Photo
- - - - -

The dreaded inventory

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

Ok, you wicked lot, I have finally decided to make an inventory of my herbs. This is no easy task, as they are spread out all over the damn house, in boxes, drawers, cabinets, some non-toxics in my kitchen, out in plain sight in certain cases, etc.

How do you guys keep this all straight? Is there a specific sorting method you use? I don't have a giant witchy cabinet, and my 'working room' is not suitable for the task right now, as it's being renovated.

Also, what do you consider too old for magical use? Seriously, I dread throwing my precious herbs out, some of these are incredibly difficult to find and have been gifted to me over years by my peers. I know all the hoodoo tricks to wake them up, blow life into them, etc.

Thoughts, lot?

Impress me, I hardly EVER start threads. LOL!

:biggrin2:

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:43 AM

I keep all mine in ziplock bags, properly labeled, of course. These are stored in two large plastic tubs, "A-L" and "M-Z", sorted by the common names I know them by. Yes, I still have to sort through the tub to find the appropriate bag but it takes much less time than looking all over billy hell.

Because all my herbs do at least double- if not triple-duty, I won't keep them beyond their medicinal use - generally a couple of years. My thinking is if they're not potent for cooking or medicine, then they're not potent for magic. Depends on the herb, though. I have cloves that are 5 years old & still pass the freshness test. I know what each of my herbs smells like freshly-dried (they all smell like something, you just have to train your nose) & when they don't smell like that anymore, they get composted.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:22 AM

I usually don't go past a year, depending upon what it is. I'd say feel the energy off it, if possible - some stuff resonates longer than others.

RSKHFMY

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:28 AM

I used to have a ton of herbs... right now I have very few. I have just been buying what I need when I need it (if it isn't grown locally) in small amounts and using it. I do have a few things I use all the time for incense (including resins) and smudging, and those I have in little bags in a wood bowl on my kitchen table (along with my laptop, the cat's food and water bowls, a multitude of books, even more notebooks, a jar of pens and pencils, a ceramic jar with my earrings (I always seem to take them off at the computer, lol), a jar of different glues, several rocks, several candles in varying degrees of burnt-ness, a few bottles of vitamins... need I go on? lol)...

M

#5 ayaska

ayaska

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

I also keep mine in ziplock bags with little slips of paper inside with their names. The bags are sorted alphabetically in a big tea box(the kind that is divided in little sections) On the box lid I'll be attaching a list with the common name and the old herb names- like ,,eye of newt" ect.

Generally I test the dried herbs by crushing a little piece and if it still releases a strong scent it's still good in my book.

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

I write directly onto the ziplocks. I love Sharpies. Whatever's not in a bag is in a mason jar.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#7 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

I use the "giant clusterfuck" method of organization.

Here's how it works:

Move house. Move again. Then, let your Muggle ex-husband pilfer through your stuff trying to pack and unpack then re-pack it. Then throw it in a barn, and let the witch sort it out. Pray the goats don't eat the mugwort or wolfsbane.

If you find something that works, share it, please! My shit is a hot mess, too.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#8 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

I think I'm going to have to go with MW's method of gigantic storage boxes, as well as smaller one for the banefuls. Double-ziplocked, in some cases.

I have to say, though, that there is a certain entertainment value in telling people not to touch my shit...."Oh, what's this?

...they go to open bag to sniff it...

"Powdered baneberries, D-con, and water hemlock ground together, you idiot! Put that back!"

Yes, I was about to use it, but even SOME witches have less than any kind of clue, even when you WARN them you're not a very nice witch!

Thx guys!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#9 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

This was very timely for me along the lines of what to keep as opposed to how to organize--I have a few herbs about 2 or maybe 3 years old that still smell and taste strong enough, so I hoped they were still viable. This thread help solidify keeping them.
I tend to have small amounts of most herbs, and use labeled small jelly jars (the really small ones, possibly 4oz??) to store them in a drawer away from the light. Oof, some of them? I'd hate to say how old, lol. ah well . . .

