Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aurelian

The dreaded inventory

I just stick those little incense burner charcoals on the stove till they're good an glowing. The chemicals in them won't hurt you, they're not concentrated enough.

But yeah, don't use the charcoal grill stuff!

And I'm so glad I happened into this thread tonight! No more fucking wasting my blowtorches (aka my big ass lighters) on those things anymore!! Or burning my fingers if I dare use a match, which I rarely do. I only use those for candles mostly.

I have a largish cabinet shelf dedicated to supplies and use repurposed jam jars and tupperware for most of the herbs; though truth be told- some are preeeetttty old and probably should be given the toss- along with those charcoal blocks for burning stuff.. which I will never use.

My mentor has a bunch of jars lined one the very top shelves of her shop w/a wide range of items from sand from several different beaches, to certain waters in mason jars, to moonshine, absinthe (not illegal to possess or make here, just to buy), and even this big fucking English Mandrake root that just sits in the jars!!! It drives me bonkers- particularly bc some of those items could be put to good use....I'm just saying :wink:

Spice jars, kilner jars, suspect English version of mason jars. Everything labelled. Then small craft jars, i have a customized case, which can hold small corked jars so i have a set that can travel, safely, with me if i need it. Holds about 100...I have an old arched oak cabinet to house most of the main jars. I think i might be a nerd.... my bloke made me a database that lists what i currently have, what i'm missing for certain recipes and where i can source it.... seriously...weblinks etc... but i have to remember to update it. It even works out the costings for different quantities of a recipe!

I have a reburbished an old hutch and dresser and placed them together and I place all my herbs in mason jars or recycled jars and I use a label maker marking the name of the herb and the date it was purchased. Actually, since this all the herbs in it, I placed it in the dining room. The dresser holds the candles and other supplies.

When I start to use herbs it'll be pretty easy to keep track. There are few things I fetishize, stationery and kitchen storage are two of them. Most of my cooking herbs have a glass jar each, labeled. In fact some things I have glass jars separately for ground ones and whole ones. I havea wooden rack for commonly used spices and others are in open top boxes that have handles (you can get then from a shop called Wilkos in UK) for easy removal from the cupboard. I can't stand disorganisation in the kitchen. Can I recommend you never keep ground cloves very long... grind them as you need them. When they go rancid, it smells like old piss!

I use them containers for food from the supermarket that you throw a way,cost a few bucks for a dozen and store them in a big plastic storage container which don't cost much.all are stackable is one good thing and cheap. msy cost $20 to store 50 odd herbs

So, I'm pretty sure the answer is no- but: Does anyone know if there is a way to definitively tell the difference between European Mandrake and American a.k.a. mayapple after it has been chopped and dried? I have some "Mandrake" that is supposed to be the real deal but I'd like to be sure for obvious reasons or I will probably never use it. I have found that some VENDORS do not even understand there is a difference. This stuff is so hard to come by in the states you would not believe it. I bought some seeds FROM ISRAEL -seriously. They were the real deal BUT the seeds wouldn't germinate. Sigh.

I have an old cedar-lined sweater trunk that's lockable (and oh-so-easy to move) where I keep magical supplies.

Herbs are in small ziplock bags, labeled with marker...stacked in open-top display boxes that allow me to easily to see and grab what's needed

Poisonous / toxic herbs are separated from the others, duh... in the same type of easy access box.

A Corresponding 'Current Witchy Cabinet' list is on my laptop and phone.

The trunk doubles as a work table or temporary altar, too.

I have a big plastic tub with the herbs all labelled with common names - but I am planning a trip to Ikea to get some of their dirt cheap clip top jars (it's two hours away so I actually have to want to make the effort). Once I finish my tiny house studio it will be my workshop and store (for my herbal wares) so I'll have them set up in jars all apothecary style. Although I am still thinking of getting smaller jars and having some in my regular house strictly for witchy use. I haven't quite decided as yet.