37 replies to this topic

#1 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

I think it's good to learn and do some form of divination like tarot,runes,etc for a year or so ,before you get in to magic spells and what have you. As it helps the brain mesh together and you get a better target aim In other words they say when you do magic your left brain must work with your right other wise your magic won't work. Hummmm I got no brains so I am in trouble.
People say I don't know where to start, well learning divination a good start and learning to meditate relax also as a fair few people have trouble with making spells work or getting results this maybe why, that is just my opinion
I was getting about 95 percent strike rate with spells when I was doing them,don't bother much now.i would lay in the star position on floor sky clad for for 20 min before doing spell work it makes you feel good as well.

#2 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

Agreed. Plus, you have a way to keep tabs on how your work is doing, where it is going wrong, and what you are affecting.

RSKHFMY

#3 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

Anything geared towards knowing yourself more deeply is also good. Many people get caught up trying to know everything and reading all these books.... Yet they dont know themselves yet. Divination can be helpful for knowing yourself sometimes, so can meditation. Best way I know of are plant medicines. If someone was studying with me and asked where to start I would give them a big juicy cup of San Pedro tea. (I also have a pretty specific path though, I know a lot of people go a totally different direction).

#4 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:17 AM

Yes I look at magic work the same as driving a car,you must learn the car needs fuel,oil, Tyers,etc,then you got learn to drive it well. If you go speeding on a wet road,its the same as doing magic stuff with out learning everything.you may get away with it 50 times but one day bang your mistake got you in trouble

#5 demetria

demetria

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

Anything geared towards knowing yourself more deeply is also good. Many people get caught up trying to know everything and reading all these books.... Yet they dont know themselves yet. Divination can be helpful for knowing yourself sometimes, so can meditation.

Absolutely. I've found that divination is a key; it opens my psychic mind, helps me connect to the energies that flow through all things. And learning different types of divination means I've got keys to a lot of different doors, and can access different paths as needed. I started with runes, then learned tarot, scrying with a mirror, scrying with a crystal ball, pendulums, palmistry.

Pretty keen to continue learning; particularly bird augury, dowsing and astrology.

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:31 AM

It just depends on you. If you feel that divination helps you do magic and be successful, have at it. There are a few here who don't bother at all and the magic still works.

I am trying to get a set of finger bones though, figure I just never found the right medium. Not sure it will change anything though.

My will, my command...seems to work, for me. I don't have to 'connect' to magical energy though, I've been doing it since I was very very young.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

Divination and spellcraft are two completely different skills.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#8 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

I agree, RR. I've met many talented deviners who've never cast a spell.

Edited by Belwenda, 18 September 2015 - 03:33 PM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#9 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

And many spell casters who don't need to divine.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#10 Havilland

Havilland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

Personally, I don't like how the original post is written as a fact and maybe it's just a bad day, but it offended me. Many of us come from many walks of life and unless this forum has changed, it's not exactly a "how to be a witch" forum. As mentioned above - sure, for some people divination might help open them up, but it's not for everyone. For example, I work with flame with many of my spells but I would never tell people "For your spell craft to work you need to burn a candle." That's ridiculous. I do many spells - sometimes on the go - and I never just stop in the middle of the street to pull out a candle and glare furiously at some person I'm going to hex in hopes that the damn thing lights on a windy day.

You later say that divination is basically oil to the car. Again - I don't agree. I'm not saying all of this because I don't use divination, I do - on rare occasion. I do it more for other people than I do it for myself. One of my dearest friends can't cast a spell to save her life but she can divine in a blink of an eye. Rarely has divination played into my actual spellcraft.

I appreciate Travsha's response in which it is acknowledged that knowing ones self deeper is a plus and that divination can certainly be used for that - but there's also the acknowledgement about knowing the specific craft.

Bitchiness aside - I'm happy that it's helped you. That it's worked for you, but just because it does it doesn't mean everyone needs to follow suit. Be thoughtful in how you write a thread because if someone did come looking for guidance and hit a wall in their path because they just couldn't figure out divination ... and then didn't know how to move forward in their path that would be kind of sad. And I have to say - I have *never* laid around in star position when I do divination. Again, great for you, but don't tell other people that's how they find their path.

#11 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

I wouldn't shoot a gun blindly. I also wouldn't cast without prior divination.

My two cents.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#12 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

Divination and spellcraft are two completely different skills.

I agree, RR. I've met many talented deviners who've never cast a spell.

And many spell casters who don't need to divine.

This....all of it. I cast way more than I divine and feel like I'm way more gifted at casting than divining. I've maybe divined once before casting.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#13 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

I wouldn't shoot a gun blindly. I also wouldn't cast without prior divination.

My two cents.

But do you believe the future is set in stone? I've always been curious about the whole divining before casting. If you're concerned and/or not sure if your spell is going to work, how it's going to affect you, etc., aren't you kinda doubting yourself before you even start?

