• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

I find making crumble is a good way to get into a "zoned out" state. Gently massaging the flour and butter between the finger tips... sends me into a daze, and I just have to keep doing it even when the crumble is well and truly crumbled!

I have an old cook book. My mum gave it to me, although it wasn't hers she found it in a charity shop and bought it for me as it was similar to an old one she has. Maybe even the same edition.  I fixed thin ribbons of different shades of purple to the inside of the spine, to act as place markers. I've always referred to it as my Spell Book, to the children mainly, as a kind of joke,as it has a lovely dark green cover with gold writing. Maybe it really is a sort of spell book! There's no conscious symbolism of using purple ribbon - I think I probably thought it looked good with the green and gold. Complementary colours and all that......

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#22 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

Adding large stones with intended purposes to soups is always interesting.

I am reminded of the story 'Stone soup'.

Apart from adding a lot of love and intent my food be enjoyed, I've not really done any magical cooking.  I was taught as a child to stir the pot anti-clockwise (direction the sun moves in Australia) and after making the tea, to turn the whole pot 3 times anti-clockwise before serving.  These days I tend to swirl the pot.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#23 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

Abraxia, I wonder why you were taught to do this and what it means? How interesting !!!

When I stir counter-clokwise, it is to 'reverse'.  Sometimes a recipe calls for sugar, but I'm not being sweet -- I stir it in backwards :vhappywitch:

Edited by Nikki, 06 May 2016 - 05:48 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#24 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

Brilliant!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#25 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:21 AM

Abraxia, I wonder why you were taught to do this and what it means? How interesting !!!

I imagine it's because in Australia that is the direction the sun travels.  For me, stirring clock wise is going against the sun, or would be the reverse.  It's more in connection with the environment here, which I assume was more inline with being traditional, rather than following rules.  For me, connecting with what is, where you live is more important than doing things the way they were done 'back home' when back home is half a world away and in a different hemisphere.  

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#26 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

Abraxia- that makes sense.

I'm left handed and it feels more natural for me to stir clockwise with my dominant hand. Like many lefties I'm pretty adept with the non- dominant hand however, and use that for anti-clockwise, which is the direction I stir for making something go away.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#27 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

Abraxia, that makes complete sense.  What's clock-wise in one hemisphere is counter-clockwise in another. Paying attention to that is note worthy.

Being left-handed is a funny sort of thing.... I don't think about it much about it  - UNTIL MAGIC is involved..... I 'mind' what I'm doing when mixing and stirring. Intent matters... and reversing /sending away isn't always the desired outcome.... lol.

Edited by Nikki, 07 May 2016 - 03:28 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#28 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

I always wanted to be left handed when I was younger.  I'd spend hours practicing writing with my left hand.  Got to the point where I could do it decently, but I'm still naturally right handed :)