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#10 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:54 PM

I used to have a ton of herbs... right now I have very few. I have just been buying what I need when I need it (if it isn't grown locally) in small amounts and using it. I do have a few things I use all the time for incense (including resins) and smudging, and those I have in little bags in a wood bowl on my kitchen table (along with my laptop, the cat's food and water bowls, a multitude of books, even more notebooks, a jar of pens and pencils, a ceramic jar with my earrings (I always seem to take them off at the computer, lol), a jar of different glues, several rocks, several candles in varying degrees of burnt-ness, a few bottles of vitamins... need I go on? lol)...

M

I love the now very sharp image I have of your kitchen table. :)
PS Hi Michele!! Long time . . .

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#11 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:52 PM

Hii !!!!!!!!!

M

#12 Kaye

Kaye

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:17 PM

Besides cullinary herbs, I really don't keep much around. Some herbs can be hard to come by here, so I generally try growing what I need, the weather is temperate enough that I can have most things growing all year. That said, I tend to go for small zip-lock bags, or I'll reuse small spice jars. I have a collection of pretty little bottles, but they don't seal well enough to store herbs in. To keep track of what I have I keep a list in a notebook, just saves going through drawers to find if I still have that thing or not :P

#13 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

I doubt that anyone would be impressed with my storage. I use the purloined letter method, lots of repurposed jars muddled all together and labelled on masking tape. Only the baneful stuff even gets its own cabinet, not because I would mistake the label (I have excellent handwriting) but because they demand a certain amount of respect. So yeah, a clattering of clean jars for storing and steeping. Our kitchen has a breakfast nook with its own eastern window and tiny radiator and since six won't fit in for breakfast, it's where I keep and prepare a lot of our hebs and things, and raise bread. What ought not go in the kitchen stays in the bedroom until I have time to set the garage in order.

The one neat thing I do have was my grandfather's innovation, a gardener who installed glass shelving in front of, not below but rather right across the width of, several windows. It's extraordinarily good for all manner of uses, and I also grow certain potted plants on them.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#14 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

I have a largish cabinet shelf dedicated to supplies and use repurposed jam jars and tupperware for most of the herbs; though truth be told- some are preeeetttty old and probably should be given the toss- along with those charcoal blocks for burning stuff.. which I will never use.
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#15 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

I have a largish cabinet shelf dedicated to supplies and use repurposed jam jars and tupperware for most of the herbs; though truth be told- some are preeeetttty old and probably should be given the toss- along with those charcoal blocks for burning stuff.. which I will never use.

I never use them either! They end up in a heap in the bottom of some forgotten drawer, making a black charcoal-y mess. Now I don't feel so bad... :blush:

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#16 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Those charcoal blocks are awesome for loose herbs. Years ago I had picked up brass stuff from the craft store (I think I paid $3 for the biggest one) and filled it halfway with playground sand. It's a great base for the charcoal.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#17 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

reused jars and mason jars mostly sharpie written masking tape tags or nifty chalkboard sticker tags

#18 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:24 AM

It depends on the herbs really, water soluble trace chemicals tend to go stale more than oils. Magically? I don't know for sure. I just recently did a massive inventory of many things including magical items and realized that sometimes it can be haphazard to just discard them so I tried to hold on to them or use them if it's a plant or something.
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#19 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:58 PM

Those charcoal blocks are awesome for loose herbs. Years ago I had picked up brass stuff from the craft store (I think I paid $3 for the biggest one) and filled it halfway with playground sand. It's a great base for the charcoal.

How do you use them inside without asphixiating yourself?

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#20 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

I will most likely be getting rid of a large amount of my herbs. I don't use that many of them regularly enough to keep so many in jars. I am getting ready to move into a much smaller place. Going from 2,540 square feet to just under 1,200 square feet. I am also losing my own private room for storing my witchy items. So I will be scattering a lot of the older and less used herbs to the winds and thanking them. I will probably only keep a few specific herbs that I use the most. (mugwort, mullein, wormwood, rosemary, lavender, jimson weed, belladonna, chicory, and corn meal)
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery