21 replies to this topic

#1 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:48 AM

A witch will smash their egg shells after use, as another witch may get half the egg shell and use to harm them or kill them.
Peacock feathers or ornaments in the home are bad luck.
Plaster of Paris ornaments in the home are bad luck.
New shoes on the table portends a death
A picture falling from the wall for no apparent reason portends a death.
Bird smashing in to a window portends a death.
Breaking a cobweb good luck.
To have clinging ivy growing on your home brings good luck.
If a cat sits before your front door and washers behind its ears,a visitor will cross your threshold.
Silver rings around the moon, rain in three days.
Always dip your new candles in salt water and let dry,as someone may have touched them in the store and have there vibe in them.
I have watched a lot of superstition stuff over the years and some of it is true.

#2 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:33 PM

This is very interesting. As a witch, I have always considered myself very "non" superstitious, if for no other reason than the simple fact that xtianity is steeped in the stuff.  But I suppose superstitions permeate most every belief system in some form or another..... :huh:

#3 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

The rings around the moon one has actually been proven true scientifically. Cirrus clouds typically show up a few days before a storm, and they float up above every other cloud at around 20,000 feet. They are very thin, so they are very hard to see. The way they are spread out, the water/ice in them floating around up in the air refracts light in a way that makes it look like there is a halo or ring around the moon or sun. The halos are seen more often around the moon, just because it is much easier to look at the moon than it is to look at the sun.

#4 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:37 PM

I've always thought of these as folk superstitions rather than specifically witch ones.  I know the history of the news shoes one and some of these I've not heard before.  I think they'd probably be local specific.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#5 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

A lot of my family superstitions deal with death omens...

Bird in the house predicts a death. Seeing an owl predicts a death. Put a hat on the bed? Someone gon' die. My grandma would slap an umbrella out of someone's hand before letting them open it indoors. Don't whistle while you're peeing cuz that'll bring bad luck (although I'm pretty sure she just said that because it annoyed her when the boys would whistle in the bathroom).

That side of family did a lot of gambling and so they had many interesting ways to come up with numbers for the lotto or which day to play cards. My grandma had one lucky quarter that she would use to scratch lotto tickets. And scratchers cards were ALWAYS in the Christmas stockings or birthday cards. It was a beautiful message from beyond when my uncle played the lotto on her birthday and won $25,000.

Another odd family tradition is buying things in threes, rather than two or four. I'm not sure where that originates but it's something I still as do many of my aunts and uncles and cousins. My psychaitrist says it's a symptom of obsessive compulsive disorder and he loves to call a lot of my superstitions "compulsions" but what does he know? Lol.

My great grandmother was a master at fishing and foraging for morels (because that was often how they fed the family) and she had all sorts of superstitions around those practices, which I need to document before my aunts and uncles lose them to aging memory. I know if she beleived that she'd been hexed to not catch any fish, she'd draw a picture of witch and wrap it in red thread and burn it. She would have been horrified if you'd call those folksy remedies and rituals "witchcraft" but it essential was. Granny magic and that sort of thing. She had grown up in Appalachia and I see a lot of similarity between Appalachian folk magic and the practices/superstitions of my family in northeastern Missouri.

#6 AuroraBaenSidhe

AuroraBaenSidhe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

There is a superstition in my family. I'm not really sure how it started. Maybe with my Grandma. She came to America from Ferrara Italy and one of my earliest memories of her was my sister and i rolling down the big hill in her backyard, then running to the top and doing it again. We were having fun and she was watching us and sipping her tea when the windchime which had been making merry tones all day suddenly made a dissonant almost ominous tone. My sister and I didn't think anything of it, but Grandma reacted immediately. She made us go inside and locked the doors. The next day I can remember asking her why she did that and she took me outside and pointed to the wind chime. She said "Well honey, when the chimes ring wrong, there's disaster before long." 

Come to find out later, a drunk driver hit a kid on a bike one street over. 

I've never forgotten that saying, and to this day everyone in the family keeps a wind chime, at least one; near the house. I have one in the front of the house and one in back, and sure enough, each time I notice a bad note something bad happens. 

Another family thing is the kitchen prayer. Again, my grandma started it or at least brought it over from Italy. It's definitely Christian but it goes like this:

Bless my little kitchen Lord,

I love its every nook.

And bless me as I do my work,

Wash pots and pans and cook.

May the meals that I prepare

Be seasoned from above

With Thy blessing and Thy grace

But most of all Thy love.

As we partake of earthly food

The table Thou has spread

We’ll not forget to thank Thee Lord

For all our daily bread.

So bless my little kitchen Lord

And those who enter in

May they find naught but joy and peace

And happiness therein.

Every woman in the family puts this or some version of it in their kitchen. Not sure you can call it a superstition, but a practice perhaps. 

Another one to do with cooking: This one I got from my mentor before I lost her. When cooking stir clockwise three times and counter clockwise three times to protect the food from negativity. I do this every time I cook now. 

Other small ones: Never open an umbrella in doors. Never allow a person in that the animals dislike. 

#7 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

Any time my father would spill salt he would always take a pinch and toss it over his left shoulder. He said it was to negate the bad luck of spilling the salt in the first place.

"Never allow a person in that the animals dislike". I really like this one, though it's a bit out of my hands for me. With two 80 pound hellhounds, if they dislike you, there's no way you're getting in! 

