Elementals

Dark Phoenix

btw, which tradition does the word elementals come from? I must admit I've only heard it in wicca.

Whatever you call them and whatever tradition you are Im sure they are just different names for the same things.

I have often wanderd about the salamander thing ???

So have I actually. I haven't had any other name for them. It does seem that fire is associated with lizard like creatures.

I have heard the theory that a salamander would be in a log, and the log thrown on the fire and then the salamander would crawl out when his house was on fire. And so be assoicated with coming from the fire. Though in all the years I have been around fire I never seen it happen, then again I suppose the log would have to be rotted or hollow or at least have loose bark the salamander could have crawled under to have this happen. Maybe I am just too picky about the wood I burn in my fires? *shrugs*

So have I actually. I haven't had any other name for them. It does seem that fire is associated with lizard like creatures.

I guess it would depend on how different the traditions are.

Now I am not sure if I am correct in this, but are the "elementals" representations of the four elements?

I do not equate the four directions to the four elements.

btw, which tradition does the word elementals come from? I must admit I've only heard it in wicca.

Whatever you call them and whatever tradition you are Im sure they are just different names for the same things.

I live in a very cold, old house and have a fire every night in the winter. Occasionally, when I am half dozing in front of it, I see a flicker of salamanders dancing in the flames. When I look closely and focus...they are gone! :gumbert:

Guest Bean Sprite

I sometimes wonder if the fae people haven't moved into my house.

Things will come up missing that I clearly put there. I will tear the house up looking for the object, to no evail, then kindly ask the fae for help and the object will appear where I had already looked a thousand times over.

I've never seen them, but it doesn't mean they aren't there.

Thanks, for answering my question. I want to be sure I am understanding what folks are talking about.

Now your second sentence brings up another question though. The use of the term elemental as used by some Traditional witches, what would this refer to? Forces of nature? Weather? Or am I way off?

In Wicca, some ceremonial and some neo-pagan traditions - yes. Traditioanl witches sometimes ascribe the term elemental to other forces though.

Now your second sentence brings up another question though. The use of the term elemental as used by some Traditional witches, what would this refer to? Forces of nature? Weather? Or am I way off?

If you read this thread, right through from the first page, your question will be answered. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Domowije and Kikimora which are house spirits. Domowije is a grandfather house spirit, and the Kikimora is a female house spirit. I have always asked them to move with me to a new home each time. As for practical jokers there are ones called Djabelek, there imps that love to have fun with you. When things disapear I know the Djabelek hid it from me.

Well, we have moved into our apartment and I did my ritual to invite our house spirits to our new home. I hadn't noticed my Domowije here yet - but I believe so now. But Kikimora is - traditionally she stays around the stove. Shortly after we moved in of course I was baking & cooking, new stove for me - it's electric and have to learn how to cook on it and use it, different from gas ones.

Anyhow the light above the stove was flickering real bad and I went over there and noticed that the stove top was real hot. I had used the oven and turned it to off, but not use to this stove I guess I didn't turn it off all the way - I have found that if you turn the dial to off it doesn't go off you have to have it slightly before the off on the dial. Anyhow as soon as I got over to the stove the light stopped flickering. Then the other night my husband turned off the stove for me and a in a little while the light started flickering, I went over to the stove and it was hot again (funny when you use the oven the top does not get hot, but when you don't turn it off right it does, stove/range works can't replace it per the manager). So I called my husband over and told him he did not turn the oven off right and showed him the little trick - and of course the light stopped flickering. Thanks to Kikimora once again for keeping my kitchen running smoothly.

Tuesday we were going over to the old house to finish getting boxes out of the barn and I wanted to bring my camera to take pics of the house. I had my keys to the house and already had my camera in my purse, when we got there, he went to the barn and I went up to the house went to unlock it and no house keys or camera. When we got to the apt we both looked high and low for the keys and the camera, could not find it. So I asked my Domowije (keeps house & barns running smoothly) to get the keys and camera back from the Djabelek who I was sure hid them.

Yesterday I went to the bank got some money out and put it in my wallet, my husband wanted to go to the store to get some sodas and went into my purse to get the money, right there on top of my wallet was the camera and the key to the old house on top of that. So as of last night I know he is now here too. (I think he stayed at the old house until we got the last of the things out of the barn). I usually have a slice of bread out for them, maybe a little milk, and if there are ants or bugs I will just use vodka. It's nice knowing that they are around.

I do believe in house and land spirits. We do have some around our house and they love to play jokes on us by moving things. They also watch out for us. My husband's grandmother lives with us and is a diabetic that we cannot keep sweets away from. She got two cookies one night, sneaking them, and when she went to eat the second one, she swears something knocked it out of her hand and she couldn't find where it went. We found it the next day underneath the recliner. lol

When we notice things going missing, we usually leave an offering of bread and milk or honey on the back porch and the house starts running more smoothly again. ;)

We refer to them as brownies, because I do believe I saw one from the corner of my eye one day when I was pulling out the vacuum cleaner, something brown and furry, about the height of a basketball, darted across our living room. But that's the only time I've had a glimpse.

Yes I was refering to them as they are what I consider elementals. Plus that's what I thought you were refering too..:blondmoment:

I don't know much about the Sidhe or those fairies. Do you know of any good sites or books that have the mythology/lore related to them I could look up for information? I've seen some references to them on other forums, but no one has gone into detail about them.

Personally I believe all types of spirits and "mythical" creatures like Dragons and Unicorns exist. How you work with them and perceive them is going to depend on your practice and tradition.

I'm open to exploring the different spirits of various traditions. It's an area of witchcraft and Magic that I don't have much (if any) experience with.

