Photo
- - - - -

Any good "potion" and/or elixir recipes?

potions magic elixirs recipes aphrodisiac aphrodisiacs tonics magical cooking love potions

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:11 AM

Does anyone have any good recipes for some good ole' fashioned potions and/or elixirs? I realize they're not one in the same, but nonetheless I'm looking for some good ideas for some recipes. Ideally I'd like a good aphrodisiac, a good one to help w/dreaming, and one for energy. Others are certainly welcome and encouraged.

Now most here know I do a lot of tinctures, teas, etc, even herbal honeys, but I've never made a good magical "potion" or especially an "elixir".... at least not one I've consumed myself. I don't mean philters either- I hope that's not confusing.

Come on MW, I'm counting on you for some ideas here :wink: :biggrin2:

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#2 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

Ever heard of the Ars Philtron, BRW?

Michele, thoughts? I know she used it extensively.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

Come on MW, I'm counting on you for some ideas here :wink: :biggrin2:

LOL. Sorry, darlin'. I customize everything to the individual situation so I don't have any "recipes".

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

The most recent was I made was used as a means to tweak someone's opinion of me. My bf's brother was not fond of me at all, so I whipped up a batch of broth which was essentially a potion and made soup from that. It worked very well - now he chats my ear off every time I see him, and has been considerably nicer and more trusting. The soup did, however, make him quite ill after he ate it - glued to the toilet all that night and the only one in the family with temporary flu-like symptoms. Whoops.

Whenever I generally think potions, I think of tiny bottle with a special, concentrated liquid in them. They can be this....but they don't have to be. They can hidden in many things. I've always made my morning coffee with magickal properties, and recently I made liquor infused with planetary herbs and intent, which all taste unique and amazing and they work like a charm.

Use your imagination. Screw recipes, they mean little to you anyway unless they are yours. Also, keep it simple. It'll work, trust me.

RSKHFMY

#5 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

http://api.ning.com/...MagicalOils.pdf

This is a link to a pdf version of Llewellyn's Complete Formulary of Magical Oils. The author is from my neck of the woods, Monroe, LA. That is about an hour from me. There is a bit of a Wiccan-y intro (it is a Llewellyn book, they publish a lot of wiccan stuff). But the formulas are pretty solid. It's not very well organized, but there are some good starting points and ideas.

I rarely use a formula or recipe straight out of the book, whether it's for magic or cooking. I always tailor it to fit my personal needs. Never have I done a ritual, spell, etc without personalizing it.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#6 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

The most recent was I made was used as a means to tweak someone's opinion of me. My bf's brother was not fond of me at all, so I whipped up a batch of broth which was essentially a potion and made soup from that. It worked very well - now he chats my ear off every time I see him, and has been considerably nicer and more trusting. The soup did, however, make him quite ill after he ate it - glued to the toilet all that night and the only one in the family with temporary flu-like symptoms. Whoops.

Whenever I generally think potions, I think of tiny bottle with a special, concentrated liquid in them. They can be this....but they don't have to be. They can hidden in many things. I've always made my morning coffee with magickal properties, and recently I made liquor infused with planetary herbs and intent, which all taste unique and amazing and they work like a charm.

Use your imagination. Screw recipes, they mean little to you anyway unless they are yours. Also, keep it simple. It'll work, trust me.

---------
I agree, this is how I do my potions. For love, I'd probably make up a spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, chilli. Basically herbs that correspond with love, passion and good old fashioned lust

Star x

#7 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

LOL. Sorry, darlin'. I customize everything to the individual situation so I don't have any "recipes".

Gosh dangit!! Any herbal honey infusion suggestions for a homemade elixir (like say, to go w/a Damiana tincture)?

Actually I was kinda looking for a cliche type of "small" potion thing, lol. You're so very right about whipping things up in a dash. I do utilize a lot of kitchen witch stuff when cooking, making teas, etc. I was curious if there were any good well known (or not well known) sweet elixirs for an aphrodisiac. I can always incorporate any of the "love/lust" herbs into my own cooking, was just interested in seeing if anyone had any good ideas. What type of liquor was it? Thanks for the advice btw RS :)

http://api.ning.com/...MagicalOils.pdf

This is a link to a pdf version of Llewellyn's Complete Formulary of Magical Oils. The author is from my neck of the woods, Monroe, LA. That is about an hour from me. There is a bit of a Wiccan-y intro (it is a Llewellyn book, they publish a lot of wiccan stuff). But the formulas are pretty solid. It's not very well organized, but there are some good starting points and ideas.

