23 replies to this topic

#1 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:29 PM

Hi so I wanted to ask if anyone could give me a wee bit of advice. My little boy is autistic and has massive issues with anger and aggression, he is the hardest child to sneak things into drinks and pretty much only eats dry foods. I have had success with a blend of Bach flower essences I made and can just about get away with it in his black currant juice

However our current dilemma is that he has a sore throat, fever and upset tummy. He won't go near honey, lemon or chamomile and I can't think of a way of getting feverfew into him. We are giving him calpol and keeping him cool with a fan. I managed to burn a little eucalyptus in the lounge earlier to try and clean the room a bit, but then he got all upset about the smell

For anyone who doesn't already know, autistic people have incredibly strong/ heightened senses

Short of carrying on with calpol can you think of anything else I could try?

I might try a cord spell but usually for illness I take it away from the house and I don't know if I'll be able to do that. He loves his daddy but only mummy will do when he's poorly so he sticks to me like glue!!

Thanks for taking the time to read

Star x

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:22 AM

Will he eat feverfew leaves on a piece of bread? (They need to be fresh.) Or, catnip tea, maybe? Minty but not as strong as peppermint or spearmint.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:56 AM

Hi MW.
Definitely no to the feverfew on bread, if he can see green he screams and bites himself if I don't take it away. I hadn't thought of catnip. I wonder if I could hide an infusion in his beaker with a juice. Thank you for your help

The cats will be mighty put out with sharing their supplies lol

Star x

#4 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:08 AM

My baby brother has Asperger's syndrome. The food thing...I get it. The aversion to certain colors, smells and tastes is nothing new to me. Pepper-not just no but hell no. "What are those little black dots all over the food? I cannot eat that!!!"

To be honest I am just glad he is talking and interacting with me.

So here is my advice:

Keep with the calpol. Try maybe a minty ice cream, will he eat green colored things? Mint chocolate chip, maybe? Then sneak things into that. Or a minty milkshake with ice cream and MW's idea of catnip and feverfew, then sneak them into the milkshake. That will feel good on his throat. You may even be able to sneak some honey in, but his taste buds are probably like a sommelier, since he's autistic. May not be worth the fit it could induce, and with him being sick...that would only make him feel worse, leading to more hell...vicious cycle. In my baby brother's case, at least, that's how it would go.

But then again, the milky stuff might just make the snot worse. So a minty fruit smoothie, maybe? A catnip-y fruity one? The sore throat and icky tummy combo makes it tough. I don't know. If it were one of mine I'd be trying everything, so I understand.

It gets really humid where I live. But my son's doctor is always recommending using a cool-mist humidifier when he's sick, so I put an infusion of menthol and strong lavender in the reservoir for the water on the humidifier, and the herbs help open up his airways. It helps him breathe a little easier if there is a lot of mucus.

There is an old hoodoo trick for colds...Take a lock of your baby's hair while he's sick, and butter some bread. Maybe use a bit of cold cuts from the fridge. Dogs can't catch colds, so take the little sandwich and feed it to a black dog, "feeding" them your son's cold. Its been a while for that one, for me anyway.

Good luck. Hope he feels better.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#5 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:29 AM

I have an 11 year old cousin with Asperger's, his mom (my cousin also) often has to get him into moods to eat things by allowing him to select certain music or photography to look at before eating. Visual and aural stimulation of his choice seems to occupy him enough that she can get him to eat. People with autism are all so very different and I don't know if there's a catch-all answer to this. Maybe this is helpful?
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#6 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

In my family we all got whacked by the aspie stick in varying degrees. Completely sympathise with how difficult it must be right now.

Maybe try making honey lollypops with lemon flavouring? This looks like an alright recipe: http://www.ourhomema...llipops-recipe/

A bowl of flavoured ice cubes by the bed to play with and taste? Could even put a toy in there and pretend it's climbing glaciers.