What Ancestral Celt said:

The four elementals are:

Undines - Water

Sylphs - Air

Gnomes - Earth

Salamanders - Fire

but they're not generally the same as faeries, little folk, leprechauns, pixies, etc.. *

though I've read of some people including Sprites in the list as the spirit elementals.

Elementals aren't Wiccan in origin, (I think they originated in Ceremonial Magic and Alchemy? ) though Wiccans call them to the four corners, as they associate each corner with an element.

*I've seen some websites that do refer to them as "Fae", but I think in this day and age when anyone can post a blog or website the real history quickly gets muddled.

Wicca is a religion created by Gerald Gardener from various sources and influences, including things from Ceremonial Magic and Alchemy. The particular usage of "elementals" being called into the four directions is Wiccan.

I was a little confused by the references of little people and the word "elementals" too. If you read the thread again (I know I had to) you will find there are two usages of the word elementals going on here, as was pointed out to me in this thread. :)

What Ancestral Celt said:

The four elementals are:

Undines - Water

Sylphs - Air

Gnomes - Earth

Salamanders - Fire

but they're not generally the same as faeries, little folk, leprechauns, pixies, etc.. *

though I've read of some people including Sprites in the list as the spirit elementals.

Elementals aren't Wiccan in origin, (I think they originated in Ceremonial Magic and Alchemy? ) though Wiccans call them to the four corners, as they associate each corner with an element.

*I've seen some websites that do refer to them as "Fae", but I think in this day and age when anyone can post a blog or website the real history quickly gets muddled.

• 4 months later...
Guest panther

I have to agree with Ancestral Celt, Faerie are very strong and not always easy to deal with, they deserve the utmost respect. Be careful what you wish for is very good advise!

• 2 years later...

Greetings all,

Has anyone had any experiences with elementals? If not do you believe in them and Why? (Gnomes, Lepercauns, Fairies, etc)

Joe :cool:

Greetings,

I use an Elemental Host. They are not Fairies or Leprechauns or anything like Undines. They are associated with the4 elements and their winds. There is a fifth element. The center, such as at a Crossroads. It's associated with the principle of animation.

I have a Gruagach. A house spirit. She doesn't like it when I let the house get too messy and she will rattle things in the cupboards until I get things in order, her order :).

Brea

Tao also uses 5 elements, and attributes directions to them.

To say that Element/Direction correspondences are strictly Wiccan would be misleading.

Here is an example of the 5 elements of Tao. This explains it better than I could.

http://www.taopractice.org/dragonfly/3/pdf/04-FireEarthMetalWaterWood.pdf

Gardner used what he had learned about Ceremonial magic and the Golden Dawn to create Wicca.

Directional attributes of the elements predates Gardner by quite a bit.

I prefer to work with elemental energies, no I do not attribute the Wiccan Undines, salamanders, etc to each element.

Thank You

Rollaj

I prefer to work with elemental energies, no I do not attribute the Wiccan Undines, salamanders, etc to each element.

Do you mean 'the elements' such as wind, rain, solar energies, etc? This is what I use, I also include Lunar energies, tides/sea/beaches/dunes (when I'm near the sea) and Earth. Thunder storms, hail storms

Wind is a huge energy for me. I'm a weather witch :)

Do you mean 'the elements' such as wind, rain, solar energies, etc? This is what I use, I also include Lunar energies, tides/sea/beaches/dunes (when I'm near the sea) and Earth. Thunder storms, hail storms

Wind is a huge energy for me. I'm a weather witch :)

Earth, Air. Fire, Water...

Thunderstorms have awesome energy don't they... :)

There's also nothing like standing in the shower and letting the water run down my face to wash away negative energy.

• 10 months later...

I believe in the little people of the Cherokee ,there kind of like brownies they can be good or bad depending on how you treat them.I also believe in the four corners or elements fire,earth,water,air. These are all part of the great spirit too me.

• 3 months later...

Himself and I have been discussing an episode of Ghost Hunters, which the Host has spoken of getting more revealing into Elementals. This episode took place at a camp site in Rutledge, Georgia. ( I have NOT seen this episode, but Himself is all fired up about it ) He's been questioning me for days... regarding Elementals.

In this episode the team goes to a camp by request of a lady who is concerned with allowing her child to attend this camp site. The team is perplexed as there is an area within the camp site, that has no natural sounds, no insects chirping, or frogs or birds, or wind, it's like a void of some sort.

When Himself told me of this ... it reminded me of that weird Swamp/Bog, I've told you all about.. and how unwanted I felt, there was no sound the only time, I was there, even thinking about it as I write this, chills run down my hands.

Then Himself points to our cupboards..and he's serious.. due to the time when this house was built all the wood was from the Forest here. He points to the faces in the wood He sees, ( I saw them the moment I stepped into His Mother's Kitchen the first time ) but He's serious.. " do you see these faces, are they old trapped Elementals... I know you see things "...

Right now all I'm seeing is " corky ring spot, pink eye and deeply pitted scab" on my Tubers . I told Himself, " anything is possible".

I do know that this spring before the wood ticks came out I was out walking and felt a presense in the woods I'm priviledged to connect with, I felt " watched " and with a meandered step I'd take.. " something " else would. I started putting a bay leaf in my hair.

Regards,

Gypsy

:laugh. I always get such visual when i read your post,your ref to himself, is truly very comical in as much as how many of us have been in a same sort of situation. IKnow you see things,...... ahhhh just had to wipe tears of laughter away. On a more serious note tho,I to wear herbs on certain trips,in my hair thing is im not sure why I pick certain ones other than it feels right.Interesting!, And don't use a marker to highlight the images when your out and then rub them out when your home and seriously questioning him on his sanity.Heheeeeeee. :devil: . Love your posts just love em.