I rarely use a formula or recipe straight out of the book, whether it's for magic or cooking. I always tailor it to fit my personal needs. Never have I done a ritual, spell, etc without personalizing it.

Lol, same here! ;) I realized I do that w/ANY food recipe! I'm sure any good cook probably does. I'll see a recipe and be like, "it doesn't need this much sugar" or "I prefer this over that" sort of thing.

Thank you though for the link RL! Will def check it out.

I made a lot of my own condition oils (Hoodoo style)- money drawing, fast luck, etc.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#8 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

Ever heard of the Ars Philtron, BRW?

Michele, thoughts? I know she used it extensively.

No, that doesn't ring a bell Aurelian. I may have, but that name's not coming to me and I think I'd remember it. Now I wanna google it though since no one else replied to it! I'm assuming it's a type of philter though.

#9 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

Well here's a recipe I made for a friend that was successful but it was tailored for them so be cautious and research. Is this for you? Because I sense (I didn't mean to get a reading on you...it just happened) it's related to another health issue and It may be better to work on that.

I made a honey with 1 part cinnamon, 1 part ginger and 1/2 cardamon. Then filled a jar with rose petals and poured the honey in to fill 1/3. Then filled it to the top with whiskey. I let this sit for 4 weeks in a cool dark place.

To use it an infusion (tea) of damiana 1 teaspoon for 1 mug with a dash of Cayenne pepper was made. Left to steep for 5mins then strained. To this a tablespoon of cocoa powder was stirred in. Then the elixir is added, we found 1 1/2 teaspoons was the best amount.

Edit: forgot to say this was made with magical intent. Lots of chanting and focus of purpose. Each ingredient talked to and woken up. Lots of stirring and shaking of intent into the mixtures.

Edited by Gyreleaf, 23 August 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#10 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

No, that doesn't ring a bell Aurelian. I may have, but that name's not coming to me and I think I'd remember it. Now I wanna google it though since no one else replied to it! I'm assuming it's a type of philter though.

Book by Daniel Shulke. Also, pick up the books by Dale Pendle, particularly Pharmako/Poeia, it's right up your alley, you'll thank me later.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#11 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:44 AM

Well here's a recipe I made for a friend that was successful but it was tailored for them so be cautious and research. Is this for you? Because I sense (I didn't mean to get a reading on you...it just happened) it's related to another health issue and It may be better to work on that.

I made a honey with 1 part cinnamon, 1 part ginger and 1/2 cardamon. Then filled a jar with rose petals and poured the honey in to fill 1/3. Then filled it to the top with whiskey. I let this sit for 4 weeks in a cool dark place.

To use it an infusion (tea) of damiana 1 teaspoon for 1 mug with a dash of Cayenne pepper was made. Left to steep for 5mins then strained. To this a tablespoon of cocoa powder was stirred in. Then the elixir is added, we found 1 1/2 teaspoons was the best amount.

Edit: forgot to say this was made with magical intent. Lots of chanting and focus of purpose. Each ingredient talked to and woken up. Lots of stirring and shaking of intent into the mixtures.

Thank you for this! I'm loving the cardamon, cinnamon, ginger mix. I was thinking of starting another herbal honey w/a combo of those ingredients plus some roasted cacao nibs and vanilla. I may try this and tweak a bit (like w/the herbs I mentioned and brandy instead of whisky). :)

Book by Daniel Shulke. Also, pick up the books by Dale Pendle, particularly Pharmako/Poeia, it's right up your alley, you'll thank me later.

You my dear, are a lifesaver!!! In love w/them both already. :hugs:

#12 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:45 AM

Oh and thank you to MW too!! ;)

#13 Natty

Natty

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

This was my biggest pitfall when I was starting out. Intuitively I would know what I wanted to achieve and with a little research was able to reinforce my idea. Then I got too caught up in the technical process and began to question and second guess myself.