Failing that I would make lemon jello and sweeten with honey (maybe quite dense so it's like gummies). That's cold, but not too cold, and should slide down easy.

Could always add a lot of good, attractive energy into these things when making them. Might make him think twice before rejecting them.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

Have u taken him to the doc to see if he needs antibiotics? The health care industry frowns upon herbal remedies for children.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#8 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies

I don't believe antibiotics are always necessary as kids get over prescribed and then they don't work when they need to. I used to be a nurse, so I keep a close eye. For me, western medication is the "alternative "

Rachel lol yes pepper gets spotted at a hundred yards! Actually you and pikkusisko are both on the same page as me! I put lavender in the fan water reservoir. That went down well, I thought he might scream if the water vapour got him wet, but he loved it! Then I put catnip in ice cubes and we had a contest to see whose melted first/ last. He wouldn't drink it when it got really small as he said he didn't want the "vegables " to touch his lips lol. But he would have got some in the juice which is cool

Today he's really picked up, he's talking non stop which is usual for him, mostly repetitive speech but at least he's not all lethargic anymore

He said to me yesterday, mummy you're not gonna give me lemon and honey are you? You always try to give me that when I'm poorly, and I keep telling you honey is for bears not children lol

Star x

#9 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

Honey is for bears...love it!

Funny, that, because my little boy always wants to watch/read Little Bear when he's sick. Something about Maurice Sendak's writing and the art style, I think, that he loves. It's comforting.

Glad to hear he is doing better :)

Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#10 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

Edited by Aurelian, 16 December 2016 - 11:13 PM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

How so u make a water based tincture?
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#12 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

I meant tea....I was WELL benzo'd when I typed that, give me no shit, woman :fucku:
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#13 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Well Benzo'd...

LMAO! :roflhard:

:abduct: Alakazam, benzodiazapine!!!!

#14 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

Lol benzo'd. Now there's an old memory from my misspent youth lol

He won't touvh lemon and honey, he tells me honey is for bears not children lol.

He's alright now though, thanks guys xx

Star x

#15 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Glad he's feeling better! :)
Next time, you could try rubbing his chest & feet soles w/ balm of gilead salve while he's sleeping. (Or eucalyptus) That's what I do with my kids.

Edited by westofthemoon, 22 August 2015 - 11:09 PM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#16 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

Thanks westofthemoon, unfortunately we can't use that on him as his sense of smell is so strong, he can't tolerate it
Star x

#17 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

I was a super-sensitive child, and used to recover most quickly when I was in charge of directing my own treatment. Thankfully, the crisis has passed, but perhaps you could discuss with your child what remedies he would best be comforted by in case of future illness? His uneasiness about foreign and suspicious substances might ease up and seem more manageable if he has some familiarity and feels himself more in charge of the situation. Trying to sneak things into food... I don't do that to my picky eater. I tell him exactly what unpleasant symptoms will arise from refusing to do what his body needs, and we work out something he can endure... I may have been unduly influnced by a certain Shelley Long character. Huh.

My best fever remedy was a bag of ice. I would hold it and put it on my temples, armpits, and the back of my neck. I also had a simple prayer to recite, although I cannot recall it any longer. My point is, there a many non-chemical methods that work well on fever. He might like to have a squirt bottle of ice water, you could put a spell on the bottle. By spelling the vessels he eats and drinks from, you may be able to improve his general health and viral resistance without screwing with the few things he can bear to eat. I have never tried this, just throwing it out there.

Good luck.

Edited by Christine, 23 August 2015 - 05:49 PM.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#18 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:14 AM

Genius advice, Christine. +1

#19 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

Basil and garlic if you can manage it alot of kids will eat both mixed well into spaghetti it helps them sweat the fever out

#20 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

...I wouldn't say genius. An autistic person may be unable to perform an imaginative self-assessment on the level necessary to give consent to potential treatments. Also, I can't really recommend a spell to use on serving vessels. So there are some huge flaws. I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.