#8 AuroraBaenSidhe

AuroraBaenSidhe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

"Never allow a person in that the animals dislike". I really like this one, though it's a bit out of my hands for me. With two 80 pound hellhounds, if they dislike you, there's no way you're getting in! 

lol. I have a pit Bull and shes a sweetie pie. She barks alot but you can definitely tell when she means it and when she's just talking. So when that bark goes deep and her tail doesn't wag, I don't even answer the door.

#9 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:07 PM

Aww, I love pit bulls! I wish I could have one here. I've got a German shepherd mix who is scared of strangers, but unless you know how to read dogs really well, always comes across as scary (it doesn't help that she's all black). The chow chow mix is a giant teddy bear but every now and then he'll start warning me away from someone; I always listen.

#10 balefire

balefire

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:36 AM

"Never allow a person in that animals dislike."

I like this one a lot. I always took for granted that it could be considered a superstition.

#11 LumenRose

LumenRose

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

I'm Irish and we have a lot of superstitions. Here are a few I can think of off hand.

Throwing spilled salt over your shoulder.

Body parts itching or burning can mean different things. If your palms are itchy it means money is coming your way. Feet means you will walk on new ground. And ears mean someone is talking about you, right for spite and left for love.

If a black cat crosses your path it is good luck/bad luck (depending who you talk to!).

If a bird poops on you it is considered lucky!

If you see a funeral procession you should turn and walk 4 steps behind it before carrying on your way.

Always salute a magpie, it's bad luck not to!

Touching wood when you have said something and don't want to jinx it.

And one last really witchy one: If you find a four leaf clover you should carry it everywhere with you. Not only is it supposed to be lucky, but it prevents witches from cursing or hexing you!

*Edit* Also if you get a chill down your spine it means someone is walking over your grave!

Edited by LumenRose, 24 July 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#12 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:05 PM

When I was a wee tot I remember my dad telling me walking under a ladder was bad luck. He was painting the house at the time. Now I think of it, dad was the most non-superstitious person I know. Funny he would have said that.

#13 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

When I was a wee tot I remember my dad telling me walking under a ladder was bad luck. He was painting the house at the time. Now I think of it, dad was the most non-superstitious person I know. Funny he would have said that.

---------
Probably didn't want you under there for safety reasons.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#14 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:45 PM

Nah, in those days I climbed like a monkey with no fear of heights, and my "job" was to pick up the paint brush if he dropped it, and carry it back up to him...until mom caught me on the ladder, ahem.

I was one of those little demons parents frequently grabbed by the seat of the pants...like when I was going to break up a dog fight, climbed the rail at Niagara Falls, fed donuts to a skunk...they didn't see me when I rode my sisters 2-wheeler bike down the stairs.

I'm probably the reason dad wasn't superstitious, come to think of it. Sorry, off subject.

Edited by Zombee, 25 July 2016 - 10:59 PM.

#15 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

My mom's side of the family never called themselves witches but...

There was always a cinnamon besom by the front door to keep out bad spirits.

Peacock feathers inside were considered bad luck (until we got a black cat, then they became cat toys.)

No hats on the bed - sign of death.

Always had mint plants and rosemary for protection.

Bird pooping on you was good luck

If your nose was itchy - you'd have a fight or kiss a fool

If your ears rang or were itchy - someone was talking about you

If your hands were itchy - you'd be getting money

Crickets inside were considered good luck and were never to be killed

If you kill a spider inside, it will rain in 3 days

Ring around the moon meant rain

This rhyme: "Red skies at night, sailor's delight. Red skies in morning, sailors take warning."

I really like the wind chime one. I should get one of those.

#16 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:28 AM

Let's see... My grandparents were *very* disdainful of "old country superstitions", however they were halfway across the country, so I got my superstitious nature from my New England upbringing, lol.

Throwing salt over your left shoulder when you spill it
"Knock on wood" - if you say a bad thing might happen and you don't want it to, you knock on wood
Ears ringing, someone is talking about you
Sudden chill, someone's walking over your grave
Holding your breath when you walk past the cemetery
Red sky at night, delight/in the morning, warning

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#17 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Opening an umbrella in the house causes bad luck, was one of my mom's. She would yell at us if we did so.

#18 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

That is one I grew up knowing as well zombee.

#19 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:32 PM

Clean the soles of your shoes before leaving the cemetery or the ghosts will follow you home. Never sit or stand on a grave or tomb because that is disrespectful. Never look back as you leave a gravesite. Always dress up to visit the cemetery even if you only are there to pick up trash. Never bring anything home from a grave site. Don't whistle or sing at a grave site unless you are burying somebody. These are just some of the prohibitions my family taught me. They really did have me pegged from birth. Is it still superstitious when you know exactly what the reason is?

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#20 PrimalWitch

PrimalWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:02 PM

If a bird poops on you it is considered lucky!

Unless its a herring gull and you are me lol!  Used to work with/raise African Penguins at a zoo and the local gulls would be swarming during feeding time trying to steal the fish/squid being fed out.  I should be one of the most lucky people on the planet with the amount of times a gull has pooped on me (I don't consider penguin poop good or bad considering my job at the time haha).  Instead it's like I've been cursed! lol