51 replies to this topic

#21 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:45 PM

Yea some of them are pretty cool right?

I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.

#22 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

I've been wanting to do one of those fairy gardens for the longest time!

#23 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:46 AM

I've been wanting to do one of those fairy gardens for the longest time!

If I am not mistaken they have a "How to" guide on that site, so what is stopping you?

#24 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

I'd made some fairy additions to my yard and all were stolen by..I'm guessing neighborhood brats. They left my gnome and took the fairies and the toad! I'm grateful not to be gnome-less.

Edited by Zombee, 05 October 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#25 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

If I am not mistaken they have a "How to" guide on that site, so what is stopping you?

I'm in major budget mode so I can get back to Ireland, so I haven't gone in on plants and pots, but I may treat myself this winter to a small version. Or at least giving my current house plants some more fairy garden flair. 

#26 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

Yeah go for it!! and good luck with getting back to Ireland

#27 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

Yeah go for it!! and good luck with getting back to Ireland

Thanks! The goal is to actually live there. That's how much we loved it! Lots of faeries there, and you better believe I will have an awesome faerie garden when we get there!

#28 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

Thought I'd share one of my sacred spaces.

This is an altar I've made to honor my ancestors, and various animal/nature spirits that I've got strong relationships with. My ties to my ancestral lines are very connected to the natural world, so it made sense for me to honor them in one place.

A lot of the animal figures were gifts from family members. I've also included items like my grandfather's fedora, my great-great-grandmother's knitting needles, and a small box my grandmother gave me from Norway. It's mostly a permanent fixture in my living room, though some items change seasonally. The thing I love about it is that family, friends and coworkers that visit don't even realize it's an altar.

I have a working altar also, and a circle outside where I do workings.

Attached Files

#29 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

What a beautiful, well thought out space! Thank you so much for sharing RapunzelGnome. 

Selkie- I just wanted to make a quick suggestion. I have noticed that all of the in person shops tend to sell fairy garden items at a very steep price. You can usually get great items on amazon and other online stores for WAY cheaper. 

#30 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

An outdoor fae shrine!

A colleague of mine built one of these in her garden, she got her inspiration from this site - http://www.boredpand...t-fairy-garden/

She ended up doing a few different styles, it looks really good

These are amazing, Llyr - thank you for sharing! I HAVE to make at least one now :D

#31 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

What a beautiful, well thought out space! Thank you so much for sharing RapunzelGnome.

Selkie- I just wanted to make a quick suggestion. I have noticed that all of the in person shops tend to sell fairy garden items at a very steep price. You can usually get great items on amazon and other online stores for WAY cheaper.

Yes, thank you for sharing RG - I'm always fascinated with how others arrange their spaces - sacred or otherwise...

As for the fairy items, yes, there's no need to even buy things at all: you could create a lot of little fairy accessories with toothpicks or painted popsicle sticks (when I was little, I didn't like playing with dolls, but I LOVED making little houses (or one room cabins, really) and crafting all of the details like a bed out of toothpicks with scraps of different kinds of cloth for the blankets and "sheepskin" rug next to it, a little pot bellied stove out of tin foil, etc (back when it was thicker stuff than now). I never played with anything in those houses, I just liked making them and imagining little people in them so perhaps I was making them for other beings without realizing it ;) )

Anyway, my point is, when it comes to outdoor miniature things, there are so many scraps you can find laying around or in the rubbish that can be repurposed for something like this, there's no need to spend any money! Plus, I'm guessing you might be able to ask at your local garden center or thrift shop if they have any broken pots...

Edited by IslandBruja, 05 October 2016 - 09:48 PM.

#32 Cameo

Cameo

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:34 AM

RapunzelGnome that is just lovely, thank you for sharing.

On my last trip to the Dollar Tree they had so miniature furniture items and I have seen miniature porcelain tea sets there in the past.

#33 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

Right now, I really don't have the funds to move to a place where I have the room and privacy to set up an alter or shrine, but I would really like two have a few set up one day. If I can manage it, I'll get a shrine up to the deities and spirits I work with, primarily to honor them but also to mark out a space where I can communicate with them safely while still communicating as intimately as I do. I'd also like a small something in my kitchen (if I ever have one of my own), that acts more as a "designated work space" for magic involving consumables or ingredients that need preparation than anything specific to spirits. I'd also like to have another one or two designated as other work spaces; one for spiritual workings and spells that may have backlash that could contaminate the space and one for other, more benign workings. That way, I always have a space that doesn't get too "infected" by negative energy and I can wall off a space with protection and frequent cleansing for when I'm doing something a little more dangerous.

#34 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:59 AM

IslandBruja and Kalinia, those are all great tips! I guess I have no excuse now :P

Odalibuc, I made a mini travel altar out of an Altoids tin. I did not invent this, I got the idea from someone else. Anyway, small candy or cookie (or biscuit) tins work great for portable or easily hidden altars. I glued in pictures, ribbon flowers, chants or poems, and keep a tea light candle and some incense matches in mine. If you want to get fancy, you can decorate the outside with fimo clay or whatever else. That way you can bring your altar wherever, set it up quickly by opening it, and then take it away with you. 

Hmm, I could make one of those for the faeries! 

Edited by SelkieBlythe, 06 October 2016 - 05:00 AM.

#35 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:57 AM

All great ideas flooding out now!! :high5:

#36 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

The tin ones are so cute! I also adore little fish bowl ones

#37 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

RapunzelGnome, your ancestor shrine is vibrant. I can practically smell tobacco, and I especially like the homey bird nest in the branch. Thanks for sharing.

Re. Fairie shrines: I went through a fairy house phase using stuff id collected from the woods and beach. And as a kid my doll house was a shoebox furnished with magazine and catalog cut outs. My doll was a red-headed pug-faced troll. Remember those? My current "kitchen witch" is also a troll, with pointy hat and broom. Let the good times roll.

#38 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

RapunzelGnome, your ancestor shrine is vibrant. I can practically smell tobacco, and I especially like the homey bird nest in the branch. Thanks for sharing.
Re. Fairie shrines: I went through a fairy house phase using stuff id collected from the woods and beach. And as a kid my doll house was a shoebox furnished with magazine and catalog cut outs. My doll was a red-headed pug-faced troll. Remember those? My current "kitchen witch" is also a troll, with pointy hat and broom. Let the good times roll.

Yes, RG's ancestor shrine is very masculine! It's an interesting mental juxtaposition with her avatar's representation of herself...

As for the trolls - YES. I forgot I had a little family of those figurines I played with... I think I had an orange haired "mom" and a pink-haired "baby" (it was a mini one that went on the end of a pencil (you'd jam the eraser into the hole between its legs. Ahem.) And I LOVED twisting their hair into hilarious configurations... Anyway, sorry for the random amble down troll memory lane :)

#39 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:38 AM

That candy tin shrine/altar sounds perfect, thanks for sharing!

#40 LiberArts

LiberArts

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:18 AM

Fast question off the cuff, how many of you have a deity or spirit represented on your working alters? And why did you choose them? Are there more than one etc...
I’m having trouble deciding.