Photo
- - - - -

The dreaded inventory

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

How do you use them inside without asphixiating yourself?

Oh it's fine indoors-- IF you are speaking of those little round charcoal hockey pucks, that you use one at a time for burning resin and whatnot. Regular charcoal chunks like for cooking on a grill? No! Do not do that! That would be bad!

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#22 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

I let it burn to a cinder outside on the porch before I brought it in. I've used charcoal briquettes for the grill in a pinch. Tossed it on the grill, got it hot and when the white ash formed, thru it in the brass container and in I went.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#23 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

I just stick those little incense burner charcoals on the stove till they're good an glowing. The chemicals in them won't hurt you, they're not concentrated enough.

But yeah, don't use the charcoal grill stuff!

Edited by Aurelian, 21 August 2015 - 07:49 PM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#24 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:44 PM

I just stick those little incense burner charcoals on the stove till they're not an glowing.

Now that's a freakin good idea!! Here I've been struggling with a lighter/matches all this time! DOH!

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#25 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

For Hoodoo purposes/spellwork, I'll keep them longer than I would for medicinal purposes of course. I still think they're potent enough for use in certain spells. Some herbs get stronger when they're dried and some weaker. If you have some herbs that you've had for a while that you don't want to part with, look it up and see if its components are stronger or weaker when dried. That might help you make a decision, idk?

As far as inventory, LMAO! Holy shit you should see my kitchen. I'm not sure I can find actual food in the cupboards anymore! Yikes! For medicinal herbs I keep them in the kitchen in airtight containers, especially bc I use them more frequently. For herbs I use more for magical (Hoodoo) purposes, I keep them separated by action (i.e, love herbs, prosperity herbs, hexing herbs, etc.) in smaller plastic baggies, always making sure to keep as much air out of them as possible, like closing the bag as soon as I pull the herb out for example. I keep those herbs stored in several different boxes (usually separated by action again) that fix inside two of my working drawers in my dresser.

You could always test the herb by holding it in your hand and seeing if you get a strong "feeling" from it. Kind of like holding a stone or something that just buzzes w/power.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#26 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

I just stick those little incense burner charcoals on the stove till they're good an glowing. The chemicals in them won't hurt you, they're not concentrated enough.

But yeah, don't use the charcoal grill stuff!

And I'm so glad I happened into this thread tonight! No more fucking wasting my blowtorches (aka my big ass lighters) on those things anymore!! Or burning my fingers if I dare use a match, which I rarely do. I only use those for candles mostly.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#27 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:59 AM

I have a largish cabinet shelf dedicated to supplies and use repurposed jam jars and tupperware for most of the herbs; though truth be told- some are preeeetttty old and probably should be given the toss- along with those charcoal blocks for burning stuff.. which I will never use.

My mentor has a bunch of jars lined one the very top shelves of her shop w/a wide range of items from sand from several different beaches, to certain waters in mason jars, to moonshine, absinthe (not illegal to possess or make here, just to buy), and even this big fucking English Mandrake root that just sits in the jars!!! It drives me bonkers- particularly bc some of those items could be put to good use....I'm just saying :wink:

#28 nemi

nemi

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:38 AM

Spice jars, kilner jars, suspect English version of mason jars. Everything labelled. Then small craft jars, i have a customized case, which can hold small corked jars so i have a set that can travel, safely, with me if i need it. Holds about 100...I have an old arched oak cabinet to house most of the main jars. I think i might be a nerd.... my bloke made me a database that lists what i currently have, what i'm missing for certain recipes and where i can source it.... seriously...weblinks etc... but i have to remember to update it. It even works out the costings for different quantities of a recipe!

#29 snelson1199

snelson1199

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

I have a reburbished an old hutch and dresser and placed them together and I place all my herbs in mason jars or recycled jars and I use a label maker marking the name of the herb and the date it was purchased. Actually, since this all the herbs in it, I placed it in the dining room. The dresser holds the candles and other supplies.
Sandy

#30 Forester

Forester

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

When I start to use herbs it'll be pretty easy to keep track. There are few things I fetishize, stationery and kitchen storage are two of them. Most of my cooking herbs have a glass jar each, labeled. In fact some things I have glass jars separately for ground ones and whole ones. I havea wooden rack for commonly used spices and others are in open top boxes that have handles (you can get then from a shop called Wilkos in UK) for easy removal from the cupboard. I can't stand disorganisation in the kitchen. Can I recommend you never keep ground cloves very long... grind them as you need them. When they go rancid, it smells like old piss!

Edited by Godless, 07 September 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#31 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:09 AM

I use them containers for food from the supermarket that you throw a way,cost a few bucks for a dozen and store them in a big plastic storage container which don't cost much.all are stackable is one good thing and cheap. msy cost $20 to store 50 odd herbs

#32 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:35 AM

So, I'm pretty sure the answer is no- but: Does anyone know if there is a way to definitively tell the difference between European Mandrake and American a.k.a. mayapple after it has been chopped and dried? I have some "Mandrake" that is supposed to be the real deal but I'd like to be sure for obvious reasons or I will probably never use it. I have found that some VENDORS do not even understand there is a difference. This stuff is so hard to come by in the states you would not believe it. I bought some seeds FROM ISRAEL -seriously. They were the real deal BUT the seeds wouldn't germinate. Sigh.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#33 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:22 AM

I have an old cedar-lined sweater trunk that's lockable (and oh-so-easy to move) where I keep magical supplies.

Herbs are in small ziplock bags, labeled with marker...stacked in open-top display boxes that allow me to easily to see and grab what's needed

Poisonous / toxic herbs are separated from the others, duh... in the same type of easy access box.

A Corresponding 'Current Witchy Cabinet' list is on my laptop and phone.

The trunk doubles as a work table or temporary altar, too.

Edited by Nikki, 06 December 2015 - 06:44 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#34 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:10 AM

I have a big plastic tub with the herbs all labelled with common names - but I am planning a trip to Ikea to get some of their dirt cheap clip top jars (it's two hours away so I actually have to want to make the effort). Once I finish my tiny house studio it will be my workshop and store (for my herbal wares) so I'll have them set up in jars all apothecary style. Although I am still thinking of getting smaller jars and having some in my regular house strictly for witchy use. I haven't quite decided as yet.
"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix