 

Do you offer to your wights on your ancestor altar because I feel like this isn't something I should do?

______

I keep the offerings for the house spirit separate from the others. The house spirit offerings happen inside the house, and the other land spirits receive their offerings outside, more or less together.

For the second question, I don't see why not, as long as the wight seems fine with it. In my tradition house spirits are said to pick their living spaces for themselves, often choosing places that are warm and comfortable, or somewhat hidden. Of course I can't speak for the spirits around your place, but offering them some options shouldn't hurt at least. If they don't like the idea, or the placement of the bird house, or they've already picked a place they like more, I doubt they'll get angry about having extra choices offered to them.

As for the last question, no, I don't. In part because I don't have an ancestral altar, but I wouldn't even if I did have one. My house spirit isn't my ancestor, so I keep these separate. I do know that in some cultures (including my own) it's believed that ancestors can become house spirits to look after their family, and in such a case it would definitely make sense to give them offerings on the same altar, but unless that's the case, I wouldn't. Others might choose differently, of course.

"We pledge ourselves to you, the Frame-Maker, the Scarab:

a world for us to love you in, a cloak of dirt to cherish."

#47 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

______

I keep the offerings for the house spirit separate from the others. The house spirit offerings happen inside the house, and the other land spirits receive their offerings outside, more or less together.

For the second question, I don't see why not, as long as the wight seems fine with it. In my tradition house spirits are said to pick their living spaces for themselves, often choosing places that are warm and comfortable, or somewhat hidden. Of course I can't speak for the spirits around your place, but offering them some options shouldn't hurt at least. If they don't like the idea, or the placement of the bird house, or they've already picked a place they like more, I doubt they'll get angry about having extra choices offered to them.

As for the last question, no, I don't. In part because I don't have an ancestral altar, but I wouldn't even if I did have one. My house spirit isn't my ancestor, so I keep these separate. I do know that in some cultures (including my own) it's believed that ancestors can become house spirits to look after their family, and in such a case it would definitely make sense to give them offerings on the same altar, but unless that's the case, I wouldn't. Others might choose differently, of course.

Thanks. 

#48 FairCirce

FairCirce

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:51 AM

I've seen mention of travel altars on here, but do any of you use "portable" altars at home? As others have mentioned, I don't have much space or privacy to set up a permanent space (I'm living with family at the moment) but I'm feeling a strong pull to create something. I generally like to tuck things that have special meaning to me away from prying eyes, so I thought having a box dedicated to this, where I could pull the objects out when needed, would work best. Would this be considered disrespectful? 

#49 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

One candle can make an Altar. It dos'ent have to be fancy, it is the intent that makes everything happen. One flower in a bowl can be an offering. A prayer from the heart can mean the world.

#50 FairCirce

FairCirce

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

One candle can make an Altar. It dos'ent have to be fancy, it is the intent that makes everything happen. One flower in a bowl can be an offering. A prayer from the heart can mean the world.

That’s exactly what I needed to hear, thank you

#51 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:21 PM

I've seen mention of travel altars on here, but do any of you use "portable" altars at home? As others have mentioned, I don't have much space or privacy to set up a permanent space (I'm living with family at the moment) but I'm feeling a strong pull to create something. I generally like to tuck things that have special meaning to me away from prying eyes, so I thought having a box dedicated to this, where I could pull the objects out when needed, would work best. Would this be considered disrespectful?

——-
Secreting something away that is sacred to you to keep it safe is respectful and will be seen as such.:)

I will point out that some really magnificent altars can be hidden in plain sight. A mantle or shelf with family pictures can be an ancestor altar. And of course, a nice white candle and or flowers on such a shelf can appear as mundane decor. Grapevine stars are very common decorations. Rocks, plants, shells etc found on your land also are mundane decor but can double as pieces to an altar. Stone carved animals are just pretty little statues, right?:) There is no need for overtly “witchy” items if you do wish to have something permanent somewhere- just a little creativity.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#52 FairCirce

FairCirce

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

——-
Secreting something away that is sacred to you to keep it safe is respectful and will be seen as such. :)

I will point out that some really magnificent altars can be hidden in plain sight. A mantle or shelf with family pictures can be an ancestor altar. And of course, a nice white candle and or flowers on such a shelf can appear as mundane decor. Grapevine stars are very common decorations. Rocks, plants, shells etc found on your land also are mundane decor but can double as pieces to an altar. Stone carved animals are just pretty little statues, right? :) There is no need for overtly “witchy” items if you do wish to have something permanent somewhere- just a little creativity.

---

Oh, very good point! I have shelves full of video game memorabilia, I think I might be at the point where everyone just kind of walks by my shelves/walls without even paying attention anymore  :lol:  Thank you!