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#14 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:43 AM

But do you believe the future is set in stone? I've always been curious about the whole divining before casting. If you're concerned and/or not sure if your spell is going to work, how it's going to affect you, etc., aren't you kinda doubting yourself before you even start?

It's not about the future. It's about the present :) It's about ensuring that hex you wish to send to someone based on hearsay is actually deserved. It's ensuring your assumptions and theories are correct before pursuing a magical course of action. It's also a very good way of ensuring there aren't defences intact you weren't aware of such as a spirit attachment or protections placed by another over your target. Even if you're not working on a target- is someone watching you? Have you been hexed so subtly you're not aware of it and are now choosing to take a course of magical action which you wouldn't have necessarily before? I could go on and on about the various ways it could be potentially useful to ask before you act.

Really, I would have never considered it a question of doubt. My spell will work, but isn't it better to check if I really want it to ?

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#15 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:48 AM

I can use a variety of divination techniques with success. Divination is something I use quite often, for many different things. I will use divination before casting (not always though...), not because I doubt myself, but because I don't know everything about everything. Divination provides helpful insights into situations and offers perspective about people/things that I may have not have considered before. That helpful insight may alter my plans at times. I realize this is not the way everyone does things, but this is how I do things and it works well for me.

I can give you a recent specific example to this; Just as recent as the other day-I had been having a disruption in my home over the past few weeks. Something was very off. The usual spirits were not happy and something was affecting me. I knew I had brought a new female spirit in the home who had attached herself to a set of kem playing cards, that I purchased at an antique store. She had told me she was a jealous spirit, but I didn't think too much of it and went ahead and consecrated the cards for use. I figured I could handle her just fine. Well, she turned out to be more than just jealous. She turned out to be quite the little train wreck. I'll spare the details. At any rate, it was one of my trusty tarot decks giving me insight and finally my beloved pendulum that led me to the energy issues. Without those tools, I would have acted in a completely different manner, casting with only understanding of a part of the situation.

She is now unable to bother anyone (and hopefully she chooses to release her attachment and move on...). My divination tools were key to this situation.

Edited by Anara, 19 September 2015 - 10:49 AM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#16 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

+1 Pikkusisko (we posted at the same time..lol)

and +1 to Demetria as well

Edited by Anara, 19 September 2015 - 12:16 PM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#17 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:53 AM

It just depends on you. If you feel that divination helps you do magic and be successful, have at it. There are a few here who don't bother at all and the magic still works.

I am trying to get a set of finger bones though, figure I just never found the right medium. Not sure it will change anything though.

My will, my command...seems to work, for me. I don't have to 'connect' to magical energy though, I've been doing it since I was very very young.

Just an FYI if you haven't visited them yet...the bone room has finger bones. I know of one other seller that has them, but he sells them as talismans I think, if my memory serves me correctly.

#18 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

Pikku I could go on and on about the various ways it could be potentially useful to ask before you act.

Please do.

I always enjoy your posts and usually learn really interesting things from them. :vhappywitch:

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#19 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

I can use a variety of divination techniques with success. Divination is something I use quite often, for many different things. I will use divination before casting (not always though...), not because I doubt myself, but because I don't know everything about everything. Divination provides helpful insights into situations and offers perspective about people/things that I may have not have considered before. That helpful insight may alter my plans at times. I realize this is not the way everyone does things, but this is how I do things and it works well for me.

I can give you a recent specific example to this; Just as recent as the other day-I had been having a disruption in my home over the past few weeks. Something was very off. The usual spirits were not happy and something was affecting me. I knew I had brought a new female spirit in the home who had attached herself to a set of kem playing cards, that I purchased at an antique store. She had told me she was a jealous spirit, but I didn't think too much of it and went ahead and consecrated the cards for use. I figured I could handle her just fine. Well, she turned out to be more than just jealous. She turned out to be quite the little train wreck. I'll spare the details. At any rate, it was one of my trusty tarot decks giving me insight and finally my beloved pendulum that led me to the energy issues. Without those tools, I would have acted in a completely different manner, casting with only understanding of a part of the situation.

She is now unable to bother anyone (and hopefully she chooses to release her attachment and move on...). My divination tools were key to this situation.

_________
Hey...please do include the details!

I don't divine to see if a spell would work, but like others have said, I divine (not always) to see if my assumptions are correct, what obstacles my exist...

#20 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

_________
Hey...please do include the details!

I don't divine to see if a spell would work, but like others have said, I divine (not always) to see if my assumptions are correct, what obstacles my exist...

Bottom line-she wanted control and enjoyed manipulating. If you want the nitty gritty of the story I'd be happy to send you a pm, but I don't want the details in a public forum. Overall, it was a good learning experience in the realm of spirit work!