#14 ScyldisBlackbriar

ScyldisBlackbriar

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

Edit: forgot to say this was made with magical intent. Lots of chanting and focus of purpose. Each ingredient talked to and woken up. Lots of stirring and shaking of intent into the mixtures

Oh, my! This is THE aphrodisiac elixir! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

#15 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

I've taken to a reduction/extract method since I can't drink alcohol. Using a high proof alcohol (140+) you can steep many items in it for several months, strain it, then allow the remaining alcohol to evaporate. Works best with a clear spirit like vodka or something sweet like rum or cachaça. This is one of the basic essential oils extraction methods for non water soluble entheogens (otherwise can just be done by boiling in water to get the salts). if you don't know whether something is or isn't water soluble then look it up, and what's more is that some oils need to be heated to bind with other oils (i.e. cannabis). Here's a recipe for capsaicin extract, for example.

50 dried ghost peppers
Half gallon bottle of everclear
2 Mason jars (big enough to hold all the peppers)
cheesecloth
canning funnel
Patience
  • place dried peppers into the jar, pour everclear over it and close jar
  • let steep for 3-6 months
  • strain out the peppers with cheesecloth into another jar (may need to use the funnel)
  • leave jar with cheesecloth under the ring open until ALL the Everclear has evaporated this might take up to a month depending on the temperature of where you're storing it.
  • what's left should be an amber colored oil in the bottom of the jar. there isn't going to be much of it so collect it somehow.
  • Be careful with it and try not to use more than a drop of it at a time.
  • ffs don't get it in your eyes unless you're into that kind of thing :wink:

This should be helpful with having energy, capsaicin boosts metabolism.

Edited by Caps, 05 February 2016 - 01:50 AM.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#16 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

I have a really simple recipe for Ginger Ale.  I later found out, from a Chinese friend, that a similar tonic is used in Chinese medicine to aide longevity, and as an aphrodisiac!!!  Not exactly what I was aiming for, as I use it for I digestive aid, and basically, a nice fizzy drink LOL

6" ginger root (grated)

1 pint water

2 tablespoons clear honey

Simply boil the water, add the ginger and honey and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Drain off and discard the leftovers, cool the fluid and store in the fridge.

Then just pour a little (to your own taste) into a glass and add carbonated water.

Who knew I had the secret to a very long and 'active' future :P

Be nice or go away!

#17 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:35 AM

@aefre..I like that recipe.  It's simple and I enjoy fizz.

I got a Sodastream, and for a while was mixing up different concoctions. I had to develop all these special recipes. For me, it's more about the process of making a 'potion' then it is about the actual ingredients. I guess the ingredients matter, but nobody else would understand the magic behind it. People would scoff.

When I have a party, I always make special fizzy juice. It's the fizz that is important about that. 

I have been doing something with the coffee lately..It's a spell but I brew the coffee and put it in a special jar and keep it in the fridge and drink it over ice. The special jar has words on it..that's what the spell is about. At first I was drinking it with a particular blend of ingredients, that I had to make...then I stopped doing that and switched to black...Now it's cream and sugar, but sometimes it's black.

#18 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

@Belle, I love the idea of the special jar!  My problem is, my fridge is constantly being raided LOL  But maybe I could use this to my advantage, and have a 'peace, harmony and be extra nice to your mother' jar :)

Be nice or go away!

#19 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

This particular spell is not nice. I just used a jar that had a name on it from the manufacturer. The name is same as a person who broke into my house and robbed me, and threatened me with a weapon. So he has something coming. 'Brewing' is a process, and drinking the brew is symbolic for something....

I am not a mean person, but there are times when you have to take offensive measures. A person can't do that without a consequence, and he was fairly warned. 

I am sure you could use the idea in a positive way. 

I am thinking of a pennies from heaven jar...Where you put the pennies you find into the jar..as a prosperity spell. That is not something you would drink of course but after hearing about my spell, the drinking idea loses it's appeal. 

#20 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

I like to make rose water. If you are not using pesticides/fungicides on your own in your garden, then use fresh. If you buy you have to make sure they are organic as well. You don't want to drink poison.

You can simply boil fresh leaves in water until they lose color or steep them in a cup of water. There are more thorough ways as well you can Google.. But you can drink the water or use it in your face /body. It's great for matters or love/self love and easing depression/negativity.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: potions, magic, elixirs, recipes, aphrodisiac, aphrodisiacs, tonics, magical cooking, love potions